Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Does beating Matador still give the awesome earring like in IV? I somehow completely missed Twisted Tokyo and the Fiends :saddowns: I've missed on a lot of things, looks like. In my defence I was really, really excited to get to stab YHVH in the face so i might've rushed into the endgame somewhat.

No, he gives a big stick now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The biggest reward for beating Matador is being able to use Matador.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Which, to be fair, is a pretty fantastic reward. Hail 2 Andalusia.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
What level should I be before I try to go bother Cleopatra?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Aerofallosov posted:

What level should I be before I try to go bother Cleopatra?

... high. She's hard. Like "Still be prepared specifically for fighting her at over level 99" hard.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I spent a bunch of time doing sidequests and complaining I had nothing to fuse and turns out I just had to do the story dungeon

I'm using demons lower than my actual level now because at this point the special fusions all seem almost universally better than a normal fusion

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They pretty much are. Then you get to the Special Fusions made up of other Special Fusions.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Far as I'm concerned the fiend line started and ended with Matador. The rest of the fiends seem rather lovely in comparison.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They pretty much are. Then you get to the Special Fusions made up of other Special Fusions.

Yeah I literally made Baal then immediately unlocked "You have the demons for Beelzebub"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Einwand posted:

Far as I'm concerned the fiend line started and ended with Matador. The rest of the fiends seem rather lovely in comparison.
Mother Harlot is good

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is Daijousou in this game? He was a fuckin' beast in Nocturne.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

There is no Daisoujou despite being one of the more memorable fiends of past. David, Matador, the riders, Trumpeter and Mother Harlot.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
No Chemtrail? drat, I loved that concept. :sigh:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

David you're lame. go away David

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Unfortunately, David's the original fiend (along with Pale Rider and, oddly, Daisoujou), so we're probably stuck with him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed as hell that Daisoujou was kicked to the curb :smith: He was rad as hell and a staple of my team in Nocturne.

VVV :hfive:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 19, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed as hell that Daisoujou was kicked to the curb :smith: He was rad as hell and a staple of my team in Nocturne.

No joke, in Nocturne I used Daisoujou basically from whenever I could fuse him until endgame completely on the power of Prayer and the HP/MP drain. Sometimes he got shuffled into the reserve, but he always came back and never got fused into anything else.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Prism posted:

No joke, in Nocturne I used Daisoujou basically from whenever I could fuse him until endgame completely on the power of Prayer and the HP/MP drain. Sometimes he got shuffled into the reserve, but he always came back and never got fused into anything else.

I think most people did that. It looks like in this one people did something similar with Alice if all the spotpasses I keep seeing are an indication.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think I've ever kept a demon around all game. Don't they end up costing an absurd amount of XP to level up past a certain point and thus being non-viable for the endgame? Or do special fusions not do that?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think I've ever kept a demon around all game. Don't they end up costing an absurd amount of XP to level up past a certain point and thus being non-viable for the endgame? Or do special fusions not do that?
No, they all do. Alice is really goddamn good, for what it's worth.

I'm up to the final dungeon at this point and...ugh. This place is boring, it's ugly, it's repetitive, there's no clear path forward, and the music is awful. The Egg really should have been the last dungeon. On the plus side, I've got some Fiends and a few other insane endgame demons, so that's nice.

Might do another run after this as a Str or Dex spec, depending on how hard I burn out on the final dungeon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alice is a midgame Demon with some extremely unique and useful Endgame traits. Namely, her immunity to all status effects and what I believe is the only Severe AoE Dark spell in the game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They take a lot of XP, but since he never left the party he got it and wasn't that far behind. IIRC there was an XP-required spike after he stopped learning abilities, but only one; it didn't keep growing out of control, it just stayed fairly high. Also, his main benefit (Prayer) doesn't care what his or anybody else's stats are as it is always a full heal, and when Makakaja went out his Meditation drain was acceptable to keep him praying away. Plus, he reflects Expel and Death, and absorbs Curse, Mind and Nerve, with no weaknesses, which is solid.

I wouldn't have done it with most demons, but for Daisoujou in Nocturne in drain-and-heal mode it was fine. He could even throw out Mamudoon and Mahamaon in random encounters if they'd work.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 20, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

with the +stat on levelup apps in SMTIV you could do fun stuff with a lot of grinding/the exp dlc

pabilsag is one of the prime choices to kill the dlc superboss, for example

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow this last dungeon is kind of annoying isn't it

I think I did almost everything else, I don't have any more sidequests in the Challenges tab and I got far enough in Twisted Tokyo to get Matador which is about as far as I care to go. I guess I can buy and do some of the DLC?

I'll be honest one thing I did like about the last dungeon is it goes with the weird metaphysics idea that String Theory is an explanation for how god acts outside the nature of the universe (Can see everything at once, can interact with 3D space in a non 3D way )

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Am I the only one who despises the whole "You must use the previous fiend to get the next one" deal? I like my Matador. I like White Rider. Stop making me give them up like 5 times over.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Am I the only one who despises the whole "You must use the previous fiend to get the next one" deal? I like my Matador. I like White Rider. Stop making me give them up like 5 times over.
At least in Apocalypse, there's no 1/256 chance of encountering a Fiend.

I regret nothing!! :unsmigghh:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

BipolarAurora posted:

At least in Apocalypse, there's no 1/256 chance of encountering a Fiend.

I regret nothing!! :unsmigghh:

This fills me with equal parts joy and dread. I look forward to smashing my face against them in desperate bids to unlock them for fusing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Beat the game, clocked around 50 hours.

If it had ended after the Egg, the game would have been close to perfect. The final dungeon was a very very bad idea. Fortunately, the game is good enough in general that it survives having a shittacular closer. I actually don't want to do the solo route because I like this bunch of goofballs :3: Twisted Tokyo was also kind of dull, like they had a "You must be this bored to fight Fiends" meter from last game they still had to cram in somewhere. I ended up beating all the Riders but I didn't bother going all the way through, and I didn't have any of the paid DLC.

Actually doing a Dex run now. Lack of easy Smirks and free turns unless I use attack items, but still drat solid. Out of curiosity, is there a list anywhere of funky-scaling skills? Desperate Hit, for instance - is that a Dex-scaling Almighty skill?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

at half moon, very good game so far despite the fact that i have to stop every 5 seconds to do a fuseathon but that's par for the course.

i guess it says good things about the sidekicks that i can't see why anyone would ever do the rear end in a top hat route. these morons rule.

EDIT: also I hope Chemtrail comes back someday, that was a really good demon design/concept.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Now I have time to actually sit down and play this thing but I can't decide whether to do Phys or Gun. I assume there's a pretty good selection of moves for both? (I did magic last SMT game I played so I'm leaning away from it this time, though I figure I'll have room for a couple buffs/debuffs/heals on a physical build.)

Edit: I've heard a couple people mention a Luck build, too. How does that even work? You've gotta put points into something damaging, but what?

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 1, 2016

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Prism posted:

Now I have time to actually sit down and play this thing but I can't decide whether to do Phys or Gun. I assume there's a pretty good selection of moves for both? (I did magic last SMT game I played so I'm leaning away from it this time, though I figure I'll have room for a couple buffs/debuffs/heals on a physical build.)

Edit: I've heard a couple people mention a Luck build, too. How does that even work? You've gotta put points into something damaging, but what?

They're both pretty good. When you get to the top-tier skills I'd say that Phys edges out Gun in terms of raw damage, but a lot more bosses and enemies are weak to Gun than they are to Phys so it balances out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Genpei Turtle posted:

They're both pretty good. When you get to the top-tier skills I'd say that Phys edges out Gun in terms of raw damage, but a lot more bosses and enemies are weak to Gun than they are to Phys so it balances out.

I'd be more worried about nulls/reflects/drains until the very end game, honestly, but generally Phys/Gun tend to get less of those than the elemental types. Thanks for the answer; I'll probably just go Phys and be the straightforward bruiser of my team with a bunch of specialty demons.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Prism posted:

I did Agi/Luck, and grabbed lots of status and insta kills. Random encounters are often over in one mahamoan, status moves almost always hit, and with a multi hit gun I usually get a crit AND the status.

For bosses I mostly end up running support with debuffs and healing, although you pick up enough Dex and Mag from incense for a good gun or hama/mudo to do decent damage. Plus, lots of free press turns from dodging everything. It's probably not as effective as an offensive build, but it's really fun.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just bought my own 3DS just to play this game (and others, but priority was this) and I'm really liking it so far. The quality of life improvements from SMT4 are insane, I'm not sure if I could go back and play that.

Currently about level 23 and just met Krishna who I totally thought was the Pied Piper. I really like the design though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Apocalypse is finally out this week in PAL-land!

I'm at the end-game of SMT IV and I really should just finish it but I can't stop doing side-quests.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Apocalypse is finally out this week in PAL-land!

I'm at the end-game of SMT IV and I really should just finish it but I can't stop doing side-quests.

You're in luck if you're on the Neutral route you have to do them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I sort of accidentally ended up on the Neutral route and I did read that you have to do a ton of sidequests. I kinda started doing some because when I got back to regular Tokyo i wasn't sure where to go. Well, actually, I went to Naraku to see could I get back to Mikado. I did figure out how to progress the Main quest but Isabeau's "hint" when you get to the barrier at the entrance to Naraku still kind of makes no sense. I presume it's just plot locked.

• Locked thread