Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

harunobu was the main part of ep2 that actively annoyed me, but after this week he's probably my favorite character. really hope he gets through the series okay :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after this week, i feel comfortable calling this fujobait sports show of the season. Rei's friendships with Harunobu and Yuusuke are so adorable... :blush:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't that a John Woo thing that Anime likes a lot? It was also in Re:Zero.

Mamoru Oshii uses flocks of birds often in his anime, so I'd expect a reference to him over John Woo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

ive always thought of flocks of birds as a decently common visual image, not something id really connect with one particular director

now that i've watched the ep, yeah it didn't really feel to be going for any sorta reference with the birds. more likely just something to do with Rei agonizing over familial relationships, if anything.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like shaft is mostly riding the source material's quality rather than bringing much themselves. but i generally dislike their one-size-fits-all approach where shaftisms are applied just because.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it'd be cool if they let their younger talent exist and express themselves more outside of the shinbo box, but apparently that's a minority opinion. anyway, the scene with waves from this week's ep was absolutely top notch.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I would love more seasons, especially if we can get more OP/EDs by Yuki

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

me, watching the new ep:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hm yes. there definitely aren't any weird power dynamics at play in their relationship, because kyouko is over 18.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the whole episode is really weird to me and kind of bad, unless they're going to follow through on gotoh and firmly refute the weird positive takeaways both kyouko and rei have about him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Other than being kind of a dick to Rei and going overboard in punching him, has Gotoh done anything for us to not like him? We only have Rei's perspective which is, slanted, somewhat.

not that i'm sure of an exact time frame on these things, but his relationship with kyouko should probably not be an issue at this point. iirc the flashback stuff in s1 had him giving her a gift, and he's essentially encouraging her by having her be some weird gift-buyer for his wife. also the whole scene of her forcing her way into the apartment being played as a joke is awful, same with his reaction being "okay, i'll just tie you up in my bed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

man we read this scene super differently

granted I was super hungover again watching this ep, but I read it as his wife was in a coma and so he asks Kyouka to go out and buy hair and skin products for his wife with his money because either he's too embarrassed to do so himself or just doesn't know much about hygiene products, all so he can wash his wife's hair etc.

I'd have to go back and rewatch it not in a bad way, but out of all the bad things Gotoh does, that really didnt seem like one of them

i mean that's what he is doing on the face of things, yeah. whether he's considering the consequences or not, asking kyouko to run errands for him does only feed into what she wants out of him and makes it harder for them to be free of each other. though obviously he's got some small conflicted part that wants to be able to fall back on kyouko's presence.

• Locked thread