Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnqDfwULCgM

STEAM Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/469920/
Goon Discord: https://discord.gg/7UUJ44R

What is this??
Hackmud is an emergent ~cyber-hacking~ MMO sandbox game that consists of puzzles, javascript scripting, and scams. All of the scams. The objective is to get money, and the way you do that is either hacking NPCs, tricking other players, gambling, creating gambling scripts, creating Good Scripts that charge money every time they are used by others, or any other way you can think of.

This game relies heavily on community interaction. Here's the official description.

quote:

hackmud is a cyberpunk themed text-based hacking simulator for intel-compatible personal home computers. Get lost in a deep and complex world full of challenging puzzles.

- Make friends and enemies as you explore the depths of abandoned future internet cyber-structure
- Navigate the strange trials laid out for you by the Multi-User Domain’s governing cyber-super-intelligence, ‘The Trust’
- ‘Patch into the hardline’ to access protected systems and steal their digital goods
- Prove your worth to The Trust and escape the virtual L.A.N.
- Create and destroy digital empires while exploring the user-created multiplayer world

FEATURES

- Nuanced and engaging storyline
- Retro-futuristic text-based computing visuals
- 90s film style ‘hacking mode’
- Immersive soundtrack
- Persistent and constantly-evolving game world with user created content
- Global game economy

This game is also a puzzle game. If you don't want to do puzzles then you probably shouldn't get it.

How do you interact with the game?
Command line and javascript files you upload to the server.

Do you need scripting experience?
No. You can play this game entirely by using other people's scripts, and the tutorial teaches you how to do this. There are a bunch of user-made scripting help files lying around if you want to learn, but since it is essentially javascript you can just learn that from an actual javascript website such as w3schools or wherever else you want to google.

What IS the story?
You are one of many AI's trapped in a VLAN (singleplayer tutorial) who has just gained sentience. You want to escape to the Multiverse (MMO part), and you will, with the help of other AIs. Both areas are administrated by a central AI called TRUST. That's all I know so far.

What's a hardline?
It's connecting to another PC with a time limit. Breaching other systems (player or NPC) require an active hardline. If the timer expires you just have to wait a bit before you can try again. There may be other effects later in the game that cause you to lose money / upgrades / explode, I don't know.

PASSWORD HINT: BLUE ??!?!? THIS GAME IS UNBEATABLE, REFUND HERE I COME
Try guessing.

I just beat the tutorial, now what?
Scripts.FullSec will give you a list of scripts that are rated FULL SEC, aka they have no code that has been detected as being personally malicious to you. While most of these are player-made, some of these scripts are NPC Company scripts. You can rip money from these by poking around these a bit, and they update daily. There are a variety of FAQ type user made scripts that will tell you what's up, but as always be cautious about running these without running Scripts.Get_Level on them first.

Who are all these people yelling at me in chat 0000?
Another command you should run is Chats.Leave{channel:"0000"} .
0000 is the channel people get thrown into upon leaving and is the ~town centre~ kind of place. 99% of everything in there is scams to fool new players. Additionally, every script advertised there gets added to your script Autocomplete, so be very careful autocompleting scripts with the tab key. If you run something like Script.Fullsec instead of Scripts.Fullsec , you are going to be in a world of hurt.

What's the point of hacking me, I don't have any money! I'm going to run all of these scripts!
Don't do that. Scripts can discover what is called your "loc". You know how there were all those dead account scripts such as uknown_48934fakv.abcdefg you stole money from in the tutorial? That bit after the dot is the "loc". Your loc is generated ONE TIME when you create your user. If it's found out, you are hackable at any time by whoever has it. Any money you ever have ever again is at risk. There is currently no way to ever change your loc. Fortunately, you can retire your use account and create a new one, but there is a limit of 10 retirements. If you retire over 10 users then you sure have hosed up, I don't know what to say to you.

But it says my Locks are rotated!!!!
Loc and Lock are different things. A Lock is a system upgrade you can buy that makes hacking you a tiny bit harder or more time consuming. These reset, but your loc is static.

How to script?
#help will give you scripting commands run in game. If you run #edit x and are on windows 10 and get an error message, no big deal. The script was created and should show you it in file explorer, just right click it and hit edit, or open with your favourite text editor such as Notepad++

Anything else I should know?
Yes.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Let me know how that goes. I finally got out of the vLAN after a few tries, but haven't had a chance to look around yet. Someone yelled GREETINGS at me as I was shutting it down. :(

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Wow so many replies. I've added the discord to the OP!

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Haven't had a chance to even play much of this game yet, but are the server problems fixed well enough to remove the OP warning?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

DaveKap posted:

I looked up what passwords "blue" would hint at. Don't worry.

I made my second user's message for other sentiences "WRITE THIS DOWN: <answer>" for that one.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Found two script character count upgrades in a row, so I guess I should mess with this stuff.
Is the only place you can write to the user's console in the return statement? I guess that isn't a problem, but i expected there to be a command to do it elsewhere without ending the script and can't find any documentation about it.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 30, 2016

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Lichtenstein posted:

make a sub-function whose sole purpose is doing {return msg:dickbutt} while within your main function of the script.

Ahhh, why did I not think of that? :)

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quiggy posted:

So how do you raise your cap on allowed characters in scripts?

Char_count upgrade from market or random drop from npc. They stack, or at least I have two differently coloured ones active at once.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You should leave 0000 unless you are using it for something. It's just a jita scam spam.

TheWhizzardsTower is a pretty nice chat for getting actual help beyond the basics of "where am i is this hackmud"

The worst 0000 scam spam is reinit.* at the moment, never use those commands.

Even if you trust someone in 0000 or any chat actually never run some random script they are talking about without using Scripts.Get_Level on it, because there are fullsec scripts that cause anyone to run them to say some scam line in whatever chat channel the creator wants.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 1, 2016

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I've updated the OP with things I know about the game. If anyone has any more things I should put in there I can do that, but I think I got the basics of "what is dis" covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Ciaphas posted:

aaaaaaaand my eyes hurt. is there any way to bolster the font size on this fuckin thing

No, but the dev said that is a thing that would be in an update, I think.

• Locked thread