Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wish there was a mod for photo mode or better camera tilting, but im playing on mac and that doesnt seem to be a thing (there is one for pc)

other than that i wouldnt change a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

exquisite tea posted:

The only mandatory mod, which you can now enable in-game, is the one that gives Pet Pal to everyone.

I should have put that as the tl;dr for my post.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Make sure you read the thread title.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm just getting to act 2, but I didn't like what I had rolled so I started over. I'm still not super pleased. I like Fane but having an eternal is such a pain for healing, I should just have made him a necro.

Gahhhh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm just getting to act 2, but I didn't like what I had rolled so I started over. I'm still not super pleased. I like Fane but having an eternal is such a pain for healing, I should just have made him a necro.

Gahhhh

just give him Leech, blood is always around

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Earwicker posted:

just give him Leech, blood is always around

Yeah, that and an elf mask

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are you always able to change party members throughout the whole game pretty much whenever you want?

like in the beginning part of fort joy i did some kind of sketchy hiring and firing of sebille to have her deal with a certain character that needed to die without the rest of my party having to really face the consequences for it. but i just figured those other party members would only be lingering around in that intro area, and after i moved on to deeper in the prison and then the swamp etc.i just stuck with my main four and never switched them. i was kind of surprised when i finished the island and got to the boat and was just a solo character again and could rebuild the party. does this mean you can actually complete all of their questlines in one game?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, you’ll be locked in shortly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Earwicker posted:

are you always able to change party members throughout the whole game pretty much whenever you want?

like in the beginning part of fort joy i did some kind of sketchy hiring and firing of sebille to have her deal with a certain character that needed to die without the rest of my party having to really face the consequences for it. but i just figured those other party members would only be lingering around in that intro area, and after i moved on to deeper in the prison and then the swamp etc.i just stuck with my main four and never switched them. i was kind of surprised when i finished the island and got to the boat and was just a solo character again and could rebuild the party. does this mean you can actually complete all of their questlines in one game?

Emphatically no.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I rolled with Lohse, Fane, and Red Prince as my main crew and they were all top tier picks. If I had a non-custom character for my fourth slot I would have gone with Sebille.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I rolled with Lohse, Fane, and Red Prince as my main crew and they were all top tier picks. If I had a non-custom character for my fourth slot I would have gone with Sebille.

thats my crew as well but with Ifan as lead

I turned Ifan into more of a thief than I think he was intended to be, and have also given Lohse a couple points in Scoundrel, but other than that play them as "themselves" and i often have the group split into two parties

i definitely want to do another, more chaotic playthrough involving Sebille.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

My group was the same though I swapped Red Prince with Sebille. I definitely would have used him otherwise though. They definitely seemed the most interesting of the bunch.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Rolled with Lohse as main, and Sebille/Fane/Ifan. Ifan felt a bit weak plot-wise compared to the other 3, but he had his moments. Sebille helps a lot with some decision making by removing the whole decision thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im about halfway through reaper's coast (i think?) and feeling a bit stuck as to what to do next. i'm level 11 and have cleared out wrecker's cave and dealt with mordus, im geared up about as good as i can be at this point, but still feel very underleveled when i try to deal with anything east of the town and getting murdered in pretty much every encounter i run into, same with that big demonic island up north

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Have you done the quests in Driftwood itself? The tavern definitely has a few. You should be able to try out the Stonegarden at level 11/12 as well

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Lohse (protagonist), Fane, Sebille and The Red Prince is a top tier crew.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

An Taoiseach posted:

Have you done the quests in Driftwood itself? The tavern definitely has a few. You should be able to try out the Stonegarden at level 11/12 as well

oh yeah good point i pretty much went straight underground at the tavern and didnt really talk to anyone in the main room upstairs, ill give that a try thanks!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Earwicker posted:

oh yeah good point i pretty much went straight underground at the tavern and didnt really talk to anyone in the main room upstairs, ill give that a try thanks!

So to be clear, and without trying to be mean, you were wandering around in a fantasy town wondering how to level up and never thought to see if there were any quests in the tavern

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So to be clear, and without trying to be mean, you were wandering around in a fantasy town wondering how to level up and never thought to see if there were any quests in the tavern

well i did initially but when i first went into the tavern i found the back room and went down into the whole underworld drug den etc. and got involved in all that stuff and just kind of forgot about the upstairs part

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Hi. I got this game cos I liked BG3. I wanna be a lizard. which class should I be

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Hi. I got this game cos I liked BG3. I wanna be a lizard. which class should I be

Keep in mind that D:OS2 is a classless system so your class is just a starting point, but Wizard is good, as points in Pyrokinetic boost the damage of your Fire Breath. From there you can continue to focus on Fire and Earth magic. Really anything works, though. Race is a pretty minor part of your character power overall so you can just pick whatever looks cool.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah I should probably just gently caress around, that's what I did in bg and I got there eventually

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you'll spend some time in the boat and fort joy getting to know your potential companions before you settle on up to 3 of them. they will have preferred classes, so i let them be those classes and ended up basing my own class on what was missing after my party composition was finalized, basically. which is at the end of the fort joy section.

ifan is my protagonist and my party is red prince (fighter), lohse (water and air based magics), and fane (fire and earth based magics) so i ended up playing ifan as a thief. but also none of them are "pure" classe except fane, red prince has points in polymorph, lohse has points in scoundrel, and ifan is still half a ranger.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 9, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I have such a tough time making synergy work with the team I pick. Just give me goddamn classes, I'm too dumb.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Earwicker posted:

you'll spend some time in the boat and fort joy getting to know your potential companions before you settle on up to 3 of them. they will have preferred classes, so i let them be those classes and ended up basing my own class on what was missing after my party composition was finalized, basically. which is at the end of the fort joy section.

ifan is my protagonist and my party is red prince (fighter), lohse (water and air based magics), and fane (fire and earth based magics) so i ended up playing ifan as a thief. but also none of them are "pure" classe except fane, red prince has points in polymorph, lohse has points in scoundrel, and ifan is still half a ranger.

If you really want a particular companion but their role is redundant you can also ask them to take on any role. I ended up playing a character similiar to Lohse' mechanically so I just chose the option that let her start as a str melee sort of build instead and it worked fine. Also you have the option to play as any of the companions, Fane is a good choice for that in particular. But you could also just play as the Red Prince since you want to play a lizard anyways and he's pretty fun. the MC as one of the premade companions gets some extra flavor/content. Though its absolutely fine to have a custom character too.

And relatively early on into the game you'll be given access to a mirror that lets you respec without restrictions. You can't miss it either. So you wont get stuck in a build you don't like.

But in early game do make note of what companions you do like and want with you for the long haul. The game introduces you to all playable characters/companions very early and it's best to decide on a permanent team earlier rather than later for reasons.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Lol at starting the game on a hosed-up boat getting fitted with some malign magical bullshit against your will, only for it to be attacked by monsters and wrecked, leaving you and some other dickheads with attitude problems to wash up on the beach

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So here's a weird question: does this game have any cheat codes or mods available on PC that would enable vulnerability, or something like that? My brainworms tell me I must complete this game before being able to play Baldur's Gate III. However, I started my playthrough like two years ago, am somewhere in Act II, and really just want to burn through the story to get through it. I know I don't need to complete this game to play BG3, but again: brainworms.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

chaosapiant posted:

So here's a weird question: does this game have any cheat codes or mods available on PC that would enable vulnerability, or something like that? My brainworms tell me I must complete this game before being able to play Baldur's Gate III. However, I started my playthrough like two years ago, am somewhere in Act II, and really just want to burn through the story to get through it. I know I don't need to complete this game to play BG3, but again: brainworms.

Same. I told myself if I can beat this game I can justify bg3

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I should add that in my previous post I meant invulnerability.

But yea, I’ve played every Baldurs Gate game multiple times, but cannot being myself to start BG3 without beating Larian’s previous games.

cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

the secret to winning a solo playthrough of d:os2 is to pick the lone wolf trait (this means you'll have to stick with being just two in the party though)

its ridiculous how broken it gets just a few levels in

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is a really good game, please don't feel the need to cheat through and waste it just to play another game from a different series. I didn't force myself to play Mole Mania before playing Breath of the Wild

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
cheating in animal friend onto everyone is OK though IMO

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
As long as you are not on Tactician you can just lower the difficulty in the menu I believe. Also I think the official mods included in the game have an 8AP option, that straight up breaks the game, together with a lower difficulty you might as well be invulnerable.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
D:OS are great games (both 1 and 2) but for me it’s because of the great tactical combat. I barely remember plot and characters for both games. They aren’t terrible but also not memorable

So taking away all challenge will make the game very boring imo, the plot on itself is really not enough

edit: also I know you know that but: there’s 0 connection between the plot of D:OS and baldurs gate. None, at all. Please try to explain that to your brainworms

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 21, 2023

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's not true, I think there's some portraits of the DOS2 cast and maybe Tarquin is mentioned? Clearly gotta rush through this game to enjoy those bits in BG3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing a Dark Urge Bard in BG3 is essentially Lohse's entire storyline.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Parallelwoody posted:

That's not true, I think there's some portraits of the DOS2 cast and maybe Tarquin is mentioned? Clearly gotta rush through this game to enjoy those bits in BG3.

Alright, that’s news for me, I had no idea

I didn’t play BG3 yet, I just assumed there was no relation

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 21, 2023

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
The Red Prince's cape is a wearable option in BG3, too. One that I rocked for my entire playthrough - to my detriment because it didn't offer any bonuses at all and better options showed up all the time. But it looked swag, and that was more important to me

cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

the portraits only appear if you or the host have the digital deluxe edition and comes alongside other d:os2 goodies like the red prince cape, lohse's lute and beast's hat, plus the shapeshifter mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Shapeshifter Mask is also extremely useful lol