Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

DoctaFun posted:

Any prediction on what the prices for man city players will do as we get closer to the PL SBC ending? I kind of think they might continue to spike right until the end.

I'd assume a bit before the end is the best time to do an SBC like that, not right at the end because a lot off people probably put it of until the last minute. City players are also needed in the Gareth Barry SBC which I honestly might do. The card is pretty poo poo but i really like CDMs that pass well and I don't think it'll be too costly to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait until there's a surprise SBC ultimate challenge where you submit 11 SBC cards from the year all in one squad and get an all 99 Ronaldo

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can't wait until there's a surprise SBC ultimate challenge where you submit 11 SBC cards from the year all in one squad and get an all 99 Ronaldo

The following week FIFA 18 is released.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
After one of the craziest matches I've ever had in the weekend league qualifier final in which my opponent scored 3 off-balance crosses including two in extra time (one seconds before time expired) and kept it even despite two red cards (lol) that pk saving video I posted earlier straight up won me entry into the weekend league

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I think I'm the only person in the world who only plays FIFA for the basic career mode, its football manager for babies with real gameplay and I'm all about that.

Does the basic career mode exist or has it been replaced with the Journey thing? Also if it still exists have any improvements been made to it?

I played the demo and I'm not sure about this one, can't tell if the new engine is worse or not cause I came in predisposed to dislike it since I think FIFA had by far the best football mans simulating engine out there previously.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Career mode is still there, Journey is a separate mode that wraps a rather flimsy story around a player career mode. Dunno if it has any improvements.

Anyway this was sorta funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2Byu0_HP8

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
I need to stop blowing so many coins on what I think will be SBCs. I've got a full team of Napoli, Roma, Liverpool, Manu, malmo and norr, south korea, tottenham, plus loaded up on Juve, Series A, Italian and Argentinian players in case either Son, Higuain, or Buffon get an SBC.

I got no room on my trade pile (100) or my trade targets (can open bid and keep up to 50 in here).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I think I'm the only person in the world who only plays FIFA for the basic career mode, its football manager for babies with real gameplay and I'm all about that.

Does the basic career mode exist or has it been replaced with the Journey thing? Also if it still exists have any improvements been made to it?

I played the demo and I'm not sure about this one, can't tell if the new engine is worse or not cause I came in predisposed to dislike it since I think FIFA had by far the best football mans simulating engine out there previously.

Career mode got improved in a few ways. Now you have aditional objectives like promoting young players or increasing your club's value. Also attending press conferences increase your popularity so you sell more t-shirts.

They finally fixed the bug where your youth academy crashes the game if two players have the same name.

It's just 16's career more polished, nothing amazing but fun at least. I like it as the only online mode I'm interested this year is Parmos PC supremacy.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Filthee Fingas posted:

I need to stop blowing so many coins on what I think will be SBCs. I've got a full team of Napoli, Roma, Liverpool, Manu, malmo and norr, south korea, tottenham, plus loaded up on Juve, Series A, Italian and Argentinian players in case either Son, Higuain, or Buffon get an SBC.

I got no room on my trade pile (100) or my trade targets (can open bid and keep up to 50 in here).

I wish I had the coins to do that. I'm trying to sell sell sell to get enough coins to finish out the PL SBC cause I want that Sterling card!

I am just not fast enough at making coins though :(. I had a cash cow discard gold guy that I was selling for like 1200 coins since launch but he has slowed considerably.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
You know what would be a cool SBC for them to do?

Rare Gold Upgrade Challenge:

Exchange a team of all gold rare players
minimum team rating 82 or something
chemistry 65?

In return for a TOTW player pack(you get one un-tradeable TOTW pack)

They could make the weights in that TOTW pack like super heavy towards the discard type dudes.

The market for discard rare golds would pick up!

In other news, I just submitted my Manchester City squad. Highest rated player in the mega pack.....

Schmeichel....

BUT, Fernandinho was in there which should bring me 30k, and I got Bellerin, who I was planning on putting in my BPL squad, so that saves me 20k coins as well.

Mmmmm, Bellerin and that special Sterling along the right side is going to be pacey my friends.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I assume for the most part as it is, the recycling SBCs are traps, right? They seem like sucker bets to me.

11 non rare golds is worth an okay amount just on its face, like generally 4500-5k, and at first maaaybe 2 rare gold players for 5k isn't a disaster (for instance, I believe the pack with 3 rare gold players and a few non rares is 17500, putting the fair pack price of a rare player at something like 4500, since the other players have some value also), but you'd have to take such care to find ones that are like NEVER going to be worth anything, and I think that would be super hard. With the rotating league squad challenges and that sort of thing it's really hard for me to imagine any gold player of a major league just never being worth anything if you are willing to wait a bit.

I guess the safe ones to get rid of are ones where the SBC already passed and you didn't want that card or didn't want to do the challenge. Like if I get any MLS after the MLS challenge ends I can recycle those cards pretty safely.

After looking again at the market it looks like if you can put together a squad that's worth like 4-5k at most it's probably worth turning in for the recycling unless I'm doing math wrong but obviously it's VERY high variance and you have to want to gamble, if you just wanna buy good players you're a lot better off just buying good players with the money from selling the cards.

I don't think they would do the rare gold TOTW idea just because it would make the prices so crazy for any normal rare gold but I"m not sure. It's an interesting idea.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Want to see how I lost the weekend league entry final?

I didn't touch anything when the defender and the keeper did what they did. I don't get mad at video games, I probably legit get annoyed at fifa like twice a year. This was some next level bullshit. Especially since the game felt like playing in mud after 3 games with a smooth connection. Goals like these ONLY ever happen in the 45th 90th 105th and 120th minute. I've had it happen to me and done it to other people over the years enough times to know it's not luck. I hosed up the penalty shootout afterwards naturally.

I did the Barry squad builders because it was cheap and I was hoping to get something in the packs. I got dogshit in the packs. But I got a special Barry card for ~20k so theres that. Xabi Alonso is my favorite player right now and Barry is of a similar mold (slow CDM with very good passing) so hopefully he suits me well. Seriously though try Xabi Alonso. His passing is amazing, far beyond the fact how easy it is to pass in general. His final passes and long passing are next level.

e- I had loan totw striker Ronaldo in and the .gif captured that I had 5 shots on goal with him. It was that type of game.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 12, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ahahah sorry man but that's incredible

I just can't get myself to try the super slow players, I play a Bundes squad but I feel like I actively use my CDM to run around and try to intercept passes and poo poo too much to be able to use a 33 pace guy effectively

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess I also feel like now that we know how chemistry works, you can sort of get another player with higher pace up to Xabi's stats pretty easily with like a +passing +defense card or something if you didn't care about pace, and that player could still have 70 pace or something, but you can't get Xabi up to the pace of anyone else

They wouldn't have his passing traits though, dunno how much of a difference that makes

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Ahahah sorry man but that's incredible

I just can't get myself to try the super slow players, I play a Bundes squad but I feel like I actively use my CDM to run around and try to intercept passes and poo poo too much to be able to use a 33 pace guy effectively

I use the 433(2) and have faster players all in front of Alonso. I constantly play through him and in that formation he's like a quarterback with up to 5 players to pick out in the final third at any time. He gets a lot of time and space. The other two CMs are fast enough to track back if he's too far upfield. Alonso is very good at breaking up play despite his pace and I've been surprised by how little his pace has been a problem. The difference on the lower end of the pace scale is incredibly small, if I told you he had 60 pace you'd probably believe it. I'm undefeated with that squad right now and I have some average players + poo poo cloggers in it. One thing I did in that squad that I might replicate in others is to tell one of the fullbacks to stay back while attacking. I like using fullbacks to attack but they seem way more likely to go up field without you wanting them to this year leaving you with only 2 cbs and a cdm to clean things up a lot. I originally did it because my rb is some low rated gold with 75 pace and he's behind Thiago who isn't defensively sound but it's worked out great for me.

As for the weekend league I'm caring less if I qualify (especially this week after that). The time frame on it is annoying if you're in the states. I'm busy doing stuff every friday night/saturday so it only leaves me a little time on Sunday to play since the league expires in the afternoon.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I guess I also feel like now that we know how chemistry works, you can sort of get another player with higher pace up to Xabi's stats pretty easily with like a +passing +defense card or something if you didn't care about pace, and that player could still have 70 pace or something, but you can't get Xabi up to the pace of anyone else

They wouldn't have his passing traits though, dunno how much of a difference that makes

There's zero chance the chem styles work as purported. They feel exactly the same as when they were introduced; it feels like very minor stat boosts. Just put a sniper card on your player of choice, there's no way it gives +15 finishing and +15 dribbling. It's just not the case. As for the passing, yeah it's what makes the card. I tried Totti and he didn't feel as good despite having similar stats. Btw, the fact that chemistry styles don't do anything at all like what EA said just makes me even more suspicious of other poo poo in the game and any statements they release about stuff.

E- hunter is possibly an even easier tell, it does not at all turn an 80 pace player into a 90 pace one.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 13, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Broken gif link.

Is the above working? It's supposed to be a gif of a save I made due to random chance. If that doesn't work, YouTube link: https://youtu.be/5FyVzY0mq34

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I dont think Im going to qualify for the weekend league. Two semis and two finals in my 4 attempts tonight.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Totally disagree with you about chemistry, I slapped Deadeye on Chalhanoglu and he's a loving monster and blasts them in at will

Out of curiosity, what's your winrate on seasons and what division?

I'm not trying to start a dickwaving contest I'm not even that good, just curious since like obviously it somewhat enters into the equation of like authority about statements about what's good when I'm deciding who to listen to

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh I was also gonna say maybe pace is more important to me since I play 41212 wide and the cdm has to cover more area in the middle

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Totally disagree with you about chemistry, I slapped Deadeye on Chalhanoglu and he's a loving monster and blasts them in at will

Out of curiosity, what's your winrate on seasons and what division?

I'm not trying to start a dickwaving contest I'm not even that good, just curious since like obviously it somewhat enters into the equation of like authority about statements about what's good when I'm deciding who to listen to

A have a two wins to one loss even ratio right now (that will probably drop as I go up in divisions and people get better). I'm in division six but I've never went down a division, I've been playing mostly the weekend league tournaments. I've been in Division 1 every year if you really care. I don't think you even need to be good to understand that the boosts are not what they say. I've used a lot of 80 finishing strikers who miss a lot with sniper on (supposedly 95 finishing) but normal 85-88 finishing cards will score more for me. Calhanoglu would be good without deadeye, I think a lot of the chem boost is placebo to be honest. If chem styles were actually conferring +10 pace you'd see every big coin team with hunter and shadow on everything which you don't.

I think chem cards do something, but more along the lines of +5 which would still be noticeable. Do you really feel like an 80 pace player with hunter has +10 pace? It doesn't feel remotely like that to me. If the cards worked like they said you could just slap sniper on Bakambu and sentinel on Sokratis and have tots players for 3k. I don't think that would make sense from a gameplay standpoint or a pack selling stand point.

Also yea, your CDM definitely needs pace in the 41212 because the wingers aren't going to do much.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 13, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok sounds like we are about exactly even in skill, that's like almost exactly what my winrate is too

I actually think the chem cards mostly do what they say but I've also had like 98 pace dudes before in FUT draft and that sort of thing and I don't think they're some sort of like free license to just run past the whole defense or anything, just like you say 33 pace is faster than it sounds I think 98 pace is also slower than it sounds

But that's just my opinion, I guess if someone really wanted to be scientific they could find a player with like 90 natural pace and the same weight as a player with 80 pace with hunter on and have them like have a timed race while recording or something

Someone on reddit would probably be a big enough nerd to do that and frankly I would too if I had the time and knowledge of software but I don't currently

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I really like Totti but also I'm terrible so these two things are probably correlated. But he always seems to be in the right place (as false 9) and he has a killer shot and weak foot. I've been looking for similar players but there doesn't really seem to be any. The other dudes like kroos or Alonso seem like they wouldn't be as good at finishing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The difference between 1 pace and 99 pace is something like 4 km\h, less than 10% of the max sprint speed of a 99 sprint player.

I'm pretty sure that chem does exactly what it's advertised to do, at least irt to every stat that can be measured, the differences are just not that noticeable by themselves.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I might try Alonso though, I do have him lying around in my stockpile of Bundesliga players. I'm maybe 2/3 done now, it's definitely a slog but I'm doing 3-4 teams a day and I should be done soon.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Opened my 70 rare cards worth of packs, the best thing I got was fabregas lol. My friend won 34 games and got one of the TOTW packs and it's ALL totw cards, it's sick

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
With this game, it's easy to forget FUT is a totally optional mode. Don't know why I find it (1) attractive and (2) unfun compared to regular season/franchise mode.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the chem bonuses just break any semblance of balance FIFA has, FUT is all about min\maxing and building totally OP squads. an 82 rated squad in FUT is the equivalent of a 90 rated squad in h2h seasons, it's just a big mess.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There's also total player stats. You can use an 83 rated CM and be a worse player than a 79 rated one. I got tired of FUT last year and taught myself to not start playing at least until the first market crash.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Opened my 70 rare cards worth of packs, the best thing I got was fabregas lol. My friend won 34 games and got one of the TOTW packs and it's ALL totw cards, it's sick

How do you get the TOTW pack? Win enough games in the weekend league?

Is it seriously just the whole TOTW? If you get it could you just hold on to open it until there's a TOTW with like Messi/Neymar/Ibra/Pogba/Naldo/etc?

That's crazy...How many people actually get the TOTW pack?

I'll never sniff it, I'm terrible at this game. Did you earn all those packs through the weekend league?

I don't know what it is about those packs, I never have actually bought one, I just get them through SBC, but they are a bit addicting to open...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DoctaFun posted:

How do you get the TOTW pack? Win enough games in the weekend league?

Is it seriously just the whole TOTW? If you get it could you just hold on to open it until there's a TOTW with like Messi/Neymar/Ibra/Pogba/Naldo/etc?

That's crazy...How many people actually get the TOTW pack?

I'll never sniff it, I'm terrible at this game. Did you earn all those packs through the weekend league?

I don't know what it is about those packs, I never have actually bought one, I just get them through SBC, but they are a bit addicting to open...

Yeah, I won 22 games so I got 2 Mega Rare packs, which are 35 rare gold cards each (maybe 10-12 players), and I forgot what the other pack was, like a premium gold rare players maybe? And 45k coins straight up. I pretty much got a big nothing burger though, the only card I even sold was Fabregas, everything else I just hung onto for SBC challenges.

I think you get a TOTW pack if you win 30+ games, and they get bigger the more you win. He won 34 games which was enough to barely put him in the top 100 which are even bigger rewards. He got 3 Jumbo Rare Players packs in which he got Suarez and Pepe and the Ultimate TOTW pack, which isn't the entire like specific TOTW from a week, it's just a pack full of nothing but TOTW players. I believe he got all gold, probably because it was the "ultimate" TOTW pack, there's lower TOTW packs too. He uploaded a youtube because people kept asking him what the pack was. So like at least the top 100 people get the ultimate TOTW pack, and people who win 30+ but don't crack the top 100 get TOTW packs but I imagine they include silver and bronze players.

I'd say I probably got like 20k more just in rare fitness cards I can sell also

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Is there a limit on how many games you can play over the weekend? Apart from the literal 48 hour barrier?

I'll have to try to qualify sometime, I'm pretty bad though...

Edit: Sorry for the game of 20 questions :).

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 13, 2016

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
I think it was like a 40 game limit possibly?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep it's 40 games max, you have 8 pm Friday to 8 pm Sunday

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
I ended up losing 3 finals and didnt qualify for this weekend. I'm kind of thinking it's a blessing in disguise.

Also at least last week it was interesting qualifying because the game was new. Now it seems every player I face is using counter attack and their defensive line is basically parking the bus. I need to get better at breaking down the back line (probably need to learn some skill moves to work some space in between)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know how to make my guys all stay back like some people's seem to

Is it counter attack/park the bus that does it?

Whenever I just put it on park the bus, even if I want to legit just protect a 1 goal lead with 3 minutes left, I feel like my team doesn't collapse back like other people's teams do.

Sometimes I see poo poo where like their literal entire team collapses back whereas for me it's just my defensive line and even then they don't really go THAT far back.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
is there an xbox online club for goons?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone willing to gift me the increased transfer target and transfer list pile upgrades? I'm PhilTickelson on PSN.

I can pay you back with a poorly played match and a boost in your confidence?

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't even know how to make my guys all stay back like some people's seem to

Is it counter attack/park the bus that does it?

Whenever I just put it on park the bus, even if I want to legit just protect a 1 goal lead with 3 minutes left, I feel like my team doesn't collapse back like other people's teams do.

Sometimes I see poo poo where like their literal entire team collapses back whereas for me it's just my defensive line and even then they don't really go THAT far back.

Yeah if you use counter attack it drops your back line really deep

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought I had learned how to score at some point but I'm back to being garbage at it, averaging 1.8 per match which is exactly what I had last year

It's weird how I just go through stretches of games where I'm like "man how did I ever score any goals besides crosses or corners"

I'm mostly trying to play like a tiki taka style of short passing play where I try to get someone like completely through on goal at the end, I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot playing a wide formation?

It does seem like most of the time when I get to the opponent's box my LM and RM are just kinda not involved in the play at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Man I thought I had learned how to score at some point but I'm back to being garbage at it, averaging 1.8 per match which is exactly what I had last year

It's weird how I just go through stretches of games where I'm like "man how did I ever score any goals besides crosses or corners"

I'm mostly trying to play like a tiki taka style of short passing play where I try to get someone like completely through on goal at the end, I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot playing a wide formation?

It does seem like most of the time when I get to the opponent's box my LM and RM are just kinda not involved in the play at all

I set my RM/LM when I play a 41212 to cut inside. I also instruct them to come short instead of get in behind to get them involved in the play more. When I was using a 433 variant, I'd use get in behind and play down the wings more.

If you're focusing on Tiki Taka play, I find you need to have a more packed midfield formation.

Try the 41212(2) formation. It's not as wide and I still stick my SBC Sterling in right CM role.

EDIT: Today I learned something that I should have realised years ago. If you don't use fitness cards and rotate your bench, I've always been manually rotating players between my bench and my starting 11. Instead just make another squad with all the same players (starting 11 and your bench) and just make it the inverse of your other squad (so if one team is on the bench, make them the starting 11 in the other squad). Now all you need to do after each game is switch squads instead of manually moving players.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 14, 2016

• Locked thread