Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid

"Hey dad. Sorry I haven't called in a while, things have been a little... hectic. Oh, no, I'm fine, don't worry about me, I'm a hero now after all! Haha, I know, I know. Hm? The cookies? Oh! Yea, I had to get a little help getting them here, but I got them! But uh dad, don't you think you've made a little too many? Sure, I'll share them. Thanks dad! Hm? What? "The Guardian Bell's Spirit Lives On? That's... uh, well you know Ms. Gammon, she knows how to write headlines that gets people's attention. I'll be fine, dad. I know. Love you too."

--

I keep thinking, there's going to be a point when all of this won't be a surprise anymore. It's all going to be boring, and mundane, like everything else in my life before all this. But now is not that point. Our base is in the sky. The sky! Just a few weeks ago I was a semi-normal girl, with a normal part-time job, going to a normal school, living a normal life. I was part of the crowds that watched heroes from afar, watching them save the day so people like me can sleep easy. And now? Now I'm a part of them. Me! Can you believe it? Because I sure can't. It all feels like a dream. Like I'm going to wake up one day, and I'm back at my house, living my boring, normal life again.

Or it'll be a nightmare and everything around me starts exploding. Again.

I shake my head and pat my cheeks. Okay, Pepper, stop thinking like that. You're a hero now. You can't let those doubts creep into you. You need to stand strong and keep moving forward!

I go to the hero archive room to clear my head a little. Sure it's not the fanciest place in our BASE IN THE GOSH DARN SKY, but it's my favorite place to be. There's so much information about current and past heroes here, more than you can ever find down below, it's almost overwhelming. You'd think reading about other heroes and their adventures would make me feel worse about myself, but it doesn't. It's more, I dunno, inspiring? There's something about reading about how they fight, how some manage to win, no matter how stacked the cards are against them, that just make me feel like, maybe, I have a chance. I can be like them too. I can be like mom.

--

"That.was.SO.COOL!!!" I couldn't contain my excitement, and can you blame me? I was on TV! We all where on TV! And we all looked AWESOME! The camera work! The effects! The music, oh my god the music! All of it was perfect! They even went and used all the shots I made! But did they really have to use those shots? Ugh.

I think back to those photos, and I felt my face scrunch up into a frown. The focus was all off, and none of them were properly centered. Sheesh, what was I thinking with that one? The composition is awful. I wonder if they'll let me take new pictures that aren't as embarrassing for the next one.

I don't know how I feel about Gareth. I've never really met him face to face, but everything Vitreloy told me about him makes him sound a little... controlling? Maybe it's a bit unfair for me to judge me when I've never talked with him, but there's just something about him that I just don't tr-.... Wait.

What did he just say?

WHAT!?

I'M the leader? This is a joke, right? You can't be serious? Of all the amazing and super powerful people here, they picked ME? The girl who's only power is phasing over things that scare me? The one with NO battle experience? There's no way this is right. This is a mistake. I wasn't serious when I elected myself. It was just me letting my dumb emotions get the best of me, that's all! I didn't think they would vote for me! No, I gotta talk to somebody, this is obviously wrong, this is-

I felt a light slap on my back, snapping me out of my thoughts. It was Clatterclaw. "Uh..." Holodeck? Training? Wait, what was that about a beach mod? Huh? "I... thanks?"

Okay, calm down Pepper. It's fine. You're fine. You can do this. You have time. It's not like you're going to be thrown into a mission right this second.

...Wait, what's that sound?

--

Are you serious?

This can't be real. This is not real. I don't know if I can handle this right now. I made all that talk about being a hero and making a difference, and yet here I am, scared out of my mind. Feijiang has been giving me these looks on our way here and they sure haven't been improving my mood any.

Wait, Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith's friend? Oh God.

"We..." I pause and let out a nervous gulp. I try to force the words to come out of my mouth but I can't.

No. I can't do this. Not right now. Their friend is in danger, and so are all those people. We need to stop this. I need to fight through this fear. They're counting on me, and I, I can't let them down now. Think. What would Ms. Gammon say?

"I'll... I'll go save your friend,. Tunneler, you and I will concentrate on saving the civilians. Vitreloy, Feijiang, Spark, I need you three to keep the bad guys busy, give Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith enough time to gather intel, and make sure to keep them away from the civilians, their safety is our priority. Once we have the info, we'll engage them fully, until then, don't be reckless!"

Did I actually say all that? Doesn't matter. There's no time for that. Those people are in danger, and I'm the one who can get to them the quickest by phasing through all the debris. I can't afford to hesitate now.

quote:

<Hugzilla> gonna protect the heck out of some dudes
<Hugzilla> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Hugzilla: 10 (2d6+2=6, 2)
<TheNabster> Good job
<Hugzilla> heck yes

Marked Afraid to get back the lost Team, and using my 10 defend roll to clear it.

When you defend someone or something from an immediate threat, roll + Savior. For NPC threats: on a hit, you keep them safe and choose one:
• clear a condition

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Feijiang, no! Wait!" Argh, can't she at least pretend to listen to my orders? Fine. Whatever. She can do what she wants. I don't care!

...Okay, I do care. I care a lot. I just want her to trust me, but I guess she just sees me as a burden, and can you blame her? I just, I just want her to- did it just get really hot in here?

It was fire. Fire was spreading everywhere, and before I could process what was going on, I noticed a giant, flaming tendril head to Jessica's direction.

"Get down!" I tried to move her out of the way, but there was no way I could get her out in time. The flames were coming too fast. I grabbed onto her, and before I know it, the flames passed by us, leaving both of us without a scratch. I somehow managed to make her intangible too when I grabbed onto her.

"Huh. Didn't even know I can do that."

"You saved my life!" Jessica says in astonishment,

"Haha, y-yea, I guess I did!" I couldn't help but beam a little. That was close, but I was just happy I managed to make it to her in time.

"help me."

Wait, that was Spark's voice. Is she in trouble? "Spark? Hey Spark, what's wrong?"

That's when I noticed it. The fire was coming from her. Oh no, Spark. What's happening to you? Is this because of me? Was this from my orders? Did I... Did I make a mistake?

I have to go to her. She needs help. I have to help her.

"Hey, wait a minute, is that Rachel? Rachel! Raaaachelll! You've got to get out of here! Oh, my god, you've got to help me. That's my friend, Rachel, over there. You've got to get her out of danger! I won't leave without her!"

Oh, no no no no no. Not this, not right now. I need to go help Spark, but I can't just leave Jessica alone, and oh no, are those people unconscious? Why is this happening? When did things get worse? Is this all my fault? Everything is falling apart, and I don't know what to do.

No. I need to focus. I need to think, like Ms. Gammon taught me. I need to remember I'm not alone. I have my team, and I just need to believe in them. I want to help them, but I need to help Jessica right now. She'll only get hurt if she stays here, and I need to convince her to leave. I just need to think, what would I say if this was Marcy?

quote:

<Hugzilla> gonna pierce jessica's mask
<Hugzilla> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+3 = 12

Going to ask:
• what do you want me to do?
• how could I get Jessica to leave?
• what are you really planning?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 25, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I put my hands on Jessica's shoulders, "Look, you need to understand; this place is dangerous right now. Rachel, and my team, are fighting right now to try and protect people like you, and I think she would hate it if anything happened to you because of her. I know you're worried about her, but she'll be fine, okay? I'll make sure of it."

I let go of her shoulders before I take one last look at her. It's obvious she's still nervous, and I really can't blame her. I am, too, but I can't worry about that right now. My team needs me, and I've spent too much time doing nothing. I give her a reassuring smile, "Don't worry. After all," I point a thumb at myself and give her a wink, "We're heroes! And heroes never back down from a fight! We do whatever it takes to protect the innocent, and we never give up! It'll take more than some jerkface and his tree hulk to stop us! Now, go, find someplace safe! You can catch up with Rachel after all this is over, I promise!"

I turn from Jessica, and start running back into the fight. Okay, think, focus. Everything is still on fire, and my team is in big big trouble. We need to end this fast, and soon before it gets ugly. What did Clatterclaw say again? Take down the sprite and the tree giant might stop fighting? Maybe that's it.

"Clatterclaw, Vitreloy, Tunneler, I need you three to focus down the sprite! Don't give him a chance to catch his breath! I'll go help Spark and Feijiang!" I just started yelling orders and I wasn't even sure if they were the right ones, but I can't doubt myself. I can't let my team down. I need to help Spark. I need to help my friend.

I was too late. I couldn't make it in time. I saw her, right in front of me, be batted away by the tree giant's attack, and I couldn't do anything to help, and she... oh god, Spark, I'm so sorry.

I saw the giant ready another swing, and it was heading straight for Feijiang. I can't, I can't let another team mate go down because of me. I run as fast as I possibly can, stretching out my arms and fingers, and before the giant could connect with his blow, I manage to touch her barely in time, turning us both intangible, as the giant's attack phases right past us.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Gonna defend Feijiang from the tree titan
<Hugzilla> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 4+2 = 6
+1 because of my influence with her, turning it into a 7

My lungs are on fire right now. I don't think I've ever ran that fast in my life. I try to talk but all I can do is heave and gasp. But this is nothing compared to what the rest of my team went through, "F-F-Fei.... Feijang," I take another moment to catch my breath. I finally manage to get myself back up, sweat pouring all over my face, and look at Feijiang, not making eye contact with her. "I...I..."

I think you're amazing. You've done more than I have. You took action when I sat there, twiddling my thumbs. You came to Spark's aid when I had no idea what to do. You've done more for the team than I have.

I straighten up, and look her straight in the eyes. "I know you have problems with me being leader, but we can talk about that later when there aren't lives in danger." I poke an angry finger at her chest, "Now, I need you to listen to me, and follow my orders this time. You and I? We're going to take down the big guy. I'm sure you have no problem with that, right?"

"And Spark," I turned to look at Spark, and she was... laughing? "Spark? Hey, what's wrong?" I reach a hand out for her, and before I knew it, a burst of fire came out of her. I barely managed to phase through it in time. Spark is.. she's losing control of herself. Is this because I was too late to save her? I want to say... anything, something, but I don't know what. All I can do is stare in shock as the flames dance around me.

What... what do I do?

Whoops! Forgot to take one of the options for defend. I'm going to add another Team in the pool.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 29, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

This is a dream. Just a really bad dream. I'm going to wake up soon, and this is going to be all over. There's no way things could possibly get this bad, haha. Any second now, I'll wake up, and laugh about this with my team. Oh god, this isn't a dream, this is really happening. We're supposed to be heroes. We were supposed to help, but all we did was make things worse. Please don't cry, please don't cry. All I wanted to do is help people, like my mother, but people are getting hurt, and all I want to do is run away, just run and keep running away from this nightmare. I'm a failure, a fraud. They were right about me. I can't be a hero. I'm nothing more than a fake. I'm... I'm..

"Now is not the time to lose your nerve."

Huh? Feijiang? Is she... trying to encourage me?

"If you still want to take down the giant, then let's do it now. If you need me to do something about Spark, I'll do it. If you have any other ideas, I'll listen. We'll worry about everything else later."

"Just tell me what to do."

It took a moment for her words to sink in, and as soon as it does, I felt like something changed in me. I'm still scared, I'm still worried, but I need to push on through, for them. "You're right," I say as I wipe away the tears with my sleeves, "I-we can't give up now."

"Team, change of plans. Try to restrain the sprite if you can, but don't focus on him, he's not the priority anymore; it's the people. There are people who hurt and unconscious, and we need to help them before things get worse. Do something, anything you can about the fire, please. As for Spark, I'll handle her... somehow. Just believe in me, okay?" I took a deep breath, and continued on, "And guys? No matter what they say about us after today, I just want you to all know that I think each and every one of you are amazing. I know we haven't known each other for that long, but this team means so much to me, and I hope you all feel the same way, too. If we make it out of this, we're going to have a pizza and ice cream party tonight, so I want you all to do your best!"

I look directly at Feijiang, "You want to know what to do? Okay," I point at the giant, "I want you to go punch that giant. Go punch it as hard as you possibly can. I want you to make it feel the same pain Spark is feeling. But worse. Can you do that?"

"Oh, and Feijiang?" I give her a smile. The kind of smile that says everything will be okay, maybe, "Thank you."

Using the comfort roll to mark potential.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 29, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

quote:

<Hugzilla> Taking a powerful blow from the blast
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 5 = 5
Marking potential

"Ahhhh!" Oh my god that was close. The blast caught me by surprise, but I managed to phase through it at the last second. I don't even want to think about what would've happened to me if I was caught up in the full force of the blast. It's not like I have super healing or skin made of steel, I probably would've started living up to my name. Okay, enough thinking about the morbid stuff, I'm still alive, a little disoriented, but alive, I just need to... need to... need...

...Am I clinging onto Feijiang's arm?

Oh, I am, and I'm holding on a... bit... tight...

"UH," Okay, this is a little awkward, but you can still salvage this. Just don't make eye-contact with her and- I just made eye contact with her. "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," I let go of her arms as fast as I can. Alright, I just need to think of what to say fast, I need to make situation a lot less awkward. "Oh gee! That was sure close, huh!? Gosh, I'm so glad I managed to save you a second time! Haha! Not like I was the one in trouble there! Boy, is it getting hot in here? Oh, it must be from all the heat, right, what a silly thing for me to say ahhahahahahahah okay I gotta go... do.... something.... the thing. Ghost things. You do your... uh... feijiang... things... with your big, incredible, arms and... wellokayigottagonowbye."

Wow, Pepper, good going. A+ effort. Maybe I should just say my power is "escalating awkward situations" from now on.

Focus, Pepper! Forget about Feijiang and her strong arms, the situation still isn't over, I need to get my bearings straight and look at what's happening now.

Okay, Vitreloy got the people out, thank god, at least that's one less thing to worry about. Tunneler didn't listen to my plan, but I can't really be mad at him, not many of them are, and I guess his plan was better than mine. Clatterclaw is... wait, why is she slumped like that? Is she hurt? Is... is that blood coming the sprite?

Oh my god. Clatterclaw, what did you do?

The sprite is... he's bleeding, he looks like he's dying. When I told them to restrain him, I didn't mean like this. There has to be a way to save him, it can't end like this, it just can't. We're supposed to save lives, not take them.

Oh no, is that Jessica? She's...she's hurt. I- why? Why did I just let her go off on her own? I was so focused on my team I didn't think... I should've stuck with her. I told her we were heroes, and we were supposed to protect people, but I didn't, and now she's in even more danger than before, because of me.

And Spark, poor Spark, she's getting worse. If this goes on any longer then it won't end well for any of us. Maybe I can try and get through to her?

Things are bad, they're really bad, but I can't give up, not now. My mom... if my mom was here, she wouldn't either. As long as there's a bit of hope left, she'd keep fighting, and I need to do the same.

"Clatter- Rachel!" I yelled out her name. I hope it's enough to get her attention, "I don't know what happened, but, look, we can still fix this! We can save him! Just try and stabilize him if you could. I'll help anyway I can! If you don't think you can do it, I won't blame you. You don't even have to listen to me, but just... try if you can, please."

Okay, now to handle Spark. I have to try and reach out to her, I have to get her to stop. "Spark! Please, I know you can still hear me! This... this isn't you. You're not a monster, none of us are, you're just in a lot of pain. I know I can never understand what you're going through, but I know you're my friend, and I know you're better than this! I know you can fight this, so please, stop hurting yourself!"

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Spark so she'd stop making everything explode
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 10+4 = 14

Spark can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels if she opens up to me. Also, I'm going to add another team to the pool.

Also, if anyone chooses to help the sprite, I'll use Won't Let You Down to give them a +2 to the roll after spending 2 team.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 1, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Everything is going wrong.

We were supposed to help, but we almost didn't. I'm trying, I'm trying so hard to get a handle of this situation, but everything I've done hasn't helped a bit. I'm supposed to be their leader, but nobody's listening to me, and now my team, the one I'm responsible for, are fighting each other, and I'm... I'm... I'm...

I am SO sick of this.

Marking Angry

I'm sick of moping around, I'm sick of feeling sorry for myself, and I'm sick and tired of doing nothing while my team falls apart.

Stay back? Stay BACK!? What do you think I am? Some sort of delicate flower that'll fall under the slightest breeze? Is that it? Is that what you think I am? Do you really expect me to stay back and watch as you all KILL yourselves? Is that it!?

I grit my teeth, and stand straight up, and march ahead to the crater where they're still fighting. The fire doesn't matter, it can't hurt me. Nothing can hurt me more than I've been hurt already.

Feijiang is yelling something at me. I ignore it. I walk straight up to Spark, who's giving her best villain laugh, and that just makes me even more angry. I raise up my hand, and give Spark a hard slap at the back of her head.

"Will you just STOP already!" I yell while looking at her, face to face, "What is wrong you!? What's wrong with ALL of you!? Is this how you all act? Like a bunch of CHILDREN!? I'm sorry, I thought we were all supposed to be heroes, or am I wrong about that?" I feel my face getting redder and redder, "Do any of you understand the concept of a team? A team is supposed to HELP each other, not break each other apart, or did you forget that? Do any of you remember the reason we're together? It's to make a difference! It's to show the world we're more than what we are, but we can't do that if you can't trust us to be there for you!" I stomp my foot down, and yell at the top of my lungs, "So JUST STOP!"

Using my influence on Spark to give her afraid, making it 5 conditions.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure, Guilty

Oh no. Of all the people, of all the times, why does it have to be her? Why does it have to be Alexandra? Why did she have to do that Spark? She wasn't going to fight anymore! That was too much! I'm going to give her a piece of my mind!

"Why don't you just go home and stop pretending to be your mother? You'll never be half the hero she was."

...Huh? Stop... pretending?

No, no you're wrong. I'm not pretending, I'm not, I... I'm a hero! I have my own name and everything! Why is everybody looking at me like that? They can't all be thinking the same thing she is. Stop, please. I tried, didn't I? I tried to be a hero, I really really tried, and I... I...

...Oh God, she's right.

quote:

<HugzillaAway> Rejecting Mean Girl's influence
<HugzillaAway> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> HugzillaAway, 3 = 3
<HugzillaAway> MAN

Shifting labels and marking insecure & guilty since my mundane is already at +3.

I'm a pretender. Just a kid, trying to play hero. I can't be my mom. My mom was special, and I'm... not. I was stupid to think I'd ever be like her. I just wanted to help people, but I couldn't. I couldn't even help my team, and now everybody is giving us these looks, like we're all a mistake. Nobody will ever trust us, and it's all because I was such a bad leader.

I turn to Feijiang. God, I can hardly look at her. I'm trying my hardest to not cry. "Feijiang," don't cry, please don't cry, "Can you... can you... please handle Clatterclaw?"

I move towards Spark, trying not to make eye contact with Alexandra. I can't even speak to her. What can I even say? Oh gee, you're totally right! I'm a failure! I'm not going to give her the satisfaction of that, at least.

Okay, Spark is still alive, good. I throw her arm over my shoulder and pick her up. Ugh, she's heavy. Maybe I should've asked Feijiang to carry both of them, but it's too late for that now.

"Let's... let's get the others and leave," I start moving, carrying Spark's unconscious body with me.

I'm a hero now after all! Hahaha. I can't believe I actually thought that. I'm not a hero, I'm a joke.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 2, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure, Guilty

Feijiang is- she's sticking up for me? Or she's trying to, at least. Why? I don't understand. Aren't you the one who thought I was soft? Aren't you the one who disapproved of me being the leader? You ignored my orders, tried to show me up as much as you can, and now you're trying to defend me?

Is there something you see in me that I don't?

"Feijiang!" I grab hold of her arm before she could go for another push, "That's enough! It's okay, you don't have to do this. I know you're frustrated, I am too, but it's not worth it. I'll be fine, okay? I'm used to having people tell me how silly my dream is, but that never stopped me before, and that won't stop me now., besides," I give her a sad smile a I held onto her hands, "As long as you and the others are still willing to stay, I know we can bounce back from this. It'll be hard, but nothing good ever comes easy, right?"

I wasn't sure if I really meant all that, but I just didn't want to see her get in anymore trouble because of me.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Going to comfort Feijiang
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 8+2 = 10

If Feijiang chooses to open up, she can choose to mark potential, clear a condition, or shift labels. I'll choose to clear insecure if she does.

"As for you," I look at Alexandra, fighting all my urges to look away. I'm sure she's probably enjoying the expression I'm making right now, but I won't let her enjoy it for too long, "You're right. I'm not my mother. Nobody can be her. My mother was a real hero," I found myself walking closer to her. My whole body is trembling. It's telling me to stop, to run, that all I'm going to do is make things worse, but I continue on, "She sacrificed her life so we could all live, that's how much of a hero she was. Do you think you could even come close to doing something like? No, I don't think you would. All you care about is fame, you don't care about the people at all, you just think they're all beneath you."

I couldn't hold back anymore, tears started flowing down, but I kept going, "I know we messed up. I know how terrible the situation got, and you think I don't blame myself for this? I wanted to run and give up so many times, but I never did, and you know why? Because at least I try to be a hero. What have you done? Flaunt your powers in public so everybody could know how amazing you are?"

I stare at her, with a rage that I never felt burning in my eyes, "And don't you DARE bring up my mother like that ever again. You don't even understand the sacrifice she made to save "normies" like me."

I look away from Alexandra, and turn to the other heroes in the room. They probably think we're all a bunch of screw-ups, but I can't let them blame the team for my mistakes, "I'm the one who's at fault! Me! I was supposed to be their leader, but I failed them. My failure is what lead to the disaster around you, so please, don't blame them. None of this is their fault. If you're going to blame someone, then blame me." I try to stand strong, but I can't stop my body from shaking. I'm scared, confused, and angry at myself, but I can't let my team suffer because of me, "I'll take whatever punishment you think we deserve, alone. I'll take all of it, just please, don't make my team suffer anymore for the mistakes I've made."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

I could hear Ms. Gammon inhale deeply into her cigarette before she broke the news. It's never a good sign when she does that. She tries to break it to me gently, but I asked her to please just be honest with me.

"The news? Yea, it ain't good, sorry kiddo."

I knew it wouldn't be good. Why would it be? No matter how you cover it up, we messed up. But hearing about it is different from thinking about it. It hurts. They're calling us screw-ups, a waste of the program, "The Stoppable Mediocre Valkyries." Even Ms. Gammon is getting a lot of flack for trying to report about the whole incident evenhandedly. People are calling it "biased reporting" because I used to work for her.

They're not wrong. She knew the risks, but it didn't stop her.

"Hey, kid? Don't push yourself, alright? These things just happen. I should tell you about the time me an' your mom fought that big fire breathing space worm sometime! Hah! We pissed off so many people that day!"

I know she's just trying to make me feel better, but it's just hard to laugh right now, and she can tell. I can hear her take another deep inhale into her cigarette. I really wish she'd stop, doesn't she know unhealthy and gross that habit of hers is?

"Kid, I know ya probably feel alone right now. Like it's you versus the world, but you ain't, alright? Ya got me an' the rest of my lovely assistants. Charlotte, Johnny, Brick, Stacy, an' all the rest. We're all rootin' for ya and your team. Same for the people in town, your dad especially. They still think you're a hero here, kid, and whatever happened hasn't changed that. I know ya can do this, kiddo. Make us proud."

They still think I'm a hero? Even after everything that's happened? I thought for sure the public lost faith in us, but I guess not all of them have. The town, Ms. Gammon, the gang, my dad. They all still believe in me, and my team.

I need to be strong, for them, and the others. They've all been through so much, and I can't abandon them. Besides, it's not like I'm alone. I know Feijiang will help me find a way to get them back up.

...God, I can't believe I'm actually saying that. Feijiang. Of all the people in the team, I never thought it'd be Fei-goshdarn-jiang who'd stick with me. I was so nervous around her at first. She was hot-headed, stubborn, and always rushed head first into danger, but now I'm glad I have her by my side. I know, as long as she's by my side, we can both find a way to fix what happened.

Now, where did I put those cookies dad made?

--

"I'm here! I'm here! Sorry I'm late!"

Seriously, Pepper, how did you manage to misplace a box of cookies? Get it together, girl! It's a good thing walls and doors mean nothing when you can walk past them! Maybe I should think about being a delivery girl if none of this works out? "Pepper Peckerbee: Unstoppable Wonder Delivery Girl!" Wow, that sounds kind of cool, I wonder i- FOCUS PEPPER THEY'RE ABOUT TO START

I'll just, sit next to Feijiang, I guess? That sounds like a good idea! Wait, what about Will? I've been kinda ignoring him lately, and I feel kinda bad. Agh, no time to think! Just plop your butt down before you make this even more awkward.

"Hi! Feijiang! Don't mind me, I'm just going to- wah!" I forgot to unphase myself. Great, and now there are cookies all over the floor. Way to go, Pepper, way to go.

Ghost grows closer to the team, specifically Feijiang. Feijiang can shift my labels.

Marking Potential and clearing angry.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 3, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions:

Clearing Guilty, and shifting Feijiang's labels so her mundane is up, and freak down.

How could you mess this up, Pepper? All you had to do was bring the cookies, but you had to go and mess that up, too, didn't you? I guess the least I can do now is clean up this mess before Gareth arrives.

I see someone hand me one of the dropped cookies, "Oh! Thank yo-"

Is that? No, it couldn't be. I'm just hallucinating, right? That can't...

....oh

....oh my GOD

itsheritsheritsactuallyheromgomgomgicantbelieveshesactuallyhereandshewinkedatmeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhsheactuallywinkedatmeandshessmiling shessocoolicantbelieveknightsaberishereomgshessoamazingandbeautifulandstrongandherswordiscoolshessocoolahhhhhh hhhhbreathbreathyougottastaycoolyoucantstaycoolmaybeishouldtakeapictureohmygodthatwouldbethebest

"I quit.

...Huh?

All this was my fault if I hadn't have lost control the way I did none of this would have happened.

Spark, no, you can't... you're not serious.

I don't want to hurt anyone. And that's what I do. I lose control and I hurt people.

Spark, I... I...

...I can't believe you.

I walk up to Spark, lifting my hand up, and slapping her, as hard as I can. Ow. I think I just hurt myself with that.

The silence is almost deafening, and before she could say anything else or do anything, I hug her. I hug her as tight as I can.

"Stop that. STOP that. Stop hurting yourself. You are not a monster! You're a part of this team, and you belong here, just as much as anybody else. I know... I know things got bad, and lots of people got hurt, but... but running away won't solve that. It'll be hard, but you don't have to be alone, okay? We're all here for each other. That's what a team is all about, right? We stick together, through thick and thin. I promise, things will get better, for all of us. We can get through this, and we'll be better. So, please, Barbara, just... stop acting like you're alone."

quote:

<HugzillaAway> Comforting Spark
<HugzillaAway> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> HugzillaAway, 8+4 = 12

Oh buh. I made a mistake. I don't have influence on Spark anymore, so that's actually a +3. Still an 11!

If Spark opens up to me, she can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels, and I can add a Team to the pool

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Don't worry," I whisper back, "I'll find a way to help you." I squeeze her a little tighter.

Getting back my influence on Spark, and marking the drive " help a teammate when they most need you," and marking potential, which means I advance now! I'm choosing Suck it, Domitian for my advancement.

Will, I'm so glad you're here, and I'm even happier that you've decided to say something. You know how she feels, don't you? Better than I ever could. I really wish you'd cut the whole "blah I'm a monster!" thing already, but you look... a little different? Much more confident and sure of yourself. I give him a smile, and a little silent thank you.

Things are finally looking up. We're finally coming together, as a team, as friends, and I know we ca-

I was shaken out of my thoughts by the sound of someone slamming a table. Oh no, I forgot about Rachel. I was so wrapped up with Spark I forgot she was suffering too, and all I did was made it worse. Now's she angry, really angry, and before I could say anything to them, they both already left. Stupid, Pepper, that was stupid.

I let out a long sigh. If it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it?

"Barbara," I run my hand through my hair as I try to think of how to say this, "If you don't want to go, I won't make you, but I think you should. It's better to get it over with now so it won't be worse later. Just promise me one thing: don't overdo it, alright? Clatterclaw Miss Wraith, they might get a little... rough, but try to resist the urge to go all out, okay?" I put my hand on her shoulder, and give her a reassuring grin, "I know you can do it."

I turn to Will, "Vitreloy, can I speak to you for a moment?" I pull him aside, where Spark can't hear us, "Will, thanks, I don't know if I could've done it without you. Would it be okay if I asked you to stick with her for a bit longer? I think she might need it. And Will?" I looked at him with a stern face, and waggled my finger at him, "Cut it out with the monster stuff, will ya? Don't you realize what you've done? Out of all of us, you were the most heroic one. You saved Jessica and all those people when none of us could. No "monster" could do that."

I walk up to Spade next. Poor little guy, he tried so hard, and I know that feeling really well. I sit down next to him. "Hey, Spade. You know Rach- Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith more than I do. If it's no trouble, would you mind looking out for them?"

Ugh, I'm exhausted. I found myself walking up next to Feijiang without really thinking about it. All I wanted to do was just lean over an- wait, why am I thinking that? Huh.

"Boy," I say after a few awkward seconds pass, "This sure has been a day, huh Fei? Hehe." That sure doesn't sound forced.

Shifting Feijiang's labels for a second time so Savior is up and Danger is down.

Wait, am I forgetting something? No, I'm pretty sure that's it. Except that Gareth is still standing there, with his bodyguard, and Ms. Caldwell.

OH CRAP THEY'RE STILL HERE

Does this mean they were watching the whole thing? Oh noooooooo. Just bury me, right now. Find me some faraway crypt and save me from all this embarrassment.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 4, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Gareth's words caught me by surprise.

You probably would not have been allowed to quit.

Not allowed to quit? What does that mean? What would you have done if Spark didn't change her mind? Just tell her "Nah, sorry, you're stuck here," and let that be that, or would you have taken a more forceful approach?

I'm just overthinking this, I got to be. Gareth has been nothing but kind and patient with us after our mess, but still, there's something about that response that just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I'll ask Will, he knows his brother well enough. He'll probably tell me I'm silly and that's just the way Gareth talks. Yea, that's probably it.

"Hey there kiddo."

Huh?

Oh, it's Ms. Caldwell, and she's... smiling... at... me....

She's smiling at me!? Oh my god! I can't believe it! She's actually talking to me! Ahhhh she's even cooler up close! And her smile, I've never seen a smile so bright before! Maybe this is my chance to get her autograph? Or a picture? No wait, I can do both! I'll get a picture taken of us, and have her autograph it, and I'll treasure it for the rest of my life! Oh God Pepper breath don't pass out it's not like the idol you've dreamed of meeting for years IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

...Then her words sink into me, and I could feel all my excitement be washed away.

I did get flustered, didn't I? I felt so overwhelmed and lost during that whole moment, and I was just giving orders without thinking them through, or was I overthinking them? It's hard to tell now. That's when I realized the full weight of my responsibilities. It's not enough that I have to make up for my lack of skill, but I also have to lead an entire group of people who are more special than I am. I need to make decisions, be confident, never show fear or hesitation, care for them, inspire them, all while working extra hard out in the field so I don't fall behind.

I felt a wave of exhaustion hit me as my body slumps over. It was a lot to take in, and I think Ms. Caldwell noticed it. She gave me another smile, and - I don't know how to describe it, actually. There was something about her it and the way she composed herself that put me a little more at ease, like she knows exactly what I'm dealing with. It made me feel a little more confident about myself, like I can really do this. It'll be hard, but a heroes work is never easy, is it?

"These cookies are amazing!"

"O-Oh! Thanks! My dad made those. I can have him make more later if you want!"

--

I sat in the conference room for a few moments, thinking about what Ms. Caldwell said, about everything that happened, and about mom. I was so lost in thought I never noticed that everybody has left the conference room by now. Well, mostly everybody. Feijiang is still here. I wonder why? Usually she'd be the first to run out the door as soon as she hears the words "challenge" and "duel."

Actually, there's a question I've been meaning to ask her ever since we got back, and since she's still here and nobody else is around, this might be the perfect chance to ask her. I get up from my seat and make my way to her- Huh. Why do I feel nervous all of a sudden?

As I got closer, my steps started slowing down, by breathing got a little heavier, and I felt my chest tighten up a little. Come on, Pepper, you and her are cool now. It's not like she resents you anymore for being leader, this doesn't have to be so hard.

"Uh, F-Fei?" I stammered out. My head swiveled away almost instinctively when she looked at me, "Yea, I-I guess it's just y-you and me now, huh? Nobody el-else around except for us. Hehe." The more she looks at me, the more nervous I become, "I... hey, so, uh, yea, I was- I was w-ondering... I was wondering, hehe," Why did I laugh there? "You k-k-know, like, uh, if um," I wasn't even trying to look at her anymore. My vision is planted firmly on the floor and all I can see now are my feet shuffling nervously. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Why can't I ask her? I bit my lower lip and attempted to continue on, "I wa-was wondering if you would... if you would... would..."

Agh! Stop, Pepper, this is pathetic! You're talking to Feijiang, you should say it with more confidence! No hesitation! I clench my fists, puff up my cheeks, take a stance, look her dead in the eye, and yell out, as loud as I possibly can, "I was wondering if you would train me!" The words echoed into the empty room, "I don't want to hold anybody back anymore. I feel like I've just been a burden, and I'm sick of it! I want to be strong, like you! Please, teach me how to fight!"

I stood there, still breathing heavily, fists still clenched, but my body stopped shaking. My body was filled with a determination I never knew I had before. I don't want to be weak anymore. I don't want anymore people to be hurt. I don't want my friends to hurt anymore. I will be strong, and be the leader they deserve.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 5, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Yes! Yes I am!"

For that one brief moment, all my worries, doubts, and fears were gone. Feijiang's excitement was almost infectious, and I could feel a fire burning inside of me. I threw myself at Feijiang, wrapping my arms around her neck, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

A few seconds pass before I realized what I was doing, and how close I was to her. The smile on my face slowly starts to fade and I could feel my cheeks getting a little warmer. "Uhhh."

I let go as fast as I could, and put myself a fair distance away from her. I turn my head to look away from her, hoping she doesn't notice how red my face has gotten, "Sorry, I don't know what came over me." I let out a small nervous giggle. Why do I have to make everything so awkward, like, all the gosh darn time?

I have to salvage this situation before it gets worse, "I'll... just get ready, yea? I'll go change into my costume and meet you there," my costume being a hand-knitted black shirt with a cute ghost on it, a modified pair of leather gloves, shorts, sneakers, and a bandanna with eye holes cut out. It might not look like much, but it's what my dad made for me as a parting away gift, so it means the world to me.

"I'm going to take a shortcut," I say before I go through one of the walls. I peak my head back into the conference room, and take one more glance at Feijiang. I give her a little wave, "I'll see you there." I moved my head back through the wall, and made my way to the danger room. I refuse to just be an observer anymore, I'll do whatever it takes to get us back together.

Plus, I owe Rachel a hug, too, and cookies. I hope she doesn't mind floor cookies.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Wow!" I couldn't help but let out a gasp of excitement. I've been through a lot of rooms here in our base, but this is the first time I've ever been in the observation room. There are so many things! Mechanical things! I have no idea what any of them do, but they look so cool! There's this big super computer thing, I think, with a bunch of buttons and levers, and I just want to press all of them just to see what would happen!

No! I can't! I'm not some kind of air-headed schoolgirl, I'm Pepper Pickerbee, Ghost! Daughter of The Guiding Bell! I'm a hero, and I need to compose myself, like a real hero would!

...That button is really large though...

I see Gareth press a bunch of buttons, and I watched in awe as the room below us changed. I've read of rooms like this, places that can shift their very structure to emulate certain environments, but seeing it actually happen, seeing it actually change, in front of my own eyes, it's almost unbelievable. Unbelievably COOL!

A thought crept up in my mind, and a small, mischievous grin appears on my face. Gareth would probably not approve of what I was planning to do, but heck to that! I run to the window, and phase my head right through. Wow! It looks like my head is floating in thin air, like a real ghost!

"Hey guys!" I yell to the people below. I wave at all of them, "Good luck! Don't hurt yourselves too bad, okay?"

I phase back in, and jump to the beanbag nearest to Ms. Caldwell.

"So, who do you think is going to win?"

"Um," I put a finger to my chin, and take a moment to think, "I guess... we do? Like, if they get out all their pent up emotions, it'll make our team stronger, maybe? So we all... win?"

Wow, great going, Pepper. Just give the lamest possible answer to the hero you look up to the most.

"We never had a chance to talk about how you feel about last mission. If there was a time for discussion, now would be a good time to do so."

A... discussion? "Oh, yea, I guess we should talk about that, shouldn't we?" I was hoping to avoid this. The last thing I wanted to right now was to talk about what happened, but I guess we have to. I need to be careful about my words, especially around Gareth, the last thing I need is to make us sound like bigger screw-ups.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Piercing Gareth's mask
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+3 = 12

• what are you really planning?
• what do you want me to do?
• what do you intend to do?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 8, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ugh, of course he'd ask that. I could be watching the cool sparring match between my friends, but no, I had to be the one to answer the hard questions, aren't I? These are just the perks of being a leader, I guess. Gosh, couldn't he of started with an easier topic, like, "Boy, it's good thing nobody died, huh?" How do I even answer that?

"Hey, hey, that's a bit of a harsh question to ask the children!"

"Children?" Really? I'm 17! That makes me almost an adult, and I can fight my own battles, thank you very much!

"It's- it's fine," I say to Siegfried, while trying to hide how tired I look, "If I can't answer a simple question like that, then what hope do I have of being a hero, right?"

"Simple" question, yea right. I need to think carefully about this, the last thing I want to do is throw one of them under the bus. Let's see, the easiest one to blame would be Spark, but is it really her fault? What about Rachel? No, Rachel didn't do anything wrong, she did go berserk but considering what happened, I don't blame her. Feijiang? Hah, no, she didn't listen to any of my orders, but her actions helped more than they hindered. Spade didn't listen much either, but him ignoring me led to us saving more lives when he dug that hole with Spark. Will? No, Will was the most heroic one of us all that whole time. The only one I can think of is..

...Oh.

"The one to blame is," I hesitate a little before I could answer, "Is me. I know, as a team, we should all share the blame together, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I was the one at fault. I'm their leader, and I realized that I should've been more aware of their powers, and their strength and weaknesses, but I didn't, and it was that carelessness that caused things to spiral out of control." I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, and continued, "I can blame Spark, but I won't. Her power is too great, and it can consume her when she uses too much of it, and I should've known that before the mission. If I was more aware about what would happen, I would have asked her to try and limit her power, and only unleash it as a last resort."

I paused as I remembered Ms. Caldwell's words, "Stand behind your decisions and if necessary, be there on the front lines."

"Also, I panicked. I made decisions and orders I wasn't even sure were right. The team needed someone to guide them, to bring them together, and I couldn't do that. Most of them didn't even follow my orders, and I don't blame them. I was inexperienced, and it shows. I thought I was prepared, but I wasn't. When we arrived, I was too cautious, I was asking my team to wait instead of acting while people were in danger," I pause to glance at Feijiang for a moment, "I should have taken the initiative instead of fumbling orders."

"It might sound like I'm trying to shift the blame from them onto me, but I'm not. Everybody has done the best they can do, and the only reason it got this bad is because of my inexperience. Remember Jessica? I promised Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith I would take care of her, but I didn't. I was careless, and it was my carelessness that caused her to get hurt, and now a member of my team is blaming themselves for my mistake. A leader is supposed to be confident, and share that confidence to others, they should stay calm under pressure, no matter how bad things look. A leader is supposed to bring the group together, not apart, so yes, to answer your question," I lift my face up, and looked at Gareth, dead in the eyes, "It's me. I was the one that was most at fault."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 11, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Feijiang, no! I-"

No, no, no, no! I didn't mean for this to happen! I just didn't want anybody to take the blame, I didn't want anything to break us apart, but all I did was make it worse. What did I do wrong? I just wanted to help, but all I've done is hurt people by being useless. I've hurt Spark, I hurt Rachel, and I- I hurt Feijiang. I'm so stupid. Stupid stupid stupid stupid STUPID. I'm worthless! I'm-

...Spade?

He's- he's yelling. I've never seen him so... angry before.

His words sink deep into me. I try to tell myself that he's wrong, it's my fault, it's not Sparks, it can't be. I'm the leader, and it's my responsibility to take the team's burden! I should be blamed! So why, why... don't I believe it? Why is it, no matter how many times I tell myself that, I feel like I'm forcing myself to believe it's true?

I don't want to admit it. I don't! It's wrong! Barbara's my team mate- my friend! She suffered too much already! She's... she's...

I stay silent for a few seconds as I feel my throat tightening up. I don't want to speak, I don't want to say anything, but I have to. "He's... he's right," I say, my voice heavy. "It is Spark's fault, and all we're doing is trying to take the blame away from her. It's-it's her responsibility." My throat feels like it's on fire, like I've said something I should never have admitted. "But that doesn't mean we should abandon her. Spark is still our team mate, and we should support her, like we support each other, to stop anything like this from happening again."

I get up from my beanbag, and walk over to Spade. I crouch down to meet him at eye level, and give him a smile, or at least, my best attempt at one, "Spade," I try to hold back my tears, "Thank you, and I'm sorry, for everything today. You're really a shining example of your people, you know that?"

I straighten back up, and turn to face Feijiang. Oh, Feijiang. How long have you been like this? I can't just leave her like this. I walk up behind her, her body still facing the window. "Fei," I say to her, in a soft voice, ""It's okay. You're not to blame, either. I don't know what happened during your past, but none of that really matters. We just had a rocky start, you know? It's fine," I wrap my arms around her waist, and lean my body on her back, "It's fine. I know we can learn from this, and we'll be better. All of us. Whatever happened, it's over now. It's over."

Hm, when did I start crying?

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Feijiang
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+4 = 13

Feijiang can shift labels or mark potential if she opens up to me. If she does, I'll choose to add a team to the pool.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"You named yourself after the ghost pepper?!"

"WHAT!? No! I just- I didn't- I mean- NO!!" I start waving my arms around frantically, as if I'm trying really hard to reject what Fei said. Are you telling me my name is a pun and I never even realized it? Is that why Ms. Gammon was laughing so much when I told her my hero name? Actually that should've probably tipped me off. Wow, was I always this oblivious? Oh, good, I forgot about Ms. Caldwell and Gareth again, and they just watched me have a breakdown. Again. Can I go one day, just one day, without embarrassing myself? I'm never going to get a picture taken with Ms. Caldwell at this rate.

"Now then, as leader Ghost, you're going to take charge of your team. You guys have spent a lot of time talking, but now is time to put your money where your mouth is. I have high expectations, especially after the little pow wow the three of you had."

Wait, she has... she has high expectations of me? I- oh wow. Oh wow wow wow. I feel- I feel incredibly nervous. "I'll- I'll make sure I won't disappoint you!" I probably yelled that out louder than I should have.

Okay, calm down. It's just your hero telling you that she has high expectations. No biggie. It's not like I want to impress her, and think I'm super great or anything, nope. Oh for god's sake Pepper, stop it, you're starting to sound like an nervous schoolgirl around her crush. Did I just call Ms. Caldwell my crush? Just because I fantasize about her a lot does not make her my crush da- PEPPER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU JUST FOCUS ALREADY!

Right. Breath in, think, and focus. I need to remember I'm not alone, I got Fei and Spade with me. I motion for both of them to come a little closer. "Alright, guys. I have my own ideas on what to do, but I want to hear yours first. I figure it'd be better to bounce some ideas around and try to build up a strategy from there. Also, I need to know what you both think you're the best at, and what you think you're the weakest at. I'll start; I'm good at avoiding dangers thanks to my powers, and I have some experience with stealth, believe it or not. As for my weakness, well," I pause to sigh, "You guys already know what that is."

"And Spade," I crouch down to look him at eye level. I never realized how worried he looked until now, "Spade, look, I know it's going to be hard for you, you and Rachel are good friends, and you're probably worried the most about her, but don't worry, because I have a plan!" I look around, and I give him a mischievous grin. I lean in closer to whisper into Spade's ear, "When this is all over, you and I are going to attack Rachel with a surprise hug. She'll never see it coming, and with our combined power, there's no way she'll be able to resist. I trust you have no problem with that?"

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Spade
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 11+4 = 15

Spade can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift labels if he opens up, and I'll mark a team if he does.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Oh.

Well.

That's certainly not the reaction I expected. Did I say something wrong? Aw jeez, I really hope that wasn't the wrong thing to say. Agh, why do I have to go and open my stupid mouth like that all the time?

"R-right," I was still a little taken aback by Spade's reaction, but I can't let that bother me, much. I'll just ask him later. Maybe. I stand back up, and try to regain my composure, "I'm terrible at a straight fight. I'm not exactly the most physically fit person, so if I'm ever forced into a one-on-one fight, I'm probably going to lose. I can distract one of them, take their attention away from you guys, but I'm going to have to depend on you two when it comes to, well, actually fighting."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Feijiang's words hit me like a truck. "W-well, yea, I did, but- I," I try to think of a retort, but I can't. I did say I wanted to learn how to fight, but can I? Am I really ready for this? I- I'm just not sure. I don't even know how to throw a punch! What can I do against someone who can control fire, an actual magic ghost, a kung-fu zombie, and a guy who can control metal? I'm- I'm just- I-

Did you, or did you not say that you wanted to stop feeling like a burden?! And did you, or did you not say you didn't want to hold anyone back?!

...I did say that, didn't I?

I try to think of what to say, but I can't. I want to say how bad of an idea this is, that I'm not ready for it yet, but... when will I be ready? My mind flashes back to the mall, to me. I remember all the times I spent cowering in a corner, and all the hesitation and fear. I remember how helpless I felt as my whole team shattered in front of me, and I remember... Alexandra.

quote:

"Well done normie. Don't you realise how much of a liability you are to the group? Why don't you just go home and stop pretending to be your mother? You'll never be half the hero she was."

I stand silent for a moment, as her words echo in my mind. She always called me weak, a pathetic little girl, just playing pretend to make herself feel better, and I realized, right there, if I give up now, if I don't show my worth in a fight, I'll just be proving her right.

I bite my lower lip as I feel my whole body starts shaking, "You're right. I'm done being weak, I'm done being scared, and, "I lift my head up high, and turn to face Feijiang, fire burning in my eyes, "I'm DONE being a burden!"

The shaking stopped, and whatever fear or doubt I had in me is gone now, and all that's left is the burning determination that Feijiang has lit in me, "If I don't fight now, then when? Am I just going to make the same excuse, over and over again? Heck no! You're right, Fei, this is my time to learn, and I will fight! I won't hide anymore! I am Ghost, and I'm a goddamn HERO!!" For once, I actually feel myself actually believing those words.

"And more importantly," I look at both of them, with an actual, genuine smile on my face this time, "I know I'm not alone. Even if we mess up today, it doesn't matter! We'll just learn from it, and we'll get better! Now come on!" I grab onto Feijiang and Spade, and make them translucent, and I nod towards the window, hoping they both get my plan, "We've kept them waiting long enough. Let's go and kick some butt!"

Welp, time to put my money where my mouth is! Forget the plan! We going right in, so I'm adding a team to the pool!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"W-What? No! T-that's not what I'm saying at all!" Oh great, I'm stammering again. Of all the people to catch me constantly offguard, I never expected it to be Spade, "Look, this is different, okay? I'm not asking us to go in, all guns blazing and just punch everything in sight," Even though I'm sure Feijiang would really enjoy that, "The mall was- it was sudden. What happened there- None of us would have expected for any of that to happen, and I think that's the problem. We could spend all the time we have, planning and coming up with some kind of strategy, but the moment something unexpected happens, the plan'll just fall apart. It's important that we learn to think on our feet, and come up with solutions on the fly, because I don't think any of the nastier guys out there will wait for us to think it out."

I try to think of how to word my next set of thoughts before I continue, "Think of it like this; Each of us will pick a dance partner. If you think you can't handle your current partner, you switch out with somebody else, and continue with a new one. It's important to learn the flow of your partner, so you'll be able to predict their next moves. Oh, and I don't mean, like, a literal dance partner, I mean- Oh, you know what I mean," or at least, I hope they do.

Ms. Caldwell told me I needed to stick with my decisions, and that's what I'm going to do. I just hope it's the right decision to make.

Rejecting Spade's provoke, so I'm marking Insecure

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Oh for the love of- both of you, stop!" I stand between them, and hold out my arms to push them away from each other, "Will you both just listen to yourselves? Are we seriously going to break the team up again after everything that happened? If you have any pent-up aggression, I suggest you save for the sparring match!"

I turn my head to look at Feijiang, and give her a stern look. Or try to, anyways. Whatever look I was trying to put on was quickly replaced with one of... disappointment, I guess? A look that probably says I expected better from you without saying anything, and I just look away from her, not even making eye contact anymore.

"If you need me, I'll be waiting in the danger room," That- that probably sounded a lot sadder than I intended it to. I walk past them, and phase through the nearest wall.

Why, why can't everything just work out for once? Is that too much to ask?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I thought I'd be more excited by all this. Being together with everyone, watching the room change, finally getting a chance to impress my idol- but I'm not. I'm not sure what I feel now. I'm not angry, or sad (for once), I don't feel frustrated, or afraid. I don't feel much of anything right now, actually.

I don't want to do this, but I know I have to. It's like, what do they call it, a sense of duty? Yea, it's just a sparring match, but if I quit, what does that say about me? I have to learn, and this is the only way how, no matter how much I just want to run back to my room and just pretend this whole day never happened.

"Feijiang, Tunneler," I say to them, my voice practically emotionless, "We didn't have much time to plan, so here's what we'll do; Feijiang, focus on Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith, don't give them room to breath, Tunneler, you focus on Vitreloy, but don't engage him directly. Use the environment to your advantage. If either of you are in trouble, don't be afraid to switch. They're more prepared than us, so we need to use the element of surprise to our advantage."

"As for me. I'll handle Spark. I can deal with her flames. I can't engage her directly, but I can keep her busy, so you two can focus on your targets, and remember, we're a team, so act like one."

That... probably came off a lot colder than it should have. I realized I didn't even turn to look at them when I was talking. Too late for that now, I guess.

I take a step forward, getting myself a little closer to the other team. They look so much more prepared and well put together than we are. I'm happy for them, at least. "Good luck, guys. May the best team win and all that, yea?" I try to smile at them, but it's really obvious that it's a forced one. I've always been terrible at hiding my own emotions. Dad said I got that from mom.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 18, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I stand in front of the other team, and I start to feel a little anxious. I give a sidedye glance to Feijiang, and tilt my head at the other team, letting her know to charge in now, before they have a chance to prepare.

"Hey, guys? I'm really sorry about this," I slowly start to phase my body to avoid what happens next, "I promise I'll get you all pizza and ice cream by the end of this."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I feel terrible.

I know this is wrong, starting a sparring match with a surprise attack, but what other choice did I have? They had the advantage on us. If we fought, as we were, we'd lose. They're better prepared, and they have the more powerful fighters. We had no chance.

Or maybe I'm just telling myself that just to make myself feel better.

It's too late for regrets now. I can't take back things I already started. All I can do is continue moving forward.

"Hey!" I yell directly at Spark, "Spark, haven't you noticed? We're starting the match, now! You better get ready, because here I come!" I charge forward, and reel my arm back, pretending like I'm going for a direct attack. I need to use the confusion to my advantage, don't give her time to think, get her to make a mistake that'll leave her vulnerable. I just need to prepare myself to phase through whatever she throws at me, and just hope I can time it right.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Provoking Spark
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+1 = 10

Provoking Spark into making an attack that will leave her vulnerable. If she doesn't, she needs to mark a condition. If she does, her team gets to add a Team to their pool.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

What have I done?

I was expecting them to be a little upset, but not like this. Will is- Will is angry. I've never seen him so angry before, and he- he just tried to kill Fei. Oh no! Fei! She trusted me, she trusted me enough to follow through with my stupid plan, and all it did was get her hurt! Everything is going wrong again, everybody is going to start arguing again, and I-I-I...

"This is not sparring. This is a mean spirited pub brawl. We are learning nothing here except inter-team strife."

Miss Wraith's words slapped me back to my senses, and I felt the cloud hanging over my head start to clear up. "...You're right," I say, my voice filled with guilt and regret, "I'm sorry. This is my fault. I was the one who told Feijiang to charge in like that, it was me," I turn to Will, "If you're going to be angry at somebody, be angry at me, not her. She was just following my plan, a plan I made when I was still really upset. I didn't think of the consequences, I was so focused on winning I forgot the whole point of this exercise. I don't ask any of you to forgive me, but, please, don't blame Feijiang. She's just as much a victim of my bad decisions as you all are."

"And Rachel? Look, about Jessica, what happened there was- it was my fault, kinda. She got hurt because I was careless and it's- it's just been eating away at me ever since. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about that, too." As I said that, I felt an idea pop in my head, "Ah! Hey! You know, speaking of Jessica, why don't you visit her at the hospital? I know it'll probably be hard for you, but you don't have to be alone. I'll come with you! Gosh, you should've seen her during the whole fight, she thought you were the most awesome hero in the world, and I don't think anything would ever change that! And besides," I give Rachel a reassuring smile, "I think she'd just be really happy to see you."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 3+4 = 7
Clatterclaw & Miss wraith can choose to gain potential, shift labels, or clear a condition if they choose to open up to me.

I turn to face Ressiant, who doesn't look all that happy about what happened, and I don't blame her. I raise my hand up, and say, "If it's okay with the rest of my team, I choose to forfeit the fight. There's no point in continuing if we're just going to be at each other's throats."

Okay, I should probably check up on Fei now. I walk up to Fei, and crouch down besides her. Poor Fei, you did this for me, didn't you? You didn't have to do anything, but you charged in without a second thought, even if it was against your nature. I don't deserve a friend like you. I offer her my hand, to pick her back up, and say, in a low voice, so only she would hear, "I'm sorry. Please don't hate me."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

If Fei started yelling at me, that would be fine. If she had scolded me, that would be fine. But this? Her quiet anger, and that look of disappointment on her face- it's almost too much for me. It feels like I crossed a boundry I shouldn't have, and I broke a bond that can't be fixed anymore.

My face goes pale as the feeling of utter regret starts to set in. There are so many things I want to say, I'm sorry, or please forgive me, but there are so many times I can say those words until they mean nothing. I try to speak, but nothing comes out. The only thing that comes out of my mouth are meak, pathetic whines.

I try to reach out to her, to hold onto her, to tell her how sorry I am, but I hold myself back. I grab onto my arm, and squeeze tight. I feel like I'm suffocating. I can't even look at her anymore, all I can do is stare at the rubble on the ground, and fail to hold back my own tears.

I hurt her. I hurt a dear friend of mine.

I hurt someone special to me.

"I..." I stutter out, "I... I was afraid. I thought... I thought... if we lost, you and Spade would argue again." I wrap my arms around myself to stop me from shaking, but I fail, "I didn't... I didn't want the team to break up again. You're all special to me, you're special to me. I... I was desperate, I wasn't thinking clearly, but that's no excuse, is it? I... I told you to do that... because I trusted you. Not... not as a fighter, but as a friend, a team mate."

I couldn't hold back anymore. The tears started flowing out, and I couldn't speak anymore without sobbing, "But all I did... was break that trust."

I lift my head up to hers, my face filled with tears and desperation, "Please! Tell me! Tell me what I can do to make this right! Please! I'll do anything! Anything! Just please... tell me.... how I can make you forgive me."

Asking Feijiang:
"What can I do to make you forgive me?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I want to say something, anything, but I can't. Fei's words keep stabbing me, like daggers to my heart. Do I care? Of course I cared! I care- so why? Why didn't I trust her enough to deal with it? It's not like a silly argument over a plan would've broken us apart. God, Pepper, do you even realize how terrible of a thing that is to say? "Yea, I trust you to be a weapon but I don't trust you to be a person." Did you even think about what you just said? Of course not, because all you're good for is running your stupid stupid mouth, and catastrophizing every little thing that happens.

I gained her trust, only to lose it, and it hurts. It hurts so much. I'm going to lose my friend because I can't stop saying stupid things.

I stare at the ground below me. I can't look at her anymore. I don't deserve to look at her. I don't deserve her.

She deserves someone better than me.

"...Maybe," I manage to squeak out those words after a long moment of silence, "...Maybe now is not the right time to talk about this..." Is there even a right time?

I don't say anything else. I turn, and walk away as fast as I can. I don't want to be here anymore. I just want to lock myself in my room, and be left alone. At least then, I won't be able to hurt anybody else.

I had something, something almost irreplaceable with her, and I lost it, and I don't know if I'll ever get it back, and I don't think I've ever hated myself more than I do now.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I feel like I'm in a haze, like all my thoughts are stuck in a muddled cloud. I can't think straight. I'm tired. I just want to go to my room, bury my head in my pillow, and forget about this entire day.

I almost didn't notice Miss Wraith appearing in front of me. When did she get he- Oh, wait, right, she's an actual ghost. Her words are- they're harsh. I've been getting a lot of harsh words today, haven't I? But it's not like she's wrong. I stay silent for a moment, before I finally say, "...Thank you. You're right. I should be there for my team right now, but," I turn my head away from her, "...I just don't know if I can right now. I just- I just need some time alone. That's it." I walk past her, not really waiting for a reply. I feel bad, but I just don't know if I'm in the right state to talk to anybody. I'm sure they can handle themselves, right? They don't need me. I'm not sure if they ever did.

--

How long have I been laying here and staring at my ceiling? A few minutes? An hour? I'm not even sure. I try to calm myself down, try to focus my thoughts, but Fei's words just keep replaying in my head.

"But you can't just go around doing whatever you want and then apologize and make it all better! It's more complicated than that!"

I do that a lot, don't I? I make a mistake, then I cry about it. Every single time. I never used to be like that. I used to be Pepper, the super enthusiastic hero wannabe who keeps running into danger without a second thought. Remember the time you (sorta) took down Metalhead? You made a lot of mistakes, sure, but you didn't cry about them. Remember how proud you felt? You couldn't stop bragging about it for days. What happened to you, Pepper?

...You know exactly what happened. You were put in charge of a team made of people who are more special than you, and the pressure got to you. You felt like you had to do more, be more, to make up for your lack of... everything. Maybe I should give up on being leader, and give it to someone more deserving, like Will, or Miss Wraith. Will has his problems, too, but he'd probably make a better leader than me, in the end.

Would that be fair, though? To give up, after everything that happened? Isn't that just me... running away, again? They all saw something in me when they voted for me as leader, something I'm still not seeing, even now. I'd just be betraying their trust in me, like I betrayed Fei's.

Fei... is she ever going to forgive me? Should I even ask for forgiveness? Is she- is she going to hate me? Agh! Why does it have to hurt so much thinking about her!?

...I think I know what my problem is. I'm weak. All I've been doing is panicking, and blaming myself for every single problem, when I shouldn't. That's not what a leader is supposed to do. Miss Wraith is right, I need to be more confident in my decisions, I need to stop running away, I need to stop blaming myself. I need to be stronger.

I need to be a dang leader.

The haze around me starts to clear up, and I'm finally able to think clearly. I know exactly what I must do. The only one who can make me stronger right now is me, and I think I might know just the right place to start. I make sure to leave a note on my door, just in case anybody needs me.

quote:

Hello!

Sorry, but I'm not in my room right now. If you need me, I'll be in the training room.

- Ghost (Pepper)

Sorry guys, you're going to have to be without me for a little while longer, but I promise, I promise I'll come back to you all as a stronger leader.

I promise I'll find a way to make this up to you, Fei.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Alright, well, here I am, in the training room," I say to no one in particular, "Alright, Pepper, it's time to pump yourself up!" I slap my cheeks, and ball my hands into fists, "Yea! It's time to train! I'm going to train the heck out of myself! I'm going to get strong, by training! Yea! Training! In the training room! That's what I'm going to do! I..." I slowly trail off, "...have no idea what to do."

I look around the room, and just feel completely lost now. I'm here, but what the heck do I do now? There's a treadmill, dumbbells, weights, training dummies, and a bunch of other... things. Doesn't this place come with an instruction manual or something? There's gotta be a "How to Train for Dummies" book around here. Oh, I know! Maybe I should start out by punching the training dummy!

"HIYAAAA!" I yell as I try to punch the dummy as hard as I can, except all I ended up hurting was my wrist, "Ow! Owowowowow." I shake my fist, and try to relieve the pain. Okay, maybe the training dummy thing wasn't a good idea. Alright, what about lifting dumbbells? That shouldn't be so hard. I see Ms. Gammon lift dumbbells all the time, they can't be that hard! I'll just start with the smallest one and, "Hrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg," be totally unable at lifting them.

Come on! These are the smallest ones! I can't be that weak! I just... gotta... lift them up, and- yes! I did it! I'm lifting them! I'm doing it! Oh my god why does this hurt so much!

"You know, training would be much more productive if you had an idea of what you were doing."

"WAH!" I yell out, startled by the sudden voice. I drop the dumbbells and phase fast before they hit my feet. I turn around, still a little shocked, and see Ms. Caldwell by the entrance. I rub the back of my head nervously, and sheepishly say, "Y-yea. I, uh, probably should've looked up how to train first, hehe."

Wait, am I hearing this right? She- she wants... to help me train? "O-oh! Y-you want to give me lessons? Like, help me train so I could be like you!? Oh wow! I would- I would," I would love to train with you is what I wanted to say, but the words just don't come out. I find myself hesitating, and I'm not sure why. Isn't this what I always wanted? Ms. Caldwell is my hero, and I've always dreamed of having her train me to be a real hero, and she would be the perfect person to help make me stronger. She has the experience that I lack, and I'm sure I could learn a lot of valuable lessons from her. I should be jumping for joy right now, but I'm not.

...And then I realized why. It's because I already asked another person to help me- I asked Fei.

Fei... she looked so excited when I asked her. She looked like she was really looking forward to helping me, and sure, she's a super emotional hothead (Says the super emotional crybaby), and she charges into things without really thinking them through, and she can be a bit frustrating to deal with at times, but... still. I asked her, and what kind of person would I be if I went back on my promise to her?

I give a long, deep, sigh, "I would love to, but," I hold onto my own hands, and start twiddling my thumbs, "...I already promised someone else I'd train with them. I appreciate the offer, I really do, but this... is actually important to me. I hope you understand."

...She is important to me, isn't she? I should really check up on her, and maybe the rest of the team first. Fei can always help me train later. I get out my phone, and send a message to her.

@Pepper posted:

hey, sorry for running out on you like that. do you wanna talk? if you're not feeling it, we can train together instead.

It just occurred to me after sending the message that Fei might not know how to work a phone, or even know how to check for messages, or how to reply back, or she might not even have her phone with her. Oh well, too late for that now.

"Um," I put away my phone, and face Ms. Caldwell, "Since you're here, would you mind, well, taking a picture together?" I get out my camera from my bag, "If-if it's okay with you!"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I hear my phone's text alert pop up. Huh, that was a faster reply than I was expecting. "Uh, excuse me for a moment," I say to Ms. Caldwell as I fish my phone out of my pocket again, "I think I might need to take this."

My hands start shaking as I stare at the black screen of my phone. I'm... almost a little scared to check. What if Fei's still mad at me? I did hurt her feelings pretty bad. I'm not sure how I would take it if she said no. Ugh, what was I thinking sending her that text in the first place?

Okay, deep breaths, Pepper, it's okay. Whatever she said, you can take it. If she refuses to meet up with you, then it's fine. You can work it out later, just open up your phone, and prepare yourself for th-

@FEIJIANGTHEUNST posted:

Dear Ghost!

I do want to talk! :D I apologize for my actions earlier! :( We can talk while training! :xd: I'm on my way with Spadertal! :killdozer:

SIncerely,
Feijiang

"....Pfffffffffffffffffffftttttthahahahahahahahhahahhahahaha!" I burst out laughing reading Fei's text. That was... not what I was expecting. God, even now she knows how to surprise me. I just laugh, and laugh, and laugh. I laugh so hard, tears started to come out. Why was I even so nervous in the first place?

"Hehehehehehe..heh..heh." I wipe away the tears in my eye, as my laughter slowly starts to die down. I look at the text once again, and a warm smile shows up on my face. I start typing out a reply to her.

@Pepper posted:

hehe great!!! i can't wait!!! see u soon!!! <3

Annnnd sent.

I was ready to put my phone away again, but a thought just came to mind. She's not the only one I need to talk to, is she? No, there's Miss Wraith, too. She was just trying to help, and I just... kinda ignored her. She extended her hand to me, and I rejected it because I couldn't stop feeling sorry for myself for one minute. I'll send a message to her and Clatterclaw, try to make this right.

@Pepper posted:

hey clatters (you don't mind me calling that do you?). is miss wraith around? can you show her this msg if she is?

hi miss wraith!!! (if you're reading this) i've been thinking about what you've said a lot, and you're right. everything you said is right, and i'm a huge jerkface :( i don't want you to feel like i ignored you cuz i don't care! the things you say are very valuable to me, and i'm so lucky i have a smart and cool friend like you!!!! <3

i'm in the training room atm. fei and spade are on their way right now too. you and clatters should join us!!! it'll be like a fun team exercise! :D

if you're not feeling it, i understand :) i just wanted to let you know that the stuff you said didn't go to waste!

see you soon, i hope!!!

<Hugzilla> Ghost is going to text Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith WITH COMFORT
<Theantero> YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 11+4 = 15

If Rachel opens up, she can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels, and I'm going to clear my condition.

There we go, sent. Actually, since I'm still on this texting train, I might as well send one to Will and Barbara, too.

@Pepper posted:

The same message is going to appear for both Vitreloy and Spark.

hey!!! we're all in the training room. u should join us if u can!!! it'll be fun, i promise!!!

Okay, that should be enough texting now. I look up at Ms. Caldwell, apologetically, and say "Sorry about that. I had to take care of a few team related things. It looks like this place might get a little more crowded than usual soon, hehe."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 6, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Wow, uh, they all got here a lot faster than I expected, especially Fei. I know I was the one who called them here, but I can't help but feel a little nervous now, and Miss Wraith's glare is not helping.

"Y-yea. I did..." I scratch my cheek, my eyes darting away from Miss Wraith's, "I-uh, you see- I mean..."

Agh, now is not the time to lose your nerve. You asked them all to be here for a reason! Just take a deep breath, and fight through the anxiety.

"I... called you all here because... because..." Deep breaths, Pepper, deep breaths, "We've... all had a rough day, and I think... staying apart like this is a bad idea. And before anybody says anything, yes, I know I'm guilty of that too!" I hold my hands close together, "I might as well win the award for "running away from your problems," I mumble.

I take a few moments to collect my thoughts, and take another breath, "...I thought it would be a good idea to do something together, like a team. Like, instead of sparring or yelling, we'd spend this time helping each other, but not for too long though," I turn to Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith, and smile at them, "We have an important person to visit soon, don't we?" I give them a wink.

"Speaking of important people," I take a moment to look around the room, and a worried look starts to appear on my face, "Will and Barbara aren't here yet, but I'm sure they'll arrive soon, I hope."

"And yea, the dumbbells sound like a good idea, Spade," I turn from Rachel to Fei, and as soon as I lock eyes on her, I feel my stomach tying itself into nervous knots, my heart started beating a little faster, and my face was getting a little flushed, "Ummm," I held my hands behind my back, and started swaying around, "D-do you w-wanna help me w-with the d-d-dumbells, Fei? I, uh, have been having a little... trouble... with them. It'd give us a good opportunity to..." My face started to get a little redder, "...talk."

I shuffle my way to the dumbbell rack, and wait for Fei. She looked like she had a lot to say, so I'll let her speak first. It shouldn't be that hard, right? We're just... going to have a friendly training session, that's all, and she doesn't look mad at me anymore. So why does it feel like my heart is about to burst from my chest?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 8, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Uh... free weights, right." I try to follow Fei's instructions, but I just end up being... lost. There's so much to keep track of, and I'm having a really hard time focusing on... anything, right now. "Uh, wow! Those are your weights? Gosh, you're strong! I can barely lift the small ones up, hehe."

And then she grabs my arms, and there goes any semblance of control I had on myself. My mind goes completely blank, and my face gets almost as red as my hair. I try to form words, but all that comes out of my mouth are a bunch of "Uhhhhs," and "Ummms." My knees are trembling, and I feel like I'm about to collapse. "C-c-c-c-chi! R-r-r-r-r-right!!!!" I stutter out.

When she let go of me, I let out a long breath, like my body just remembered how to breath again, and I feel a little... disappointed? She didn't have to let go of me that soon...

All the nervousness I felt was gone when Fei finally started to open up to me, and I started to feel an almost intense worry for her instead. Oh Fei, is this what you've been going through this whole time? I listen to everything she says, in silence, giving her the occasional nod to let her know that I'm still listening. I desperately want to say something, but... I can't. Not right now. I need to wait for her to be done, no matter how much it pains my heart to see her like this.

"Fei..." I walk up to her, and put a hand on her arm, and gently lower it down. I get ready to say something to her, before I'm interrupted by Miss Wraith. I look at her, a little shocked. Can't she see how much pain Fei is in?

"We should get back to training," I turn my head away from her, and bring my focus back to Fei, "But not like this. Not when a member of our team," I put an extra emphasis on team, "Is in need of emotional support right now, so yes, this is important. You and Spade can continue training, I need to talk to Feijiang, in private." I lower my hand to bring it to hers, and gently grab onto it, "Come on, follow me." I phase us both, and lead her to the nearest wall, "We'll be back soon," I say, before we both walk through into the locker room next door.

quote:

How could I get your character to ditch Feijiang and date Miss Wraith instead?

Not like that, you aren't! It's obvious that Ghost values everybody's feelings, and she felt like Miss Wraith's comment was incredibly insensitive and rude. It's obvious that Ghost values something in Feijiang, so if you ever want a chance to date her, you'll have to find what that value is and have her break it in front of Ghost.

"Sorry, I know this isn't the best place to talk, but at least we'll get some privacy here." I sit down on the nearest bench, and lead her down near the spot next to me, my hand never leaving hers.

"Fei, you say nobody's ever cared for you, but that's... that's..." I swing my head to look at her, and yell, "That's wrong! We all care about you! I care about you! It doesn't matter if you were raised as a weapon, that's not who you are! Don't say that about yourself! I'm so so sick of everybody thinking they're monsters, when they're not!" I put a hand on my chest, and fight back the tears that were starting to well up, "Do you think I'd care so much about your feelings if I thought of you as just a weapon!? No, of course not, I value you more than that! What you used to be- none of that matters! What matters... what matters... is who you are now," I put a hand on her cheek, "What matters, is the Fei standing in front of me right now. That's the Fei I care about."

I bring the hand away from her, and use it to wipe away the tears that started forming around my eyes, "...Did you know I always looked up to you? Back when we first started, I actually thought you were so cool, heh," I smile and wipe away another tear, "Sure, we used to argue a lot, but that never made me change my opinion of you. Do you want to know what I saw? I saw someone with a lot of heart, I saw," my smile widens, and I put my hands on top of hers "A real hero. That's what you are, even if you don't realize it."

"Not like me," my smile fades as I lower my head, "You're right, I do try too hard, and that's because... I'm afraid," my grip on her hand tightens a little, "I'm afraid of letting everybody down. You all made me your leader, and I'm still not sure why. All I've done is run, cry, and make excuses." My body slowly starts to shake, "What happened today, with you and Spade- that wasn't your fault. You did nothing wrong. I was... running away," I feel my throat closing up as I said that, like I admitted something I never wanted to, "I... didn't want to deal with it. I was so scared of screwing up, I... ran, and I didn't even want to admit it." I grab hold of my arm, in a pathetic attempt to stop myself from shaking, "I... I don't even know why I made you do that. I'm sorry. I can't even give you an excuse. I was in such a haze that time I wasn't even sure what was going through my head."

I bite my lower lip, "I just feel so much pressure, and I'm not sure if I could handle it anymore. I feel like I have to be more just to keep up with the rest of the team. I'm not super strong, I don't have magic kung-fu powers, I can't dig underground, I can't control metal, I can't shoot fire out of my fingertips, I'm just... ordinary. I'm an ordinary girl who can phase through walls. That's it. That's all I am! I try! I try to be brave! But I don't know if I can anymore." I start choking up as the tears start falling down again, "I don't even know if I belong here!"

Sharing a vulnerability with Feijiang. If she confirms I do belong here, I mark potential and she gains influence over me (meaning she can shift my labels since she already has influence on me). If she denies it, I mark angry and shift one label up and one label down.

Shifting Feijiang's to Freak down and Savior up.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +3 | Sup: -1 | Mun: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Fei, you..."

It takes a moment for her words to sink in. I have potential? Fei thinks I'm special? I... can be more? The only other person to tell me that is Ms. Gammon, but they- I'm not sure why, they mean a lot more coming from Fei. I look down at our hands, still joined together, and feel her warmth. I belong here. I belong... with her.

"Quit, huh? That sounds tempting, but, I can't quit," I bring my free hand to the side of her head, and move it so she's facing me again, so she can the big, warm, smile on my face, "Not when there's more work to be done." I'm crying again, but not from sadness this time, I'm crying because of how deeply her words have touched me, and I can't even begin to describe how happy I feel right now. I finally feel like I have the strength to face whatever comes next. I'm not afraid anymore.

...Hm. Has Fei always been this... handsome? Is it okay to call other girls handsome? Huh, I never realized how beautiful her red eyes are before. They have a shine to them, almost as bright as her. I can't take my eyes away from them. My body, almost like it's acting on it's own, is leaning closer to her, my lips start trembling. "Fei..." I close my eyes, and soon... my lips meet hers. I'm... kissing her? My first kiss, and it's with Fei. It feels so incredibly warm. I don't want it to stop. I want to stay like this, with her, forever. My arms wrap slowly wrap around her neck, bringing me a little closer to her. I never want to let go. After what felt like a blissful eternity, we separate our lips from each other, but my face stays close to hers. I stare at her beautiful eyes again. "Fei... I... I... I..."

...Wait. What did I just do?

Oh, I kissed Fei.

I kissed Fei?

OH MY GOD I KISSED FEI

My eyes widen, and my jaw drops as I just realized what I've just done. I KISSED her. I didn't even ask if it was okay! My body just moved on it's own and- OH GOD! It did feel really nice BUT STILL. Why did I DO that!? I launch myself out of the chair, my face completely red now. "I-I-I-I-I- I mean! I just! I... oh my god! I'm... I'm.. I'm sorry! I don't- I don't- I don't know what came over me! Uh! Uh! Uh!" Calm down, Pepper! You're fine! This is fine! No, this is NOT fine! I can't calm down! I'm practically hyperventilating! I need to get out, NOW! I jump through the wall, and take myself back to the training room. Oh God! They're all here! It's okay, you can salvage this Pepper. Just try to act cool. "Hey Will! Hey Barbara! Wow! It's great to finally see you two here! For some training! Yep! Training! That sure sounds great, huh!? Boy oh boy! Hahahahahahahaha!" I march awkwardly to the training dummies, "Training sure is fun, guys!" I throw a wimpy punch at the dummy, "Hahaha! Yep! It's a great way to make out with each other- I MEAN MAKE UP, MAKE UP WITH EACH OTHER!" Oh god. Don't panic. You can still save this. "SO Barabara! Will! Where have you guys been!? Not kissing, I hope!" DAMMIT PEPPER, "SO what did I miss!?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 11, 2016

• Locked thread