Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Armor-Piercing posted:

What kind of skills do you use on a luck build?

You'll be depending on your demons more. I used multi-hit guns that will crit all over the place barring pierce immune enemies. Deficiencies covered with -kaja spells. Luck also effects Light/Dark spells, but seeing how they have been changed in Apocalypse, not sure where that will leave me.

Edit: Also more dependent on equipment to make up for the stat deficiencies and if I get hit with status effects, they normally go away in a turn (that's more toward half way through the game).

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Holy poo poo a direct sequel to my favorite 3DS game! What the gently caress how have I not heard about this. And it's out right now holy fuckkk

Someone please tell me the OST is as good as smtIV.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

NTT posted:

Holy poo poo a direct sequel to my favorite 3DS game! What the gently caress how have I not heard about this. And it's out right now holy fuckkk

The OST is pretty great so far.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The few new tracks that I've heard have all been solid. I especially like the new bar theme.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NTT posted:

The OST is better so far, imho! I really, really wish it had come with a soundtrack CD like the SMTIV preorder did.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Awesome; I guess I'm going to a Gamestop tomorrow to pick up a copy.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
So I picked this up on a whim, having not played SMT IV. Can anyone point me in the direction of a plot synopsis for that game? Google is failing me...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The one on wikipedia is a little bare bones, but hits the major beats.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

.Ataraxia. posted:

So I picked this up on a whim, having not played SMT IV. Can anyone point me in the direction of a plot synopsis for that game? Google is failing me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV#Plot

Edit: Beaten.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Man the plot in that game is convoluted as gently caress lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to dig into this later. I remember the important stuff from IV but never actually got the neutral ending despite getting the others.

Can someone remind me what the "white ending" was? It sounds familiar but I'm not sure I ever did it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's the early, bad ending where you decide that the White's idea of erasing all of existence is pretty cool and then do so.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Can't wait to dig into this later. I remember the important stuff from IV but never actually got the neutral ending despite getting the others.

Can someone remind me what the "white ending" was? It sounds familiar but I'm not sure I ever did it.

The white people are the personifications of human's despair and you allow them you take everything back to 0 and kill everything. No one wins.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Is there a point to the Anarchy Earrings other than completely screwing you over?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Is there a point to the Anarchy Earrings other than completely screwing you over?

Challenge Runs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So...to make Navarre start buffing me in battle, do I have to sell all of my elemental attack items? He seems to love using my Agi stones.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Thanks cool dudes for the Wikipedia link. I had assumed it wouldn't cover it all....

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The MIA app is neat. I was wondering how else you'd get App Points outside of the grinding DLC. I'm so glad the overworld map is actually useful. So many improvements!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dagda seems cool and on the up-and-up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ran through SMT4 as I've been saying in the main thread leading up to this. By the end of that game's two paths I got I basically just had everyone's moveset be carbon copies with Physical - hit all enemies move, -Dyne of the elemental skills and a buff spell or heal

Due to how the system works now I want to do the same thing but boy does it do a good job of discouraging that when I see a giant -3 next to Zan. Now I'm just kinda going with whatever the hell Mido says.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

So...to make Navarre start buffing me in battle, do I have to sell all of my elemental attack items? He seems to love using my Agi stones.

Navarre usually only uses offensive items to hit a weakness, and if you have a bunch to spare. Also he seems to do things based on how effective they'd be--so later in the game when offensive items don't do much, it's actually really rare for him to use them. Earlier on when they can do serious damage and he has fewer other skills, he's much more likely to use them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Navarre usually only uses offensive items to hit a weakness, and if you have a bunch to spare. Also he seems to do things based on how effective they'd be--so later in the game when offensive items don't do much, it's actually really rare for him to use them. Earlier on when they can do serious damage and he has fewer other skills, he's much more likely to use them.

That's actually really clever of the gamedevs, whoa. I've got 30~ agi stones so of course he's been spamming them in battle.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've found he tends to be a lot more buff-happy in boss fights. For random battles I usually just use Asahi for the free heals.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really like Dagda's english VA.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Navarre has been incredibly useful on boss fights for me. I also really like the new team attack gimmick they added. I'm a bit disappointed that the moon is more of a plot countdown timer than bringing back the moon phases.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 22, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Somewhat random question but what's the deal with Alice as a aside? After playing all these games I'm kind of curious if she's just a big favorite over there or what as she always seems insanely strong with her own move and strikes me as out of place next to deities and the like.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Somewhat random question but what's the deal with Alice as a aside? After playing all these games I'm kind of curious if she's just a big favorite over there or what as she always seems insanely strong with her own move and strikes me as out of place next to deities and the like.

I always seen it as a nod to her first appearance in SMT1 where she asks the party to Die For Her, which of course you refuse and she cries to Belial about it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really like Dagda's english VA.

It's the Smash 4 announcer, Xander Mobus

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, I liked the fakeout with (early game spoilers) "Nozomi"'s old sprite and field model. I really hope I get her as a party member or something. :allears: It's pretty awesome to see minor characters from the previous game get promoted like this.

Also Navarre is loving killing me.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Also Navarre is loving killing me.

When a group attack happens his sprite puts up its tiny little hands and throws a couple of jabs. Everything about that stupid green ghost is what I wanted the second I seen the first teaser pictures.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im really impressed iwth how useful Navarre is

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"I fought with Flynn! Sometimes even on his side!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im really impressed iwth how useful Navarre is

Finally a way to use all those stones that were otherwise going to rot in your inventory.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Is there any useful trick for demon negotiation like there was in 4? In 4, Cheat > Refuse > End Talk had a pretty solid chance of working, but in Apocalypse there's no End Talk option, demons frequently demand four or five different things, they run off with your poo poo a ridiculous amount of the time, and virtually every multiple choice option leads to them getting a free turn.

The Fusion Booster letting you break the curve is awesome, but I need demons to fuse, goddamnit :argh:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You can just refuse to give them poo poo and they usually won't take off immediately.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

This time around negotiation seems way more forgiving than 4 was. So far I've run into a lot of 'screw small talk, plop 2k macca on me and we are good' situations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've had no problems recruiting at all but I'm a smooth talker.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I haven't had issues recruiting anyone with the exception of baphomet

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

It's worth noting that even if you flub negotiations enough times the demon will straight up join you for free. After failing 3 or so times, the next time you talk to the demon it'll say something along the lines of "hey man, nice to see you again, lemme come on board!"

Sometimes that can happen multiple times too--one time early in the game I had trouble recruiting an Ippon-datara for a quest. After failing enough times he straight up joined me for free, I turned him in for the quest, then the next time I spoke to Ippon-datara he joined me for free again.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
The demon horde is turned on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I found and took a peek at the map for the game's final dungeon.

:stare:

• Locked thread