Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wizards are OP, co-op is the way to go, take Pet Pal ASAFP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

Is this the thread for D:OS1 as well now? The other has been closed.

So I am finally about to play D:OS1 for the first time, the enhanced edition. What should I know to have the best time playing it? I've read a little bit, such as running it solo is less fun. What classes would be a really fun time? Thanks.

yeah, D:OS1:EE is 50% off via Steam sale right now. I was considering picking it up -- some extended info about it in the OP here would be welcome!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

pmchem posted:

yeah, D:OS1:EE is 50% off via Steam sale right now. I was considering picking it up -- some extended info about it in the OP here would be welcome!

It's discounted on GOG too. Maybe it's regional but I see it for $5 (vs 10 on steam)

The old thread is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646866
I don't know why it was closed, at least keep the link in the op.

Shy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 30, 2016

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tenacious J posted:

Is this the thread for D:OS1 as well now? The other has been closed.

So I am finally about to play D:OS1 for the first time, the enhanced edition. What should I know to have the best time playing it? I've read a little bit, such as running it solo is less fun. What classes would be a really fun time? Thanks.
A sword-and-shield guy is the only not fun to play one imo. All the other classes rock, and you can mix and match abilities to a certain degree. (For example, I gave Teleport magic to every party member for the purposes of throwing enemies into shitfires)

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Shadowblade (the rogue/mage that specs in air magic and witchcraft) is really fun and powerful but takes a bit to get off the ground. Mages are "OP" in the sense that they are sort of jacks of all trades and can deal with just about everything but rogues/two handed fighters/archers can pretty easily outpace them in raw damage, especially if you gently caress around at all with crafting/blacksmithing (which you should, just make one of the npcs the crafter for you, they dont even need to be in your party unless you need them to craft if you feel like minmaxing).

Oh yeah, and make sure you start the game with a character that has a point in water magic and the regeneration spell. Easy access to healing makes the early game go alot smoother.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
There are no classes, and truly powerful characters have at least one point in all skill trees. My most obscenely powerful Original Sin (EE) character was primarily a wizard, but her full plate, dagger and shield gave her a massive edge over the archetypal robe-and-staff pointy-hat wearing wonks.

Pet Pal is the best perk and frankly the only one worth taking. Bark! Bark! Moo.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Shy posted:

It's discounted on GOG too. Maybe it's regional but I see it for $5 (vs 10 on steam)

The old thread is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646866
I don't know why it was closed, at least keep the link in the op.

Has to be regional, it's $20 for me in both locations. If it was only $20 to get the 2-pack edition I'd buy that in a second for a friend and her husband to co-op through.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I only took a cursory look at the first D:OS and it didn't quite click, but something about this one looks interesting. I especially like the idea of a multiplayer CRPG that lets you and your friends play "in-character" with each other (something that was woefully underexplored in Star Wars: The Old Republic, the only other game I can think of that did it). I don't know if they'll actually be able to pull off some of their more ambitious-sounding ideas about multiplayer conversations or different players taking on different or even opposed quests, but I do like that someone's trying it.

When this is finished I'll have to see if I can't rustle up a full party of friends to play through. Otherwise maybe a party of goons will be available.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Divine Divinity takes places 1200 years after Original Sin and 20 years before Beyond Divinity.

http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline (it's a wikia, so expect ads galore)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/452503 found a better link

So there are ten thousand years between Dragon Commander and Divine Divinity.

Is it ever alluded to why the ancient empire fell and the technology disappeared? Does it really have to do with the gnomes?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
For those of you playing the EA (I don't want to spoil it for myself) can any of you say if the puzzles in this one are as utterly poo poo as the ones in the first game?
The thing I'm mostly thinking of is the button to get into the icey bit that the witch is imprisoned in. So many of us missed it and went on to fighting too-strong enemies because that area got missed when it shouldn't have been.

There's a tiny button on the wall. It's not skill locked or anything, it's just IMPOSSIBLE to see and there's no clues to say that's where you need to go. I just searched the room and left.

I guess I'd like to know if the story is as confused as last time as well. It felt a bit like they'd fused two stories together and neither 100% worked. They weren't bad or anything, it just felt off.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
In Original Sin is crafting/smithing worth it? I futzed around with it on a save and nothing I could make/improve was that great compared top found/bought stuff. Should I not bother, or was I doing it wrong?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hackan Slash posted:

In Original Sin is crafting/smithing worth it? I futzed around with it on a save and nothing I could make/improve was that great compared top found/bought stuff. Should I not bother, or was I doing it wrong?

It can be worth it but put it on a hired character you only pull out for crafting purposes not your two main characters or any of the companions.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Hackan Slash posted:

Very worth it, but like most things in Divinity it's a needlessly convoluted and annoying system.

Probably best just looking up a crafting guide, unless you hate yourself.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

It's mostly for sharpening weapons and armor and making arrows and stuff. You can also dismantle items and recreate them, its never really intuitive but its cool enough and worth it a little.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Phlegmish posted:

Is it ever alluded to why the ancient empire fell and the technology disappeared? Does it really have to do with the gnomes?

I'm not sure I remember this correctly, but Dragon Commander ends with you killing off all your crazy siblings, then piling up all the murdertech and bashing it into tiny little pieces so the world won't continue a cycle of technology-fueled genocidal violence.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I've been playing the Linux port of D:OS1:EE for lets see.....over 60 hrs?
In phantom forest map.

The Linux port is....ok, i guess. A bit rough & unpolished but stable.
Haven't experienced any crashes, just a few 10-20 second game freezes during combat.

note:
The Linux port has different hotkeys than the Windows version, all the loading screens/tutorial section & tooltips all reference Windows hotkeys

About half my gameplay time has been inventory management character shuffling item IDing busywork, and figuring out how crafting/blacksmithing works/fails to work.
-Inter-character dialogue windows/R.P.S. minigame is just confusing, whoever/whatever wins I roll with.
-Boss fights involving 2-5 additional enemies being summoned is getting really tired.
-I don't think I'll be able to respec my Rogue if it means losing the Zombie Nick summon.
-Encountered a weird bug where certain items/ingredients can be purchased but vanish after the vendor menu closes.
This only happens on my Charisma/bartering-NPC interaction character, other characters can buy those items & not have them disappear from inventory.
-I miss the cheesiness of vanilla D:OS, original Cyseal cheese merchant not so much.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hawgh posted:

I'm not sure I remember this correctly, but Dragon Commander ends with you killing off all your crazy siblings, then piling up all the murdertech and bashing it into tiny little pieces so the world won't continue a cycle of technology-fueled genocidal violence.

I believe Maxos clarifies that all of the technology from dragon commander was based on information extracted from the mind of the greater demon Corvos, and after a bit of reflection Maxos decided the industrial revolution it sparked was probably some kind of dark mechanation. Might explain how it arranged for whatever the hell was going on in the third act of that game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Haven't experienced any crashes, just a few 10-20 second game freezes during combat.

I've had this on the windows version quite a few times too, it's annoying as hell. I think the enemy combat AI gets stuck, and after 20s or so a failsafe kicks in and forces it to abort

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Have they done the smart thing and removed RPS mini-games, identifying/loremaster and repairing.

So much wasted time and inventory fuckery for 0 fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Phlegmish posted:

Beaten by others, but it's actually spelled out rather specifically why the technology disappeared - that's actually the reason why you're fighting the war in the first place. It's demonic technology, and Maxos charges you from the beginning with defeating your insane half-siblings and becoming undisputed ruler of the world so you can gather up all that nasty stuff and destroy it. The tech doesn't show up again until Divinity 2, which does make sense.

Strumpie posted:

Have they done the smart thing and removed RPS mini-games, identifying/loremaster and repairing.

So much wasted time and inventory fuckery for 0 fun.

RPS is out, the others are still in, but the current consensus feedback in the alpha is that repairing/durability adds absolutely nothing and should be outright removed (or changed to make it interesting in a non-annoying way).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's kind of a bittersweet end to Dragon Commander. Surely they could come up with technology that isn't demon-powered.

Did D:OS have durability? I forget. I definitely don't want it in the second game, it's such a dumb mechanic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Phlegmish posted:

It's kind of a bittersweet end to Dragon Commander. Surely they could come up with technology that isn't demon-powered.

Did D:OS have durability? I forget. I definitely don't want it in the second game, it's such a dumb mechanic.

It did and it was absolutely pointless since if anyone had 1 point of blacksmithing and a hammer they could repair everything to full so it was just a time sink.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

It did and it was absolutely pointless since if anyone had 1 point of blacksmithing and a hammer they could repair everything to full so it was just a time sink.

You could actually repair items, in battle, from a distance. Like, my rogue's sword broke in a fight, and my mage repaired it during his turn from 20 meters away.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

You could actually repair items, in battle, from a distance. Like, my rogue's sword broke in a fight, and my mage repaired it during his turn from 20 meters away.

It really did feel like one of those mechanics someone "feels" should be in but they weren't actually very comitted to it.

Nobody's answered my question about the puzzles yet! Does the game still manage to hide things in a bad way?

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I haven't experienced it personally, but I keep hearing the puzzles definitely lighten up as the game goes on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Taear posted:

It really did feel like one of those mechanics someone "feels" should be in but they weren't actually very comitted to it.

Nobody's answered my question about the puzzles yet! Does the game still manage to hide things in a bad way?

I haven't found any "find the tiny pizel-sized button" puzzles yet, no.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I like durability if it matters, but currently it doesn't. It takes forever to count, stuff has a lot of durability. You can just bust on through doors and chests, which was the thing durability stopped in the first one. I actually really LIKE loremaster in this one, because it's harder to get around. In OS1 you could just go back to base anytime, but rather quickly in this one you're put in a situation where you may not be able to find someone to identify for you.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Durability made sense in the earlier Divinity games, like in Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity.
Weapons & armour were scarce, finding a decent magic weapon was hard.
IDing unknown gear was done via a passive skill, which you may not have unlocked.
Socketed gear & gems existed, but was semi-optional like crafting in the OS series.

Durability doesn't make much sense in a game like Divinity: OS, where your party figuratively trips over magic gear & weapons wherever you go.
On the other hand, I'm kinda happy socketed gear was dropped from OS series.......imagine the headaches involved in another crafting mechanic.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Durability and identifying still have a place in games when done well but boy in this and the first one do they feel like they were put in because rpgs used to have them without much thought about why they existed. The best thing i can say about them is they never meaningfully got in my way in either game.

That said Loremaster independently as a skill is kind of neat, i like the being able to see things stats/weaknesses if you are smart enough mechanic and could easily see it still being a worthwhile skill even if IDing were removed completely.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I actually liked identifying stuff. I kinda like finding a powerful item without knowing what it is right away.

Repairing stuff seems like a time sink though. For example I also found it just pointless in the Witcher 3.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Yeah, Diablo III already figured out how to do identifying.

Let anyone, anywhere, identify anything. You get your excitement of 'New stuff!' with none of the grognard holdovers.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Has to be regional, it's $20 for me in both locations. If it was only $20 to get the 2-pack edition I'd buy that in a second for a friend and her husband to co-op through.

Might still be worth getting them a copy. The game is split screen co-op with controllers I thought.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If it's still on sale that's tempting but I don't know how splitscreen happy they are. Maybe for Christmas...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

Durability and identifying still have a place in games when done well but boy in this and the first one do they feel like they were put in because rpgs used to have them without much thought about why they existed. The best thing i can say about them is they never meaningfully got in my way in either game.

That said Loremaster independently as a skill is kind of neat, i like the being able to see things stats/weaknesses if you are smart enough mechanic and could easily see it still being a worthwhile skill even if IDing were removed completely.

Identifying, maybe. There is a sort of thrill that comes with finding an unidentified magical item. It's probably a piece of poo poo or something that you can't use and will end up selling, but what if it's an amazing OP weapon compared to what you have equipped? It's kind of like gambling.

Durability is pointless busywork. It's not fun or challenging, just tedious. It should only be included in survival games, where it makes thematical sense.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ignoring the gambling aspect (which i've always found to be a kind of pointless use of the mechanic, as you still get the thrill of maybe having found something good when you see the item has dropped but before you have looked at it) identifying works really well in things like roguelikes where not knowing what potions/scrolls/magic items do without either testing it out or using an ID scroll (which you also dont know what it is at first) adds an aspect of mystery and risk reward to the whole thing.

Durability is harder to fit into modern games well but i feel like it can work well as a mechanic to force you to use multiple weapons and change up your playstyle (new vegas and dark souls 2 did this well) or having a game that straight up disallows repairing or makes it prohibitively expensive to make you need to constantly be scavenging for things (survival games and some roguelikes do this). If it is just a number that slowly ticks down on your items that occasionally requires you to put a negligible amount of money into it every time you are in town then yes it is a worthless mechanic

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Clever Spambot posted:

Durability is harder to fit into modern games well but i feel like it can work well as a mechanic to force you to use multiple weapons and change up your playstyle (new vegas and dark souls 2 did this well) or having a game that straight up disallows repairing or makes it prohibitively expensive to make you need to constantly be scavenging for things (survival games and some roguelikes do this). If it is just a number that slowly ticks down on your items that occasionally requires you to put a negligible amount of money into it every time you are in town then yes it is a worthless mechanic

Durability is more usually an easy bulletpoint to claim you have some kind of hardcore resource management, despite even Darksouls keeping it as just a padding filler speedbump as I just sigh and slather repair powder on stuff despite being spit on by acid worms. 90% of the time, if you removed item durability, all you would lose is "I need to stop and repair my items".

Even without considering how much of the time, you do it while pausing the game yet there are still people who act like it adds "Tension" to combat, rather than disrupting it. (Look, New Vegas. You do a lot right, but smashing a backpack full of assault/laser rifles together like a caveman is NOT something I missed in Fo4).

Some stuff it makes sense for the overall game, like Jagged Alliance. Because in that case you are managing a rebellion for hire, so logistics actually matters . Note to self, play more than a confused few hours at a time every so often for JA2.

I admit, I'm more used to hearing people defending durability being the ones who are in it for the cheap E Peen they get for talking up how much more casual it would be without it. Rather than well worded defenses of the prospect. Even when it's nowhere near as engaging as they make it out to be (Still looking at you, New Vegas).

An open world type game does compound the issue, to be fair. Because then durability can turn a nice preplaced find into "Well, I practically can't repair this on the go. So uh... guess I'll just sell it/shelve it until my level scales enough for it's repair fodder to become common".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 4, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Grondoth posted:

In OS1 you could just go back to base anytime, but rather quickly in this one you're put in a situation where you may not be able to find someone to identify for you.

That just sounds annoying. I don't like carrying stuff around not knowing what it is. I guess it depends on the affect loot has but I don't want to accidentally throw away something that I needed or the game becomes annoyingly hard.

And thank you for the answers on the puzzles.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Taear posted:

That just sounds annoying. I don't like carrying stuff around not knowing what it is. I guess it depends on the affect loot has but I don't want to accidentally throw away something that I needed or the game becomes annoyingly hard.

And thank you for the answers on the puzzles.

It's only annoying if you don't have someone in your party who can identify things. That's why the skill matters for items. Also you can carry like a million things so there's no real reason to throw anything away.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

Ignoring the gambling aspect (which i've always found to be a kind of pointless use of the mechanic, as you still get the thrill of maybe having found something good when you see the item has dropped but before you have looked at it) identifying works really well in things like roguelikes where not knowing what potions/scrolls/magic items do without either testing it out or using an ID scroll (which you also dont know what it is at first) adds an aspect of mystery and risk reward to the whole thing.

How is that not gambling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Phlegmish posted:

How is that not gambling?

Fair enough.