Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Why does there need to be a new thread for a show, and movie series, that are finished

People can post whatever threads they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

People can post whatever threads they want

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lol that the design for the sealed Sayaka changes her hairclip from ff to pp

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Why does she wear the mask?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm not sure if she's bound or if she's a ninja

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Why does there need to be a new thread for a show, and movie series, that are finished

This is a lame as heck attitude to have

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If something is only worth discussing while it's brand new then that's pretty damning.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Also two posts above that comment was a trailer for new stuff.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
I'm back. Sayaka is most likely imprisoned. From a previous analysis:

We see Sayaka skewered to the ground, lying in the purple liquid we saw at the end of Rebellion, and being struck by multiple arcs of light. To me, I interpret this as Sayaka’s defeat, as she attempts to oppose Homura... And fails. But more importantly, what defined this conflict? The Concept Movie also supplies us with an answer:

Sayaka: “This is a joke, right? What's the meaning of this? Why can I read these letters?”

At some point after Rebellion, it seems as though Sayaka can read some characters which she thinks shouldn’t be readable. I interpret this as being able to read the Witch’s Runes; the language of the Witches, what Bebe speaks in Rebellion, and more broadly, a language associated with the Law of Cycles, wherein Magical Girl is joined together with Witch. Thus, Sayaka begins to remember the truth of the world, a truth shown to us in the Concept Movie:

(From the runes) “The Eternal Law”

This shows us the imagery of Madoka’s symbol as the Law of Cycles, the Eternal Feminine, which was also present in Rebellion as Sayaka was explaining her role in the Law of Cycles:

(From the runes) “Das Ewig Weibliche - The Eternal Feminine”

Effectively, Sayaka remembers that the Law of Cycles exist, and attempts to revive it. Thus the conflict is created between Homura and Sayaka, as Sayaka attempts to speak the truth of the world and her true existence to Madoka. However, she is defeated by Homura... But not destroyed. Rather, she is imprisoned:

(From the runes) “Because of the eternal law that is magic, this person's freedom and love were stolen."

And made unable to speak:

Such that she cannot interfere with Madoka again, and is no longer able to speak the truth of her existence to her.

Since this is the "B Version" of the Concept Movie, there's more stuff that wasn't present in the version I was analyzing before. Some random observations:

I'm near 100% certain now that the first part of the Concept Movie's visual construction is based on the theming of Kimi no Gin no Niwa (Rebellion's ED). Essentially, Kimi no Gin no Niwa's main thesis is that Homura has trapped Madoka in her "room", by pulling her through the window that looks out on the Law of Cycles and closing the window on her. There Homura keeps her, as Homura's room symbolizes her new Labyrinth and her refusal to leave and join the Law of Cycles.

"Slowly a door opens, beyond I see a fragile world.
Will morning come, will night fall?
A shy light seeps in:

Let us play some more until we are called.
Let us repeat our days like a flower reborn.

(Emphasis mine)

This dream has always sung a gentle song for you, in this room.
What is truth here?
I chase the world I can most believe in.
And run towards your silver garden."

"Slowly they come closer.
Without moving, from their perch on the windowsill,
they sing of what they lost."

We see part of The Dying Swan here, which is used as a visual reference to Madoka being trapped in Homura's room as a bird bound to the earth, and continues Madoka's existance as defined in Kimi no Gin no Niwa. This is further expanded in the image of the skewered swans in the Concept Movie:

Which I'll explain in detail later in another post. Moving on:

In the last thread, I suggested a timeline based on the Concept Movie. First, Sayaka rebels, then Mami. However, this appears to be somewhat incorrect, at least in the sense that Mami was inactive during Sayaka's rebellion:

Interestingly, Mami is using Sayaka's sabres, and not her muskets. I'm not sure why, seems strange to me. I'll need to think on it.

Finally, the appearance of three Magical Girl sketches in the Concept Movie:

"Blue" and "Green" look new to me, but I may be misrembering. However, "Yellow", looks familiar:

Combined with what Madoka calls "fairies":

Madoka: "So you can help me, too, fairies?"

And similar imagery of colour primary silhouettes of what looks likes Magical Girls that seem to be in her Soul Gem:

This suggests Madoka is able to make contact with, and gain help from, the Magical Girls she saved and brought to the Law of Cycles. As well, while I checked the silhouettes of the Walpurgisnacht familiars and they aren't the same, this bit still reminds me of that element of Walpurgisnacht:

More to come, maybe I'll sit down and finish wrangling out that final analysis that turned into a super long mess. Perhaps in two parts.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 27, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never thought I'd actually be interested in these :effort: posts, but here we are.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Omg yes!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope they free madoka like they freed Lord justice

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Space Flower posted:

Where are you seeing your takeaways from Lain being rephrased in Madoka? I'm not seeing where Shaft tackles the issue of human identity in a wired future and a feeling of loneliness in a world where everyone is connected. You can't be talking about the characters, since Madoka and Lain are nothing alike and the former doesn't have an apathetic family that alienates her further every episode. None of the characters share any similarities either at first glance or in the role they serve the plot.

If all the thought you put into this post was, "lol first Lain and now Madoka? wtf 2 gods??"" then you're an idiot.

what a defensive tone about a bad queerbaiting show.

The circumstances are slightly different between the two (Madoka's ascension is a trap because nothing good can happen because Urobochi) but both shows are predicated on the basic premise of "girl finding out that the world is not what it seems, human progress has been altered, and she has great power within her that upon exploration changes her from meek, passive entitity to Defining Force Of Existence." The reason why I feel Madoka fails at this retelling is because Lain ends up taking a much more active role in this self discovery. Hell, Lain ACTUALLY engaged in self discovery. Madoka just loving sits there unsure about everything until the absolute final hour, decides she has solved the riddle of the sphynx, and then most of the problems (but not all, gotta get that movie money) are solved. It's barely an arc. All the other characters, even Mami have some form of anything. She's like Shinji on crack, but at least he got in the robot more than once ever. And I'm not even judging "the robot" here for Madoka as "becoming a magical girl" I just mean "doing loving anything at all other than looking lost and being weepy." She's loving useless, just like the show.

But hey, if pastels and wideface are what keep you horny, I won't kinkshame. Just as long as you're honest about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Present day, heh

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for someone with 2 images in their avatar proclaiming their chill, you do not seem chill

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All I'm reading is that you have a hate boner for Madoka and you had to post in the new thread to make it really lovely.

Don't bait for crying out loud.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Paper Lion, have you watched Rebellion? It addresses the problem of Madoka's arc by switching the focus away from Madoka to Homura, turning Homura into the protagonist and Madoka into the foil for this new project. It certainly helps turns the series around if you don't like Madoka's character or arc, which I don't either.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
You see when you rip off the flesh, blood, and guts that makes these two shows so interesting, you'll see that they're both the same skeleton inside. except one skellington has 206 bones and the other has 180 and one has broken its clavicle three times and the other one was born with big toes shorter than the second toes, and actually they're a boy and girl, but still the same skeleton, basically, sort of.

2spooky.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

You see when you rip off the flesh, blood, and guts that makes these two shows so interesting, you'll see that they're both the same skeleton inside. except one skellington has 206 bones and the other has 180 and one has broken its clavicle three times and the other one was born with big toes shorter than the second toes, and actually they're a boy and girl, but still the same skeleton, basically, sort of.

2spooky.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
i haven't watcheied this series yet, but I'm glad that we men can get together and enjoy a show about little girls.

Namtab posted:

Present day, heh

presetime time, ha ha ha.

e: oh I didn't even read his post and realize he reference Lain, now don't I feel silly...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

what a defensive tone about a bad queerbaiting show.

The circumstances are slightly different between the two (Madoka's ascension is a trap because nothing good can happen because Urobochi) but both shows are predicated on the basic premise of "girl finding out that the world is not what it seems, human progress has been altered, and she has great power within her that upon exploration changes her from meek, passive entitity to Defining Force Of Existence." The reason why I feel Madoka fails at this retelling is because Lain ends up taking a much more active role in this self discovery. Hell, Lain ACTUALLY engaged in self discovery. Madoka just loving sits there unsure about everything until the absolute final hour, decides she has solved the riddle of the sphynx, and then most of the problems (but not all, gotta get that movie money) are solved. It's barely an arc. All the other characters, even Mami have some form of anything. She's like Shinji on crack, but at least he got in the robot more than once ever. And I'm not even judging "the robot" here for Madoka as "becoming a magical girl" I just mean "doing loving anything at all other than looking lost and being weepy." She's loving useless, just like the show.

But hey, if pastels and wideface are what keep you horny, I won't kinkshame. Just as long as you're honest about it.

When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Lion posted:

I haven't been able to keep it up without a set of pentel oils since '06.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

More observations from the Concept Movie:

Earlier, I suggested that this image is Sayaka's defeat by Homura:

However, there is an alternative explanation. In this version of the Concept Movie, we see Oktavia very clearly fighting a Wraith:

Which could explain Sayaka's apparent defeat in that shot. As we know, Witches are created from the "death" of a Magical Girl, symbolic or otherwise, so this could explain Oktavia's presence. I.E, Sayaka fought a Wraith, lost, and Oktavia appeared to fight the Wraith. With the presence of this shot:

A different story emerges, wherein Sayaka and "Homura" are in an alliance against the Wraiths, and...

Mami.

Although why Mami would pair up with the Wraiths, or Sayaka with Homura, is a complete unknown to me. To be honest, while the above image of Homura and Sayaka doesn't really make sense with them being in conflict from Rebellion onwards, I still find that conflict to be a more likely story, even given the image. As well, this would also seem to contradict the earlier image of Mami fighting alongside Sayaka, so it seems reasonable to me to discount the importance of the Mami and Wraith image for now. However, there is another piece of the puzzle in regards to Sayaka:

If we look closely at Sayaka's feet in these two images, they seemed to be pinned to the ground with purple pins. The design of which looks oddly similar:

Which suggests that Sayaka was imprisoned by the Wraiths. Working for Homura? It would make sense, seeing as she would have absolute control over the space, but it remains to be seen. What seems odd, however, is that the Wraiths don't seem capable of this sort of action, going off the end of the series, and the little I've read of Wraith Arc. I could be wrong, though. As an aside, we see a closeup of Sayaka in her imprisoned state in one of the drawn pictures of the Concept Movie:

The handles of her sabres perhaps, missing the hand-guards, with gold and jewellery implanted in them. If we look closely again at the image of her prison, we can see the same objects hanging off her.

Moving on. In the beginning of the Concept Movie, we see two things. The first, is a bust of Mami's head carved in stone crashing into what looks like Mitakihara:

The second is Madoka dancing The Dying Swan while she and Homura exposit on "The Definition of Happiness". While I've struggled to understand why Mami's head is crashing into Mitakihara before, I think I understand the significance now. There's two important factors to consider with the head. First, it is severed, and looking at the neck area, it was broken off from a larger statue. Secondly, it seems to be falling from space, which we know Mami goes to at one point:

This all suggests then the imagery of Mami's defeat at Homura's hands, leading into the portion of the Concept Movie where Homura has reasserted complete control with Madoka dancing The Dying Swan for her. In essence, it's just another clue which suggests the timeline I've mentioned, with Sayaka and Mami's defeat in the first half, and Homura and Madoka's narrative playing out in the second.

Unlike the previous version of the Concept Movie, Demon Homura does make an appearance, although still not in any of the places she should also be:

Interestingly, there's only 14 Clara Dolls around her, with Love still missing. To be fair however, Love didn't make an appearance at the end of Rebellion either. If I were to interpret this image, it would be a reference to Rebellion itself, and not an indication of Demon Homura's appearance in the new project so far.

Well, that's basically it, aside from some very minor things which I don't feel warranting a writeup for now. Here is the rest of the drawn images in the Concept Movie, along with an Imgur album of them at full resolution:

Upper right: "School seal" and "Tassel is attached"
Bottom right: "furukoma (Vice and I couldn't figure this out, best guess is that the lizard is shaking its tail) "Slippery and moves easily."

"Tube Girl"
"If it speaks, it makes a 'booooh' sound"
"Has a singing voice like a horn instrument, with a graceful sound."

Upper left: "Made of Cast Iron" "Comparison."
Bottom left: "Letter from --" ...Conveniently has who it's from cut off. "Long."
Right: "Poor footing."

(Thanks to Vice Virtuoso for translations)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand this whole playing up of Mami, and I don't like it. Not everyone needs to be a super special god/angel/demon.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mordaedil posted:

All I'm reading is that you have a hate boner for Madoka and you had to post in the new thread to make it really lovely.

poo poo, they beat me to it. I guess I'm not needed here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pavlov posted:

poo poo, they beat me to it. I guess I'm not needed here.

I hope one day you can find a place where you are needed.

I'd offer my heart but it's already full of idols.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Been rewatching this with a friend who is seeing it for the first time.

This was after episode 7

quote:

gently caress me
is this a common genre
the “hey look, cute girl show! NEVERMIND!”
i like it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
14 years old

e: does Madoka even have an age anymore? And how old is Homura, subjectively? She's been looping a month's worth of time, right?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Madoka and Sayaka are ageless beings at this point. The Madoka Wiki estimates Homura at around 26. Though no matter what, they all have a big case of

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This train of thought is uh problematic

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the biggest issue i have with madoka: her hair nonsensically getting longer at the end of the show :mad:

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Cephas posted:

Madoka and Sayaka are ageless beings at this point. The Madoka Wiki estimates Homura at around 26. Though no matter what, they all have a big case of

The current Madoka in Homura's Labyrinth is 14 and a normal human, although she becomes a Magical Girl again at some point. Sayaka as well, although Homura kept her as a Magical Girl for some reason (Wraiths, I guess).

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU