Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Next deadline: Spring 1907

Diplomacy is a strategic board game for 7 players. Designed for optimal anger and saltiness, it is distinct from other Avalon Hill-type wargames because it is a game devoid of chance. Taking place on a European map of pre-WWI nations and provinces, each player's actions resolve simultaneously each turn, creating a huge opportunity for alliances, strategic negotiation, and tactical backstabbing.

We are playing with the Milan variant. If you've never played Diplomacy before that doesn't really mean much, just that there are a few minor map changes that give Italy much-needed starting strength. (If you want to see how much nerds are into Diplomacy like they are into chess, here you go.

How does the game work? Each player will play a major European pre-WWI power. Before every turn, there will be a communication phase for negotiation. Before the deadline, each player will submit a set of actions for their units secretly, which are then resolved at the same time. That means there's no element of chance. No dice, or any advantage of going first. If two (or more) players are trying to enter the same space, they'll just bounce each other unless they have help, either from their own units or another player's. To win you have to talk, ally, backstab and command your way to European supremacy.

Here's some stuff I shamelessly stole:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Each game year is divided into four seasons: Spring, summer, fall, winter. Spring and fall are main phases, where you'll order your units to move. Summer and winter are adjustment phases, where we clean up after the main phases. At the end of each year, we also have to adjust the number of units - each supply centre (the provinces with black dots) can support one unit, so players will build/disband units accordingly.

The win the game, a player must individually control a majority of supply centres. The game can also end in a draw if the remaining players unanimously agree to it. Players with no supply centres in winter get eliminated.

If you don't know how to play, this is a good place to start. You'll want to learn the different types of orders (Move, support, convoy, hold), how supporting works, and the general format to submit orders and how they'll be resolved

Here's the official rulebook, which goes into much more detail and where you can learn about the Kiel canal.

You probably don't need to learn about the Kiel canal, but it won't hurt!

You can change your orders anytime before the deadline. Just resubmit them to me. If I am not sure on something in your orders, I will ask about it, obvi. You can submit your orders to me on PM on Discord or SA, it doesn't matter to me.

On order submission, write them however you want. I am not a stickler for orders syntax. As long as I don't genuinely misinterpret your order, nothing bad should happen. I will never forfeit an order unless you literally vomit in my chow.

The winner of this game will win a 40$ Amazon gift card! There will be no award for the runner-up. As PMom states above, the game can end in a draw if all players agree. You can still do that, but nobody will win the 40$.

No toxxing, no betting, no editing posts, no copy/pasting chatlogs and no being a jerk or importing drama! Full out of thread communication is allowed.

If you are a spectator, no posting about game or player strategy. Normal :munch: posts, cheerleading posts or roleplaying as a refugee of world war posts are fine.

Player List

CCKeane - Russia
Max - Germany
Somberbrero - Italy
Pinterest Mom - France
Tremendous Taste - Turkey
peramene - Austria-Hungary
Kashuno - Great Britain

Maps of the Game

Starting Map
Spring 1901 | Orders / Map
Fall 1901 | Orders / Map
Winter 1901 | Builds / Map
Spring 1902 | Orders / Map
Fall 1902 | Orders / Map
Winter 1902 | Builds / Map

Other Stuff

A sicknasty player's guide, produced by Avalon Hill, the publisher of the game. Very helpful as a sort of introductory strategy column.

Abstact Diplomacy map, to easily visualize moves. Edited to reflect the Milan variant.

(og map abstract)
The Diplomacy Archive strategy library where you can read up on your grognard fantasies.

There are a few youtube tutorials for Diplomacy if you want to watch it instead of reading it. I tried to find a good one for this spot but they’re all kind of meh, so just google “How to play diplomacy” if you want to do it that way.

Confessional Link

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

To all 7 players: Please post your country preferences in order from most to least played. For instance, EFTAGIR would mean you want to play England the most and Russia the least.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max posted:

Well I may have made a mistake, looking at that map now. Germany is ripe for being destroyed immediately.

you can change your prefs if you want but german strategy owns, spoilers for this link I am a huge nerd http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles/turnbull-germany.htm

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Couple of Announcements for Players and Viewers Alike

1. For Players: We have set up a channel in the SA Mafia discord for you to chat and be able to easily PM each other/make other servers for chatrooms. You can by all means use other mediums to chat (facebook, a doc, PM, w/e) but this might give you a good start and other people in the discord server can see it but not type in the channel. PM me if you need an invite link, I don't think Taste or Somber are in it.

2. For Viewers: I will be setting up a spectator doc, I just haven't done it yet.

3. For Both: I will be doing confessionals for this game. I don't know if it really needs it but I think it will be fun! I will link the google form after the country assignments go out.

Thanks.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Didn't peramene pledge to never play a game again

Forum reality game, not party game or board game!!

Though between prize money, confessionals and alliances/backstabbing I have made this particular board game somewhat similar to an FRG.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

FMLYGUY

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

I believe it's somewhere in the op strategy link, but for anyone who is unfamiliar with the game or just their country, this guide is very helpful.

Oh hell yeah, I haven't seen this in a long time. I'll add it to the OP.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Okay, here we go!

Hope you like your countries. Here are some additional things:

1) Deadlines will be every 48 hours for moves (spring/autumn), 24 hours for build/retreat orders (winter). Because of PMom's schedule, Tuesdays will be excluded from deadlines, we will just skip over Tuesdays. If anyone else has any conflicts let me know! I know Max has something coming up. Keep me posted on that. And if people ever want a deadline extension we will probably just do it. First deadline for Spring 1901 will be 9PM EDT, Friday, 9/23/2016

2) If you don't give me orders in time for a deadline I will not be too happy, but I won't forfeit your turn. I will prod you and publically shame you but forfeiting your turn would suck for the whole game. Just try to be respectful, please.

3) Please submit confessionals here: https://goo.gl/forms/J9arWn3jpb4nNrjx2 I will put the link in the OP. I assume you won't have a confessional for a while, and you don't have to post a bunch like in a game of Survivor or something, but some of the spectators would appreciate it maybe??

For Spectators:

Instead of a viewer doc I'm just going to have a second channel in the mafia discord server for chatting/links to the confessional doc. If you want to get into the server just PM me for an invite link or PM someone who is already in the server, anyone can create an invite link.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Oh and here is the map, I am a moron.

Pinterest Mom posted:

a serif font smh

If it ain't Times, it ain't mines.

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 22, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

makes u think

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

:siren: The Bolsheviks release a SMASH BALL into the continent! The first diplomat to post ##grab will be POWERED UP for this spring! :siren:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max, the Chancellor of Germany, goes to jail for suspicions of communism!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

luckily this is like crusader kings. max is the spirit of germany, not the actual man.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

You are now Prince Bernhard Heinrich Karl Martin von Bülow!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

bk can you put current deadline at the top of the first post please and thank you

Oh yes, sorry, give me a minute.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Actually I'm gonna set up votefinder so I can have it post the deadline automatically, I really like the "1 day, 13 hours remaining" thing.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

BK can you not do that thing I want everything to be very inconvenient.

I don't know, can I? :smuggoenglishteacher:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Announcments

1) You can change your orders anytime before the deadline. Just resubmit them to me. If I am not sure on something in your orders, I will ask about it, obvi. You can submit your orders to me on PM on Discord or SA, it doesn't matter to me.

2) On order submission, write them however you want. I am not a stickler for orders syntax. As long as I don't genuinely misinterpret your order, nothing bad should happen. I will never forfeit an order unless you literally vomit in my chow.

Okay that's all.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max posted:

Here are my orders:

Attach jetpacks to my army.
Fly to America
Take over America.

Rocketeer is a good movie

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

idk here are some earlygame resources

JDip: http://jdip.sourceforge.net/ (It's what I'm using to adjudicate your moves btw)

http://www.sentex.ca/~nfitz/Maps/milan.pdf

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/opening.htm

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I am a grognard and, as a subsequent result of this character trait, I edited the abstract diplomacy map to the Milan variant.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

No? What rules do you think changed?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight in the OP posted:

We are playing with the Milan variant. If you've never played Diplomacy before that doesn't really mean much, just that there are a few minor map changes that give Italy much-needed starting strength. (If you want to see how much nerds are into Diplomacy like they are into chess, here you go.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I am very pleased with the confessionals in this game. Thank you all for submitting some thoughts.

If you are casually following along with this thread, please PM me for access to the confessional doc at some point. It is worth it I promise!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hungary is in revolt!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

come to Gödöllő if u want an rear end kicking

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

BK if we all issue orders attacking you does that me that early 20th century Europe will have united in order to KILL GOD?!

Oh no, and the deadline is right at the beginning of the Sabbath too. *looks at big lever next to throne that says FLOOD VAULT, contemplates*

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Spring 1901

Orders:

Italy: F nap - ion, A rom - nap, A mil - ven

Germany: F kie - den, A mun H, A ber - kie

Austria: F tri - alb, A bud-ser, A vie - bud

Russia: F sev - rum, A war H, A mos - ukr, F stp - bot

Turkey: A con - bul, A smy - con, F ank - bla

France: F bre-mao, A par-bur, A mar S par-bur

Britain: A lvp - edi, F lon - eng, F edi - nth

Fall 1901 Map

Fall 1901 Orders will be due Sunday, September 25th, 9:00PM EDT.

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 24, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have not heard of any incidents of this, but I would just like to remind the players that there is no copy/pasting of chatlogs in this game! Thanks.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

what about emptyquoting?

Completely allowed, encouraged in fact.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Loel posted:

Will the map colors change as people conquer things?

When a player controls a supply center province going into the winter build phase, that province flips. If they are on that province in the spring but move off of it (or get moved off of it) in the fall then they don't control it or get a reinforcement for the winter. So after the next turn the map will presumably be a whole lot more colorful.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

That deadline's wrong because I'm bad.

Continental Calendar, Fall 1901

The window of opportunity for tactical intrigue is soon to close. Orders must be submitted by September 25th, 2016 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 3 hours, 19 minutes.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Fall 1901

Orders:

Austria: A ser - bul, A bud - tri, F alb S A nap - gre

England: F nth - bel, A edi - yor, F eng S F nth - bel

France: A bur - bel, A mar - spa, F mao - por

Germany: A mun - ruh, F den - swe, A kie - hol

Italy: A nap - gre, F ion C A nap - gre, A ven - apu

Russia: F bot - swe, F rum S ser - bul, A war - gal, A ukr S rum H

Turkey: A bul H, A con S bul H, F bla S A bul H

Phase Results

Winter 1901 Map

Winter 1901 Build Orders will be due Monday, September 26th, 9:00PM EDT.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

story of your life

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Winter 1901

Builds:

Austria: A Bud

England: F Lon

France: A Par, F Bre

Germany: F Kie, A Mun

Italy: F Nap

Russia: A War

Turkey: F Smy

Spring 1901 Map

Spring 1902 Orders will be due Wednesday, September 28th, 9:00PM EDT

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm just remarkably bad at votefinder!!

Continental Calendar, Spring 1902

The window of opportunity for tactical intrigue is soon to close. Orders must be submitted by September 28th, 2016 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 21 hours.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

lol why does neither russia nor the uk have scandinavia yet

and why did russia let the turks into the black sea

what is even going on in this turn of the last century europe.

Well you see Ecco, in only a 24 hour rotation, due to Earth's 4 corners, there are 4 quad days.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Spring 1902

Orders:

Austria: A Tri - Vie, A Ser - Tri, A Bud S Gre - Ser, F Alb - Adr

England: F Bel - Nth, F Eng H, F Lon S F Eng H, A Yor - Wal

France: F Bre-Eng, F Por-Mao, A Spa-Gas, A Par-Pic, A Bur-Bel

Germany: F Den - Swe, F Kie - Bal, A Hol S A Bur - Bel, A Ruh - Kie, A Mun - Boh

Italy: A Gre - Ser, F Ion - Gre, F Nap - Ion, A Apu H

Russia: F Bot - Swe, F Rum - Sev, A Ukr - Rum, A Gal - Bud, A War H

Turkey: F Smy - Aeg, F Bla S Ukr - Rum, A Bul H, A Con S Bul H

Phase Results

Fall 1902 Map

Fall 1902 Orders will be due Friday, September 30th, 9:00PM EDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey guys, this is when the game starts to get pretty complicated when it comes to orders. If I happen to screw something up or an order is verifiably incorrect, please let me know as soon as possible and I will re-resolve. I don't think this happened, obviously, but you never do until something goes wrong! But since I have objective records from all of you about what your orders are and when you sent them, just post here if something is amiss. Bless.

• Locked thread