Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think instead of doing Godfather III, Coppola should've done Apocalypse Now II and set it during the Gulf War. Possibly with Keanu Reeves as the Willard surrogate.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Godfather Part II is better than The Godfather

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I agree with the OP. Love both movies and they are among my favorites ever. Godfather II has the nice clever parallel Vito/Michael stories, but the first movie just feels more powerful and coherent to me.

Among the countless classic scenes in both films I think Godfather I has my favorite overall, the Louis' restaurant scene with the crescendo of subway noise, the transition from English to Sicilian, and Michael initially reaching around the toilet flush box and not finding anything.

Deniro stalking Fanucci from the rooftops of Little Italy during the parade is pretty classic too though. The Assassin's Creed games should have a mission where you do something like this with the same musical score.

The original DVD release of the trilogy has commentary track on Godfather I from Francis Ford Coppolla that you should listen to, although it will spoil some of the immersion on subsequent viewings, it's interesting details about the filmmaking process.

It kind of bummed me for some reason to learn that it wasn't Robert Duvall but some double walking around Woltz Studios when he first gets to Hollywood.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, for starters, Godfather II requires a watching of the Godfather I not simply to get an idea of how the characters got to where they are, but to make sense of the juxtapositioned scenes, i.e. the wedding scene in two being a 'Americanised' version of the wedding in one.

First Godfather stands on its own.

Edit: Both are still pretty great, tho.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
My parents had a book version of the first movie, and it had still images from a sequence that I cannot find on screen. Was there a deleted scene with Carlo beating Connie and then kissing her on the bed? I swear I saw that still in the book.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zwabu posted:

Godfather II has the nice clever parallel Vito/Michael stories

I actually really dislike this, if I'm being honest. The issue is that Vito's story was clearly meant to parallel Michael's journey in the first movie (after all, it was in the original novel and for a time was considered for the first film until George Lucas convinced Coppola that it was a distraction and Vito stood on his own without it, a choice I agree with), so its inclusion in the second results in a Michael story that's been written to mirror it, which means we wind up covering a lot of the same ground in a way that feels a bit forced and arbitrary. Michael was already corrupted completely at the end of The Godfather, so watching him get even worse just so Vito's story would have a parallel didn't give us anything new.

But, again... I admit Part II is just a massive blind spot for me. There are individual scenes that I love, but as a whole movie I actively dislike it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sethsez posted:

I actually really dislike this, if I'm being honest. The issue is that Vito's story was clearly meant to parallel Michael's journey in the first movie (after all, it was in the original novel and for a time was considered for the first film until George Lucas convinced Coppola that it was a distraction and Vito stood on his own without it, a choice I agree with), so its inclusion in the second results in a Michael story that's been written to mirror it, which means we wind up covering a lot of the same ground in a way that feels a bit forced and arbitrary. Michael was already corrupted completely at the end of The Godfather, so watching him get even worse just so Vito's story would have a parallel didn't give us anything new.

But, again... I admit Part II is just a massive blind spot for me. There are individual scenes that I love, but as a whole movie I actively dislike it.

The flipside to this is, while I agree that Godfather I is the better movie, I think Godfather II has the better Pacino performance.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The flipside to this is, while I agree that Godfather I is the better movie, I think Godfather II has the better Pacino performance.

The scene where Kay tells Michael about the abortion has, like, the best acting ever.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The extra dig when she mentioned the gender was so intense, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Jack is better than The Godfather

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Jack is better than The Godfather

Cosby lights a fart on fire in that, right? If so, agreed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cacator posted:

The scene where Kay tells Michael about the abortion has, like, the best acting ever.

And it needs it, because Kay's monologue is awful.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Cosby lights a fart on fire in that, right? If so, agreed.

That's exactly what The Godfather was missing

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Conversation is Coppola's best movie.

(And I don't mean the rest of his 70s output is worse or bad, but it's a masterpiece among masterpieces)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Winona doesnt save that movie though. Coppola gets too much blame for being the most obvious had part of a massively bad film.

Yeah, George Hamilton for example, is a way bigger problem with the film.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Godfather 3 would have been a much better movie if Coppola had casted his nephew Nicolas Cage instead of Andy Garcia.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Godfather 3 would have been a much better movie if Coppola had casted his nephew Nicolas Cage instead of Andy Garcia.

Unironically agree. I've been saying that for years. Really bring home how weird that romance is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Unironically agree. I've been saying that for years. Really bring home how weird that romance is.

that's what i was thinking .

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Once Upon a Time in America > The Godfather > The Godfather: Part II > The Godfather: Part III

The ramifications of Leone's film being butchered in half still reverberate to this very day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McyI1IQfcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMT9jEluuOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still never seen that. I'm assuming the 251-minute directors cut is the one to go for?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Still never seen that. I'm assuming the 251-minute directors cut is the one to go for?

I've watched the 3h49m version (229 minutes). Originally planned as two three hour long films Leone relented to a 3h49m version thirty years ago but then it was further cut down to a 139 minute version that Ebert and others called a travesty.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

No. Leone actually supervised and approved the 229 min. cut (though under protest). The 251 min. cut is a hybrid of that cut plus surviving fragments of the 269 min. workprint.

More likely, Leone's final cut would have been somewhere in the middle. From reviews I've read, the extra footage is in absolutely horrific shape.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The Funeral is a better, more honest, and much shorter gangster movie than any Godfather or Goodfellas.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Frank Pentangeli is the best godfather character therefor GF2 > GF1

Gf3 is not underrated at all its just hot garbage all around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Reasons why Part III deserves a break:

1. It helped pay off Coppola's debts
2. It probably inspired Sophia Coppola to go into directing rather than acting.
3. The audio commentary is awesome
4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpVyMAlPBs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I have not seen part 2

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zVxTeflon posted:

Clemenza is totally better than Pentangeli.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I"m watching GF3 right now and you know what I hate about it the most? It has a weird orange/brown color to the whole drat thing. It's so ugly and distracting.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Frankie Five Angels character is worth it just for the scene between him and Tom Hagen where they talk about what would happen to Roman big wigs who plotted against the emperor and failed, and at the end of it Hagen pats him on the shoulder and says "you're going to be all right."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How did the Don catch on that it was Barzini that was pulling all the strings? He knew about this even before the Tessio betrayal. Always struck me as odd.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Vegetable posted:

How did the Don catch on that it was Barzini that was pulling all the strings? He knew about this even before the Tessio betrayal. Always struck me as odd.

I think the implication is that he inferred it based on how Barzini behaved at the meeting, his attitude and assertiveness. He "read" the situation as that Barzini was behind everything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the info re once upon a time :)

Saw Part III so long ago that almost all mentions of the actual story are completely flying over my head here, but it's dull as dishwater half of the time and has that hilariously poo poo silent scream bit.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I"m watching GF3 right now and you know what I hate about it the most? It has a weird orange/brown color to the whole drat thing. It's so ugly and distracting.

This may be why George Hamilton felt like an odd choice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GF1 is better because GF2 is two movies stapled together slightly awkwardly.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Tattaglia is a pimp. He never could of outfought Santino.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This may be a stupid observation, and I haven't seen Part 2 in years, but I always thought the live sex show in Cuba was odd, with the guy they called "Superman." Would such wealthy and prominent people have gone to something like that back then, in that setting?

EDIT: Apparently that was all real, and that's exactly what rich folks did:
http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/a-colorful-look-back-at-pre-castro-cuba-7133219

I also always wondered about how the Don knew it was Barzini all along.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 25, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This may be a stupid observation, and I haven't seen Part 2 in years, but I always thought the live sex show in Cuba was odd, with the guy they called "Superman." Would such wealthy and prominent people have gone to something like that back then, in that setting?

EDIT: Apparently that was all real, and that's exactly what rich folks did:
http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/a-colorful-look-back-at-pre-castro-cuba-7133219

I also always wondered about how the Don knew it was Barzini all along.

Live sex shows were a part of the fabric of orientalist pulp fiction going all the way back to travelogue literature. It's like a full quarter of Mondo Cane.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Live sex shows were a part of the fabric of orientalist pulp fiction going all the way back to travelogue literature. It's like a full quarter of Mondo Cane.

Ah, never seen Mondo Cane. Another hole in my education.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mondo Cane is not actually that good compared to a fair amount of Mondo movies, but obviously extremely important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Steve2911 posted:

GF1 is better because GF2 is two movies stapled together slightly awkwardly.

I've seen this sentiment, and I'm really confused. Part Two isn't two stories stapled together. It's more about the collapse of the Corleone family, and it contrasts that with its rise.

The big thing you see is loyalty. People are loyal to Don Vito. But nobody is loyal to Michael. They all gently caress him or try to throughout the film.

There's one scene where Michael asks his mother if it is possible to lose your family.

The first film might show him corrupted, but this film shows the consequence of his actions. And contrasted with the rise of his father, you learn more about what is happening to Michael.

• Locked thread