Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Watch Scrapped Princess! It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember liking it.

Help me to not be an indecisive gently caress and choose:

Fafner in the Azure
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Denno Coil
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Fantastic Children

Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto is pretty good, I used to read the manga.

The third: The girl with the blue eyes
The Slayers season 1. (I own season 1-4)
Gunslinger girl
Eden of the east(I have the whole series, incuding the movies)
Lupin the third: the woman called Fujiko Mine.

all but the third is in shrink wrap

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I would say Slayers- in english dub, for the pure 90s-ness of it, but it has sentimental value for me. At least go to the end of the Rezzo saga.

My backlog is quite huge, in terms of started-but-never-finished, but I'll just list in order of my CR queue:

- Gunslinger Girls: Il Teatrino - still in shrinkwrap from when it first came out
- Ushio and Tora (2016) - 30 episodes to go
- Sailor Moon Crystal - 6 episodes to go
- Magi - 38 episodes to go
- Lupin The 3rd Part 4 - 8 episodes to go

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Lupin the 3rd because Lupin owns.

Prison School
Mob Psycho 100
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

ViggyNash posted:

Prison School
Mob Psycho 100
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)

Please give Mob Psycho 100 a try!

My list is all mecha/sci-fi because all I've really seen of the genre is Patlabor, Eva, TTGL, and Escaflowne. Please help me remedy this tragic lack of robots and spaceships.

- Turn A Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Giant Robo
- Space Battleship Yamato (If you pick this one, tell me where to start! The 1977 movie and then on to the 1978 TV series, or is there a superior remake or something? Clueless)
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982)

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

- Turn A Gundam
- Giant Robo
- Space Battleship Yamato (If you pick this one, tell me where to start! The 1977 movie and then on to the 1978 TV series, or is there a superior remake or something? Clueless)

I don't know much about the rest of those, but I watched the new Yamato series from 2012, which is a remake of the original TV series (I think), and it was bloody excellent, so I'm choosing that. It's called Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Anyways, my list is mostly stuff I've owned on DVD for ages and never got around to actually starting, so here we are:

- Baccano
- Ghost In The Shell SAC
- Paranoia Agent
- Patlabor OVA series
- Noein (got no idea what the hell this is or why I have it, but hey)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Please give Mob Psycho 100 a try!

I got super bored today and ended up doing so before you posted, so I guess I'll put up another as my "what to catch up on next" list.

As for the previous poster, check out Ghost in the Shell: SAC. One of my absolute all time favorite shows. That said, Baccano is too, but with only one choice I say SAC.

Prison School
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio

edit: I ended up blitzing through Mob Psycho 100. It's definitely not OPM, but it never was to begin with. It has its own focus and sense of style, and sells it beautifully. Where this season ends is about where I stopped the manga, so I'm definitely hyped for a second season where I don't know what's coming.

Also can I just say that Reigen is the best? He's the best. He's also better in motion.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 31, 2017

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That's it for Utena, a show I really should have watched way sooner. I'm completely in love with it and will be gushing about this show forever probably. And yes, I watched the movie too.

ViggyNash posted:

I got super bored today and ended up doing so before you posted, so I guess I'll put up another as my "what to catch up on next" list.

As for the previous poster, check out Ghost in the Shell: SAC. One of my absolute all time favorite shows. That said, Baccano is too, but with only one choice I say SAC.

Prison School
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
My Hero Academia
Concrete Revolutio

edit: I ended up blitzing through Mob Psycho 100. It's definitely not OPM, but it never was to begin with. It has its own focus and sense of style, and sells it beautifully. Where this season ends is about where I stopped the manga, so I'm definitely hyped for a second season where I don't know what's coming.

Also can I just say that Reigen is the best? He's the best. He's also better in motion.

Gonna have to pass the buck with Concrete Revolutio because it's very good.

Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)
Kuromukuro
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate [dubbed]

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW the Steins;Gate dub is generally pretty good and I like that dub team's interpretations of the characters.

There's a single reference in the dub script that they change in a way I don't think quite works but overall I think its solid.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Xinder posted:

That's it for Utena, a show I really should have watched way sooner. I'm completely in love with it and will be gushing about this show forever probably. And yes, I watched the movie too.

Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works)
Kuromukuro
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate [dubbed]

Unlimited Bladeworks. Enjoy your visual novel.

-Durarara
-Re:Zero
-Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
-Assassination Classroom
-Mobile Suit Gundam (By which I mean the movie trilogy)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Raxivace posted:

FWIW the Steins;Gate dub is generally pretty good and I like that dub team's interpretations of the characters.

There's a single reference in the dub script that they change in a way I don't think quite works but overall I think its solid.

yeah, learning the dub is actually pretty drat good is why the show ended up on my backlog again since it's already one of my favorite anime anyways.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Steins;Gate sub and dub should be on everyone's backlog's always, even if they've watched them already.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The commentary tracks the dub people do are a good listen too if you have the DVD's or blu rays.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xinder posted:

I got through episode 5 but it's just not working for me. I love its style but I'm not getting what it's core focus is. Episode 5 seemed like it was going to be a way to concretely established that, but it left things in an even messier situation. That whole thing with MegaGon was just a series of stupid ideas coming from all sides, as if to betray their own plans. It didn't make any sense. I had really high hopes after its opening episode too.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
dogsicle instructed me to watch Konosuba back in September, and I did. It's good! Last year I put it below Tanaka-kun is Always Listless on my year-end list, but I think Konosuba's second season eclipsed both of them.

Unit24 posted:

-Durarara
-Re:Zero
-Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
-Assassination Classroom
-Mobile Suit Gundam (By which I mean the movie trilogy)

Watch Durarararara. I loved the first 3/4 of the first series, though I was never as interested in the stuff that came after that.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Polar Bear Cafe
Punch Line
Sketchbook ~full color's~
Symphogear

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Delicious sandwich posted:

dogsicle instructed me to watch Konosuba back in September, and I did. It's good! Last year I put it below Tanaka-kun is Always Listless on my year-end list, but I think Konosuba's second season eclipsed both of them.

Watch Durarararara. I loved the first 3/4 of the first series, though I was never as interested in the stuff that came after that.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Polar Bear Cafe
Punch Line
Sketchbook ~full color's~
Symphogear

Watch Punch Line. It's stupid, but gloriously so, and I expect you'll get around to Symphogear of your own accord sooner.

Texhnolyze
Baccano
Toradora
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Since I've caught up with MHA and didn't like Concrete Revolutio, here's my new list:

Prison School
Vision of Escaflowne
Hibike! Euphonium season 2
Joke option: One Piece (I'm at episode 94 but stopped watching for a couple months now)

Kytrarewn posted:

Watch Punch Line. It's stupid, but gloriously so, and I expect you'll get around to Symphogear of your own accord sooner.

Texhnolyze
Baccano
Toradora
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

That's a hard decision, between Texhnolyze and Baccano!. They're like flip sides of a coin. I'm gonna say Baccano, but definitely check out Texhnolyze after.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Trip report for Baccano!. Finished all 13+3 episodes in a period of 3 days, so, clearly, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Characters were all larger-than-life, and it tied up a lot neater than I would have originally thought. I'm going to have to rewatch it in its entirety at some point, though I'm going to rewatch Episode 1 later tonight (as is my habit with a lot of these complex shows) to see what kind of stuff gets pushed through.

The problem that I had was that the show really was incomplete in its originally broadcast form, and I really only got a real sense of satisfaction after the three OVAs had completed. Granted, that shouldn't be taken as a flaw nowadays, but, especially in original broadcast form, I can't really see how Durarara is considered to be an inferior effort to the degree that it is.

Anyway, since it came up in Viggy's post, I will wind up watching and providing a report for Texhnolyze as well, but first I have to finish the second and third cours of durararax2, since this sort of put me in the mood for more of these sorts of clusterfucks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Texhnolyze is fantastic and that there's no blu ray release is one of the great crimes of the 21st century.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Texhnolyze is fantastic and that there's no blu ray release is one of the great crimes of the 21st century.

It's a shame. Plenty of people know about Serial Experiments Lain, but I find Texhnolyze to be far more fascinating.

Kytrarewn posted:

Trip report for Baccano!. Finished all 13+3 episodes in a period of 3 days, so, clearly, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Characters were all larger-than-life, and it tied up a lot neater than I would have originally thought. I'm going to have to rewatch it in its entirety at some point, though I'm going to rewatch Episode 1 later tonight (as is my habit with a lot of these complex shows) to see what kind of stuff gets pushed through.

The problem that I had was that the show really was incomplete in its originally broadcast form, and I really only got a real sense of satisfaction after the three OVAs had completed. Granted, that shouldn't be taken as a flaw nowadays, but, especially in original broadcast form, I can't really see how Durarara is considered to be an inferior effort to the degree that it is.

Anyway, since it came up in Viggy's post, I will wind up watching and providing a report for Texhnolyze as well, but first I have to finish the second and third cours of durararax2, since this sort of put me in the mood for more of these sorts of clusterfucks.

Durarara doesn't share it's predecessor's brilliant narrative structure, but x2 it manages to perfectly refine its storytelling model into distilled narrative chaos. Have fun with it!

Just be warned that Texhnolyze is VERY different in tone.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Since I've caught up with MHA and didn't like Concrete Revolutio, here's my new list:

Prison School
Vision of Escaflowne
Hibike! Euphonium season 2
Joke option: One Piece (I'm at episode 94 but stopped watching for a couple months now)

I'm going to say you should watch The Vision of Escaflowne because it's a good classic fantasy/mecha series with a great soundtrack. It's definitely worth at least trying.

Reporting back on Scrapped Princess: I liked it! I watched the whole thing. It's not a series which is going to be among my favourites, but it was solidly made and reliable. It provided travel-style adventure, reasonably interesting and likeable characters, some morally grey decisions, a decent eventual plot explanation, and some surprises. Pacifica was a good lead character, because although she was a nice girl, she was still argumentative, a bit spoilt, and a bit bratty. The series would have sucked if she'd been a total saint.

My new list:

Gosick
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
ReLife
Saint Tail
Silent Mobius
Terra e

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Vision of Escaflowne it is!

Just letting you know that since you liked Scrapped Princess you will probably also like Hitsugi no Chaika, which is by the same author.

Also I've not heard of any of those shows but two...
Lastly, as a huge fan of the mystery genre, GoSick is a goddamn disgrace. I only watched a few episodes and in every single episode it just pulled poo poo out of its rear end to "solve" each mystery.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 13, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I hope Escaflowne goes well! Can't guarantee it'll be to your taste, but it's not a bad series.

I've seen Hitsugi no Chaika, and your guess is right, I like that series a lot. So it's by the same author! Now you mention it, I can see some similarities. ...Three main characters, two girls and one guy. One of them's a princess being protected by and traveling with the other two...and the guy makes a contract with a cute dragon who can't forget her former master, and at some point the princess gets amnesia... Welp.

I'm planning to try a bunch of lesser-known or older series sooner or later. :) Don't want to miss out on potentially good things.

I tried an episode of Gosick once years ago, and didn't watch further, but I've heard some people saying it's great, and given that it's not unusual for it to take me three or so eps to get to like something, I hope it could be worth a second go. But if the series keeps on with bad mysteries, that'll be a real shame. I am a mystery fan.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
UBW surpassed my (admittedly kinda low) expectations. I'm still not interested in committing to playing the vn or watching any of the other spin-off stuff, but after this and Zero I think I've turned around on Fate. I'm actually looking forward to Heaven's Feel now.

Van Dine posted:

I'm going to say you should watch The Vision of Escaflowne because it's a good classic fantasy/mecha series with a great soundtrack. It's definitely worth at least trying.

Reporting back on Scrapped Princess: I liked it! I watched the whole thing. It's not a series which is going to be among my favourites, but it was solidly made and reliable. It provided travel-style adventure, reasonably interesting and likeable characters, some morally grey decisions, a decent eventual plot explanation, and some surprises. Pacifica was a good lead character, because although she was a nice girl, she was still argumentative, a bit spoilt, and a bit bratty. The series would have sucked if she'd been a total saint.

My new list:

Gosick
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood
ReLife
Saint Tail
Silent Mobius
Terra e

wow uh, i've only heard of one of those and i've not even seen it but i guess i'll pick it since i got no idea what any of the other options are. so go with ReLife i guess.

Shingeki no Bahamut
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate [the dub]
Patlabor

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Alas I couldn't really get into Penguindrum. While it has a lot of visual flair and I can tell it's the Utena director from some things I just don't really feel engaged with the characters or the concept. Maybe it's a slow burner of a show but after three eps I don't think I'll be finishing it for now.

Xinder posted:

Shingeki no Bahamut
Love Live
Space Patrol Luluco
Steins;Gate [the dub]
Patlabor

Watch FAVARO Bahamut!

As for me

Boueibu
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nina posted:

Boueibu
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

:stare:

What a list. I envy you so much right now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

towards the terra (terra e) is a good show

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nina posted:

Alas I couldn't really get into Penguindrum. While it has a lot of visual flair and I can tell it's the Utena director from some things I just don't really feel engaged with the characters or the concept. Maybe it's a slow burner of a show but after three eps I don't think I'll be finishing it for now.

Penguindrum really gets exponentially more insane as it goes on and a lot of the crazier things that happen later are set up in the first few episodes. The show also kind of tricks the viewer into assuming things are a lot more normal than they actually are early on. Pretty much if you found the part where Ringo turned out to be a crazy stalker to be at all interesting, you should really keep watching. The show goes to even further levels of madness than Utena.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I finished all of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (2012) in less than a week. It kicked rear end, and I'm not sure what else to say about it. I don't mind the CG when it's enabling epic space battle scenes, and those were well done. The pacing of the show got a bit hectic at times, like episode 15 specifically felt like it was trying to cram 40 minutes worth of story and intrigue into half that time and so it ended up being pretty drat confusing. Overall, the characters were great, voice acting was on point (the Captain giving orders :swoon:), I like that we got so much time from the antagonistic Gamillas perspective, and way less characters died than I expected! By 2/3 of the way through the series I thought I was seeing obvious death flags for people like Nimi left and right.

Nina posted:

As for me

Boueibu
Mushishi
Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori

While there's more than one good show here, my choice is still easy. Watch Mushishi.

My list:

- Turn A Gundam
- Giant Robo
- Bodacious Space Pirates

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not familiar with Bodacious Space Pirates but that name sounds amazing.

Gundam 0080 and SDF Macross are both good. Turn A is also good and has a unique premise for a Gundam show though I tend not to rate it as highly as most. I haven't seen seen Giant Robo but I know a lot of people seem to really like it. Really sounds like you can't go wrong with any of those picks.

Also there's a Yamato 2199 movie too; Odyssey of the Celestial Ark. Be sure to check that out if you haven't- it's pretty fun.

ViggyNash posted:

It's a shame. Plenty of people know about Serial Experiments Lain, but I find Texhnolyze to be far more fascinating.
That first episode of Texh that foregoes almost all dialogue still might be one of the boldest things I've seen from a sci fi anime. Really cool aesthetics too across that whole show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
8 minutes of some of the best visual storytelling in anime.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've been watching anime very rapidly lately. I am now completely caught up on Shingeki no Bahamut and plan to watch the new episodes as they come out.

Hit me wth something new now, friends.

Mentat Radnor posted:

- Turn A Gundam
- Giant Robo
- Bodacious Space Pirates

You've got a pretty decent list of your own. But I have no hesitation when I say to watch Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

alright let's go

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Steins;Gate (dub)
- Patlabor
- Initial D

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Cool, thanks for the pick. My friend and I trade off making each other watch shows on Tuesday evenings and he's putting on Gundam 0083 for me next week. I'll have to watch 0080 before then (tonight we are finishing Hyouka).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

Cool, thanks for the pick. My friend and I trade off making each other watch shows on Tuesday evenings and he's putting on Gundam 0083 for me next week. I'll have to watch 0080 before then (tonight we are finishing Hyouka).

it's only 6 episodes so that shouldn't be too hard

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Cool, thanks for the pick. My friend and I trade off making each other watch shows on Tuesday evenings and he's putting on Gundam 0083 for me next week.

Sever

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This. Any friend that tries to trick you into watching 0083 outside of choice YouTube clips is no friend at all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Mid-show report on Escaflowne.

It's pretty good so far. I like the presentation a lot. But I'm not totally on board. I don't see a clear goal for the story or the characters so far, so I really hope that the show starts to develop a more focused narrative.

Also, and this may just be a cultural clash between 90's Japan and modern America, but the show feels kind of sexist. The show very heavily emphasizes traditional gender roles in that a man's job is to fight and protect their women, and a women's job is to support and love them. I only mention it because the show seems very explicit in establishing that, and because there's not a single example to counter it. I'm not gonna decry the show because of it, but it has remained an itch in the back of my mind pretty much the entire time.

But I do like it overall. It has a great sense of style, between the presentation of Hitomi's visions and the varied cultural aesthetics between the different nations of Gaea.

Edit: Oh, did I mention this show has come loving incredible music? It has some loving incredible music.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 19, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Mid-show report on Escaflowne.

It's pretty good so far. I like the presentation a lot. But I'm not totally on board. I don't see a clear goal for the story or the characters so far, so I really hope that the show starts to develop a more focused narrative.

Also, and this may just be a cultural clash between 90's Japan and modern America, but the show feels kind of sexist. The show very heavily emphasizes traditional gender roles in that a man's job is to fight and protect their women, and a women's job is to support and love them. I only mention it because the show seems very explicit in establishing that, and because there's not a single example to counter it. I'm not gonna decry the show because of it, but it has remained an itch in the back of my mind pretty much the entire time.

But I do like it overall. It has a great sense of style, between the presentation of Hitomi's visions and the varied cultural aesthetics between the different nations of Gaea.

Edit: Oh, did I mention this show has come loving incredible music? It has some loving incredible music.

i don't think the show is sexist so much as Gaea is your typical medieval fantasy setting with that level of sexism. your main female characters of Hitomi and Millerna both spurn aspects of traditional gender roles and contribute to the story's forward motion/the party's success, just in non-combat roles. the fact that they are non-combatants can be a sticking point, but then you're toeing another dimension of sexism so i'm honestly fine with where things ended up. and as you say, the show is two decades old, so you could account for things based on that.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Raxivace posted:

This. Any friend that tries to trick you into watching 0083 outside of choice YouTube clips is no friend at all.

tbh i fell asleep watching 0083 so i don't even remember it being bad

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Considering how old Escaflowne is, I don't really hold it against the show for being a bit behind the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Considering how old Escaflowne is, I don't really hold it against the show for being a bit behind the times.

I know, and it's pushed to the background a bit in the second half so far so it's not as big an issue now. I'll try not to hold that against it since it's due to age and culture, but it does bother me regardless.

• Locked thread