Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Holyshoot posted:

Same. Also I think the biggest absurdity was when one of the good guys(Nina) turned evil, enabled a virus through the use of a brick cell phone that then crippled CTU. Also the employees druggie brother forcing her to give her key card up was pretty bad. But that was the last or close to last season so not surprising.

The most memorably egregious thing for me was the season when everything needed to be datamined (I think 4 or 5 but could easily be wrong - we kept a tally during that season). Lost cell phone possible belong to a terrorist? Datamine it. Encrypted hard drive? Piece of broken PCB? 9 wires from a possible bomb? Datamine it. Hey guys I have this piece of concrete that I found 8 blocks away from a blast! Datamine it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

The most memorably egregious thing for me was the season when everything needed to be datamined (I think 4 or 5 but could easily be wrong - we kept a tally during that season). Lost cell phone possible belong to a terrorist? Datamine it. Encrypted hard drive? Piece of broken PCB? 9 wires from a possible bomb? Datamine it. Hey guys I have this piece of concrete that I found 8 blocks away from a blast! Datamine it.

Hahah ya, they're technical terms were the worst. I imagine this is what doctors feel like watching shows like ER or Greys Anatomy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought this was an decent follow up. The only thing that felt super "network"-ish to me was the end-of-the-episode montage with music. I'm going to miss Sean Callery's frenetic score superimposed over splitscreens of everyone. The son was annoying again, but he didn't have too much screen time this episode. I laughed at the line making the point that the governor was normally A Good Man.

Kal Penn's story have been a bit ham-fisted, but I appreciate that the show wasn't going to fully ignore the backlash attacks that would most certainly happen. But I did roll my eyes a little at the "We Are All Americans" moments.

Also, I'm reminded of the Polish plane crash that wiped out off a huge chunk of the top of the government in 2010. It's still nothing compared to DS, but some people were talking about history and historical precedent.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 30, 2016

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

try the new taco place posted:

This show got a full season pickup!

Ooh, so there will be a major villain swerve after episode 13?

RIP, 24 emoticon :24:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ooh, so there will be a major villain swerve after episode 13?

RIP, 24 emoticon :24:

Actually it's not dead, you just have to spell it out. :twentyfour:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
FBI chick subplot is cancerously bad. Its even worse than the teenager subplot and that requires effort.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Wimpy president is going to get old fast. I want a president I can cheer for but I'm starting to sympathize with the General. I like his values and calm manner but he doesn't have to be so :cripes: Although the way he stood up to the General was a good start.

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

FBI chick subplot is cancerously bad. Its even worse than the teenager subplot and that requires effort.

Maggie Q doesn't do cop very well, I don't know why she keeps getting those roles. It's not that she's specifically bad at anything, I can't put a finger on it but she should be doing something else.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Q isn't a last name!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

nooneofconsequence posted:

Q isn't a last name!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Technically that's his first name.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Can the terrorist blow up his family so he goes full Jack Bauer mode.

We did get a drat IT this week, so hopefully we'll see the full Bauer by the end of the season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This must be his dream job, He's finally old enough to be president.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe it's because I only ever watch the cream of the crop of modern TV like Breaking Bad etc but this was ridiculously cliche. ("There were no Homeland Security agents," cop approaching Kal Penn in the inspiring-la-di-da montage at the end not actually suspecting him of being a terrorist, the Strangelove general, and so on.) But it's a fascinating premise so I'll keep watching it until Kirkman has consolidated his authority and the show becomes a poor man's West Wing.

Also everybody in DC being pretty chill about about an enormous terrorist attack reminded me of the 6th season of 24 when a suitcase nuke went off in the LA suburbs and twelve hours later people were still just sitting around in bars and restaurants as though nothing had happened.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Love the title!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I'm really enjoying this show. Some of the stuff is a bit silly (lovely teenage son plot, FBI girl plot) but overall I'm really liking it.

My predictions: he General and the Designated Survivor Senator girl to meet up and start plotting against Mr. Pres; also whoever they found survived in the rubble is going to be someone who was higher in line for President than Southerland's character and it's going to start a big debate over who should actually be president (and of course Southerland's character wins otherwise there's no show).

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Bit too much Jingoism for my taste, but I still enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

Durrrh....Iranians are evil and will immediately go to war with the whole Middle East once the US is down. Luckily brown people are scared of the wimpy president.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

also whoever they found survived in the rubble is going to be someone who was higher in line for President than Southerland's character and it's going to start a big debate over who should actually be president (and of course Southerland's character wins otherwise there's no show).

That shouldn't matter because he was sworn in, right? He is The President. Not acting president or any other wishy-washy term. In theory, they could find the actual former president in the rubble and it won't matter, because technically Kirkman is now officially The President, yes?

Though that's a part that seems a little plot-convenient. I don't know the details of the 25th Amendment and the Line of Succession, but they seemed pretty quick to swear him in before knowing 100% everyone above him was dead. Couldn't he have just been declared Acting President for potentially several days while they search the rubble looking for survivors?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

That shouldn't matter because he was sworn in, right? He is The President. Not acting president or any other wishy-washy term. In theory, they could find the actual former president in the rubble and it won't matter, because technically Kirkman is now officially The President, yes?

Though that's a part that seems a little plot-convenient. I don't know the details of the 25th Amendment and the Line of Succession, but they seemed pretty quick to swear him in before knowing 100% everyone above him was dead. Couldn't he have just been declared Acting President for potentially several days while they search the rubble looking for survivors?

The whole point, and what was mentioned repeatedly, was the extreme and imminent need to establish that the US government still functioned and had an official head of the executive branch. It was kind of undercut by the racist governor disrespectfully calling him "Mr." instead of President and the crisis not being resolved by the president taking direct and firm action but lying and bluffing.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm really enjoying this show. Some of the stuff is a bit silly (lovely teenage son plot, FBI girl plot) but overall I'm really liking it.

My predictions: he General and the Designated Survivor Senator girl to meet up and start plotting against Mr. Pres; also whoever they found survived in the rubble is going to be someone who was higher in line for President than Southerland's character and it's going to start a big debate over who should actually be president (and of course Southerland's character wins otherwise there's no show).

I'm game: It's actually going to be Maggie Q's boyfriend/husband/partner, who's later going to turn out to be in league with whoever is responsible for the attack. She will be forced to shoot him at the end of the season.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
OPEN A SOCKET

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

I honestly have no idea; I thought about that too. Is it even possible for them to go "oops, poo poo" and take backsies the swearing in? And if the current president was found alive, it was never Kirkman's position to take because it was technically never open for taking.

I have no idea what the actual legal ability in this case would be, but I would bet it's going to be a plot point. Even if they aren't actually able to remove him from power, it will be used against him in a "well, he shouldn't have been sworn in anyway" kind of way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I would assume in a real situation where they were looking through a destroyed capitol for bodies, a Designated Survivor would be Acting President until the President was officially declared dead. Then he would be sworn in as President.

But this is TV

Edit: HACK HER CLOUD

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Zero One posted:

I would assume in a real situation where they were looking through a destroyed capitol for bodies, a Designated Survivor would be Acting President until the President was officially declared dead. Then he would be sworn in as President.

But this is TV

That makes a lot more sense. I was wondering the whole time how they knew everyone was dead. People have survived being buried in an explosion before; it seemed premature to just declare a 100% mortality within minutes.

But yes, TV.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

It was kind of undercut by the racist governor disrespectfully calling him "Mr." instead of President

Actually, "Mr." (or I guess "Mrs." in a few months), is the correct form of address for the president of the United States. You'll note that the news will typically identify the office in the first instance that they mention the name ("President Obama") and then use "Mr." for later references ("Mr. Obama").

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I laughed while watching because it's GOT all over again, honor gets you killed, so to speak.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This show is loving terrible. Especially that godawful last scene. "DEPENDS WHOSE SIDE UR ON"

such writing

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zero One posted:

But this is TV

This would definitely be what would happen if cool heads prevailed, but at at the same time I can imagine everybody panicking and swearing him in straight away. And then if the original Pres was alive it would create an interesting constitutional crisis.

I mean, the US is so polarised these days that the legitimacy of the last three presidents has been contested by the other side of politics. The legitimacy of the next one absolutely will be too. You can only imagine how loving crazy things would get if somebody was catapulted into the role in a situation like this.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zero One posted:

But this is TV

Catching up now and just saw this. This show is absolutely 24 Redux.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, "Mr." (or I guess "Mrs." in a few months), is the correct form of address for the president of the United States. You'll note that the news will typically identify the office in the first instance that they mention the name ("President Obama") and then use "Mr." for later references ("Mr. Obama").

That's mostly just the New York Times as far as I'm aware*, and only in the third-person. You still call Obama "Mr. President" or "sir" to his face.

*a style guide decision I disagree with, incidentally, mostly because they apply it to literally everyone and it's weird and silly to describe the perpetrators of a deadly nerve gas attacks against civilians as "Mr. Assad's forces" :rolleyes:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shooting Blanks posted:

Catching up now and just saw this. This show is absolutely 24 Redux.

That's why it's awesome. It's turn-your-brain-off TV with President Jack Bauer about to extract information from a terrorist.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

bad boy in the boy band posted:

That's why it's awesome. It's turn-your-brain-off TV with President Jack Bauer about to extract information from a terrorist.

Problem is, this show is only "24 Redux" if you only showed the President scenes in 24. Don't get me wrong, those were always fun, but 24 balanced out political intrigue with intense action. At this point in the Season, Jack Bauer would have already killed, like, 12 people (one of them in a kick-rear end way like an axe to the back, or tearing out a guys throat with his teeth).

I want to keep an open mind, and enjoy this for what it is, but I worry that the piling on of urgent crisis after urgent crisis is going to get old really fast.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bucswabe posted:

Jack Bauer would have already killed, like, 12 people (one of them in a kick-rear end way like an axe to the back, or tearing out a guys throat with his teeth)

Tom Kirkman uses his glasses to focus light and cause painful second degree burns on theIranian ambassador

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Hack Her Cloud was Craig from Degrassi and one of the random government dudes is the gym teacher. Hooray for shows filmed in Toronto! Was that giant building for the funeral an actual place or just a green screen?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

"I'm writing the speech for your father's eulogy. We were hoping you'd have something personal to say."

"My father was a great man."

This show is bad

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I HOPE THE PRESIDENT CAN SORT OUT AN UNPRECEDENTED GOVERNMENT DECAPITATION STRIKE IN TIME TO MAKE HIS FAMILY DINNER

I WONDER IF HIS TWO SEXY RIVAL CHIEFS OF STAFF WILL SLEEP WITH EACH OTHER

~*~*~HIS TROUBLED SON IS SELLING DRUGS~*~*~

Is all American TV that's not Mad Men or Breaking Bad this awful?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

"Your first job as chief of staff is to make sure Al-Sekar is found, and fast."

This is not the chief of staff's job. He does not have the resources to accomplish this.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

freebooter posted:

I HOPE THE PRESIDENT CAN SORT OUT AN UNPRECEDENTED GOVERNMENT DECAPITATION STRIKE IN TIME TO MAKE HIS FAMILY DINNER

I WONDER IF HIS TWO SEXY RIVAL CHIEFS OF STAFF WILL SLEEP WITH EACH OTHER

~*~*~HIS TROUBLED SON IS SELLING DRUGS~*~*~

Is all American TV that's not Mad Men or Breaking Bad this awful?

Yes. Because most of America is full of dip shits that eat this poo poo up. Why do you think we have the presidential candidates we do.

Bucswabe posted:

Problem is, this show is only "24 Redux" if you only showed the President scenes in 24. Don't get me wrong, those were always fun, but 24 balanced out political intrigue with intense action. At this point in the Season, Jack Bauer would have already killed, like, 12 people (one of them in a kick-rear end way like an axe to the back, or tearing out a guys throat with his teeth).

I want to keep an open mind, and enjoy this for what it is, but I worry that the piling on of urgent crisis after urgent crisis is going to get old really fast.

Don't worry, they will break it up with his idiot son getting his retarded daughter high on E.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Did you watch 24? Even aside from JACK BAUER this show is basically 24 without an on-screen body count. So far I think it's enjoyably silly bad, not boring bad.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's a lot of network stupid, but the story's still rolling along, and they didn't waste our times too much with the family drama.

Nitpicky poo poo:
- The dead first lady is barely mentioned. Shouldn't they pay respects to her too? Put her casket alongside the POTUS? The son didn't have too much to say about his mom.
- I don't understand why they didn't set the service in the National Cathedral. TV shows faked it before.
- The Congresswoman is a Representative, right? The Senate confirms Cabinet members and judges. Reps don't. IRL, the Senate and House has to confirm an unelected VP appointment, which only happened twice in history. Also, it might take a few in-universe few days to happen, but the states should be starting to appoint Senators for the ones that are confirmed dead. For non-US viewers, the rules depend on each state, and the replacement serves until one could be elected by the state. Also, I guess the Congresswoman could technically elect herself speaker, but they haven't finished the recovery efforts, so technically they'll want to wait a bit longer before they have a symbolic Speaker election.

More realistically, the dude probably shouldn't have become CoS after undermining the president with that leak, even if he justifies it as acting on the president's interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Also where are all the dignitaries and heads of state from other countries? In London has Fallen everyone went to the UK Prime ministers death. Didn't look that way for the President of the Unites States of America funeral.

• Locked thread