Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Also I hope they don't give up for their late game content. The last bits of the first felt like they just randomly placed bad guys in the zones.

The first area of the EA version seems less dense than the first area of the first game, which to me implies more focus on the later areas but obviously we wont get confirmation until its for real out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Everdraed posted:

That means having 15 int swings from +30% magic damage at lvl 1 to -20% a few levels later. I can't say it felt like it mechanically impacted my play very much (later levels spawn equipment with hefty attribute bonuses, ie I found some purple boots that gave +7 int), but the notion of each new level making you seemingly get worse on paper unless you pump a single stat does feel weird and seems to discourage multi class builds. I'm guessing they'll probably mess around with it or tweak the system in general, people on their forums have been pretty noisy about it haha.

IIrc this is basically how the attributes/levels worked in the first game, it was just completely obscured to the player so no one noticed or cared.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
They built on all the good stuff of the first while minimizing the stuff people didn't like. Its real fun and so far the story/writing seems interesting.

Have they said anything about controller support for the released version? I am really enjoying playing through the first game with a controller.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
You can kind of do whatever on normal and lower. My big advice would be make characters that mostly focus on one thing but that have a useful secondary set of abilities, a ranger that knows basic healing or a rogue with the novice lightning teleport jump can be super useful.

Also dont make any of your mains a crafter, you can make one of the npc's put all their points into crafting and only add them to the party when you want to dick around with it (which you should do, because crafting is actually quite good)

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Shadowblade (the rogue/mage that specs in air magic and witchcraft) is really fun and powerful but takes a bit to get off the ground. Mages are "OP" in the sense that they are sort of jacks of all trades and can deal with just about everything but rogues/two handed fighters/archers can pretty easily outpace them in raw damage, especially if you gently caress around at all with crafting/blacksmithing (which you should, just make one of the npcs the crafter for you, they dont even need to be in your party unless you need them to craft if you feel like minmaxing).

Oh yeah, and make sure you start the game with a character that has a point in water magic and the regeneration spell. Easy access to healing makes the early game go alot smoother.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Durability and identifying still have a place in games when done well but boy in this and the first one do they feel like they were put in because rpgs used to have them without much thought about why they existed. The best thing i can say about them is they never meaningfully got in my way in either game.

That said Loremaster independently as a skill is kind of neat, i like the being able to see things stats/weaknesses if you are smart enough mechanic and could easily see it still being a worthwhile skill even if IDing were removed completely.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ignoring the gambling aspect (which i've always found to be a kind of pointless use of the mechanic, as you still get the thrill of maybe having found something good when you see the item has dropped but before you have looked at it) identifying works really well in things like roguelikes where not knowing what potions/scrolls/magic items do without either testing it out or using an ID scroll (which you also dont know what it is at first) adds an aspect of mystery and risk reward to the whole thing.

Durability is harder to fit into modern games well but i feel like it can work well as a mechanic to force you to use multiple weapons and change up your playstyle (new vegas and dark souls 2 did this well) or having a game that straight up disallows repairing or makes it prohibitively expensive to make you need to constantly be scavenging for things (survival games and some roguelikes do this). If it is just a number that slowly ticks down on your items that occasionally requires you to put a negligible amount of money into it every time you are in town then yes it is a worthless mechanic

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Phlegmish posted:

How is that not gambling?

Fair enough.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Well thats dumb, hopefully they just remove repairing before the game properly comes out. Although like the first game at worst it will be an annoyance that almost never comes up because you change equipment so fast.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I didn't think about it like that at the time but that is a good point. IIRC i still voted for the fist one because punching stuff is cool. Strength getting one more school would even things out alot and would be nice.

Multiclassing does seem a lot easier in 2 though, which makes most of the schools being one stat a bit less of an issue.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Money is fine as long as there is always worthwhile stuff to spend it on, which rpgs rarely manage. The early access version of 2 seemed to do alright with it what with the many expensive skillbooks and that skeleton that sold you really strong poo poo but it will probably spiral out of control in the second and third acts like the first game did.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Yeah source spells really aught to be 1-2 slots tops considering how many hoops you need to jump through to use them at all.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Well its not what i was expecting them to do but giving the player a ton more memory slots and making source moves never miss will definitely go a long way towards making them feel more worthwhile compared to just taking 3 more regular skills.

edit: Also rather than buffing dual wielding (when i last played it using two weapons was objectively worse than using one) they nerfed one handed weapons which is interesting. Its probably for the best since 1 AP attacks could easily inflate combat time in a way that making them cost 2 and adjusting the math a bit would not.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 2, 2016

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I did some other experiments too. It's nothing to do with long range, as moving your character closer does not change your chance of hitting.

This is GARBAGE.

Maybe i'm missing something here but how is this a bad thing? It seems like you would only notice it doing exactly what you are doing and reloading after every attack and wouldn't affect at all someone playing normally.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Fair enough i guess, if it is intended to prevent mid combat save scumming than yeah its dumb when the obvious solution of don't let them save mid combat exists.

I'm sure having a seed that generates at the start of each combat probably helps online multiplayer go a bit smoother, since each computer only needs the seed rather than transferring every individual dice roll over the course of the combat. It being a technical reason like that (or another similar back end thing) makes way more sense to me than it being a design decision but i guess it could be either at this point.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
ATM we only have access to the equivalent of the cyseal area in the beta.

But for the record, while the end of the cyseal area in the first game sort of felt like an ending (which imo is part of what made everything after it a bit lackluster) the beta of 2 ends feeling like you overcoming a massive hurdle and being ready to take on the world.

We wont know for sure until the full game comes out but the devs seem cognizant of the first games pacing problems so thats a start.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I enjoyed the writing in the beta for the most part, it has a decent mix of serious stuff and humor. Its still a fantasy setting but it feels quite a bit less generic to me (and ties more directly into the overarching divinity plot if you know/care about that at all).

Ive seen the argument that the increased number of writers (OS1 only had one writer iirc) has lead to a slightly more inconsistent tone though.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I never messed with crafting in the first because it was unintuitive and kind of bad.

Crafting was actually really good in the first game if you knew what you were doing, which made how unintuitive it was even more annoying.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Having a conversation with a villain while my coop parter slowly places a bunch of explosive barrels around them and their goons will always be a hilarious mental image.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The first act of divinity original sin 2 feels like a really cool opening to a grand adventure, as opposed to the first act of 1 which felt like "the game should end here".

So i feel like that bodes well for the pacing.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Not sure how it actually works but i'm ok with only the relevant person getting xp for character quests.

If it goes any further than that thats kind of a shame.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there anyone who actually plays coop RPGs and dicks over the rest of the party? I would stop playing with that person.

I've never met them but I've also never played a coop rpg with mechanics that supported and encouraged doing so.

At the very least i get the feeling in this game im going to be secretive about my personal quest and possibly end up on the wrong side of a quest once or twice with the rest of the group.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It offers an interesting set of advantages/disadvantages in combat imo. Its actually the biggest reason I want one in the party my first playthrough.

I understand people being annoyed because they want the fluff but not the mechanical complications though.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I prefer RtwP because it moves at the pace the player wants it to move at, rather than painfully slowly all of the time.

Some turn based things aren't that bad though, original sin feels decently snappy even if i wish there was an option to speed up enemy turns or having blocks of enemies all go at once during larger fights.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Are there still poison barrels you can infinitely fill empty bottles full of like in the first game?

Because if so being an undead is going to be sick.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Pickpocketing has some nice niche uses based on my time with the beta, like stealing back Migos ring from the quest giver.

Also people will have stuff that can be stolen from them that wont drop if you just kill them, which while unrealistic goes a long way towards making it useful imo.

edit: basically yeah lucky charm is the only one that doesn't really have much actual use, all the other ones you will get enough use out of it to be worthwhile

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2017

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Divine Divinity, beyond divinity, and divinity 2 all have an interconnected main story. All the other ones are a bit stand alone iirc.

Original sin 2 seems more connected to the series' overarching plot than 1 by virtue of taking place in a very specific spot in the timeline (right after the death of the divine) but its hard to tell how far it will go with that.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
They showed the one for Fane during the undead stream here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9aFq0jWGs&t=851s

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Playing with three other people and im gonna recommend if they want to be melee they dabble with magic too, its more interesting and helps cover the inherent downsides. Plus it really feels like the game is intended to be played that way what with the number of amazing novice level spells that synergize with non mage classes.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
If its like the first game there are crafting books everywhere that just tell you outright.

edit: beaten

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Skills being functionally part of the loot system SHOULD bug the poo poo out of me because i hate randomization inhibiting your character build options but in practice it ends up working out fine.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

TorakFade posted:

If I found D:OS almost unbearably slow, would the sequel be better? I loved turn based combat, the environment interaction, the party mechanics and found the dialogue and quests funny... but moving around outside of combat was scrolling to where I wanted to go, clicking and waiting 30 seconds for the party to trudge there. The story took forever to pick up steam. Any backtracking, of which there was plenty especially early on, was painful.

So would I like D:OS2 ?

The things that were good about the first one are better but basically all the problems you list are still there.

The story seems to get moving a lot faster though, there are a few hours of token rpg "where am i what am i doing" in there at the start but then you get in it. Also the end of the first act actually manages to feel like the end of a first act rather than in 1 where it felt so climactic that the game continuing on for 20 hours after that felt jarring. So that helps quite a bit with pacing imo.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
With the exception of the Braccus Rex fight (which i think was deliberately tweaked to take several tries) whenever I had to reload in the first game it was always because me and my coop partner weren't working together efficiently/strategically rather than us not being strong enough because we didn't kill everyone and steal everything.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Presumably because it throttles your strategic options in a strategy rpg by taking the progression of the majority of the party out of the hands of the player.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Exodee posted:

It only autolevels them as they join you. You can still level them up manually afterwards.

Ah ok, thats kind of annoying then but less of a big deal.

Points are at kind of a premium i guess and not being able to pick their first talent is kind of a shame, but it doesn't bug me too much either way.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Is there a way to hide your helmet using the controller controls? The shapeshifting mask is big and bulky and conspicuous for something that is supposed to be subtle and it bugs me.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

SoulChicken posted:

Silly question, how do I swing the camera around on the mouse and keyboard controls?

Should be A and D.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Harrow posted:

If I have two characters with the same magic skill and I want to teach them both the same spell, do I need two skill books?

Yeah, merchants restock every so often though and making skill books manually isnt that hard if you have the appropriate scroll.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Jack Trades posted:

Putting one single point into Huntsman just to be able to use Tactical Retreat is stupid good. Why would you not want 1 AP teleport that gives Haste on (almost) every character?

Tactical retreat requires huntsman 2, all the martial teleports require 2, presumably to try to stop that level of minmaxing. (it didnt work, its still worth it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm not giving any of those horrible primitives my mask and the idea that anyone would is upsetting.