Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, I've consumed all the March Comes in Like a Lion I could find, and I've got some opinions.

This show is really good, and I enjoy seeing people laugh, blush, cry and generally look adorable. The squishy cartoony faces make everyone seem so alive. It's giving me a major Totoro vibe whenever Bodoro Momo is in a scene:

If Mei is a crab, then Momo is some type of hamster.

The voice acting also really sells the whole: "Never make Hinata cry again" thing when you can actually experience it first hand. Everything about the bullying is so visceral, it's kind of hard to watch.

The first movie
is a pretty adequate adaptation. Rei's actor is very good, and they manage to go through the overarching plot beats in a reasonably good way. That boy's got a weird haircut, though. It looks like it would require a lot of maintenance. Apparently he even gets his hair done during fits of crippling depression. :v:

Something that actually bothers me is that the Kawamotos are not focused on enough. Their introductory scene is really great, but then the Shogi starts taking up all the runtime, and I don't care about that aspect nearly as much.

Especially egregious is that they didn't manage to include this scene:

:colbert:

The second movie
(which covers all of the manga and more) is a bit unpleasant, though. The way it's framed makes it really obvious what a weirdo Rei is. In the manga, they kind of deal with the whole love confession thing in a calm manner, and still let Rei hang out and stuff. Here, it all happens so quickly that he seems pretty unhinged, and appropriately gets told to gently caress off. It doesn't help that he simply goes insane during that final Shogi match.

Something I'm curious about : Did they change the resolution of the father storyline deliberately or was that arc simply not finished at the time? It kind of feels like the manga could go in a similar direction at some point, since Rei is seriously overprotective. I'm not sure I'd enjoy that, though. Doesn't sound fluffy at all.

And More fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Helter Skelter posted:

Someone please reboot the teacher.

You mean that handsome mustachioed gentleman?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm glad that the chemistry club plotline now intersects with the main plotline :)

They're gone for good now, it seems. I guess science and shogi just don't mix all that well.

Helter Skelter posted:

What a way to end the season. :3:

For a second there, I got kind of worried that they ran out of animation budget. Clearly, they were just saving it all for those intense monja preparation skills.

Rei's mom seems pretty lonely, and that's a bit depressing. The only one who comes to visit is a boy she doesn't even really consider part of the family. That chapter also reminded me that Rei's dad initially took Rei in as a student, and only adopted him after things got awkward with his own kids. You can really kind of spread the blame around why this family is so messed up.

• Locked thread