Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am an old getting a cs degree (work paying for it so why not) and jesus cristo programmers are the loving worst human beings alive. Complete garbage. Asking for help with anything programming related anywhere on the internet invites the most hostile and/or smug responses I have ever read. Like just stay quiet if you don't want to help, it takes zero effort to ignore someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

oldpainless posted:

You need some help buddy? It’s called skill and talent. Try getting some.

Exactly this, someone has used stackexchange before.

My favorite is asking "how do I do X" and the first answer is "what are you really trying to do?", the second is "have you even read the documentation" and the third is "this is a repeat of thread 57527282. thread closed" but thread 57527282 is eight years old and was never answered.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I should mention at this point I'm immunocompromised, so the last few months have been especially scary, considering how big the anti-mask crowd is in the US, how the numbers just keep going up, there's no end in sight, etc. I just couldn't take someone who couldn't do something as simple, wear a mask when he goes to the grocery store and maybe not go out to eat for a few months, even if it meant people like me wouldn't be in harms way.

I hear this part. My wife is in a high risk group and there have been far too many people who genuinely have (and express) the opinion that the old and sick may just need to die. I haven't had to cut friends off like you did, but I definitely have told off acquaintances and burned some bridges when they imply my wife should hurry up and die so they can go to Chili's again.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I saw a copycat recipe for Pace picante sauce today.

It ruined my day knowing that someone out there wanted to go through the trouble of making their own salsa but deliberately made it like Pace.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I needed a real butcher today and realized there isn't one within a hundred miles. Oh there are a bunch of meat shops that call themselves butchers, but they're all fakers who just resell meat from a distributor. Glorified grocery stores with just one section

I need to move back to where God pays attention.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have some ear congestion type thing going on today and in the last hour or so it’s made me dizzy as gently caress. I’m sitting in a chair and getting motion sick without moving.

Sudafed (the behind the counter kind) can help with that if you have any around.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My breath has smelled like horse poo poo all day. I know this because I grew up with horses and I know that smell very well. It's 100% definitely the smell of horse poo poo and as far as I can recall I ate no horse poo poo.

I take good care of my mouth and breath. What foul affliction has cursed me with horse poo poo breath.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Sinus infection. Even if you lack the other symptoms such as pain, pressure, drip etc.

Ha, you know what? You were 100% right. I ended up going to the doctor and that is exactly what it was.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did you also have your sense of taste completely messed up? When I had sinus infections like that everything tasted incredibly bad.

Not immediately but yeah later everything tasted like foot a little bit.

Don't mess with sinus infections people they will make you smell like horse poo poo and taste foot all day. A terrible fate.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am making GBS threads at work right now and there is someone in the stall next to me playing music on a speaker. Loudly.

I can't decide whether this is good or not but it is a first.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I keep getting a big painful zit right at the hairline on the back of my neck in exactly the same place every time.

I have no idea what to do about it and my insurance requires a referral from my gp to cover a dermatologist. That means I have to clear time for two doctor visits and pay for both of them to maybe get a solution so it seems like I should just wait this situation out.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Through circumstance I've had to dip my toes in a few Twitter communities made up, for lack of better term, Very Online and Very Angry people. To the point where I end up getting DMed by these people pretty regularly. To clarify, this is not something I want to do at all.

I'm posting this here because it's very depressing how many people live completely online. You see someone who presents themselves as very self-confident, funny, and it looks like they're pretty decent, but once you get to know them at all it turns out all mention of their real life activities are completely made up. Some present pictures of themselves that are either not them at all or a picture from five to ten years ago. Fake job, fake social life, fake living arrangements, the whole thing. Sometimes it's more obvious ("my girlfriend was being harassed by a bunch of rednecks and I fought all of them off and I'm still angry about it") and sometimes it's less obvious ("as a licensed counselor..." from someone who in fact lives off a grandparent's ssi) but it's all just so sad.

I have never liked social media in the first place, but dang I didn't realize so many people are more or less role-playing as functional human beings.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also if you live in a detached house you are gonna deal with some random bug invasions you can't easily avoid.

Oh no bugs. Okay let's clean out every scrap of food, even in sealed containers, except in the fridge. Oh no more bugs. Well it sucks but let's take the opportunity to have everything reinsulated. Oh no even more bugs. We can't actually do anything about it being wetter or dryer in the house than outside so I guess we're just living in bug house for a few months.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there such a thing as a giant professional disappointment support group? Like for people who are mid-career and realize their choices have led them to a place they do not want or cannot succeed in.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The brass at my workplace kramered into my department and told us a bunch of people are getting cut by the end of the academic year then left. No details about who or when

I know I'm safe, but holy poo poo I have never seen such a boneheaded management move and now my workplace is anxious and dour as poo poo

Imagine having no idea whether you have a job for an entire five months holy poo poo what an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

How much was the plan you ended up with?