Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshCutFries

Arkanomen posted:

Dungeon World is a hell of a drug.

hey, are you willing to give some tips on running dw? i want to run a game for my group to test it out, but i'm having some trouble wrapping my head around what aspects of the world are expected to be controlled by the players. like, for example, it sounds like if the party is in a room and a rogue succeeds at checking for traps, that automatically means that not only do they find the trap, but it means that there had to be a trap to be found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles

Thingyman posted:

hey, are you willing to give some tips on running dw? i want to run a game for my group to test it out, but i'm having some trouble wrapping my head around what aspects of the world are expected to be controlled by the players. like, for example, it sounds like if the party is in a room and a rogue succeeds at checking for traps, that automatically means that not only do they find the trap, but it means that there had to be a trap to be found?

the best part about dw is there's no real solid answer to this question. you should ~*~go with the flow~*~ its ok to just say "there's no traps" but its cooler to make up a trap for them to have found, even if its some simple stuff to make the roll worth it. if theres no trap and you cant be bothered you can just tell them before the roll prob

the players get to control a fair bit more than most rpgs but ultimately its down to you how much. I let players decide all sorts by asking them to tell me whats attacking them, what strange property the letter they found has, how old the building theyre in is and let that be part of the narrative

but you don't have to. dw is cool like that

----------------
Poop

FreshCutFries

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the best part about dw is there's no real solid answer to this question. you should ~*~go with the flow~*~ its ok to just say "there's no traps" but its cooler to make up a trap for them to have found, even if its some simple stuff to make the roll worth it. if theres no trap and you cant be bothered you can just tell them before the roll prob

the players get to control a fair bit more than most rpgs but ultimately its down to you how much. I let players decide all sorts by asking them to tell me whats attacking them, what strange property the letter they found has, how old the building theyre in is and let that be part of the narrative

but you don't have to. dw is cool like that

ohh, ok thanks. i was thinking the player control was more stringently built into the system than that.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

Thingyman posted:

ohh, ok thanks. i was thinking the player control was more stringently built into the system than that.

Dungeon World's rules are really simple. In fact they fit on one page. Dice rolls are 2d6 with a fail, pass with complications, and pass with desired result. Everything is pretty much narrative based. I've started a 4 hour one-shot with something as small as "You run a bar. Someone burned it down. Who did it?" I went around the table asking people about their characters, their history and who they would have for an enemy. The game grows from there. If a player suggests something, even as a joke, incorporate it. Everything is free-form so you need active players and as a DM you gotta be "Yes,and" about about it. Try to never tell a player "No you can't do that" or "No it doesn't work." Throw complications, npcs, off-cuff-lore, to let the world grow. Only the most barest of threads of anything you prepare will survive if you don't keep it open-ended and flexible. Its a really rewarding system because it brings in a lot of creativity.

FreshCutFries

Arkanomen posted:

Dungeon World's rules are really simple. In fact they fit on one page. Dice rolls are 2d6 with a fail, pass with complications, and pass with desired result. Everything is pretty much narrative based. I've started a 4 hour one-shot with something as small as "You run a bar. Someone burned it down. Who did it?" I went around the table asking people about their characters, their history and who they would have for an enemy. The game grows from there. If a player suggests something, even as a joke, incorporate it. Everything is free-form so you need active players and as a DM you gotta be "Yes,and" about about it. Try to never tell a player "No you can't do that" or "No it doesn't work." Throw complications, npcs, off-cuff-lore, to let the world grow. Only the most barest of threads of anything you prepare will survive if you don't keep it open-ended and flexible. Its a really rewarding system because it brings in a lot of creativity.

this is super helpful, thanks

Nemesis Of Moles

Arkanomen posted:

yeah this. always try to be adding a small question to the end of stuff. ask for descriptions. the enemy is holding a unique weapon, what is it? some of the moves work this way too like one of them has a "find a weakspot" move where you can have them describe one. the wizard has a lot of "make up lore" moves you should read up on but its really cool.

----------------
Poop

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wish me luck guys, first session with FNG

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

food court bailiff posted:

wish me luck guys, first session with FNG

Have a good time! Give us a trip report after!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arkanomen posted:

Have a good time! Give us a trip report after!

5 mins in and he tried to order white sauce on a dominos cheese pizza, it is a disaster already

e: half hour in and he's actually being a cool fun player, wow

double-e: session over, the guy played to his character while still working with the party, making jokes, etc. like it was just kind of an introductory session bringing him in after the rest of the group had a break, and he played his character better than I could have hoped for. he's like a unicorn or something, someone I don't particularly like IRL who didn't turn into a raving horrible rear end in a top hat at the game table. wow.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 11, 2016

tao of lmao

5e is fine just fudge the things you don't like. Rules lawyers ruin games.

FactsAreUseless

tao of lmao posted:

5e is fine just fudge the things you don't like. Rules lawyers ruin games.
No, people who don't believe tabletop gaming can change or develop or become better ruin games. Believing that it doesn't matter whether rule sets function, that it doesn't matter whether the math works or it's playable or people can pick up and understand it because "you can just fix it" is what has held back role-playing for years and years. You don't see this problem in board games. Nobody goes "well, Monopoly was good enough, why don't you just house rule it?" because that's stupid. This is stupid.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

5 mins in and he tried to order white sauce on a dominos cheese pizza, it is a disaster already

e: half hour in and he's actually being a cool fun player, wow

double-e: session over, the guy played to his character while still working with the party, making jokes, etc. like it was just kind of an introductory session bringing him in after the rest of the group had a break, and he played his character better than I could have hoped for. he's like a unicorn or something, someone I don't particularly like IRL who didn't turn into a raving horrible rear end in a top hat at the game table. wow.

ha, nice

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Magres
How is 5e? I haven't played it. Played lots of 3.5e, some 4e, and some Pathfinder. So far Pathfinder is my favorite because it combines my love of 3.5e character building with combat rules that aren't inane. Like watching a newbie playing a Barbarian say "okay if I want to pick up this guy and swing him into his friend on the other side of me what do I need to roll" and having the (also newbie) DM say "uh gimme a Combat Maneuver roll" and just do CMB vs CMD for it instead of whatever arcane garbage 3.5e did for combat maneuvers was really cool and fun.

It also doesn't hurt that his combat maneuver bonus is incredibly good and he basically supplexed the one dude into the other, which was cool.

tao of lmao

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, people who don't believe tabletop gaming can change or develop or become better ruin games. Believing that it doesn't matter whether rule sets function, that it doesn't matter whether the math works or it's playable or people can pick up and understand it because "you can just fix it" is what has held back role-playing for years and years. You don't see this problem in board games. Nobody goes "well, Monopoly was good enough, why don't you just house rule it?" because that's stupid. This is stupid.

uhh, ok man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo

Legit Cyberpunk

cross posting this from tradgmes:

sebmojo posted:

I just DM'd my third game with a bunch of non-geek newbies from my work, and everyone had a blast each time. I hacked together a really simple system to do it, so here it is if you ever want to run something on short notice for people who haven't done it before.

THE MOJO SYSTEM

1. if anyone asks what D&D is, say 'i tell you a story, you're characters in it and decide how it goes, occasionally we roll dice'
2. google a bunch of like 20-30 pictures of D&D characters, pick the ones you like, going for a nice spread of types and genders and ethnicities. print off the list and ask everyone to pick a picture they like.
3. look at each picture and assign 'stats', among STRONG, NIMBLE, WISE, SMART. these are divided into VERY, MODERATELY and NOT VERY - so a stereotypical dwarven fighter might have I AM VERY STRONG, I AM MODERATELY NIMBLE, I AM NOT VERY SMART. Don't worry about the missing one.
4. assign a 'character class', which can be vague or specific as you like e.g. I AM A DWARVEN TROLLHUNTER
5. add two things that each character is very good at, one that's tied to their perceived character class 'SMASHING STUFF' and one that's random e.g. 'THINKING ABOUT CHEESE'. Don't think too hard about it.
6. character prep done! print out a set of characters for your players like this
7. now it's game time! just do your usual DM stuff, setting the scene, moving round the group, upping the stakes, reincorporating stuff as usual. Dungeon World is a good model here, failing forward, all that kind of stuff. If your players are anything like mine they'll be leaping onto character stuff and using their traits and having a whale of a time. Prep can be fairly light, you want to be able to leap on any cool ideas your players have of course - here's my plot sheet for the game i just did*
8. skill checks are handled by a d20 roll - i used something like 'very good +5, good +2, not very good -2' and trying to beat a 10 with the modifiers but frankly you can freestyle it (or make your own system) and noone will mind as long as you're not obviously inconsistent
9. combat is handled by both of you rolling a d20 and adding whatever number seems appropriate, highest number wins and deals out a wound - i kept combats very short, with a max of three wounds till death, preferably more like one or two. when a player takes a wound get them to draw a skull on their sheet, at three skulls they're dead.

And that's it!

*anyone who's played WoW may recognise aspects of this

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread