Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

By the time you finalize a build for a given character, is there anything left to do?

Do monsters respawn? Is there any reason to keep on playing a single game perpetually or do you mostly find yourself completing quests, killing the main bad guy, then finishing the game in a pretty ordered fashion? In other words, is this game suited for elder scrolls style screwing around for long periods of time?

Monsters don't respawn and once you exhaust content you are done with an area. Think more diablo less elder scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
So by mistake I reloaded the link to day six, and it still let me use the old code to download yesterday's (was the Larian logo with a pope hat). So if someone is desperate for one of the older ones that might be a way to do it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

orcane posted:

Do you have the link to day 6 or to its Google form? Because the website only goes back one day for me.

Day 8: 213

Does this work? It seems to still work for me. No idea about links for other days though.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Digital_Jesus posted:

You have to dodge them until later in the story.

if you have an air mage or a rogue, just have them use invisibility and use that person to roam around and explore the mines. Depending on how you choose to do things you can actually do most of the stuff in that part with one person. For other parts you can use that invis person to scope it out when the coast is clear. (note invisibility is far better than sneak for this unless they patched it since I've played).

When you need to move the team across you can make use of a way point deeper in the mine to summon them too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

Also, how "funny" is this game intended to be? Like so much of the writing and characters are are overblown and ridiculous that seems like it's on purpose, but I honestly can't tell at times.

The game absolutely doesn't take itself seriously.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nordick posted:

Note that you can also just pick the barrels up into your inventory, and can actually throw them pretty far with a high STR character (or high telekinesis skill). So you can have a couple explosive or toxic barrels handy for any fight; start by tossing them next to your enemies and blowing them up.
Didn't there used to be some trick (maybe patched?) where items weighed less if you had them in containers within containers. Or maybe it was a special container that was modified somehow.

So you could run around with like super heavy poo poo in barrels then use telekinesis to throw them at people and do ridiculous damage to them in combat. Can't remember the exact trick to it cause I never did it but if its still in the game you should do it cause it sounds hilarious.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm finding the idea of trying to track down new skill books really tedious, do I need to worry about that while in the Fort Joy Ghetto, or could I probably let it slide for now? I'm only level 3.

Yeah if you have enough tools to get through encounters don't worry about being thorough. You still have plenty of time left for backtracking to look for things later if you want to. And as far as skill books go, I don't remember there being any permanently missable ones. Though missing out on some skills early can kinda suck of course but it's nothing that cant be fixed later.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 30, 2022

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
What can help is there's usually a couple of abilities that let magic users attack physical armor and physical attackers attack magic armor. So even if you specialize them, you can still give them one or two tools for when you want to use the other attack type so they have something to do in situations where you only want to focus on one of the armor types.

But yeah I agree, 2 dedicated physical characters and 2 magic characters works pretty well for most situations. There's also a lot of tricks and ways to cheese certain fights too depending on what you have access too, so it pays to be open minded when you approach fights. There's a lot of broken stuff you can use to your advantage if you become aware of it. Not as much cheese as the first game but still quite a bit.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
A lot of the early combat is figuring out good ways to approach specific fights. Stuff like figuring out good placement for your party before you trigger a fight, shennigans with teleport, finding which fights around are best to take given your level, etc etc. Often times a difficult fight can be avoided just by finding another way to solve a problem or doing some side quest too.

I don't think there's too much benefit to min/maxing builds right out of the gate. Just explore and try stuff. Eventually you'll get access to a mirror that lets you do full respecs which will let you pick better builds for mid/late game if you happen to need it.

But for a first playthrough I think stumbling around blind is the best experience. The only thing as people have said don't try to spread your points too thinly, but other than that a lot of stuff works. (Oh and make sure you have one person with the Pet Pal talent)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pookah posted:

I played D:OS1 pretty recently, and it's a great game that can be pretty steep on difficulty in the early game. Like, you get to the first city and if you venture outside when you're very low level, you are going to get whomped unless you know exactly what you are doing.
It evens out pretty soon, but unless you are a very experienced rpg-er who knows how to build a very balanced party, you might get a little frustrated.

Yeah that's the thing about OS1's difficulty that takes a little to learn. The encounters and xp gain are situated in such a way that the order of encounters that you need to take is almost set in stone. So if you try to skip the order and do a fight that's one level higher you will probably get murdered. Instead you have to search around the area for the next fight you need to take to get the level to do that other fight you saw first. Later as builds get more developed and you are probably learning ways to cheese the game its not as strict. But you definitely feel it in the first area.

That said, cheesing the game in OS1 is insanely fun. There is so much stupid stuff you can do that shouldn't work but does. OS2 is a better game by far but they shut down a lot of the cool stuff you could get away with in the first game.

Teleport alone has countless uses, then there's all environmental stuff, Telekinesis, all the dumb barrel things, independently controlling one hero while the other is in a cutscene to do shenanigans, etc etc.

So it's definitely a game that rewards you for testing a bunch of stuff with all your abilities.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I rolled with Lohse, Fane, and Red Prince as my main crew and they were all top tier picks. If I had a non-custom character for my fourth slot I would have gone with Sebille.

My group was the same though I swapped Red Prince with Sebille. I definitely would have used him otherwise though. They definitely seemed the most interesting of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Earwicker posted:

you'll spend some time in the boat and fort joy getting to know your potential companions before you settle on up to 3 of them. they will have preferred classes, so i let them be those classes and ended up basing my own class on what was missing after my party composition was finalized, basically. which is at the end of the fort joy section.

ifan is my protagonist and my party is red prince (fighter), lohse (water and air based magics), and fane (fire and earth based magics) so i ended up playing ifan as a thief. but also none of them are "pure" classe except fane, red prince has points in polymorph, lohse has points in scoundrel, and ifan is still half a ranger.

If you really want a particular companion but their role is redundant you can also ask them to take on any role. I ended up playing a character similiar to Lohse' mechanically so I just chose the option that let her start as a str melee sort of build instead and it worked fine. Also you have the option to play as any of the companions, Fane is a good choice for that in particular. But you could also just play as the Red Prince since you want to play a lizard anyways and he's pretty fun. the MC as one of the premade companions gets some extra flavor/content. Though its absolutely fine to have a custom character too.

And relatively early on into the game you'll be given access to a mirror that lets you respec without restrictions. You can't miss it either. So you wont get stuck in a build you don't like.

But in early game do make note of what companions you do like and want with you for the long haul. The game introduces you to all playable characters/companions very early and it's best to decide on a permanent team earlier rather than later for reasons.