Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Here's a webm version of the PV if you don't like dailymotion I guess:
https://a.pomf.cat/wdfpcs.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Dan7el posted:

Who pays for all this? I don't see that it's being broadcasted or anything.

I've heard it's primarily newspapers that pay to host tournaments and for the exclusive rights to list results and such, and their "salary" comes largely out of that. Not sure how true that is.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I finally got to watch episode one, and holy shiiiiit I was right, I used to live literally in walking distance to there up until just a few months ago. It's an incredibly cool area sandwiched between the bay, the "old Tokyo" northeast, and the shiny new areas of the man-made islands, which is why you get all those riverways and bridges. Easily my favorite part of Tokyo, and a perfect setting for this story. (and now I feel like poo poo for not having read any of the manga while I was living there aaaugh)

You can see the Tsukishima train station Rei took, the Sumiyoshi Shrine, the elementary and middle schools, etc.

The red marker is Tsukudako-bashi (bridge), the one from the images above. Ueno, on the right, is pretty stereotypically "old Tokyo," and Ryogoku is the big traditional Sumo area. Toyosu is a fancy new area, and those islands are the man-made islands; Odaiba and Tokyo Big Sight are just past Shijo-Mae there off-screen (this is also around where the 2020 Olympics will be held). Minato and Chiyoda are some of the biggest business districts, with the area surrounding the Imperial Palace (the island of green by the Chiyoda text) home to both a bunch of prestigious business headquarters, the major national government buildings like the National Diet, and tons of skyscrapers.

You can basically draw a line down the middle of this image (slightly to the right, actually), and you've split it between "old and traditional" and "new and shiny," though it's a fuzzy one (see the Tsukiji fish market a little on the left).

Sendagaya, where Rei went to play that shogi match, is the area between the two green areas just below the Shinjuku text. Probably took him about 40 minutes to get there depending on how far from the station he had to walk.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I'm sure some people will disagree but I think this might be the best thing Shaft has ever made. The source material was already great and there were maybe lingering questions about how Shaft's usual stylings would play in such a story, but it's all come together in a wonderful way.

I was about to agree, but then I remembered Hidamari Sketch was Shaft, so now I'm not sure.

• Locked thread