Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

btw manga readers looks like an update just went up on batoto for volume 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxeH36_SxM

this is for flaps, but anybody who would like stuff thats thematically resonant with march lion might like it also

Badass.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

quoting the fail

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love how suikoden is just a game about trying to get as many people into your rebel army castle as possible through any means necessary, whether it's traveling around the world looking for people who are willing to accept an invitation to your Radical Castle or forgiving everyone who pisses in your cereal.

except kraze. kraze sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; oh

oh no

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i love how suikoden is just a game about trying to get as many people into your rebel army castle as possible through any means necessary, whether it's traveling around the world looking for people who are willing to accept an invitation to your Radical Castle or forgiving everyone who pisses in your cereal.

except kraze. kraze sucks

quoting the double fail

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no see uh

suikoden's a game about shogi right

there's probably a shogi minigame in suikoden

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
This episode is too drat cute! Nikaidou being Totoro is perfect. :swoon:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Everything in this anime is perfect.

When it was first announced I was skeptical, because I didn't think SHAFT or Shinbo were a good fit. I was wrong.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Mentat Radnor posted:

This episode is too drat cute! Nikaidou being Totoro is perfect. :swoon:

I've had a terrible terrible week and just seeing that actually got me to smile again. He's just so adorable with Momo.

A thing that came across in the anime that I guess I sort of missed in the manga was the sort of playful relationship Nikaidou and Rei had while studying together. In the manga it always felt more... not antagonistic or anything, but more like Rei was just passively dealing with it (which he still does to an extent, of course, but not without slinging back more).

They're really doing justice to Rei's character here.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
The cats are my favorite part of this show.

Rest of it is pretty good too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not nearly enough animated gifs of this show

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Harunobu was really offputting in his first appearance but now he's really growing on me. Akari in the second half was hilarious.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Not nearly enough animated gifs of this show

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Nikkaidou for best character 2016

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ReasonableFarflungBoaconstrictor.mp4

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hello, I found a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemmaQvoslg

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nice.

Be careful though: that trailer has some very slight spoilers if you're only following the anime.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Aw yeah, now we're getting into the real meat of the series, with more elaboration on Rei's brief flashbacks from the first four episodes. Seriously, after watching this ep, you can rewatch those first four and build a more complete picture of what happened to him.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
drat this episode is a kick in the gut. Rei's past is heartbreaking. At least Momo and the cats continue to be super adorable.

I love how Akari knows exactly why Rei must have been crying. She's so drat kind and empathetic!

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just re-read some of the manga and they did a much better job in the anime than what I read in the manga on why Rei cried, etc. Really good.

Also, I agree that Akari really does decent insight. The group doing the scanlations recently did like the whole volume 12 and an important issue is dealt with, well, and somewhat sadly too.

I'm going to put a Shogi set on my Christmas wish list now. Shogi actually looks pretty interesting. I like how you can put captured pieces into play anywhere on board......

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Big Liars" was a nice bit of needed levity in an otherwise super heavy episode.

It's like...you know from the outside perspective, hell even Rei probably knows on some level, that none of what happened was his fault. That he did what he could to survive emotionally/mentally. But imagining yourself in the same position, how would you not feel guilty? Isolated? How could you not cling to any bit of warmth or hope to get you through the days?

Shaft's art direction is predictably superlative as well, particularly here with Rei's father describing the path of a pro Shogi player. This show is loving great.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

A question on Japanese society, if anyone can answer it. In this episode we get an instance of "even though this recently orphaned child had living relatives who are able to take care of them, they are about to be put into an orphanage because no one wants to do so".

I've seen this before in other Japanese media (Usagi Drop, for example), and I was wondering how common this kind of bullshit is. Does this happen frequently in real life, or is it just featured often in media for the sake of drama?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Even the Dursleys took in Harry.

e: So was the man that took in Rei the same person he played Shogi with while waiting for his dad or? I have a hard time telling salarymen apart.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also the guy from episode 1, who I'd been wondering about all this time.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Finally got around to this week's episode. This show started off great, but it seems like it gets better every week. Also, Momo is absolutely adorable.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's an after credits this week and it's 🌸💖amazing💖🌸

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
This anime isn't super exciting for me yet but how the heck did this weeks episode go by so fast? I don't understand how that happened. It's like I blinked and it was over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I definitely blinked and it was already over.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Finally catching up, this show is amazing, episode (05) was incredible, both halves were so powerful,

and episode (06) well,

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Today's ED was so good, but god drat CR for not subbing it

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Coaaab posted:

Today's ED was so good, but god drat CR for not subbing it

I knoooooooooow. I remember Nikaidou's explanation in the manga helping a lot with understanding the shogi parts, but i feel like this song would be even better at it.

Hina & Rei after talking to Takahashi was just the cutest scene.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after this week, i feel comfortable calling this fujobait sports show of the season. Rei's friendships with Harunobu and Yuusuke are so adorable... :blush:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
If that cat shogi book is based on a real thing I need it in my life! :kimchi:

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I wouldn't mind if they went into the "explaining shogi to Hina" bit more, it would be an excuse for me to understand it some without having to look it up myself (which I should probably do at some point).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the equivalent chapter of the manga goes more into the explanation

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/3-Gatsu-no-Lion/3-Gatsu-No-Lion-Chapter-15?id=41546

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Cool, thanks.

Semi-related, looking at these chapter numbers I'm probably going to pick up the manga after the show runs it's course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cowwan posted:

Cool, thanks.

Semi-related, looking at these chapter numbers I'm probably going to pick up the manga after the show runs it's course.

def should. it'll take like three 26 eoisode seasons to adapt all that's out now which probably won't happen and lots of stuff after where the anime is likely to end is super good.

• Locked thread