Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Am I crazy or is it kind of opaque and unpredictable what INT does? It seems like it makes aero effective, but doesn't do anything for pyro. For example.

Edit: on the Academy status boost/penalize thing, where you get +5 in one and -5 in another, you should do that with every character right? With the mirror, all it would really affect would be your caps.

Edit again: again: It seems like when I have my fire boi standing in fire at 99% fire resist, it hits his magic armor at full damage. Jeez. It's hard keeping his resist above 100. Elemental affinity seems like it should be one of the most powerful mage talents but it sucks. You can be standing in fire while burning and not get the affinity. Same with big electric clouds. When it works, I want to turn 2 AP skills into 1AP, but there are precious few 2AP skills. Taking a step into the element wastes the free 1AP. I could see it working for a healer standing in the water on the beach, but not much else. And, affinity doesn't seem to work with blood for necro, does it?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mescal posted:

Am I crazy or is it kind of opaque and unpredictable what INT does? It seems like it makes aero effective, but doesn't do anything for pyro. For example.

Edit: on the Academy status boost/penalize thing, where you get +5 in one and -5 in another, you should do that with every character right? With the mirror, all it would really affect would be your caps.

INT affects all magic damage by 5%, skill points into the magic schools increase damage by 10% with the exception of Necro. Pyro is generally less effective then Aero/Geo because of resistances. Many enemies will have 50+% Pyro, but 0-20% Aero/Geo so that may be why you aren't seeing as much an increase from Int to Pyro.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 28, 2021

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Mescal posted:

Edit again: again: It seems like when I have my fire boi standing in fire at 99% fire resist, it hits his magic armor at full damage. Jeez. It's hard keeping his resist above 100. Elemental affinity seems like it should be one of the most powerful mage talents but it sucks. You can be standing in fire while burning and not get the affinity. Same with big electric clouds. When it works, I want to turn 2 AP skills into 1AP, but there are precious few 2AP skills. Taking a step into the element wastes the free 1AP. I could see it working for a healer standing in the water on the beach, but not much else.

throw 2 burning daggers at enemies and 1 at yourself. it barely does any damage but if you have the torturer talent it'll set them on fire which increases fire damage. a good way to start a fight is with burning daggers -> spontaneous combustion -> fireball. same with rain for water spells. try to aim it so that youre standing on the puddle but enemies also get soaked. you can start a fight with rain -> winter blast -> hail strike/ice fan.

i havent found any real efficient way to activate elemental affinity for air and earth surfaces. i'd say fire and water are the best elements for damage partly because of that and because the spells are more suitable for spamming

resistances dont matter that much. the damage from your own burning dagger and the fire surface are barely noticeable

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Pawn is super good on mages for triggering Elemental Affinity. A Scoundrel 1 dip also gives you access to Adrenaline to make your alpha strikes stronger.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I finished up Original Sin the other day, and while i had cooled on it a little bit by the end overall i liked it a hell of a lot, so I decided to dive right into the sequel.

I'm going to make a custom character since that's what i prefer in this type of game, but it seems like the pre-generated characters might actually be pretty cool, are there any that are particularly highly regarded and i should definitely have on the team? The definitive edition has gift bags (which i guess are just mods they picked?), are any of them a must for every playthrough? The free Pet Pal perk seems like a good idea to me anyway. For that matter are there any mods that are must haves?

I've already re-started like three times to mess with some little thing or another, so i figured i might as well ask for some of the questions i was curious about before i get too much farther. Searching for guides on the net has somehow been both over and underwhelming at the same time.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Fane is really good for both his source ability and his unique story content. I'd elaborate but, spoilers.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
Definitely pick a pre-made character. I agree that Fane is probably the best for a first time playthrough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played through D:OS2 with a custom character and it was cool. Fane, Lohse and Red Prince make the best companion party imho. Fane and Lohse in particular feel the most connected to the main story.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Yeah Lohse is another strong contender. Her source ability isn't as good the ability Fane has but Lohse provides some good back story for a few events you might not have as much context for with other characters.

E: Also Beast is entertaining as a companion for some of the shenanigans in act 2.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qnECB8DZVt7s_O2_TbEbGzipfdg1zLqtj9mtFNyaFFk/edit

Divinity Unleashed's nerf list gives hints for what to overuse:

Jumps
Flesh sacrifice (heavily reduced)

Teleport (strongly reduced)

Pyroclastic (heavily reduced)

Shackles of pain
Death wish
Living on the edge
Grasp of the starved

Chicken claw (heavily reduced)
Cham. cloak
Skin graft

Adrenaline (heavily reduced)

Sparks

Throw traps (heavily reduced)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Teasing me about the devourer's armor the entiiiiiirrre loving game and I'm at the end of the game and I kill the devourer and I don't get the goddamn devourer's loving armor goddamn it? I didn't care when Ifan left my party, I didn't cry when Fane, turned me down, I just want the devourer's gently caressing armor at level 20 like you said I would!

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
That sounds like a bug. Pretty sure you get the armour regardless of who you side with in the quest.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
You collect all 5 pieces before the fight.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Can you even get the fight without collecting all 5 pieces?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
We had the full set. It didn't upgrade yet. We went to the devourer. First we sucked the souls, and the armor upgraded--but ate all the drat runes installed it. Giant frost/masterwork runes of power included. We reloaded because we wanted to fight it anyway. We killed it. The armor didn't upgrade.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/A+Hunger+From+Beyond
With all five pieces gathered, interact with the spirits again. The places of longing for the last two pieces are in the garden of the Consulate and the Toyseller's shop.
The Dreamer Lizard will then transport you to an arena where you must choose to side with the Devourer or the Dreamer. If siding with the Devourer, the Dreamer will die and the Devourer Armor set will be upgraded with the Onslaught Skill; the wearer will also be healed when they kill marked targets in battle.

NOTE: At every point where you experience the fiery vision, you have the option to resist it. For every vision you do NOT resist, your main character will be hit by 1 round of Shackles of Pain.

If you choose to side with the Dreamer, they will chain down the Devourer so that the dragon cannot move or dodge. Multiple enemies and allies will be around the room. Clear out the minions first as quickly as possible. After a round or two, the Dreamer will be knocked out and the Devourer will start attacking. It has a huge range and is healed by poison. Keep your distance and use as many strong focused attacks to eventually take it down.

If you side with the Dreamer you will be able to loot the area for additional items. Plus, your Devourer Armor set will get the previously mentioned upgrades.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Well I guess it was a glitch then. There are a couple glitches in my version (GOG direct download, not through Galaxy for what it's worth) that were patched in other versions long ago. I was thinking it was a real sadistic move to take either the armor or the runes. I'll check if the ghosts are still there and eat them if they are. Almost certainly won't work but oh well.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 2, 2021

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've played this game for 100 hours and have never gotten to Act 4. It's my favorite game that I've never beaten.

Also, if anyone cares, it plays well enough on the M1 Macbook Pro, medium settings at 1920x1200.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cuntman.net posted:

throw 2 burning daggers at enemies and 1 at yourself. it barely does any damage but if you have the torturer talent it'll set them on fire which increases fire damage. a good way to start a fight is with burning daggers -> spontaneous combustion -> fireball. same with rain for water spells. try to aim it so that youre standing on the puddle but enemies also get soaked. you can start a fight with rain -> winter blast -> hail strike/ice fan.

i havent found any real efficient way to activate elemental affinity for air and earth surfaces. i'd say fire and water are the best elements for damage partly because of that and because the spells are more suitable for spamming

resistances dont matter that much. the damage from your own burning dagger and the fire surface are barely noticeable

I've had good success with contamination for the earth elemental affinity. Granted it requires a water (or blood) surface around, but before combat those are fairly common. Also flesh sacrifice+contamination is pretty easy to setup and "free."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Finished our first go-through. (Of three concurrent plays.) Hell of a game. Haven't given a drat about a video game since like Resident Evil IV. A big fuckyou to the massive fakeout that the player characters would be battling at the end of act 3. I had a sneaky last move ready if needed: the contamination spores. Anyway, when it finally came I was rushed into it! unprepared, not properly equipped. It was close, though. I don't care that I lost. Totally don't care.

I feel like I was just this close to figuring out a good necro build. Vampire necro retribution monster kind of thing. Hard to balance the abilities cause it needs too many. It seems like necromancy and retribution would break the game pretty quickly. I changed my build so many times I never did crack any puzzle.

We'll be going again, all magic. Probably go for some mods for higher challenge and abundant gear so we won't be fighting over the best +INT gear. Team undead pyro for them, team Aero living for me. At least that's the plan right now.

And, the obvious question. Are there any other games out there with combat this good?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mescal posted:

Finished our first go-through. (Of three concurrent plays.) Hell of a game. Haven't given a drat about a video game since like Resident Evil IV. A big fuckyou to the massive fakeout that the player characters would be battling at the end of act 3. I had a sneaky last move ready if needed: the contamination spores. Anyway, when it finally came I was rushed into it! unprepared, not properly equipped. It was close, though. I don't care that I lost. Totally don't care.

I feel like I was just this close to figuring out a good necro build. Vampire necro retribution monster kind of thing. Hard to balance the abilities cause it needs too many. It seems like necromancy and retribution would break the game pretty quickly. I changed my build so many times I never did crack any puzzle.

We'll be going again, all magic. Probably go for some mods for higher challenge and abundant gear so we won't be fighting over the best +INT gear. Team undead pyro for them, team Aero living for me. At least that's the plan right now.

And, the obvious question. Are there any other games out there with combat this good?

Can fully recommend Divinity Unleashed to make the combat a bit better in this game. I don't think there is another game that does what this game does as well as this game does, though.

Maybe check out Druidstone for a single-player, budget experience.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 4, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pathfinder Kingmaker with its officially implemented turn based mode is really really good. It doesn’t do the “use the environment” stuff Divinity does, but there’s tons of classes and skills and combat options.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finally escaped Ft. Joy. Game is fun and good.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm vastly behind the times and just picked this game up on sale.

I'm fuckin' hyped, as I didn't know it was co-op.

Lookin' forward most to being able to combo elements off each other. I'm touching up on some guides for spell classes and Fossil Strike + Ignite looks like a funny 1-2 punch.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Lookin' forward most to being able to combo elements off each other. I'm touching up on some guides for spell classes and Fossil Strike + Ignite looks like a funny 1-2 punch.

Co-op is great and fun and my partner and I have been wrecking things. Nobody in Ft. Joy is safe. I can't believe it took someone this long to create a couch co-op RPG. FF6 had something where another person could control a character in combat, but I can't think of any game that allows cooperation to this extent. It's fabulous.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Fossil strike + some fire spell should be cast in every fight unless fire heals the enemies.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Rain + lighting is the real MVP.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Rain + lighting is the real MVP.

moroboshi posted:

Fossil strike + some fire spell should be cast in every fight unless fire heals the enemies.

:sickos: it's installing as we speak.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm about 20 hours in on my first game. Summoner+hunt, hydro/aero, pyro/geo, war/poly.
The game encouraged me to having one hydro/aero and one pyro/geo and diversifying made sense for seeing more of the game in one playthrough, but it seems like I might be screwing myself with opposing elements on hydro/aero pyro/geo. Should I be changing one to match the other? I know there's free respec but my limiting factor is gold to buy a whole new set of skill books. I'm not sure how much of the game is going to let me do opposing elements on different sides of the map vs have one cluster/boss where opposing is going to screw me. Thoughts?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
no way. hydro/aero compliment each other perfectly, same with pyro/geo.
something to consider is that the wet status is removed by the shocked/stunned status, which then allows your geo/pyro guy to get full damage. typically you'll have your geo/pyro guy go first. peace of mind and haste your hydro/aero guy. hydro aero casts teleport/netherswap to get everyone grouped then casts rain and an Aero AoE to stun everyone/remove wet status. pyro/geo finishes off those targets on their next turn.

physical guys hit the high magic armor guys and kills/knocks them down.

you get so many tools to manipulate the battlefield that its rarely a problem you need to worry about.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 13, 2021

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thanks! It's good to have some idea of what to work toward.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A player in my multiplayer game is hydro/aero and I get to spend the entire game shocked as a result

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Gort posted:

A player in my multiplayer game is hydro/aero and I get to spend the entire game shocked as a result

Wear that one amulet from act 1 or drink a lot of resist potions.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Do they keep raining on you?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Gort posted:

Set them on fire.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Universe Master posted:

Wear that one amulet from act 1 or drink a lot of resist potions.

Yea this amulet is one of the (maybe the only?) way to get shock immunity without spells. It's a pretty good amulet that i'll keep around for awhile.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've booted up this sumbitch to get some practice prior to going coop with a buddy.

I'm the red dragon prince, peasanting it up on a boat.

Are there any consequences? I've just been murdering the gently caress out of all these prisonboat guards with impunity. Seems like they haven't really thought out "prisons" yet.

I wish I could pick through the downed body's gear, but understand that it would really complicate poo poo on the design-end.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There are no mechanical consequences built into the game for pretty much anything you do, only potentially missed quests if you accidentally kill the wrong NPC. Generally you should try to be peaceful at first and do whatever fetch quests etc NPC's ask you to do, then before the act is over feel free to kill them all. As for the boat, literally nothing you do on it matters.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

There are no mechanical consequences built into the game for pretty much anything you do, only potentially missed quests if you accidentally kill the wrong NPC. Generally you should try to be peaceful at first and do whatever fetch quests etc NPC's ask you to do, then before the act is over feel free to kill them all. As for the boat, literally nothing you do on it matters.

Good to know. I just got myself some teleportation gloves. A very exciting development...

I gave my dude a point in telekinesis as well, but I'm not sure how to trigger it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Good to know. I just got myself some teleportation gloves. A very exciting development...

I gave my dude a point in telekinesis as well, but I'm not sure how to trigger it.

Telekinesis is automatic when you try to grab items. There are a few areas in the game where it's useful, but certainly not mandatory.