Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This Larian Vault thing is pissing me off, it doesn't seem to be sending me the emails its claiming to be sending, aarg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jackard posted:

Wait, this comes out next month!?

:bignews:

Whoa. Like, the whole thing?

or are they gonna completely re-write it again later, again

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

exquisite tea posted:

To be honest I felt the worldbuilding in PoE was bland as heck, and all the ways of expressing your character were mostly illusory once you replayed the same sections again and saw that almost every conceivable solution still worked regardless of class + origin.

Eh, there's some truth to that, but PoE's kindof a parfait where the top few layers are oatmeal-based. There's a lot of depth and complexity "under the hood" both in terms of the writing and the gameplay mechanics, but a lot of it isn't always obvious on a first playthrough.

Overall it still kicks D:OS 1 in the pants in terms of writing though just because D:OS 1's writing is . . . well I don't want to be too harsh, it's perfectly serviceable and is fine for a video game, but . . . like, the talking underwear is a highlight. Comparing the two is like comparing late 80's Robert Asprin novels (which were godawful) to, say, something like Anne Leckie's novel Ancillary Justice (which did not deserve the Hugo award it won but at least wasn't stupid).

I agree D:OS absolutely dominates PoE in terms of tactics. I hope PoE 2 rips off from it heavily in terms of environmental interactions etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Elias_Maluco posted:

But then again, I dont like its gameplay either. Ive tried to enjoy PoE 3 times now, but failed and given up each time. D:OS was love at the first play

The later patches made PoE a lot more accessible in gameplay terms (much improved scripting for party members, among other things), so if all three tries were near release, it might be worth another attempt (if not, sorry!). Honestly, when I play I just turn on enough auto-pause options to make it functionally turn based.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Elias_Maluco posted:

In PoE there's just too much combat and I find it just too frantic and stressful, probably because I really suck at it, and I guess that's what drives me away from the game. But I think I still gonna give it one more try

Yeah, I can see that. I've never been a fan of RTwP and honestly I think the only reason PoE went with it is because of the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" thing -- PoE made a lot of questionable design decisions because of "well, we gotta throw this kickstarter together in a week." Turn based is just better, especially for those of us who are getting older and need a little more time.

They're doing a couple of things in PoE 2 to help mitigate this problem -- putting in a system where while the game is paused the particle effects go way down so you can see everything, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clever Spambot posted:

I prefer RtwP because it moves at the pace the player wants it to move at, rather than painfully slowly all of the time.

Some turn based things aren't that bad though, original sin feels decently snappy even if i wish there was an option to speed up enemy turns or having blocks of enemies all go at once during larger fights.

The only real downside to turn-based is when you get into fights with like forty enemies and you have to laboriously wait for ALL of them to complete their turns one by one. But generally that's a level /monster design issue more than an inherent flaw in the format.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Filthy Monkey posted:

I find the issue with RtWP is that it leans me towards builds which operate well with little micromanagement. I'll make things which are strong at autoattacking, rather than using finicky stills that require me to pause every half a second to reissue commands. In Pillars, I liked things like ranger builds with maybe just an ability toggle. They were click-efficient, rather than fun. ctrl-a to select the party, right-click attack enemy tends to be what easy combats devolve into, rather than anything interesting or tactical.

I think my ideal pillars party is probably something like six bear rangers, or six dragon-thrashed chanters.

I tend to go really click intensive on my "PC" and then auto-play builds on the rest of the party. It's a valid criticism though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think Dragon Age (the original, never played any of the sequels) does that well enough. You can program your party that will mostly play itself well enough for most normal encounters, and manually intervene when necessary. And programming each party member is still up to you, so is not the "game playing itself"

Yeah, DA 1 was a good game (the others weren't).

This sort of party member "set and forget" AI was absent from PoE at release but got added in later patches, which is a big part of why I suspect people didn't like it at first but came around to liking it later.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was? Last time I played you could only set some pre defined behaviors like "agressive", "passive" or something. In DO1 you could set lists of "if this, do that" that made possible to program some pretty complex behavior on your party members

Oh ok yeah, even the updated POE party ai wasn't on the same level as DAO's, sorry

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
How much of this game is out currently, anyway?

I backed the kickstarter way back but haven't touched it, so there's something in my Steam file I could currently play, but that's just like a starting zone or somethign right? And if I started playing now, would or wouldn't that be transferrable to a full release game?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any suggested mage builds at this point or is everything kinda in flux pending release?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

exquisite tea posted:

Any standout player character classes so far, or preferred class combos? I really like the look of Inquisitor, Enchanter and Battlemage and all the Dwarf models.

The only combo I figured out in a few minutes of dicking around is that

1) lizard dudes make better casters

2) you can use the lizard dude's fire breath as a free starting fire spell to ignite oil and poison clouds

3) everythin on the interweb says dual wands is the way to go long term for casters but starting out picking Inquisitor for a big whopping staff seems better

There really seems to be very very little in terms of build guides out there. I can't even find exactly what the various companion's default skill presets are. When I played DOS I, I ended up making a huge spreadsheet with level by level skill and stat picks, but I can't even figure out where to get started this time. I may have to wait till the game's been out a while and there's more data before I can really sink my teeth into it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
yeah you can customize easily. Only fixed thing about class seems to be starting equipment.

Not sure which talents are most useful. Pet Pal and Telekinesis have some uses in the starting levels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lizard wizard pet pal main has to make it into your party. Handle all of the persuasion and animal talking.

In the beta skin graft combo with adrenaline/elf ability is pretty easily the strongest thing a character can do, but who knows if it will survive until release.

You can't just use the red prince guy for that instead?

I liked how in the last game I could give pet pal to the archer lady who didn't need many other talents

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's no longer such an easy choice.

In D:OS 1, you started out with two mandatory main characters, with two choosable talents each, so Pet Pal was only one of 4 possible Talents you could have immediately. Additionally, a new Talent was available at level 3, which you can reach before (or very shortly after) leaving the first town. In D:OS 1, you start out with ONE character with ONE choosable Talent, and you get your next one at level 4, which - doing everything - you'll reach about halfway through Act 1.

You have 75% fewer Talents to start out with and it takes much longer to get a new one. Pet Pal is much less attractive to pick up because of that.

Yeah I have the same thought process. Especially since looking at the starting areas at least, Telekinesis seems much more directly useful than Pet Pal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rainuwastaken posted:

Don't forget "excited dog that loves you" voice acting.

wait this game has a pet dog?

where where where

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there a post or page anywhere that has the default starting loadouts of the various companions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ovenboy posted:

It seems like they've got the basic stat/skill/talent layout as the character presets (Lohse, for example is an enchanter), and that they'll switch accordingly if you tell them to take another preset when you recruit them. I've just tested it very quickly though, so there might be variances.

What are their preset options though and aarg why isn't this all on a webpage somewhere

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DemonMage posted:

The options are the same as the ones the PC has. You can make them an Enchanter, Wayfarer, Inquisitor, etc. when you recruit them. Instead of having to pick someone that has the right skill set, you just pick the companion you want and tell them what skill set to use.

Yeah but 1) they don't all have access to every preset right? and

2) what each preset starts with isn't on a webpage anywhere to browse while (for example) at work

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The armor they show your class with at start, that's purely cosmetic, right? Does it lock you into that look or something?

edit: second question

Are the sneaking and thieving skills useful / worthwhile ? Bartering / lucky charm?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 8, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

-Thieving is good for lockpicking, if nothing else. It also covers pickpocketing, which is somewhat useful, although there are low limits in both weight and value which mean you'll not be getting super-expensive stuff easily.
- Sneaking reduces enemy sight cones for the sneaker, which can be helpful if you want to avoid fighting when there are patrolling enemies, or to get into position before initiating a fight (but that can backfire once the fight starts and oh look you're behind enemy lines and are a big fat target).
- Bartering is okay, it lets you get more money when selling and pay less when buying. It's a decent choice to invest in.
- Lucky Charm is ridiculously underwhelming garbage, do not take it.

Ok, thanks. What I'm hearing then based on this and my limited experience with the beta and the last game is "Have at least one party member with pet pal, telekinesis, leadership, loremaster, and persuasion, and the rest is gravy."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Tyranny uses the PoE engine, just dumbs it down a bit. Neat setting though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
what exactly is the cheese combo with elves / sebelle? I see it referred to but not sure I understand it. Just that the racial talent combines well with Leech?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Prism posted:

:same:

I've narrowed it down to what skills I'm (probably) using, but deciding on a race and appearance is going to take ages.

Yeah that's me too so far. I have pretty much settled on taking a character with telekinesis, making the Red Prince either a witch or battlemage (for persuasion) and making ilfan a conjuror with leadership and pet pal. But we'll see. Need someone with loremaster.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Golden Goat posted:

Fightman talk: if you want to keep away from dipping into casting then dip into crafting and craft up a ton of grenades by stealing every empty bottle you can find.

Seriously in the first game my guy was excellent at tanking while applying various effects through grenades and upgrading armour via crafting led to some broken gear.

E: Okay now i'm looking up crafting in 2 and if the recipe for flame runes is oil and wood i'm going to be drowning in them.

I'm kinda wondering if I can do that with Ilfan, have him be summoning and leadership and then either a bow or just grenades

Do we know how many skills we'll be able to max out in the full game?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Khagan posted:

Looking through the new skill trees and I know for sure I'm going:

Enchanter + Fighter

However I want someone with Huntsman and Pyrokinetic so the other party members will be:

Huntsman/Polymorph or Huntsman/Summoning and;

Pyrokinetic/Summoning or Pyrokinetic/Necromancy

I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to divvy everything up, mostly because I don't know what the stat caps are going to be

right now I'm thinking

1) Enchanter (Lohse?) with aerotheurge + hydrotheurge

2) a Knight or Metamorph with warfare and polymorph

3) Ilfan with summoning and leadership

4) a Pyro/Geo wizard (pc?)

That doesn't leave anywhere for arrows or grenades though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nerdz posted:

I believe EA only has the first tier of spells, there are way more in the final release.

They seem to have cut down on summon spells, though. I remember DOS1 having a lot more level 1 summon spells. Perhaps they're putting the other summons on higher tiers so you can't abuse minion spam on all chars like I did in DOS1

It seems like they've consolidated all the summons into a single tree and set of powers, and type you get is depending on the surface you summon onto.

Rufio posted:

My brother died during our play through of D:OS 1 and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I'm ready for a fresh start

drat, sorry bro-dude

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 13, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

NeurosisHead posted:

Tooling around with the EA I have noticed that it's a game that seems balanced around the idea that you'll steal everything that isn't nailed down, and murder every friendly person and quest giver when you're done with them for the experience. That's not really how I like to play RPG's, but that's okay because everyone gets to have their kind of fun. But that does mean that my gear and skills and character levels will always be behind the enemy's power curve, and the only way that I'll beat even the most rudimentary encounters is by toting around 140 lbs of barrels and 10 lbs of grenades in everyone's inventory for careful ambushes.

I don't know if I actually have any fun playing this game, but I'm enjoying it somehow regardless?

Mass murder wasn't necessary in the first game and was even discouraged (killing merchants cut off access to good gear later on, for example). There was a soft experience cap that basically meant you'd reach "max level" no matter how you played as long as you completed most of the content.

Stealing everything that wasn't nailed down, ok, yeah, fair cop.

No idea if this game will conform or if it has a max level or what that max level is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jack the Lad posted:

What do you all think of ranged vs melee?

I'm assuming that there will be a need for at least one melee in the party but i'm not sure why I'm assuming that. Given the dominance of archery in the first game it's very tempting to just go archer / air & water / fire & earth / summon & leadership

Come to think of it, do characters not in the party gain experience in this game?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

What's leadership, did you mean warfare?

I' d probably run warfare/poly, fire/geo, water/air and necro/... dunno, ranger maybe? Think they changed how stats work so mixing magic with other lines might be possible now, right?

http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Leadership

The question in my head is whether to run a warfare/polymorph or huntsman/ranged physical damage party member.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, someone please post in the thread when/if it goes live on Steam so I can take my lunch break and start the download.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
They simply have to fall back on the traditional method of sending information from Ghent.

quote:

I sprang to the stirrup, and Joris, and he;
I galloped, Dirck galloped, we galloped all three;
‘Good speed!'’ cried the watch, as the gate-bolts undrew;
‘Speed!’ echoed the wall to us galloping through;
Behind shut the postern, the lights sank to rest,
And into the midnight we galloped abreast.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Thanks for the head's up folks

Hopefully someone will figure out what max level is and how many skills a player can max by endgame, so we can really buckle down with the character planning

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
While we're all dicking around waiting, can someone explain the physical armor / magic armor mechanic and how it interacts with CC?

If I build an all magic party would I still need physical damage?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Do all spell effects deal only magic damage?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MadJackMcJack posted:

All of the rock-based earth spells do physical damage, and generally knock people over as well.

EDIT: Well, all of the ones I've seen. Dunno about any that might get added in the full release.

Nasgate posted:

Certain skills/magic are physical or magic damage. The special effects like bleeding, poison, burn, etc will not take effect until the character has 0 of that armor. Armor is essentially bonus health against certain attacks aside from blocking effects.

So let's take the necromancy skill Rain of Blood which causes blood to rain down and causes bleeding on enemies but does no damage. The tooltip says it is blocked by physical armor(all necro spells seem to be physical armor based). So this means if you cast it and the enemy has any physical armor left, they won't bleed. However, if they have 10 physical armor and you hit them with a physical attack of 12, then cast Rain of Blood they will take 2 damage to hp then bleed.

A couple notes:
-there are some abilities that "pierce" so they disregard both armors. The huntsman line has at least one, as does cleric
-some skills specify that they inflict the effects after doing the damage, some don't, I haven't tested to see if that's over clarification or a legit difference

So you can totally do all magic and never care about physical armor. But, different enemy types have different armor levels. Mages have high magic armor and low physical typically, and knights are the opposite.

So what I'm hearing is that Summoning tree will be mega versatile because he can summon a rock elemental or w/e as a given damage type is needed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wolpertinger posted:

Which companion has it? if it's one of the ones I want, I might as well not take it.

It's class dependent, so any companion that starts with Wayfarer or Conjuror will start with it, which generally means Ilfan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I may have run into a bug, not sure.

I got my level up on the beach early, then went into Fort Joy and recruited party members -- Beast, Sebille, Ilfan.

Now they're all level 2 but it doesn't look like I get to level them up -- is the game autolevelling them or did I miss points?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fhqwhgads posted:

There's a beta changes list that says companions now auto-level to match you, which is different from EA. If that's true that's a terrible change...

Edit: I haven't started playing yet. Decision Paralysis strikes again.

Oh goddammit.

Do you at least get to level them when they're in your party?

I guess I need to go do the goddam boat again except this time try to get less experience

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wonder how bad a job I need to do on this boat just to not have screwed up companions later