Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Thanks!

I played with my buddy and boy do I love corpse explosion. Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Universe Master posted:

Wear that one amulet from act 1 or drink a lot of resist potions.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea this amulet is one of the (maybe the only?) way to get shock immunity without spells. It's a pretty good amulet that i'll keep around for awhile.

oh yeah, that one amulet, right over near that spot with the stuff

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Gort posted:

I think they're referring to the amulet of the deep, in the scuttled ship with deathfog, right northwest of the warp point at Mordus' back door labeled Wreckers' Cave.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
The ships captain's amulet with lucky charm is found in the wreck of the deathfog ship in act two.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mescal posted:

I think they're referring to the amulet of the deep, in the scuttled ship with deathfog, right northwest of the warp point at Mordus' back door labeled Wreckers' Cave.

No. It's found off of the first void-woken you fight in act1. It's actually one of the first amulets you find at all and you get your collar off either right before or right after that fight so you can actually wear it.

Gort posted:

It's almost impossible to miss assuming you are trying to loot bodies after battles.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 20, 2021

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Gort posted:

https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Amulet+of+the+Deep

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

oh right its that big guy chilling out on a cliff next to a statue. theres a lot of wooden scaffolds in the area and he summons a bunch of skeletons to back him up. he also shittalks you during the fight

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Probably my last playthrough, at least for a while. I wanted to see if my characters could take on the whole city of Arx. Character 1 bribed a few pilgrims by the church, then accidentally prematurely hit a paladin. Then boom, ALL of the civilians rose up against the soldiers. Character 1 warped away, then everyone turned on Character 2 and started wailing on him. Now my characters were on the same team but on different sides of the battle. When character 1 showed up in city square, the merchants and paladins started beating the hell out of each other, without my character being in battle. Then she was drawn into battle. The AI seemed to get less confused by the big brawl than it usually does, possibly because of a mod that gives everyone random buffs. It seemed fairly evenly matched. If I had stood around and done nothing, the paladins probably would have killed around half of the city before being overwhelmed by force of numbers.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Picked this up recently and I'm really enjoying it. About 8-10 hours in and I just escaped Fort Joy. Went with Lohse as main, Red Prince, Fane, and Sebille. Feels like a real band of misfits who are mostly after their own interests, but will hopefully form some camaraderie over time.

Did some research on character/team building ahead of time (I live for that poo poo) and went with a 2/2 team, but trying to have something to contribute when an enemy has the opposite armor type. Not stat splitting, because I can see how that's awful, but not sitting there uselessly whenever the remaining enemies have 50+ PA and zero MA.

Red Prince - Pure Strength, Warfare, bit of Poly, 2-handers. Probably the least helpful against the wrong armor type. Might give him a point in Pyro for buffs, or the teleport gloves or something.
Sebille - Finesse archer. I love that elemental arrows are a thing, and Chloroform is great to have too.
Lohse - Aero/Hydro caster. Can't really do physical CCs, but can support with buffs/heals and teleports.

Which leaves Fane, who I'm the least certain about. I'm working towards a Geo/Necro tanky caster, but there are a lot of options that could leave me spread too thin. I want primarily magic damage, so Geo 10 is a given. I like the looks of Huntsman 2 for the Dust skills and Tactical Retreat, Hydro 1/3 for Blood Rain/Storm which also helps out Lohse a bit (and I plan to get Torturer), Pyro 1 for CE and a way to detonate oil/poison if needed, and of course any extra points go to Warfare to boost Necro damage. I know I can't swing all of those, so which would make the most sense?

Also one other thought, is it just me or is Impalement kind of at odds with itself? I rarely break both armor types on an enemy, so it feels like I'm always getting half a spell - Cripple but the damage uselessly hits MA, or damage but the Cripple is blocked by PA.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Instead of thinking about impalement as half a spell think of it as a setup for your Pyro. Geo->Pyro is a good combination. Plus it also acts as a CC in case your archer doesn't kill them. Also don't worry too much about your pure magic guys and pure physical guys not being able to contribute. Almost every fight has enemies of both armor types and even the ones that are strong to magic aren't THAT much stronger to magic. Two physical guys should be able to focus down even a strong Physical fighter if they are the only one left.
Also shield throw is a great physical spell that scales well into the late game and your magic users can and should be equipping a shield.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nibble posted:

Picked this up recently and I'm really enjoying it. About 8-10 hours in and I just escaped Fort Joy. Went with Lohse as main, Red Prince, Fane, and Sebille. Feels like a real band of misfits who are mostly after their own interests, but will hopefully form some camaraderie over time.

Did some research on character/team building ahead of time (I live for that poo poo) and went with a 2/2 team, but trying to have something to contribute when an enemy has the opposite armor type. Not stat splitting, because I can see how that's awful, but not sitting there uselessly whenever the remaining enemies have 50+ PA and zero MA.

Red Prince - Pure Strength, Warfare, bit of Poly, 2-handers. Probably the least helpful against the wrong armor type. Might give him a point in Pyro for buffs, or the teleport gloves or something.
Sebille - Finesse archer. I love that elemental arrows are a thing, and Chloroform is great to have too.
Lohse - Aero/Hydro caster. Can't really do physical CCs, but can support with buffs/heals and teleports.

Which leaves Fane, who I'm the least certain about. I'm working towards a Geo/Necro tanky caster, but there are a lot of options that could leave me spread too thin. I want primarily magic damage, so Geo 10 is a given. I like the looks of Huntsman 2 for the Dust skills and Tactical Retreat, Hydro 1/3 for Blood Rain/Storm which also helps out Lohse a bit (and I plan to get Torturer), Pyro 1 for CE and a way to detonate oil/poison if needed, and of course any extra points go to Warfare to boost Necro damage. I know I can't swing all of those, so which would make the most sense?

Also one other thought, is it just me or is Impalement kind of at odds with itself? I rarely break both armor types on an enemy, so it feels like I'm always getting half a spell - Cripple but the damage uselessly hits MA, or damage but the Cripple is blocked by PA.

This was my starting lineup but I ditched Fane in reapers coast in favor of Ifan. He was just too much of a pain to keep alive. I really wanted a skeleton on my team, but ultimately I think I like Ifan more as a character anyways.

Also I highly recommend having someone use summoning. They are crazy powerful and fun to use.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Instead of thinking about impalement as half a spell think of it as a setup for your Pyro. Geo->Pyro is a good combination. Plus it also acts as a CC in case your archer doesn't kill them. Also don't worry too much about your pure magic guys and pure physical guys not being able to contribute. Almost every fight has enemies of both armor types and even the ones that are strong to magic aren't THAT much stronger to magic. Two physical guys should be able to focus down even a strong Physical fighter if they are the only one left.
Also shield throw is a great physical spell that scales well into the late game and your magic users can and should be equipping a shield.

Yeah I realized Lohse wasn't getting any stats from her staff and changed to wand/shield, much better. Fane always had one, along with shield throw.

I forgot about the oil part of Impalement because I don't have a Pyro caster. Is it worth getting a point or two just to have spells to ignite oil/poison? Or is the damage not worth it unless you go all the way to 10?

veni veni veni posted:

This was my starting lineup but I ditched Fane in reapers coast in favor of Ifan. He was just too much of a pain to keep alive. I really wanted a skeleton on my team, but ultimately I think I like Ifan more as a character anyways.

Also I highly recommend having someone use summoning. They are crazy powerful and fun to use.

I like the extra wrinkle that Fane adds. Plus anytime there's a room covered in poison, like on the way to Withermoore, I can just have him go in first and handle it.

Summoning seems cool but also like it's its own thing and doesn't really mix with the other skills as much. I might try it in another playthrough though.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I think you generally want to invest heavily in a given element for dmg output. But a point or two for utility like frost armor, fortify, and teleport can be incredibly useful.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Clear Mind and Haste by themselves are useful enough to justify a point in Pyro. As long as you don't spread too thin, you'll have enough points to get pyro up to a respectable level even if not to 10. I'm not a big fan of pyro as my main damage just because most stuff is resistant to it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've picked this back up again and I'm wondering what to do with Red Prince. He's my geo/pyro mage. The problem is that I gave him torturer, and his fire status effects are interfering with Beast, who's my aero/hydromancer.
So I'm thinking I need to stop focusing on fire as his main damage dealing skill and more on geomancy combined with something else. Is there anything that combos will with geo that isn't fire?

Secondly, Sebille's a scoundrel with some polymorph skills (mostly for the steel heart, chameleon and chicken skills) and necromancy. Thing is I don't feel like the necro skills are doing much damage. Are you not supposed to mix those two together? I've mostly been putting points into finesse and wits, so maybe it's because intelligence isn't boosted enough...?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Don't bother with Necro on a "rogue" character. Necro is ok for a STR character with living armor, and is ok for a proper necromancer with INT. But for a FIN class, go with warfare/ranger/scoundrel/Polymorph with a splash into Aero/Pyro for the buffs/teleportation/netherswap.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Necromacy damage scales with Intelligence (and weirdly enough, Warfare because it boosts all physical damage) so if you're taking it strength or finesse character, you're using it for utility rather than damage.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Clear Mind and Haste by themselves are useful enough to justify a point in Pyro. As long as you don't spread too thin, you'll have enough points to get pyro up to a respectable level even if not to 10. I'm not a big fan of pyro as my main damage just because most stuff is resistant to it.

Yeah the issue is that I want a bunch of points in Warfare to boost Necro skills too. Seems like you get enough points to max two skills plus a few extra, so I'm looking at like 10 Geo, 3 Necro, a few points for extra skills, rest in Warfare.

Speaking of Warfare, I've read conflicting information on how it compares to other damage sources. Some say that Ranged/Two-Handed/etc. are better to pump because they have other benefits, others say Warfare trumps all because of how it fits into the damage calculation. So like right now I've got Sebille on 2 Huntsman/2 Scoundrel/1 Pyro, and Red Prince on 3 Warfare/2 Poly. Should I be putting new points into Warfare on both of them, or their respective weapon skills?

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Nibble posted:

others say Warfare trumps all because of how it fits into the damage calculation

This one is correct. The weapon skills are all kinda meh (except twohanded but that's because you get a lot crit damage from it) compared to Warfare.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was having a lot of trouble with a big fight in Arx at the end of a character's questline. My team had gotten strong enough that I hadn't really been doing much strategizing or anything lately and it had apparently made me soft.

Anyway, I finally popped apotheosis and drank some refreshing tea and my mage pretty much nuked the whole giant mess of a fight all by herself in like 2 turns.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

a kitten posted:

I was having a lot of trouble with a big fight in Arx at the end of a character's questline. My team had gotten strong enough that I hadn't really been doing much strategizing or anything lately and it had apparently made me soft.

Anyway, I finally popped apotheosis and drank some refreshing tea and my mage pretty much nuked the whole giant mess of a fight all by herself in like 2 turns.

I think they might have been unsure of their difficulty balance in act IV because they threw in those weird easy-mode options at the end. Some of the fights in Arx can be punishing, so you feel like each next battle will be easy if you just respec before, which is no fun. I will drink tea and mash pyroclastic if a battle is looking like a loss and it's not feeling fun enough to try again.

I don't see how necro is any different on a STR vs FIN character? It doesn't scale on either. I think it's never bad to have a point or two in it, to keep your vitality up, since healing isn't really a thing how most of us play, as it's almost always better to use your AP to deal damage. I think necro spells are good on early to mid game on an elemental affinity character. Necro works well with EA because it has a few damage dealing spells that cost 2 AP. Most elements deal damage with 1 or 3AP spells--Hydro, for example, I don't think it has ANY 2AP--so elem affin seems like a great theoretical advantage that doesn't really wash out.

My last character had necro and retribution, so hurt-me-hurt-you and hurt-you-heal-me, which is a fun way to play.

Give us DLC with another island to fight on please

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
A few points in necro is great for powerful utility like living on the edge, bonecage etc. If you wanna use necro spells for dmg you're looking at grasp of the starved and the necro-hydro combo spell bloodstorm and blood rain for setup.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Early-release buzz complains that Baldur's Gate III feels too much like a Divinity game, which is fantastic news. I might even get it. I wouldn't pay full price, let alone early release, for a game from any almost other studio. It would be cool if they gave you a little discount for buying early but no dice. DOSII is 60% off on Steam right now.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mescal posted:

Early-release buzz complains that Baldur's Gate III feels too much like a Divinity game, which is fantastic news. I might even get it. I wouldn't pay full price, let alone early release, for a game from any almost other studio. It would be cool if they gave you a little discount for buying early but no dice. DOSII is 60% off on Steam right now.

They don't want people who are buying it early just because it's discounted playing the buggy unfinished version, that's a recipe for bad early word of mouth.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Fair enough. Guess what, it's on GOG. I just bought a copy on GOG cause I like it better than Steam. How exciting!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
After like 10+ false starts where I got almost past the first island and started over I finally beat the drat game over a week or so of playing the absolute poo poo out of it. Ended up going with Fane as a summoner necro and Red Prince as a sword and board + polymorph + some of the geo skills that stripped phys armor later on just for thematic fun (fire spitting lizard didn't really work when everything else was phys but acid spitting lizard was the next best thing). Game rules and got me in the mood to play more CRPGs, which then got me frustrated because nothing else is really scratching the itch. I've gone from "oh cool BG3 will be fun when it comes out" to "jesus christ release it NOW"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there anything like a Divinity primer? The only other one I played at least partly was Divine Divinity.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My friend convinced me and another friend to get this so we can play it with him and immediately made a game on the highest difficulty. I didn’t enjoy it but that’s probably because I didn’t know what I was doing and things were extremely tactical and annoying. So we convinced him to drop the difficulty one step so we could at least have room to experiment but that means restarting which is fine so I at least have the opportunity to try something new.

I went with melee originally but in practice that seems to mean “CONSTANTLY stand in fire” (Christ there’s a lot of fire). So now I’m not sure what to do. Summoner looks kinda cool? Can that be supplemented with melee or should that be more of a ranged thing? I just don’t know what exactly I’m supposed to do and also it seems like I can basically do whatever I want so that’s almost too much flexibility.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

My friend convinced me and another friend to get this so we can play it with him and immediately made a game on the highest difficulty. I didn’t enjoy it but that’s probably because I didn’t know what I was doing and things were extremely tactical and annoying. So we convinced him to drop the difficulty one step so we could at least have room to experiment but that means restarting which is fine so I at least have the opportunity to try something new.

I went with melee originally but in practice that seems to mean “CONSTANTLY stand in fire” (Christ there’s a lot of fire). So now I’m not sure what to do. Summoner looks kinda cool? Can that be supplemented with melee or should that be more of a ranged thing? I just don’t know what exactly I’m supposed to do and also it seems like I can basically do whatever I want so that’s almost too much flexibility.

I found those builds someone linked in this thread pretty helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOriginalSin/comments/7dnwuq/zyocuhs_build_guides/

I guess if you go for a summoner you're not doing a lot except summon a dude and then cast buffs.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I will check those out, thank you.

My problem is I usually like going for weird meme poo poo but when I don’t understand the game I can’t do that which is unfortunate

I did learn that I can gently caress with my party members by just giving them super heavy things I find so that’s been extremely fun

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The most "weird meme poo poo" build involves using telekinesis to throw heavy objects at your enemies.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah that's fair. I'll do some looking around and see if I can find anything cool. Spears look neat, I like the extra range. Weird that they're apparently "worse" than other options though, wonder why.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah that's fair. I'll do some looking around and see if I can find anything cool. Spears look neat, I like the extra range. Weird that they're apparently "worse" than other options though, wonder why.

It's mostly that don't do as much damage as other two handed weapons. They're also harder to find and Fin generally has worse options for other skills outside of Warfare than Str does. Still a perfectly valid build if you want it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Summoner is pretty fun because the lvl 10 incarnate is insane. You can certainly play a melee summoner. Personally I like to combine it with necro because being able to get the blood incarnate is very useful when fighting enemies with low armor.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thumbtacks posted:

You can do anything you want as long as you follow some rough rules per character.
Have only one primary stat, Dex/Str/Int.
Focus on one kind of damage either physical or magic. Most types of classes have a way to deal either magic or physical damage, just be aware of which skills do which type of damage.
If your primary damage is physical you will want to max warfare, if your primary magic is hydro pair it with aero and vice versa, if your primary magic is pyro you'll want to pair it with geo and vice versa.
Necro is typically physical damage.
If you want to play with summoning, then max out summoning asap. It's a good skill.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Summoning goes with most builds becase it doesn't scale off any of your stats; only the summoning skill. Once you get a handle on infusions you can even have it swap between physical and magical damage as needed.

You need to pour as many points as you can afford into summoning, but once you've allocated 10, you're free to do as you wish with the rest.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Summoning goes with most builds becase it doesn't scale off any of your stats; only the summoning skill. Once you get a handle on infusions you can even have it swap between physical and magical damage as needed.

You need to pour as many points as you can afford into summoning, but once you've allocated 10, you're free to do as you wish with the rest.

Summoning falls off pretty quickly once you stop investing in it. It's just way too damned tempting to pile on other stuff while neglecting it, which is why everybody say summoning is great in the midgame but otherwise meh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The best way to play with summoning is to have a lvl4 character run around with some +summoning gear, the all skilled up perk and everything else in summoning so that you can get the incarnate asap. This let's you abuse most of the fights until act2 just on the back of your summoner. Then you can respec to like a ranger or something that is more fun (imo) and more effective.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 9, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly I'm just going to play something that will compliment whatever everyone else is doing. Looks like we'll have one magic guy and a ranger and then Fane will probably be relegated to support, which leaves my job fairly open. I just want to blow things up and crit a lot. maybe scoundrel or something? idk. i'm not particularly looking forward to melee in general since i'll probably spend all of it on fire if trends continue the way they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Play an Aero/Hydro mage. Give yourself some wits so you go first and learn how to stunlock people. While dealing the most damage in the game until late game Geo mages casing source skills.