Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

sorry but the bicorne stays on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ignoble Hat ftw.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I finally finished OS2 and started on Baldur's Gate 3. I immediately love BG3 a lot more than either OS game, both due to better/less goofy writing and a stronger (in my opinion) rules system. I'll probably go back at some point and play the original OS games again. But I'd been thinking about why Original Sin 2 wasn't clicking with me, and in playing BG3, I now understand why: I dislike the character system in OS2. There's a few things I dislike about it, but the main thing is having to buy skills. It always means that I don't know who has what skills I need, or even what skills are available for a particular skill set. Or, knowing where a skill is that I want and not having enough gold. Or, having to mouse over each skill just to make sure I don't already know it. I'm a big fan of the original Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Pillars of Eternity games, and what I like about them is picking new skills/abilities at level up, instead of having to scour the world for them. I also like games like Gothic or Arcanum, because while I need to find a trainer for a particular skill, I only need to find him once usually.

Without meta knowledge of the game or looking up poo poo online, Original Sin 2 has a system where I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get or what's going to be available to me as I level up. It's still a very good game and again, I'll play it again at some point, but am I the only one that dislikes that levelling system? I've not seen it mentioned before as a point of contention.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Without meta knowledge of the game or looking up poo poo online, Original Sin 2 has a system where I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get or what's going to be available to me as I level up. It's still a very good game and again, I'll play it again at some point, but am I the only one that dislikes that levelling system? I've not seen it mentioned before as a point of contention.

Pretty sure you can see exactly what you're going to get on your next level up by looking at the character sheet (e.g: stat points, ability points, perks). Whereas BG3 doesn't tell you anything AFAICT, but I am a nerd with a D&D rulebook handy to plan out multiclassing in advance.

Also all skill books say exactly what you need to use them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think he is talking about the fact you don’t know what skills/spells you are going to get because those you have to buy

Personally is not a system I have strong feelings about. It works in those games and never bothered me

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think he is talking about the fact you don’t know what skills/spells you are going to get because those you have to buy

Personally is not a system I have strong feelings about. It works in those games and never bothered me

Yea, this. Sorry if I wasn’t super clear.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I finally finished OS2 and started on Baldur's Gate 3. I immediately love BG3 a lot more than either OS game, both due to better/less goofy writing and a stronger (in my opinion) rules system.

i guess that depends both on how you play and how your dice rolls turn out, because i also just got into BG3 and my playthrough is goofy as gently caress. the first time i got in a fight i killed an enemy with an ice spell and then, in my very next move, slipped and fell on the ice i'd just created. then i got mocked by a child after failing to do a basic magic trick (i'm a wizard btw) and then on some side quest to rescue a gnome tied to a windmill and after intimidating some goblins with a longwinded speech i accidentally hit the wrong switch and sent the poor little dude flying to his death (i'm also a gnome).

most of the characters seem interesting so far but there was some kind of magic dork who was stuck in a waypoint rune, i rescued him and had him in my party for a little bit and he was extremely annoying and started demanding that i give him magical items to eat because he had some disease. gently caress him. immediately got rid of that guy. everyone else seems cool though.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 1, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sounds like a pretty successful run so far.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Earwicker posted:

the first time i got in a fight i killed an enemy with an ice spell and then, in my very next move, slipped and fell on the ice i'd just created.

Sounds like someone didn't read the thread title!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sounds like someone didn't read the thread title!

i was talking about BG3, and it was so early on in the game i didnt see any nails yet anyway

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Earwicker posted:

i was talking about BG3, and it was so early on in the game i didnt see any nails yet anyway

Oh, sorry, I misread. Yeah there are no nails to put in shoes in bg3. Huge step back imo.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Nope, even though I very much love OS2 I thoroughly agree with you that this is one of the game's major problems, and quite a fundamental one at that. Your character concept is in the game is very much defined by what skills you (want to) use, and the stats are mostly an afterthought: following logically based off of the skills you pick. But the first time through the game you are basically required to play the system backwards: putting points into stats for which you only have a vague reference and then add in skills that fit those stats. Most of the time it holds up reasonably well thematically but it is still terrible from the perspective of player agency. The game plays best when you know the skills and can make informed decisions as you level up and an encyclopedia list with all the skills in game could help immensely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Autsj posted:

Nope, even though I very much love OS2 I thoroughly agree with you that this is one of the game's major problems, and quite a fundamental one at that. Your character concept is in the game is very much defined by what skills you (want to) use, and the stats are mostly an afterthought: following logically based off of the skills you pick. But the first time through the game you are basically required to play the system backwards: putting points into stats for which you only have a vague reference and then add in skills that fit those stats. Most of the time it holds up reasonably well thematically but it is still terrible from the perspective of player agency. The game plays best when you know the skills and can make informed decisions as you level up and an encyclopedia list with all the skills in game could help immensely.

You also can respec you stats at anytime, though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larian always come up with creative and... unique systems but they don't always land, to the point where I think taking on D&D rules in BG3 was probably for the best. The skill progression stuff in Divinity is always a bit funky and I still don't think the physical/magic armour split in OS2 was a great idea, it punished hybrid builds too much (at launch) and solved a problem that didnt need solving

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and I still don't think the physical/magic armour split in OS2 was a great idea, it punished hybrid builds too much (at launch) and solved a problem that didnt need solving

That I agree. I got used to it but is not a good system

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Larian always come up with creative and... unique systems but they don't always land, to the point where I think taking on D&D rules in BG3 was probably for the best. The skill progression stuff in Divinity is always a bit funky and I still don't think the physical/magic armour split in OS2 was a great idea, it punished hybrid builds too much (at launch) and solved a problem that didnt need solving

I agree with this. I've played every Larian RPG from Divine Divinity through OS2 and while the games tend to keep getting better, they also update core character building mechanics and they're not always an improvement. Sometimes it's a side-grade, and sometimes it's just a system that probably looks neat on paper but isn't particularly fun to engage with.

I am also going to declare that Beyond Divinity was actually a decent RPG once you get past the ridiculous voice acting. I think I enjoyed that game more overall than Divine Divinity.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

You also can respec you stats at anytime, though

It's a nice feature doesn't really change anything at the core here, it works best when used for small mistakes/fixes only.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 3, 2024

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Has there been any talk yet about Divinity Tactics again or Divinity OS: III?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mescal posted:

Has there been any talk yet about Divinity Tactics again or Divinity OS: III?

They just finished BG3, they're probably working on patches or possible DLC for it, I suspect it will be a minute before we hear what Larian's next game will be.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Unless something goes bizarrely wrong with licensing, I can't imagine Larian would do a Divinity game when they could do Baldur's Gate 4.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
Didn't Swen something a while ago about how they have sized up to be able to do multiple, maybe 2, projects at once now? Might have been a different developer.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Bring back the Divinity X-com

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My uncle works at Larian and he told me they are working on another turn-based RPG, but it’s Duke Nukem Tactics.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

My uncle works at Larian and he told me they are working on another turn-based RPG, but it’s Duke Nukem Tactics.

can your uncle take a preorder?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think they said something about doing a smaller project next. personally im hoping for dragon commander 2

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

i think they said something about doing a smaller project next. personally im hoping for dragon commander 2

yeah yeah, larian, you made RPGs popular again, big deal
let's see you do the real challenge, reviving the popularity of the RTS

failing that just make dragon commander 2 but only the VN state-running bits

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's kind of a shame that Dark Alliance reboot was so terrible because Larian could have made an awesome DA3.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of a shame that Dark Alliance reboot was so terrible because Larian could have made an awesome DA3.

They should talk to Sony and get Everquest so they can make Champions of Norath 3 lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm level 13 in Act 2, going for a Warfare/strength character... I feel like whenever I look up build/opinions online, most people say 2-handed is way better than sword/shield. Am I missing something? With sword/shield, not only do you get more survivability thanks to the extra armor, but that shield throw move is so so good and in my experience seems to out-damage a 2-hander.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Shield throw is a solid move but all your other weapon skills are gonna deal less damage if you're using a shield. Strength/melee/warfare fighters will generally prefer a 2 hander. Casters can make good use of shields though for the big armor boosts and most early wands offer only minor stat increases.

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 16, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, doing a replay now and tanking isn't really effective as a strategy and late game especially turns into rocket tag, shields aren't quite as good as big 2H weapons because the increased survivability just means the enemies will target your rogue instead. I've found shields work best for mages, it makes them less squishy and if they happen to be getting a point in Warfare from some item you can add the shield throw to give them a way to do some physical damage.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That all makes sense, but like (and maybe this is just because of where I am in the game, or maybe my criteria for judging weapons is off), the 2-hand weapons I have access to in stores and such don't seem THAT much stronger than the 1-handed swords I got, like a few points in damage maybe.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That all makes sense, but like (and maybe this is just because of where I am in the game, or maybe my criteria for judging weapons is off), the 2-hand weapons I have access to in stores and such don't seem THAT much stronger than the 1-handed swords I got, like a few points in damage maybe.

That's just because of where you are and what you've found. You'll find 2 handers as treasure and stuff that are MILES stronger than one handers

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Finished my latest playthrough. Beat everyone but the two undead in the 2nd to final battle in the first round by grouping them together via use of teleport and then having Fane drop a barrel of deathfog in their midst. Reached lv 21, which I didn't even realize was possible.

Seems fitting for Lucian to go out like that, given what he did to the Elves.

Goddamn this game is so much fun.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 19, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Finished my latest playthrough. Beat everyone but the two undead in the 2nd to final battle in the first round by grouping them together via use of teleport and then having Fane drop a barrel of deathfog in their midst. Reached lv 21, which I didn't even realize was possible.

Seems fitting for Lucian to go out like that, given what he did to the Elves.

Goddamn this game is so much fun.

This is a pretty massive spoiler, might want to tag it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Good point.