Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Are Hopkins and Fuller better than any three of any other teams wide receivers?

The answer may surprise you.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Intruder posted:

So it's early in the season but last night's performance was so putrid I'll go ahead and say it

The Texans have done it. They've completed the clean sweep. All three major sports teams in Houston had me thinking they either could be good (Texans) or were going to be a contender (Astros, Rockets) and all three made me remember why I'm such a pessimistic fan most of the time. Amazing

The offensive line looks absolutely horrid right now. They were getting pushed around all over the place, couldn't create any running lanes or a clean pocket. Of course, for some reason they decided to start running the pistol out of nowhere so I don't even loving know anymore. This is the kind of thing that happens when you let your 2nd and 3rd best linemen walk in free agency for... reasons? Brandon Brooks, who was really good basically every year, walks so they can sign Jeff Allen, who has one good year in his career (contract year go figure), for half a million a year less

You think the Rockets would trade Harden if they found a partner to eat the salary hit and give a reasonable asset in return?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

Are Hopkins and Fuller better than any three of any other teams wide receivers?

The answer may surprise you.

no

Lol, who posted that dumb idea again? I think Hopkins is occasionally better than A.B. but come on.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pops Mgee posted:

Please come home JJ. Houston can't hurt you anymore if you come to Green Bay.

lol, the Texans were a perennial play-off team when he signed his monster deal.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

So it's early in the season but last night's performance was so putrid I'll go ahead and say it

The Texans have done it. They've completed the clean sweep. All three major sports teams in Houston had me thinking they either could be good (Texans) or were going to be a contender (Astros, Rockets) and all three made me remember why I'm such a pessimistic fan most of the time. Amazing

The offensive line looks absolutely horrid right now. They were getting pushed around all over the place, couldn't create any running lanes or a clean pocket. Of course, for some reason they decided to start running the pistol out of nowhere so I don't even loving know anymore. This is the kind of thing that happens when you let your 2nd and 3rd best linemen walk in free agency for... reasons? Brandon Brooks, who was really good basically every year, walks so they can sign Jeff Allen, who has one good year in his career (contract year go figure), for half a million a year less

why would anyone think anything good is ever going to happen in sport?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Metapod posted:

What is the tff anthem

Back That rear end Up

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the thong song

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
How does anyone look at that game and not see it as the Texans just making GBS threads the bed? They gave up what, 21 points on turnovers, and refused to alter their game plan in-game. They were still trying to run on 3rd & 10 in the 4th quarter.

The patriots executed but the Texans played like the Keystone cops

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Metapod posted:

What is the tff anthem

http://www.gramotunes.com/Buck%2065%20-%20Food.mp3

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

How does anyone look at that game and not see it as the Texans just making GBS threads the bed? They gave up what, 21 points on turnovers, and refused to alter their game plan in-game. They were still trying to run on 3rd & 10 in the 4th quarter.

Bill O'Brien threw the game IMO

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Metapod posted:

What is the tff anthem

Yakety Sax

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

every year Belichick sends one of his coaches out into the league to destroy a team

if they do a good enough job (McDaniels) he brings them back into the fold

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

NC-17 posted:

Yakety Sax

Look on the bright side of life!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dare to be Stupid

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ehud posted:

every year Belichick sends one of his coaches out into the league to destroy a team

Belichick is the greatest football mind of all time except when it comes to drafting WR's.

Malcolm Mitchell might be okay though?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Touch by Stan Bush

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

Of course, after this season he can have McDaniels reduce the Colts roster to more ruble.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
yeah the Texans fumbled 2 kickoffs inside their own 35 yard line, this was just one of those bad, dumb games you forget

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I think the Texans are just an average team that got rolled. they have a QB who makes poor decisions, tips the play before the snap, and doesn't have the trust of the coaching staff, and a defense that was ineffective against a third string rookie QB, couldn't generate turnovers, and allowed a game plan that made heavy use of the option to run all over them. it's not like the Pats beat some championship-caliber team, there was no real "bed making GBS threads" going on - nobody on the Texans played particularly worse than they normally do (Watt excepted, I suppose, although he's still working through that injury?). mediocre teams just play like that on the road sometimes.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tff anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Y33TtSNkE

it's about killing yourself because nothing in your life goes right

quote:

Blue pastures - fade away
Green rivers in silver light
I'm walking to the sound of distant bells
So peaceful I don't know who I am
And just when I think its clear It turns all grey again
And I wonder who will find me in the snow
And just when I thought I was free I got pulled in again
Once your in, your in.
Blue pastures calling home
I'm Walking but I can't stand anymore
hear voices can't tell near or far
weird voices - Lay me down
And I don't see why I'm obliged to just carry on
When everything I touch turns out wrong
And I feel I've committed some crime - but I don't know what I've done
One Day Life just wins
One day life just wins

Still breathing but I'm Tired and I wanna go home
Still breathing but I'm not sure anymore
Still breathing But it doesn't really matter if I fade away.
Fall into this sleep - fall into the deep.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I admit I didn't follow the offseason closely. Why did the Texans sign Brock Osweiler for 37 million dollars? He didn't just look bad out there, he looked like a dude with no business even being in the league.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

What is the tff anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkvrpQidTSs

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Vengarr posted:

I admit I didn't follow the offseason closely. Why did the Texans sign Brock Osweiler for 37 million dollars? He didn't just look bad out there, he looked like a dude with no business even being in the league.

he is very tall

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Vengarr posted:

Panic...untapped talent...meth

Nov 6, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

yeah the Texans fumbled 2 kickoffs inside their own 35 yard line, this was just one of those bad, dumb games you forget

They gave up a naked bootleg to a rookie QB who ran a 5.0 for like 30 yards where he was untouched until the 3 yard line

They played off coverage the entire game despite the Patriots clearly wanting any pass play to be a quick 3 step drop to mitigate their pass rush

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

hey, if the cards are any indication, you'll hang 40 on your next divisional opponent and obliterate them on D

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Our next opponent is the Titans so I'm not sure that would mean much

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Intruder posted:

They gave up a naked bootleg to a rookie QB who ran a 5.0 for like 30 yards where he was untouched until the 3 yard line

That juke too, :laffo:

I felt the same way watching that as I did that time JaMarcus Russell pulled a spin move on Chris Gocong.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Intruder posted:

Our next opponent is the Titans so I'm not sure that would mean much

the titans give the best therapeutic blowouts

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Intruder posted:

They played off coverage the entire game despite the Patriots clearly wanting any pass play to be a quick 3 step drop to mitigate their pass rush

The Chiefs did the exact same thing in the Pats playoff game last year, playing off coverage the whole game with no adjustments despite being carved up. I don't know why DCs think that is the only way to play them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Intruder posted:

yeah, their gameplan was just not any good. and even if you take away those turnovers , what about their offensive performance makes you think a few more possessions would have made the difference? it looks like their only realistic shot was Brock playing the game of his life. I don't think they choked the game away or anything, they're just not that great.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel really bad for Lamar Miller too. He finally gets the workload he wants and the line just gets blown up every single play. He's reduced to finding the tiniest hole in the line and diving through it for a yard or two since they get pushed around by absolutely everyone

indigi posted:

yeah, their gameplan was just not any good. and even if you take away those turnovers , what about their offensive performance makes you think a few more possessions would have made the difference? it looks like their only realistic shot was Brock playing the game of his life. I don't think they choked the game away or anything, they're just not that great.

They were able to play their normal cover 2 and basically take away the passing game because the Texans line isn't good enough to block a 3 man rush at this point. It seemed like Brock just never had an open receiver and made some really good throws to Nuk, but also a lot of bad throws

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

I feel really bad for Lamar Miller too. He finally gets the workload he wants and the line just gets blown up every single play. He's reduced to finding the tiniest hole in the line and diving through it for a yard or two since they get pushed around by absolutely everyone

Also they ran him in ridiculous situations where there was no chance and everyone in the stadium knew what was coming.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NC-17 posted:

Also they ran him in ridiculous situations where there was no chance and everyone in the stadium knew what was coming.

It honestly felt like watching the Kubiak Texans again for awhile. First down? Run off tackle for a yard

I mean at least those two years Foster was really good that worked a lot of the time :sigh:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Osweiler has a cannon for an arm and is atheletic in a Flacco-ish sorta way - he's a credible threat on roll out passes and can scramble some - and one could make the argument he still has a lot of upside that wasn't seen in Denver. Bill O'Brien has a track record of making mediocre QBs look pretty decent. (Fitzpatrick and Hoyer) That being said, he reads the field super slow and thus the Pats baited him into making some dogshit throws last night. I saw that pick he threw to Jamie Collins a mile away.

As for why they paid him that much, well, he was the best QB in free agency - not that it's saying much - and IIRC the only QB the Texans drafted super high was David Carr. Schaub was, of course, acquired via a trade.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

I feel like he fell down really easily whenever he had a running lane tho

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

I feel like he fell down really easily whenever he had a running lane tho

There were a couple plays like that, but hell every back has those plays. Foster used to just slip and fall while making his cut all the time. You have to give your back more than like 3 or 4 good holes to run through per game though

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

The Chiefs did the exact same thing in the Pats playoff game last year, playing off coverage the whole game with no adjustments despite being carved up. I don't know why DCs think that is the only way to play them

The idea is probably "keep the play in front of us and tackle them so they don't get YAC". Except the Patriots constantly stumble onto WRs who can break a tackle or two long enough to get a first down or a TD. Plus we all know Brady is more than happy to 7-yard dink and dunk you to death, so it's an rear end backward gameplan a lot of DCs trot out against them.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

indigi posted:

I think the Texans are just an average team that got rolled. they have a QB who makes poor decisions, tips the play before the snap, and doesn't have the trust of the coaching staff, and a defense that was ineffective against a third string rookie QB, couldn't generate turnovers, and allowed a game plan that made heavy use of the option to run all over them. it's not like the Pats beat some championship-caliber team, there was no real "bed making GBS threads" going on - nobody on the Texans played particularly worse than they normally do (Watt excepted, I suppose, although he's still working through that injury?). mediocre teams just play like that on the road sometimes.

If that had been the Bengals last night, the narrative would be about how they self-destructed but bc it's the Patriots it's some mythical testament to their greatness instead of a special teams meltdown, terrible defensive play, and an offensive game plan so conservative that it would make Marty Shottenheimer blush

• Locked thread