Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Beating the first act of OS2 gives full access to a free respec machine that alters all skils and appearance to a degree (The Red Prince must be red).

Any skills learned through books don't have to be learned again but you can't use them without the pre-req stats.

There is a developer mod that allows respec in Act 1 that disables ahievements. I don't use dev mods because they bring longer load times for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like adding a respec mirror to act one would be dumb. You aren't far enough in that your builds even matter that much and new players are going to learn more by experimenting and figuring out why their builds are bad. Returning players will already know what to do. So it really benefits no one, and imo locking it behind act 2 was a good bit of game design.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I disagree, judging by how many people give up in the first act - "git gud" will probably not make them keep playing, advice from other players how they could have an easier time by using different builds might.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chaosapiant posted:

Does either of the OS games have a method of respeccing?

People already answered about 2, but D:OS 1 had it too. Only it comes very late in the game, and iirc is not free like in 2

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

People already answered about 2, but D:OS 1 had it too. Only it comes very late in the game, and iirc is not free like in 2

Respec in 1 kinda sucked because you have to rebuy all the skillbooks unlike in 2. I still did it once to really optimize my build for the endgame but in 2 it's so free you could do it every time you picked up a new piece of gear.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For the next game of this formula they might as well make skill-books permanent upgrades for all characters. It would make experimentation more viable and you could have achievements for learning every skill.

Also they should try to avoid awful bottle-necks, like maybe jacking up your level to 18 when you begin Arx.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't think I've ever been below level 18 at the start of Arx. Granted I'm one of those people that has to complete everything before moving to the next act.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Im a completionist, but not Tamerlane, so on two occasions I started Act 4 within spiiting distance of level 18 and thoroughly hosed in every direction..

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
By Arx your build should be mostly optimized so that you can punch 2-3 levels above your weight, possibly using some consumables like resist potions. Equipment is really the only thing you are lacking but the damage difference between a lvl 17 and a lvl 18 weapon is pretty small.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
95% of my respecs were in Act 1. I would have given up without it. Between the somewhat confusing skill system and the terrible starting options (I'm a...necro/scoundrel hybrid?) I think on my first playthrough, all my characters got completely re-skilled at least once.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've started this several times and never gotten out of Fort Joy.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the mirror should be in act 1 so you can change everyones instruments

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno maybe it was just me but I liked how trial and error act 1 felt. I feel like if it was hard it wasn't due to a lack of skill points and more that I didn't realize how many spells I could amass and how important they were.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The biggest lesson you need to learn in Act 1 is steal *everything*.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cuntman.net posted:

Everyone is cello, fight me

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I found out that you can get 253 free attribute points if you go from 5 polymorph to 3 polymorph :whitewater:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

cuntman.net posted:

I already finished this game once and I never understood what instruments do

In fact I completely forgot they existed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mescal posted:

I found out that you can get 253 free attribute points if you go from 5 polymorph to 3 polymorph :whitewater:

That sounds fun, I assume this is on the console? I remember on PC a bug like that used to exist.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Elias_Maluco posted:

I already finished this game once and I never understood what instruments do

In fact I completely forgot they existed

AFAIK, it's just the sound that is played whenever you progress the story, win a battle, or level up. It's very subtle.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That sounds fun, I assume this is on the console? I remember on PC a bug like that used to exist.

No it was pc version from gog. When my partner on a steam copy took over the character it fixed the bug though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I started up Divinity OS 1 today after not having played it for like a year, and I'm at a lost as to what I should be doing. I'm at Level 5, with a Witch and Cleric, Beardotir, and Madora. Right now, I'm at a quest where I have to stop a robot, and I got the controller to do it, but I lose most of my party while trying to do so. I think the next major quest beat I have is to go to the church and stop the necromancer there, but I imagine I'm underleveled for it.

I don't know if I picked a bad duo, or if I haven't picked the right skills, or if I need to craft more items, but the game feels like a slog, where combat takes a long time, and it looks like I'm not even halfway through the first act. Is there something I should do to kick things into high gear?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Aeble posted:

I got bored with summoning so I was looking around for cool builds, and this suggested that aero with a bit of hydro is the most powerful of magic builds

Quoting for good build info in that link (Info about various builds that is not a fuckign youtube video

Mescal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 24, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of OS1, how does recipes/book reading work? If one party member reads a book of recipes, do all members of the party get the recipes? Or do I need to pass the book around to everyone in the party and have them read it?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of OS1, how does recipes/book reading work? If one party member reads a book of recipes, do all members of the party get the recipes? Or do I need to pass the book around to everyone in the party and have them read it?

It's like OS2 - you don't need a recipe to combine things together, so I don't think it materially makes a difference.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WarpedLichen posted:

It's like OS2 - you don't need a recipe to combine things together, so I don't think it materially makes a difference.

I haven't played OS2, and it's true I can combine things. I just want to make sure the "list" of things I can combine is getting updated properly and I'm not just reading the books with the wrong characters or what have you. I hope that makes sense.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm a bit bored with my current party setup. Second playthrough, and I'm wondering if there's something more interesting to do with my skills allocation?
I have a classic setup: geo/pyro mage, a hydro/aero mage, a warfare/polymorph grunt and an archer/summoner ranger.

Are there interesting setups that serve as alternatives to the mages that'd be fun and still provide good elemental synergy?
e: for DOS 2

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How can I get a cluster of baddies CC'd with 4 AP? Act IV is getting hard on me. Here's how it usually goes. My partner says "oops I'm in battle," I send Lohse to their rogue with the magic triangle. To heal if needed. But then she needs to take a group of melee artists with full magic armor out of commission, and fast. She has geo from the contamination armor, and I was going to go for earthquake to knock them down, but my partner is running wayfarer and rogue, so when I show up one or two people are dead and the rest are armored. Maybe one or two have phys armor down. (At this point I sneak my summoner necro warrior in the side to do a more strategic drop in. Summon is down there in the poo poo with Lohse and the rogue, and warrior is trying to annoy their main mage on the upper/sidelines.)

Anyway, it's getting frustrating because I feel like I never get to actually do anything other than react to what the baddies are doing. My partner's running very squishy single-target soldiers who are either invisible or dead, so Lohse gets dogpiled. If either of us starts using rez scrolls, we're hosed because that's 50-75% of our AP for the turn.

It seems like every character has to fight independently of each other, and independently even of what they did last turn or what they plan on doing next. Everybody's either disabled or dying on both sides during turn 2.

Lohse knows most necro and most of the elemental skills except much pyro, since she's dabbled in all magic. For damage it would be good to do some boulder + contaminate + ignite, but first she needs to get magic armor off and at least some characters disabled. Like, immediately.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Kinda sounds like you need to plan your battles out a bit in advance. You shouldn't be running to join in battles after they start, except for the occasional screw up, and when a battle does start you guys should probably have a quick chat about a basic plan (EG: "I'm gonna turn the left side into a water/electricity hellpit, don't go there") before anyone takes an action.

The first turns of a combat are the most important ones and often decide how the fight's gonna turn out, you guys should co-operate to make sure they're as optimal as possible.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Gort posted:

Kinda sounds like you need to plan your battles out a bit in advance. You shouldn't be running to join in battles after they start, except for the occasional screw up, and when a battle does start you guys should probably have a quick chat about a basic plan (EG: "I'm gonna turn the left side into a water/electricity hellpit, don't go there") before anyone takes an action.

The first turns of a combat are the most important ones and often decide how the fight's gonna turn out, you guys should co-operate to make sure they're as optimal as possible.

I can't control how they play the game. I just need to know how to gently caress up a crowd elementally for 4 AP. Or failing that, 6.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
epidemic of fire? i guess?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Green Tea > Pyroclastic Eruption > Scroll of skin graft > Pyroclastic Eruption > Scroll of skin graft > Pyroclastic Eruption > Scroll of skin graft > Pyroclastic Eruption

For 4AP it is hard to beat that. Expensive though. Even just a single pyroclastic eruption will change fights. It is easily the most powerful spell in the game.

Edit: Idiot me, that only works in one fight due to source limitations. Incidentally, guess how I cheesed the last boss?

Edit2: You might be able to pull the combo off with the aid of apotheosis or a scroll of apotheosis. The principle anyways is cast lots of powerful spells.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2021

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Smiling Demon posted:

Green Tea > Pyroclastic Eruption > Scroll of skin graft > Pyroclastic Eruption > Scroll of skin graft > Pyroclastic Eruption > Scroll of skin graft > Pyroclastic Eruption

For 4AP it is hard to beat that. Expensive though. Even just a single pyroclastic eruption will change fights. It is easily the most powerful spell in the game.

Edit: Idiot me, that only works in one fight due to source limitations. Incidentally, guess how I cheesed the last boss?

Nah, put a Apotheosis on the turn before and you can do that any and every fight.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

After years of having this on my watchlist, I finally drunk-bought it and holy poo poo, is this fun. Brutal, but so, so satisfying. I just escaped the Fort and killed the first miniboss in the caves (after respeccing my Frankenstein characters). I'm pissed because two of my companions from the Fort disappeared on the boat, and one of them had my sweet Teleport gloves. I assume I'll run into them soonish, but I'm super missing those gloves.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

About 30 hours in and I gotta ask...how loving large is this game? I’m still in Act 1 and found a whole other map north of Cyseal that looks almost as big. I have yet to explore it but dang this game must be enormous.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
My friend and I want to change to Lone Wolves, to get rid of some of the (inventory) management and try to up the pace of the game a little. We are I would say at 3/4 of Reaper's Coast so we can use the mirror and buy new skills in Driftwood.

Any particular builds that work well together? My main is a Hydro so I was thinking of Hydro+Summoning, but my friends main is a 2H-melee fighter so maybe I should switch to some kind of physical damage dealer as well for Lone Wolf? Also I would say melee is better in Lone Wolf or does that not matter?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

About 30 hours in and I gotta ask...how loving large is this game? I’m still in Act 1 and found a whole other map north of Cyseal that looks almost as big. I have yet to explore it but dang this game must be enormous.

4 acts, although Act 1 could easily be two. My first game was ~85 hours and my second game was ~82.

Sioux posted:

My friend and I want to change to Lone Wolves, to get rid of some of the (inventory) management and try to up the pace of the game a little. We are I would say at 3/4 of Reaper's Coast so we can use the mirror and buy new skills in Driftwood.

Any particular builds that work well together? My main is a Hydro so I was thinking of Hydro+Summoning, but my friends main is a 2H-melee fighter so maybe I should switch to some kind of physical damage dealer as well for Lone Wolf? Also I would say melee is better in Lone Wolf or does that not matter?

Summoning gives you possible both kinds of damage, and works well with Lone Wolf; potentially dropping the Incarnate at Level 7 is badass. 2 points into Necro give you some physical damage spells that scale with Int. If your friend is melee, that leaves you burning/CCing the weak magic armor mobs, though, assuming you're balancing your attacks. In my experience, enemies tend to have lower magic armor. I don't think much of melee because I prefer my enemies come to me. And melee AoE is hard to set up. Now, take some Aero and you can port enemies to them, maybe...

Sloppy posted:

After years of having this on my watchlist, I finally drunk-bought it and holy poo poo, is this fun. Brutal, but so, so satisfying. I just escaped the Fort and killed the first miniboss in the caves (after respeccing my Frankenstein characters). I'm pissed because two of my companions from the Fort disappeared on the boat, and one of them had my sweet Teleport gloves. I assume I'll run into them soonish, but I'm super missing those gloves.

You can craft scrolls of Teleport, or learn it if you have Aero skills.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

Sioux posted:

Any particular [LW] builds that work well together?

I had a BLAST with:
— FANE: 2H/Necro/Polymorph. Civil: Thievery & Persuasion
— SEBILLE: Bow/Ranger/[de]buffer. Civil: Lucky Charm & Loremaster
Both have teleport, netherswap, dominate mind, cloak&dagger, tactical retreat.
Physical damage focus (both specced into Warfare & Scoundrel, etc).

I can DM you their character sheets if you like!
Any PC's would work in those roles; I just like Fane & Seb's specials.

I had also run two summoners, but found the above combo do waaay more damage, and in less turns, than minions. Charm spells/arrows do fine

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you go Lone Wolf it's perfectly fine to have one person do physical damage, and the other do magic. Lone Wolf gives you enough AP with executioner+adrenaline that your melee dude should be able to kill 2-3 enemies in a turn. Make sure both of you know haste, and have whoever goes first haste the other, then the other returns the favor on their first turn.
I like Aero+Geo as my focused magic schools for a lone-wolf player. With only 2-3 points in Hydro/Pyro for buffs and rain. The two-handed dude should learn enrage so he is doing 100% crits. Can do master of sparks if you want, but I kind of like being a "pure" physical damage guy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is the battering ram near the troll on the nameless isle functional? What about the ballistae?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think i remember trying to shoot someone off a cliff with a ballista but i dont recall if it worked or not