Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the PV for this made me really want a Goodnight Punpun anime for some reason so I'll prob scope this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hey hi I have a post in the first page of this thread saying I wanted to check this show out and then I never did but i finally did this week and holy moly

Just coming off the first three episodes and I absolutely love it. All the characters are great, the family is wonderful and Harunobu is my strong sweet boy but personally my favorite thing about this show is that it has a such a perfect sense of place. Rei's apartment, the bridge, the town, the walk to the station, the shogi hall, all of it is amazing at putting you there and I'm honestly just really enchanted by the whole thing. I love poo poo like the soft pattering of the boats on the river, or the reflections of the water on Rei off the glass as he looks out from his apartment or just the clicking of shogi tiles. I'm gushing but even though I had a strong feeling I'd like this show, it still got me real good.

Hoping to be able to catch up before the finale in like a month. I've been reading the manga alongside the episodes as I finish and though I'm bummed that this run won't cover all of it, I'm glad to have a bunch more to catch up on if i move onto the manga

a good anime here

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Finished Episode 7 today and this show is still very very good, Nikaidou best boy.

One of my favorite things about this show so far as opposed to other SadBoy shows/manga is that rather than be super bootstrappy about dealing with depression, it recognizes that kind of stuff takes time and never really goes away. Even after the Kawamoto family accepts him as their own, he still struggles with feeling isolated and worried because that's exactly how that's just how depression works man. And then rather than have a big speech about how you need to be there for your friends, even on your worst days, Akari is mature enough to tell Hina when she gets worried that the only thing they can really do is give him his space and let him know they love him because some days are just bad days.

I also love that it takes Rei less than 15 chapters in a 100+ chapter series to have this kind of insight where other SadBoy stuff would make it a big revelation near the end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

You're reading manga alongside, right?

This is one of the absolute best things that the manga does and I won't spoil it for you of course but just wait and see...
Yep yep, and I'll probably stick with it after the anime too if another season isn't confirmed real soon after.

The anime looks like it will only cover a third of the manga so far so I cannot wait to see what happens in that back two-thirds

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just finished it last night and holy moly i loved it.

Conflicts felt real and honest, while staying positive and inspirational and not getting mired in the bowels despair like other SadBoy manga does. I was not expecting the deep dive into Shimada and how intense it got, but I loved it. That and the flawless pull up with Shimada smiling, the sisters talking about sweets and Momo yelling "Gum!" were all so so great. I agree with other people here though that I was dissapointed by the answer to the School Friends problem being just the Science club nobodies, I really wanted to see him make some non shogi friends his own age, but there's 80 chapters so who knows.

Man yeah, I had a strong feeling this would be my jam, but it was Extremely My Jam. I've been watching and reading a lot of other stuff, but this has definitely been the one that comes to my mind most of the time, that and Berserk. I'm real bummed it doesn't seem super popular, at least not here and in my social/twitter circles, but oh well. Really excited for a Season 2, but I honestly think I won't watch it weekly, having a backlog I could just coast through in my free time and I honestly think I'd forget a lot of the big emotional beats if I watched it weekly. I'd like to say I won't read the manga and go in pure, but that's most likely a lie, there's like 80 more chapters ahead.

very very good anime, prob my AOTY since there's not much else on my docket this year so far

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's weird, but cool! It's the total opposite for me. An irl friend me telling me it was good was basically what made me fianlly decide to get off my rear end, but now I've way blown past him. No one on my twitter feed is into tho I follow less than 100 people, but like sometimes i'll get a fav off the anime/manga screenshots i post, but my follower count is weirdly way way bigger than it should be so idk, some rando is watchin it

But overall, I honestly would've probably forgotten about this show had I not been reminded by someone about it which is a real dang shame! It's def the coolest thing to me this season

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hinata crying and sobbing out"Onee-chan" is loving challenging, this sucks. One of the earlier PVs ended with Hinata saying "Irasshai!" and that's much much better.

I'm cool with using this thread but im good either. I wonder if there would be interest in a manga thread since it seems more people have experience with that rather than the anime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
No cats and no Momo 0/10

their Rei and Goto looks dead on tho, I'd watch it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm very hungover and dealing with other issues and this show is such a good remedy for all that :3:

I love that this is such a warm and lowkey show and then pivot to "Humans are agents of chaos" and everything about Goto. I'll probably dip out of the season for a bit to go back and rewatch the first again to remind myself of everything, but I'm very glad this show is back

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

He's slowly but surely getting into a better place, and what I like about this dynamic is that there is no singular "epiphany" that got him there. It was just a natural, slow evolution on his part made possible by the love and support of those around him.
I love this specifically because there's a moment in like, chapter 15 of the manga where Rei is talking to Hinata and has the revelation that other people that he cares have problems in their lives complete divorced from him, that his demons are just one of millions and he should be as outwardly caring to others as they are to him.

This kind of thing in a usual SadBoy manga would be stretched out to like, the last volume but here it's not even 15% of the way through the current story and it's what leads him to further growth, specifically I feel with regards to how he wants to deal with Kyoko, to be her warm home like the Kawamotos are for him

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Like Kyouka, I don't feel Umino is trying to lead us to a single encompassing answer about Gotoh. Also like Kyouka, Gotoh hurts people around him for seemingly no reason while also dealing with his own pain caused by things he could not control. Unlike Kyouka however, Gotoh is a 50+ year old man and shouldn't be punching teenagers bloody and sleeping with twenty year old women who cling to him out of fear being alone like they always have been, but humans are agents of chaos and the things they don't aren't perfect.

Rei has always seen Gotoh as the closest thing to antagonist and that's accurate honestly. But also Rei isn't privy to Gotoh's background like we are, where the opposite is true for the first season with Kyouka and it's a fun juxtaposition. Kyouka is meant to be incredibly intimidating, she's drawn powerfully cold and sharp, but Rei gives her a lot of leeway into his life that we has viewers don't think he should until we see what Rei has experienced with her. In this case, we're Rei with Kyouka, we are learning what and why people like about Gotoh and what he's gone through while Rei becomes the viewer and wonders why anyone even loving bothers with him cause that dude bloiws. It'll be interesting to see if Rei will ever learn that about Gotoh, as even after he's seen him stand up for Shimada, he can hardly stand Gotoh, and for absolute good reason. Gotoh entering the scene instantly makes my stomach turn, I've known people like Gotoh who have been with people I know like Kyouka, and the whole thing is just hard to deal with.

I def do not like Gotoh, but I def felt this episode is good for fleshing him out beyond just A Big Man Whom I Do Not Like, I'd be bummed if anyone big in this story was left uncharacterized.

dogsicle posted:

and he's essentially encouraging her by having her be some weird gift-buyer for his wife
man we read this scene super differently

granted I was super hungover again watching this ep, but I read it as his wife was in a coma and so he asks Kyouka to go out and buy hair and skin products for his wife with his money because either he's too embarrassed to do so himself or just doesn't know much about hygiene products, all so he can wash his wife's hair etc.

I'd have to go back and rewatch it not in a bad way, but out of all the bad things Gotoh does, that really didnt seem like one of them

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

I think he was being honest when he says going in places like that gives him minor allergic reactions. Hell, I get a bit sneezy too in some perfume sections of malls.

On the next level, it made him seem like he was asking Kyouka out of convenience. Like to show that their relationship is more than just FWB but less than "we're actually soulmates".
poo poo that was a line I legit missed, but yeah that scene was the first to show their relationship in the closest thing to a positive context we've seen yet.

dogsicle posted:

i mean that's what he is doing on the face of things, yeah. whether he's considering the consequences or not, asking kyouko to run errands for him does only feed into what she wants out of him and makes it harder for them to be free of each other. though obviously he's got some small conflicted part that wants to be able to fall back on kyouko's presence.
Yeah the tragedy here is that both of them know they shouldn't be with each other, and would be happier if they left but they've become dependent on each other.

Gotoh knows its not sustainable and that he's taking advantage of her, but its the only thing close to a peaceful moment he has

Kyouka is scared of Gotoh at times and leaving him for someone healthier would give her warmth somewhere that isn't Rei and get father off her back.

Sadly this doesn't happen because Gotoh is too weak and bad to cut it off and Kyouka is so desperately lonely and wanting control at the same time (Her sneaking into Rei's bed and saying "Don't touch me, but don't move away from me" is still like the rawest thing to me so far"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like it's maybe it's gotta be a thing for later, mostly because other things right now are much more pressing and perhaps interesting? Like I do hope Kyouko's father gets looked into, but there's so many bigger problems right. Their father has done his damage, so lets see everyone pick up the pieces for now. I can't wait for it tho, cause goddamn is it fascinating how much someone not really that malicious can gently caress up three people's entire lives like that. It's really weird to think that this manga is still going on and we're only just a 1/3rd of the way through the current content.

I will say that my biggest problem with this season is the lack of Momo. Momo's voice actor is older than me, but her kid voice is incredible and just hearing her in the Next Time on made me smile. Will drop if not not more Momo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think the first movie covers parts the anime hasn't gotten to yet, but I assume it didn't go in depth? The manga would def get you there and the anime is really good as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if I'm going to like the Hina is sad arc. There's several sad people in this show, but not Hina. Hina should never be sad. :smith:

AnacondaHL posted:

I do not think I am ready for this Hina arc. Just with the post-credits scene my defensive "who did this where are they BLOODTHIRSTY REVENGE TIME" alarm was a-blarin'.

i do not want to watch the new episode anymore

• Locked thread