Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh god we got a bunch of clues from sean & figured out the 13th plotter's username but still can't figure out how to interact with him. The gibson is live again with a whole new set of puzzles that are apparently tougher than the last round and tougher than the gunpowder event. He changed how glocks work & nobody has any idea how to get past them now lol. This game is going nuts holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mindblast posted:

Depends entirely on whether or not you want to learn how to script to a certain imo. While there are other things to do for sure, skipping scripting would skip a large part of it all

If I were interested in learning how to script, would the game help me learn? And could I have some amount of fun while doing it?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

If I were interested in learning how to script, would the game help me learn? And could I have some amount of fun while doing it?

I believe so. There are many in-game resources for basic scripting, patterns to use, and even some tips for working within the game's resources. If you ever have any trouble you can use our group help channel, we're pretty good about getting people off in the right direction.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok i have a pretty sweet brute forcing script but what I do not understand is how to pass in a command rip the names from it then pass those automatically to the brute script.

ie:

name.getList{t:#s.anon.code{process:"directory", pass:"bethebest",project:"wibble"}}

Which will get the list of abandoned users and then call brute from the list

name.brute{t:#s.name}

Is this even possible ?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alright this game is pretty great, though I still have no idea what I'm doing. I just got past the first half of the firewall, now I need to get the second. I constantly have to look online to ask really basic questions like "How do I send messages?" and "How do I look at my scripts?". It's really enthralling though. I imagine if you actually know how to code it all comes a lot more naturally.

One really embarrassing thing: I never learned how to type correctly. Despite being on computers my whole life I always just hunt and peck. I'm finally trying to get over that and learn to type right. It's so loving hard. Typing this out right now I'm going at about 9WPM.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Ok i have a pretty sweet brute forcing script but what I do not understand is how to pass in a command rip the names from it then pass those automatically to the brute script.

ie:

name.getList{t:#s.anon.code{process:"directory", pass:"bethebest",project:"wibble"}}

Which will get the list of abandoned users and then call brute from the list

name.brute{t:#s.name}

Is this even possible ?

No it isn't, you can't get a scriptor from a string. You either have to pass it in as an argument or hardcode it in your script.
For the first part you could make a script:
code:
function (context, args) {
	args.t.call(args.x);
}
and then call the script like this:
code:
getList { t: #s.name.script, x: {process:"directory", pass:"bethebest", project:"wibble"} }

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

It's really enthralling though. I imagine if you actually know how to code it all comes a lot more naturally.

Not really. You mostly figure out game mechanics by poking at them. Being a Javascript wizard lets you play a better game of code golf, that is, fitting as much code within the character limit as possible. Anyone hungry enough can play this game.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Alright this game is pretty great, though I still have no idea what I'm doing. I just got past the first half of the firewall, now I need to get the second. I constantly have to look online to ask really basic questions like "How do I send messages?" and "How do I look at my scripts?". It's really enthralling though. I imagine if you actually know how to code it all comes a lot more naturally.

One really embarrassing thing: I never learned how to type correctly. Despite being on computers my whole life I always just hunt and peck. I'm finally trying to get over that and learn to type right. It's so loving hard. Typing this out right now I'm going at about 9WPM.

During the tutorial you can always type "help" to get a small list of useful commands. From there it will show you "scripts.trust" which you can always run safely. Running a command without any arguments will typically tell you more on how to use it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

After about an hour of failing to get through Mallory's firewall I learned that a "stack" in programming terms means just that, and when she asked for the user that connected after "X" meant I have to give her the one directly above "X", not the one after.

So now I'm live. What's next?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

After about an hour of failing to get through Mallory's firewall I learned that a "stack" in programming terms means just that, and when she asked for the user that connected after "X" meant I have to give her the one directly above "X", not the one after.

You could also have checked the time stamps.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Get in the discord and we can get you set up with some upgrades and stuff to do.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gonna get on this today but as a programmer who specifically wants to learn javascript I think I'll play myself for at least for a few days, or maybe I'll join the goon chat and refuse to take free money or scripts at first.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

e: Never mind fixed my Discord problem.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 17, 2016

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey
So five hours disappeared yesterday while I dragged my lazy rear end through the vLAN and into the game.
Have spent a bit of time trying to script out the t1 locks which was quite fun, even for my (really bad) JS.
Am on the discord and will mumble at people incoherently later.

One thing I'd say for any people who haven't used JS in a long time like me, the codeacademy.com learn javascript tutorials have been awesome at jogging my memory of functions and other things. The 500 character limit at the beginning of the game is a bit of a crapper though.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Feel free to ask in the discord chatrooms for upgrades, we can send you a bunch of char counts and such no problem if you don't feel like grinding them up. Getting you up to speed to help with some of the harder programming challenges would be good .

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

lazken posted:

So five hours disappeared yesterday while I dragged my lazy rear end through the vLAN and into the game.
Have spent a bit of time trying to script out the t1 locks which was quite fun, even for my (really bad) JS.
Am on the discord and will mumble at people incoherently later.

One thing I'd say for any people who haven't used JS in a long time like me, the codeacademy.com learn javascript tutorials have been awesome at jogging my memory of functions and other things. The 500 character limit at the beginning of the game is a bit of a crapper though.

its not that bad, I have a perfect T1 brute forcer in less than 500 characters

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Just got out of the vLAN. I want to start getting into scripting and whatnot soon, but first I want to figure out how to do any of this manually... I've been going through highsec scripts, looking for things to hack, but nothing looks or feels anything like the stuff that was in the tutorial. How the gently caress do I find NPC accounts to hack? I'm assuming I'm looking for something that responds to me with "need ez_21 unlock command" or something like that?

With 0GC, I can't even access basic stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This sounds like exactly what 15 year old me wanted to play.

I don't have much time to play games these days. Would I be putting myself at a significant disadvantage by only playing a few times a week, or am I just as secure/insecure no matter how long I'm offline?

• Locked thread