Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

A midnight curfew has been issued in Charlotte, North Carolina where people are currently taking to the streets in a showing of outrage against the police killing of yet another black man under dubious circumstances.

This is the third consecutive night of demonstrations, during which a man was shot and killed last night.

It is currently 10:43PM in Charlotte. Let us watch, together, and ruminate upon the turmoil in America as we wait to see if the cops are going to start loving people up on live TV.

Link: http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/live-streaming/

if anyone has a better link please share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

According to the anchors, there aint nothing good in the backpacks of the protesters, and the mayor should declare extraordinary circumstances so cops can search backpacks without probable cause.

They are discussing the National Guard taking over at midnight.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Here is my set up for watching the streams
https://twitter.com/CMPD/status/779150535484059649

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

a cop posted:

A midnight curfew has been issued in Charlotte, North Carolina where people are currently taking to the streets in a showing of outrage against the police killing of yet another black man under dubious circumstances.

This is the third consecutive night of demonstrations, during which a man was shot and killed last night.

It is currently 10:43PM in Charlotte. Let us watch, together, and ruminate upon the turmoil in America as we wait to see if the cops are going to start loving people up on live TV.

Link: http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/live-streaming/

if anyone has a better link please share

are you in charlotte/NC or just following it closely?

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lawrence o'donnell is covering this live. the reporter on the ground is doing a great job. he's having to take a breath every once in a while because he got hit by pepper spray. he says he can HEAR the rubber bullets going

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JimDalrympleII/status/779151615483908097

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am watching the one fox stream. seems nice and releativly peacefull so far. a decent amount of white kids with masks and or keffiyehs mixed in the crowds. hopefully they arn't a bunch of wannabe revolutionaries.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/alicesperi/status/779149654697111552
https://twitter.com/JimDalrympleII/status/779152872978124801

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Karl Sharks posted:

are you in charlotte/NC or just following it closely?

Just been following it closely as it's been getting a lot of coverage the last few nights on MSNBC during the 6pm-7pm hour that I usually watch it.

They were commenting on MSNBC about how striking the differences in approaches have been between Charlotte and Tulsa. With Charlotte, the police department has refused to release the video to the public and the resentment has been steadily building since the event occurred. In tulsa, they were very transparent and forthright with the video and you don't see nearly the same sort of outrage.

Community leaders specifically requested no curfews as the demonstrations have been overwhelmingly peaceful up until this point, but the mayor thought differently.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am watching the one fox stream. seems nice and releativly peacefull so far. a decent amount of white kids with masks and or keffiyehs mixed in the crowds. hopefully they arn't a bunch of wannabe revolutionaries.

Link? The one I posted lost the live feed. If anyone has anything else that's public please post. I have msnbc but you need a cable sub for that.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

what are the consequences for staying past the curfew?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a cop posted:

Just been following it closely as it's been getting a lot of coverage the last few nights on MSNBC during the 6pm-7pm hour that I usually watch it.

They were commenting on MSNBC about how striking the differences in approaches have been between Charlotte and Tulsa. With Charlotte, the police department has refused to release the video to the public and the resentment has been steadily building since the event occurred. In tulsa, they were very transparent and forthright with the video and you don't see nearly the same sort of outrage.

Community leaders specifically requested no curfews as the demonstrations have been overwhelmingly peaceful up until this point, but the mayor thought differently.

oh okay, just surprising how many goons around here seem to be from NC as well, so almost expected you to be from here :v:

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Karl Sharks posted:

dude on msnbc said that the officer he interviewed said that they want poo poo to be peaceful (in answering that question directly)

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Karl Sharks posted:

Arrest, presumably. If you have a situation where there's massive groups they would likely opt for dispersion tactics (tear gas, pepper balls, etc).

The curfew is stupid and hopefully it doesn't come to that, though. It would be nice if the mayor renegs and tells the top brass to issue orders to only intervene when/if there's violence.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a helpful bear posted:

dude on msnbc said that the officer he interviewed said that they want poo poo to be peaceful (in answering that question directly)

yeah i just realized i have no idea what the punishment, if there is one?, of staying past a curfew like this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a cop posted:

Link? The one I posted lost the live feed. If anyone has anything else that's public please post. I have msnbc but you need a cable sub for that.

http://taima.tv/r/Predator_TV

lets just say the crowd is kinda /pol/ so ignore the comments.(/pol/ unfortunately, tends to have the more stable live streams for this stuff)

Karl Sharks posted:

probaly arrests or at least getting them off the streets.

a cop posted:

its also because Tulsa was pretty black and white. the dude was straight up murdered. in this one is still up in the air who is lying.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a cop posted:

Arrest, presumably. If you have a situation where there's massive groups they would likely opt for dispersion tactics (tear gas, pepper balls, etc).

The curfew is stupid and hopefully it doesn't come to that, though. It would be nice if the mayor renegs and tells the top brass to issue orders to only intervene when/if there's violence.

so the mayor apparently lost in 2012 to that guy, pittenger, who said the people protesting hate white people lol

and yeah, just saying that's a lot of people to arrest and certainly wouldn't look good arresting peaceful protestors

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a helpful bear posted:

Yeah hopefully this is the outcome. Mayor is on MSNBC right now. They are asking "how are you going to enforce the curfew"

"Clearly we will work to have a gradual clearing of our streets. We have worked hard to get the information out there regarding the curfew. Clearly it is going to take some time to get that word out. We want to be flexible as we enforce it. But we want to have the streets cleared at a reasonable hour. We are saying midnight, but we want it as soon as possible."

Host: "Why announce a curfew at 930 pm. Curfews can sometimes incite anger in crowds"

Mayor: "Atually we announced it at 9. Our LEOs wanted at least a 3 hour window. We've been assessing the activity all day long, and most of the activity started in the evening"

still going..

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Aw shucks, the mayor says the video is "ambiguous" and the investigation needs to be completed! What a crazy turn of events!

EDIT:

Brian Williams - It appears he was walking backwards slowly when he was fired upon and killed. Can you confirm that?

Mayor - He was walking. And there are ambiguities in that...

Holy poo poo

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a helpful bear posted:

Aw shucks, the mayor says the video is "ambiguous" and the investigation needs to be completed! What a crazy turn of events!

EDIT:

Brian Williams - It appears he was walking backwards slowly when he was fired upon and killed. Can you confirm that?

Mayor - He was walking. And there are ambiguities in that...

Holy poo poo

wait, is this the charlotte shooting? i thought video hasn't been released of that because of our laws on body/dash cams?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

just glad mccrory isn't mayor, he'd poo poo the bed with this for sure

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mayor: Curfew is from midnight to six am.

Host: Why are you holding back the vid, and how clear is it?

Mayor: I've seen the vid. I agree with assessment from chief and family (who has seen the vid) that it is ambiguous. There is not a clear picture. Body cam is moving and view is obscured. Dash cam is obscured. It is a challenge and it is ambiguous. This is why we want to have time for the investigation to continue to have all the pieces of the puzzle. We want to be sure that lal the other evidence is put together in a clear picture so folks can understand what happened in the incident.

Host: Is it a book or a gun?

Mayor: It's hard to see what the gentlemen is holding. It's a small item and the gun in question is a small gun. But again it is not a clear video and I think that ambiguity is something that will be a challenge and it's why I want to have an investigation completed before anything else happens.

Host: You havent released the vid so all we have is eyewitness accounts of the vid. Can you confirm that he was walking backwards when he was shot?

Mayor: He is walking and there is ambiguities in that. We are going to let the investigation run its course. We are collecting eyewitness accounts of other folks and other evidence to make it a complete picture.

Host: Any thought to you walking with protesters? Leading a citywide vigil? Dipping into city fund and buying 20k candles and saying that you will stand with the people and lead the way?

Mayor: Well I have been out, not most recently as its gotten dark but I have had meetings with faith leaders who have been out in the streets this evening and we've had numerous conversations about how to have the city be peaceful and have nonviolence be whats conveyed and we have people in the streets listening and hearing what is being said, we want people to exercise their first amendment rights and do it in a safe way

Host: What is role of national guard vs role of police department vs role of state troopers?

Mayor: Purpose of nat guard is to defend property. We have them in front of important buildings so we can avoid breaking of glass, which happened last night. As we have them defending property, it frees up cops to be in the crowds to make sure people are peaceful and not breaking the laws, and arrest them if they do break them.

Host: These humvees are right off the battlefield. Does the sight of those vehicles in your city put a lump in your throat?

Mayor: I have to say we are grateful for our service of men and women in uniform, be them police officers or nat guard. I've talked to them and they seem young but eager to help, and we are all united under our common goal to keep everything in order.

Host: *reads headline about Charlotte over last 3 nights* How do you keep from a fourth night of mass protests on your streets?

Mayor: We will work with community partners to get msg out that violence is not a way to get your message across with the things people are protesting about. We will have community meetings with leaders which have been terrific, we are out there and want to address issues that people are talking about. We have challenges just like all cities, there are racial disparities but we are a can do city and working together we can address those challenges and make things better for everyone.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Karl Sharks posted:

wait, is this the charlotte shooting? i thought video hasn't been released of that because of our laws on body/dash cams?

the attorney for scott's family saw the video, and said that. walking backward slowly, and his hands at his side.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Karl Sharks posted:

they're discussing the vid they refuse to show to the public. when he says its ambiguous you just have to take his word for it :rolleyes:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just practicing my courtroom stenographer skills!! Was paraphrasing some but pretty close to capturing that interview, there. Lots of pretty crazy stuff. Mayor seems like a real poo poo.

e: I mean, not that huge a poo poo, but still not really making a good case for the curfew.

Trash Trick has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Sep 23, 2016

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

doctor iono posted:

the attorney for scott's family saw the video, and said that. walking backward slowly, and his hands at his side.

ahh okay, i missed that, thanks

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

former SC rep. saying he talked to community leaders he knew and they're not even aware of the curfew (no surprise)

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?
I kind of like watching that ending scene from V for Vendetta unfold on CNN. Or should I be watching another station/stream?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

so that's supposed to be the gun?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

JoeBangles posted:

I kind of like watching that ending scene from V for Vendetta unfold on CNN. Or should I be watching another station/stream?

Seems like all the cable news stations are carrying it. If there's anything particularly good on any stream speak up, people!! I just wanted to have a link that everyone could watch for sure so also post any free links to other sources.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

a cop posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://taima.tv/r/Predator_TV

lets just say the crowd is kinda /pol/ so ignore the comments.(/pol/ unfortunately, tends to have the more stable live streams for this stuff)
http://livenewschat.eu/politics if you don't want to deal with poltards

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MSNBC has guy on the ground who's done good reporting from Ferguson and Baltimore. On the other hand Brian Williams is their host at the studio.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://livenewschat.eu/politics if you don't want to deal with poltards

Oh I totally missed that post, thanks, my bad!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

st. louis guy saying it shouldn't take him pointing some gun at the police for them to use lethal force

like how is this a sensible thing to do? how does it take longer to squeeze a trigger than it does to raise your arms, aim and fire a gun??

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They love playing up the ticking clock. "It's been peaceful so far, but JUST THIRTY MINUTES LEFT~~"

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

(msnbc stream) They're showing images of the national guard guys, who are in full kevlar with m4s, being chill as gently caress. Reminding everyone that they were just NC citizens until they were called to suit up. Pretty cool how they're effectively diffusing the situation so far.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a cop posted:

They love playing up the ticking clock. "It's been peaceful so far, but JUST THIRTY MINUTES LEFT~~"

just need a ball to drop like on new year's, except filled with tear gas and pepper spray

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a cop posted:

They're showing images of the national guard guys, who are in full kevlar with m4s, being chill as gently caress. Reminding everyone that they were just NC citizens until they were called to suit up. Pretty cool how they're effectively diffusing the situation so far.

CNN stream earlier had their reporter on the ground saying plenty of protesters had went to them, shook their hands, thanked them, etc.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Karl Sharks posted:

supposedly the mayor and the family have seen that video

also, i thought montell williams was a piece of poo poo but his talk on msnbc is really giving me a lot of respect for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what does the national guard do in this situation? are they "loyal" to the cops, or supposed to be neutral between the two?

• Locked thread