Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

One of the greatest joys of traveling, in my sad opinion, is visiting grocery stores and sampling local or hard-to-find soft drinks. To many, soda is a sickly-sweet mishmash of high fructose corn syrup and carbonated water -- and in some cases, I'd agree with that. But there's also a surprising amount of variety and complexity if you're willing to look past Pepsi and Coke and into the weirder options. Here are some of my favorites:

Cheerwine

Let's start with probably the best-known "unknown" soda, Cheerwine. Based out of North Carolina, Cheerwine is popular throughout the American South. It's a cherry soda, but the cherry flavor isn't as pronounced as you might think. It is, however, very, very sweet, so be warned if you try to avoid syrupy drinks. It's pretty easy to find in my experience, and it's worth trying at least once.

Find Cheerwine near you: https://cheerwine.com/distributor_locator

Dang! That's Good! Root Beer

Based out of Milwaukee, Dang! is probably one of my favorite root beers. It's made with cane sugar and, in my opinion, it's really smooth, with more emphasis on vanilla and less on the harsher, "rootier" flavors of sarsaparilla and sassafras. They also make a butterscotch root beer that's not unlike drinking liquid Werther's Originals, but in a good way.

Store locator: http://www.imperialflavors.com/products/dang-that-s-good/where-to-buy

Jarritos

Jarritos is a Mexican company that sells a variety of fruit flavored sodas throughout Mexico and parts of the United States. I was introduced to it as a child living in a Kansas town with a large Mexican immigrant population, where it was so popular, our local Kroger started importing it. I think it's a lot easier to find these days. Grapefruit is my favorite flavor, but they also make tamarind, guava, mango and hibiscus, among others. They're all really good.

Store locator: https://jarritos.com/#/locator

Swamp Pop

Based out of Lafeyette, Louisiana, Swamp Pop's Noble Cane Cola is my favorite cola. It's made with cane sugar, not HFCS, and it allegedly contains Louisiana figs. It's a more subtle and complex cola than most. It has a deep, rich flavor with notes of fruit and bitters. I've been successful in finding it at World Market as well as, weirdly, my local hardware store.

Find Swamp Pop: http://drinkswamppop.com/buy/

Thoughts, reviews and recommendations are all welcome in this thread! If there's something you consumed and you can't remember what it was, try to describe it and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction. And while this post focuses on soda, all beverages are fair game here.

Happy drinking, friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tastes like dr. pepper, cough medicine, and cigarette butts but I love the poo poo out of the stuff.

You can generally find it almost anywhere in Maine and in select stores all around New England. It's bottled by coke now but it's still pretty regional.

Oldest commercially bottled soda in existance, state soda of Maine

My favorite fact about Moxie is that they didn't get the name for it from the word moxie. The word moxie is from the soda. Yeah you may have never heard of it now but at one time this stuff was so popular that it's name made it's way into the public lexicon.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Agent355 posted:

Tastes like dr. pepper, cough medicine, and cigarette butts

can confirm.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

nice glass of limoncello

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VcZSaU5vjQ

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
OP, one of my old roommates keeps on going on about how Jarritos Mexican Cola is the best flavor but whenever we are at a store with Jarritos, we can never find it and he is unable to describe what makes it so good. I think he is being a liar face and the flavor does not actually exist. Have you tried it? What's the deal?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I don't even remember it being particularly good, but I am obsessed with finding Colt Black Cherry because it's impossible to find here. We did, however, used to live next to a convenience store where the owner would go to the States every so often and buy cases of vanilla Coke, which was nice of him. That was my story.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are energy drinks allowed?

I have no idea what "natural caffeine" is but these are probably the best tasting energy drinks I've ever had.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Anything else is just glorified ginger ale. This stuff burns in the best possible way, and is the best thing ever with a squeeze of lime.

Fever Tree is also okay, but better suited to mixed drinks than on it's own.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Sep 22, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Always pick up a small bottle of this stuff after work. It's great.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Faygo gets a lot of flak for being associated with the Insane Clown Posse, but people need to remember that they only started mentioning it in their lyrics because it's local, it tastes good, and you can get a three liter for a dollar, which is important if you don't have much money. The whole line is really decent, especially for a budget brand, but three flavours really stick out:

Redpop

The flagship, pretends to be strawberry, actually red licorice. Perfection.

Vanilla Cream

Tastes like a milkshake, perfectly clear. A favourite for sipping and for spraying at the gathering when you don't want stains on your jncos.

Rock n Rye

Basically the first two mixed together. Tastes exactly as good as it sounds, and it sounds amazing.

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Melon soda of any kind is great and I wish it was more of a thing outside of Japan. Favourite brand is probably Suntory Pop, which you can get in a lot of vending machines there:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Everyday

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Leninade.

http://leninade.realsoda.com/

Sooooooo good

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A friend of mine brings me back a couple of cases of this stuff when she visits her relatives out in the middle of nowhere.

It's one of the best drinks I've ever had, and in a refreshing change of pace, the diet is every bit as good as the full-calorie.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Pastry of the Year posted:

A friend of mine brings me back a couple of cases of this stuff when she visits her relatives out in the middle of nowhere.

It's one of the best drinks I've ever had, and in a refreshing change of pace, the diet is every bit as good as the full-calorie.

A co-worker who has relatives in Centralia, IL gave me a can of that he brought back a couple weeks ago. I have cousins that live there as well so if I like it, I'll have them bring me a couple cases when they come up for the holidays.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Cory Parsnipson posted:

OP, one of my old roommates keeps on going on about how Jarritos Mexican Cola is the best flavor but whenever we are at a store with Jarritos, we can never find it and he is unable to describe what makes it so good. I think he is being a liar face and the flavor does not actually exist. Have you tried it? What's the deal?

It's real and it's great! It has a really dark caramel-ish flavor. I know they still make it because it's listed on their website, but I haven't seen it lately either...

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I like to drink pee pee and diarrhea

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010

I heard they make the pocaris do 20 minutes on a stationary bike to get enough for 1 can.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
This soda will be the death of me.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

You disgusting heathen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hey this thread might know. Back in 2007 I was on a high school trip to Europe and I bought a drink that I still don't know the name of. All I remember was the bottle had a little cat drinking a drink from a cup that had a little umbrella and straw in it and the cats shadow was a giant monster.

I bought it in Italy anyone know what I'm talking about?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

You disgusting heathen

Either works for me, I am currently on Tetley :v:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Soooooo good.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Moxie owns if you're not a screaming infant and are fine with a soda that's a little bitter and tastes like licorice.

Faygo is so super-sweet I thought my mouth was covered in slime. loving disgusting. If I wanted something super-sweet, I'd have some goddamn malta. There are a couple brands, I can get a pack at an afro-carribbean place for six bucks or so. It tastes like unfermented, unhopped brown beer, that is, very sweet and, well, malty. Kind of like kvass then, which also owns.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Pastry of the Year posted:

Ski is made by Double Cola so if you're ever in the South, some parts of the midwest, you could probably find it.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Choose wisely, for you may choose only but one flavor of Dew...

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Les Grossman and I are of the same mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ESh49jymw

Also Bawls and Faygo Rock n' Rye.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That Ski stuff looks good. I'll have to see if it's available nearby. I hadn't heard that the Jarrito's Mexicola had made it to the states either, that's another I'll have to grab.

My favorite drink lately has been Virgil's Dr. Better.

Like Dr. Pepper, but better. No really, it's pretty good, maybe even better than the Dr. Pepper they make at that one place that still uses the original recipe and rebottles it in the classic bottles. It's kinda weird how easy it is to discern all the ingredients they used to make it. I swear I'm not trying to be a dumb soda sommelier.

Very smooth and not to sweet, and sadly harder and harder to find in my area. The regular supermarkets stopped carrying it and now I can only find it at the pricier whole foods style markets.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Electric Lady posted:

This soda will be the death of me.

Don't ever move out of the Southwest. My family has to ship this stuff to me, and they're not allowed to visit without bringing some.

The Dregs has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Sep 23, 2016

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
cup of feathers

HamsonBunce
Aug 28, 2011

If you're ever in Switzerland, try these things. They're delicious

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Delicious Jamaican grapefruit pop you can get a lot of places in the UK. Amazing with rum.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

this loving drink

it's swamp water. it's a taste like combined cream soda, orange and grape soda, dr. pepper, and root beer. it's utterly perplexing. every once in a while i drink one just to feel utter bafflement and confusion. i don't understand how this drink has managed to get so big that it has claimed an entire loving aisle in every Scottish grocery store.

but the commercials are pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LcHFkXmCb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuLgsVcQUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX_K4mNTTI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UprxM_aBWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEmtJRSrvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LVBcnDDQ4

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Tastes like dr. pepper, cough medicine, and cigarette butts but I love the poo poo out of the stuff.

I always thought Moxie tasted like how hot roofing tar smells. It really is godawful with a weird aftertaste, but somehow it's strangely addictive.

Every soda back then had to have a weirdly strong and gross taste so it could be sold as a drink with medicinal properties. This one was sold to cure "paralysis, softening of the brain, nervousness, and insomnia." I'm sure that caffeinated beverage will do wonders on your nervousness and insomnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bert Roberge posted:

I always thought Moxie tasted like how hot roofing tar smells. It really is godawful with a weird aftertaste, but somehow it's strangely addictive.

Every soda back then had to have a weirdly strong and gross taste so it could be sold as a drink with medicinal properties. This one was sold to cure "paralysis, softening of the brain, nervousness, and insomnia." I'm sure that caffeinated beverage will do wonders on your nervousness and insomnia.

:stare: that feels like a parody of ridiculous side effects

• Locked thread