Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Honest question. Dell XPS M1330

Specs: http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-m1330/specs/

The only thing I've done to that is upgrade to a whopping 2 GB RAM (I think - maybe I did 4, but I don't think so); I had to put a new screen in it a few years ago, and I replaced the battery and the HDD. The spacebar key sticks, which is highly annoying, but I imagine that just needs to be cleaned inside and it will no longer be a problem.

I haven't really used the laptop in like 5 years. It's a very high quality laptop (in 2007 terms) and did serve me very well, even when I was using it as a gaming laptop hooked up to a 24" monitor. But, at a certain point, Windows 7 just got too fat to run with any degree of satisfaction, and so the laptop just sits there on the shelf, like a little red trophy - it does look quite nice, in fact. Everything works fine; I just can't reasonably run Windows 7 (or 10, I assume...haven't bothered to find out). In any case, it's use as a regular Windows laptop is so severely hamstrung by the limitations of the 10-year old hardware that I really don't even think there is a reason just to try to use it as strictly an internet-browsing device.

Or is there?

I'm not selling it or giving it to charity, but I'm open to any kind of creative use for it, probably involving the installation of a non-Windows OS, and probably also without any real consideration given to running on battery for more than an hour. Any ideas at all? Even just stupid fun poo poo is a worthwhile suggestion; it doesn't need to be strictly "useful." I could use it as a $2600 alarm clock, as far as I'm concerned. I just like it and want to find a use for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I like the cut of your jib. Good answer.

• Locked thread