Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«82 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

There are multiple people in this thread produced very high quality food photography. Y'all should monetize that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Who has money for food pictures tho?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

edit: I'd totally help on a book titled Apocalypse Cooking: How to Eat Like a Queen At the End of Civilization
This is not an empty quote.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Captain Log posted:

There are multiple people in this thread produced very high quality food photography. Y'all should monetize that.

I could see a niche for a blog or book with high quality food+gun pictures. Play it straight or think up a reason why the recipe and guns are paired up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Who has money for food pictures tho?

Man that whole industry is boned.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

I could see a niche for a blog or book with high quality food+gun pictures. Play it straight or think up a reason why the recipe and guns are paired up.

This is A+ coffee table material.

Call it "Good Guns & Fun Foods"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Or you know you could just have a nice coffee table gun book and food book and mash them together.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Man that whole industry is boned.
For what its worth, it's always been an industry with tight margins.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I feel sorry for the operator of a Popeyes chicken that's the only fast wood on the street without a drive through.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

For what its worth, it's always been an industry with tight margins.

A friend and I had a goal of opening a restaurant, to the point of having a business plan and poo poo.

Once we sat down and looked at the numbers, that restaurant turned into a food truck pretty quick.

But then he met his future wife, who loathed me, and that was that.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Food trucks can be more profitable due to the lack of cost associated with operating a FOH, but they often add additional logistical considerations that can chew at your margins.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The best way to make money with a restaurant is to have a solid bar program.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

Food trucks can be more profitable due to the lack of cost associated with operating a FOH, but they often add additional logistical considerations that can chew at your margins.

When the 2008 Recession happened, there was one restaurant model that surged in profitability while all the others went bankrupt.

Counter Service places. The most popular one back then was Pei Wei. It turns out you can produce quality food and an excellent dining experience with counter service. Just have a few floating servers in the dining room and a good guy running the kitchen. The best chef I knew actually went to work at a Pei Wei and he loved it.

Our whole "Concept" (outside of the food) was a restaurant where everyone got paid $15 an hour and tips were discouraged. In 2007, that was a wild idea.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What are food trucks doing now?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Probably not much but the costs for mothballing a food truck are way less than a restaurant. A lot of those places operate on tight margins to begin with and paying months of rent without any income is going to loving kill them even if theyíre otherwise profitable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably not much but the costs for mothballing a food truck are way less than a restaurant. A lot of those places operate on tight margins to begin with and paying months of rent without any income is going to loving kill them even if theyíre otherwise profitable.

True but restaurants are able to do takeout while food trucks? I mean the whole model of a food truck is take out. I just haven't snooped around town enough to know if they are just operating as usual.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

True but restaurants are able to do takeout while food trucks? I mean the whole model of a food truck is take out. I just haven't snooped around town enough to know if they are just operating as usual.

It's probably a lot harder to socially distance in a commissary kitchen and in the back of a food truck, than at a restaurant with a takeaway counter. Plus, with many workplaces being closed, it's probably an awful lot harder to generate enough traffic to make payroll and operating costs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah basically the entire food truck business model is parking out front of office buildings, tourist traps, or bars.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah basically the entire food truck business model is parking out front of office buildings, tourist traps, or bars.

If you become established, you can make a living having someone spend their day updating your whereabouts on Twitter. But you have to be seriously good. That's why some really high level guys have started doing the food truck thing. Spend a few months doing it yourself, generate a good rep, hand it off to someone you trust, rinse, and repeat.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

I had a cabbage heart left over from making venison/pork sausage cabbage rolls last week-- which were magnificent, but not photogenic-- so I made a slaw. Green cabbage, yellow onions, minced garlic, serranos, mayonnaise, lime juice, rice vinegar, caraway seeds, dill, black pepper, celery salt, and curry powder.

Shaocaholica posted:

Some taco trucks are finally implementing the eternal dream of adults everywhere and following the ice cream truck model of rollin' into neighborhoods and apartment complexes and blastin' out food-regionally appropriate music so people can run out for treats.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Captain Log posted:

Our whole "Concept" (outside of the food) was a restaurant where everyone got paid $15 an hour and tips were discouraged. In 2007, that was a wild idea.

That still seems like a really wild idea. Like, absolutely no one does that. I've never seen that in my life. But a great one that should be common practice.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 19, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That still seems like a really wild idea. Like, absolutely no one does that. I've never seen that in my life. But a great one that should be common practice.

Itís been tried. Mostly in the last few years with thr push for a higher minimum wage. Google around and youíll find articles.

The general take aways are

1) the restaurants need to charge more up front to cover labor costs. This makes the menus look more expensive. If you tip you end up paying the same anyways but customers are dumb and it still ends up turning them off.

2) tipping is ingrained enough in people that they still feel the need to even if you tell them not to. Which leads back to your $18 burger and problem #1.

Itís a great idea and I would love to see it work but boo boy it needs some major loving changes. Like societal wide. I figure it could happen if servers getting the state minimum was made law across the country but even then you would have an adjustment period.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Itís been tried. Mostly in the last few years with thr push for a higher minimum wage. Google around and youíll find articles.

The general take aways are

1) the restaurants need to charge more up front to cover labor costs. This makes the menus look more expensive. If you tip you end up paying the same anyways but customers are dumb and it still ends up turning them off.

2) tipping is ingrained enough in people that they still feel the need to even if you tell them not to. Which leads back to your $18 burger and problem #1.

Itís a great idea and I would love to see it work but boo boy it needs some major loving changes. Like societal wide. I figure it could happen if servers getting the state minimum was made law across the country but even then you would have an adjustment period.

I've seen this addressed by requesting servers refuse tips and explaining their compensation package, and only relenting if the customer insisted. Besides signage and telling customers at the start and when they bring the bill.

Doesn't help the cases where people just leave money on the table but welp

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

My favorite no-tipping story is when a restaurant in a college town in Ohio went so hard in the employee-owned direction that it ran afoul of the Department of Labor because their rules can't conceive of a restaurant that isn't screwing over its employees at every opportunity.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DarkHorse posted:

I've seen this addressed by requesting servers refuse tips and explaining their compensation package, and only relenting if the customer insisted. Besides signage and telling customers at the start and when they bring the bill.

Doesn't help the cases where people just leave money on the table but welp

Even then, a lot of FOH staff in major markets will still feel undercompensated. Danny Meyer famously tried this in NYC with his restaurant group and lost ~40% of his legacy FOH staff as a result. This is partly due to pay - yes, having it be consistent and reliable is good, but for a lot of servers and bartenders it's still a pay cut and 5-10% is probably acceptable to a lot of people, 25%+ is not. Right now anyone who both stuck around at one of Meyers' places and is still working is probably incredibly grateful - but during good times, flat pay can sting for FOH workers. Ultimately if that's the direction we're going to go, as a society we need to get used to much higher menu prices and start treating eating out as a luxury as opposed to a 4-5 night per week occurrence.

It's great for BOH staff though, who need the pay bump more than anything else.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Just get rid of the tip line on credit card receipts. Get rid of the tip jar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

With Meyers' places, I believe he went to credit cards only with no tip line and people would still purposefully bring cash and leave it on the table despite being informed tips aren't accepted. Americans often feel like tipping for service is an obligation, even if they've been explicitly told not to.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Shooting Blanks posted:

Even then, a lot of FOH staff in major markets will still feel undercompensated. Danny Meyer famously tried this in NYC with his restaurant group and lost ~40% of his legacy FOH staff as a result. This is partly due to pay - yes, having it be consistent and reliable is good, but for a lot of servers and bartenders it's still a pay cut and 5-10% is probably acceptable to a lot of people, 25%+ is not. Right now anyone who both stuck around at one of Meyers' places and is still working is probably incredibly grateful - but during good times, flat pay can sting for FOH workers. Ultimately if that's the direction we're going to go, as a society we need to get used to much higher menu prices and start treating eating out as a luxury as opposed to a 4-5 night per week occurrence.

It's great for BOH staff though, who need the pay bump more than anything else.

I've always thought it was strange that people accept tipping as a percentage of one's total bill to be a sane way to handle things.

Pre-pandemic, I regularly left ~50% tips at some places because it seemed lovely that the Waffle House waitress who brought me 4 plates and refilled my drink three times is "supposed" to get a $1.25 tip or that someone should arbitrarily make less in tips because their employer has awesome lunch specials. I get that there are lots of people who have worked their way up to higher end restaurants and incur more expenses along the way (like having to wear more expensive clothes), but it just seems bizarre to me that most people don't question tipping a server at a steakhouse ten times as much as a server at a diner.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

I hate being waited on tip or not and seek out self service places when possible.

There's a burger chain around here which adopted a incredibly stupid hybrid of self-service and wait staff where you still walk up to the counter to order, pay, and get your drink but they then bring the tray of food out to your table and wait on you and bring you little tubs of ketchup and napkins and refill your drink. Of course you are expected to fully tip for this miniscule amount of service. Prices didn't go down either when they introduced this new "service", and I hated it so much I haven't been back.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

I hate being waited on tip or not and seek out self service places when possible.

There's a burger chain around here which adopted a incredibly stupid hybrid of self-service and wait staff where you still walk up to the counter to order, pay, and get your drink but they then bring the tray of food out to your table and wait on you and bring you little tubs of ketchup and napkins and refill your drink. Of course you are expected to fully tip for this miniscule amount of service. Prices didn't go down either when they introduced this new "service", and I hated it so much I haven't been back.

Oh, I ate at a place like that in Manhattan and hated it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

One thing a lot of people don't know is the lifetime servers that are excellent can make pretty decent money. At the nice restaurant I managed, multiple servers had multiple guests who would only sit with them and leave $100 every time. Sometimes two or three times a week.

For a restaurant to succeed with the whole "no tip but great wage" thing, it would have to be started that way with a bunch of quality newbies. I also toyed with the concept of having a tipping option that got pooled and split between every nonsalaried employee. Tennessee is a no income tax state that borders one of the wealthiest counties in the country. People there had more money than they knew what to do with. That's how I ended up taking care of everyone from Miley Cyrus to Robert Plant - everyone with money had a home there.

(Al Gore would order a four person dessert and eat it himself called a Heath Bar Pie.)

(When a restaurant runs out of something, the phrase used is, "86 Whatever." Normally, you'll have a board in the back that says, "86 French Fries" etc. Well, one day we ran out of the Heath Bar Pie, so I wrote "86 Heath" on the board in the back. All my employees started acting REALLY pissed at me. Turned out, Heath Ledger had just died a few hours ago and they thought I was being mean.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

(When a restaurant runs out of something, the phrase used is, "86 Whatever." Normally, you'll have a board in the back that says, "86 French Fries" etc. Well, one day we ran out of the Heath Bar Pie, so I wrote "86 Heath" on the board in the back. All my employees started acting REALLY pissed at me. Turned out, Heath Ledger had just died a few hours ago and they thought I was being mean.)

Anyone pissed at you had an objectively incorrect reaction to what was probably the best unintentionally black-comedy moment they were ever likely to experience. Because you had run out of a certain flavor of Heath. I would have congratulated you on a job well done, but mainly because I'm an rear end in a top hat who thinks that Heath Ledger was colossally overrated.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Anyone pissed at you had an objectively incorrect reaction to what was probably the best unintentionally black-comedy moment they were ever likely to experience. Because you had run out of a certain flavor of Heath. I would have congratulated you on a job well done, but mainly because I'm an rear end in a top hat who thinks that Heath Ledger was colossally overrated.

I'm sure my reaction of laughing really hard when someone told me what happened didn't help.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So, my wife works for a catering company on the operations/logistics side and they are trying to move to doing grocery and small family meal type deliveries since 200+ person weddings and corporate events aren't really a thing for the foreseeable future. She was given a couple boxes of meals for 4 to bring home so she could "take a few cell phone photos for instagram." Her boss is a friend that we have both known for like 20 years so why he didn't think this would happen, or just ask me to do it, I don't know.

Asian Mirin Glazed Salmon & Lemon Squares by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

A lot of restaurants are now loving flailing to succeed in their carry out business. You are uniquely positioned to put together a photo resume and turn your hobby into cash.

Itís a big deal that these are un-hosed with photos of food. Not glue and hairspray pretending to be significantly more edible that they actually would be.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Captain Log posted:

A lot of restaurants are now loving flailing to succeed in their carry out business. You are uniquely positioned to put together a photo resume and turn your hobby into cash.

Itís a big deal that these are un-hosed with photos of food. Not glue and hairspray pretending to be significantly more edible that they actually would be.

I'm going to do some research into this over the weekend I guess. Look through Yelp, et al for local places with lovely pictures and make a list, then send some Instagram messages or emails. A successful business is like 90% marketing and 10% doing the thing you're actually good at and I loving hate that ratio.

Have some more from tonight's dinner.

Short Ribs, Bourbon Butter Bundt Cakes, Cookies & Milk by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Short Ribs, Bourbon Butter Bundt Cakes, Cookies & Milk by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I need some more props, dishes and flatware but Crate & Barrel Outlet isn't an essential business

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Iíve been to 5 commercial shoots for Mcds and 1 for Dennyís. Itís interesting how the art dept preps the fake food for filming. Especially the slow motion shots of burger patties flying in the air and burgers falling onto a counter. I have a bunch of footage of the entire takes where the burgers fall apart and other out takes.

Nothing is real. Nothing is hot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm going to do some research into this over the weekend I guess. Look through Yelp, et al for local places with lovely pictures and make a list, then send some Instagram messages or emails. A successful business is like 90% marketing and 10% doing the thing you're actually good at and I loving hate that ratio.

Have some more from tonight's dinner.

I need some more props, dishes and flatware but Crate & Barrel Outlet isn't an essential business

Dude, you absolutely have what it takes, precisely for this reason -

Shaocaholica posted:

I’ve been to 5 commercial shoots for Mcds and 1 for Denny’s. It’s interesting how the art dept preps the fake food for filming. Especially the slow motion shots of burger patties flying in the air and burgers falling onto a counter. I have a bunch of footage of the entire takes where the burgers fall apart and other out takes.

Nothing is real. Nothing is hot.

So much of food photography is all about fake bullshit. You are getting amazing photographs of the real deal.

Gordon Ramsay used to have a saying, "Show me a menu with pictures and I can show you a place I don't want to eat." For the longest time, food photography wasn't worth much. But in the age of home delivery, quarantine, lockdown, and carry out, you could really have a chance to establish yourself. It would be a grind, but you have the ability and the skill. I'm not saying it will replace your day job, but it sure would make one hell of a gun fund.

I was normally a Service Manager, not a General Manager. I never had to hire advertisers and poo poo like that. But if I can help you with industry knowledge in any way, just hit me up.

Hell, if you lived closer I'd insist on starting a business.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I like picture menus tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

I like picture menus tho

If itís a picture menu because of a language barrier - Good

If itís a picture menu because of items are named, ďRimmy Timís American Nacho Cheese Shrimp and Hot Dog BlastĒ - Not Good

«82 »