Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been enjoying this season, and while Fiona is being a bitch about it, she has several points about what she's sacrificed to help the family and that maybe Lip should take a turn. It's also a breath of freah air to be four episodes in and have her plotline have zero to do with boy troubles. She may be a pretty awful person, but the character has always been consistent to me and Emmy Rossum being talented as gently caress has helped in keeping her believable to me from day one.

Debbie is the worst, like so bad I can't even put in the effort to be disappointed in where her character went, even if some of it made sense to me. Carl continues to get better each year. Lip I am honestly most tired of. Ian's character has been floundering for a while, especially since Mickey left, and I still don't think Monaghan can act. Frank is Frank.

Svetlana is the best.

Also, I really appreciate Emmy Rossum's new and improved Bulma hair.

e: also i guess fiona's storyline still has stuff to do w/ relationship troubles w/r/t throwing herself into work to avoid not only her family but the whole sean thing, but you know what I mean

esperterra fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
Actually Fiona has no excuse at all for being the guardian of two children and telling those children to move her to the bottom of their emergency contact list.

She does not even have the excuse that it was an unexpected pregnancy she volunteered for the job.

Furthermore her apparent disgust at the fact that Debbie would not get an abortion is disturbing and gross.

Her fiance left her her best friend wants nothing to do with her and now she runs an illegal bar. She is toxic and pathetic.

Good character and great actress though.
If I knew her in real life I would sever all contact with her however.

Lip is kind of annoying but Carl is awesome and I like the cop he hangs with, those two are a great pair. Kev/V/Svetlana are the best part of the show now imo.

EVIL NOONER fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 25, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I want the season to end with Debbie killing Fiona for being such a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EVIL NOONER posted:

She is toxic and pathetic.

I don't disagree with this at all. I wasn't saying she had any excuse or that she's going about it the right way, just that she's got a point about everyone being old enough to pull some weight.

Tho I do think Lip needs to help out more, whether she's the legal guardian or not. Especially now that he isn't in school any more. It would be another matter if he was planning on going back. Her taking that responsibility is a big deal, but it was also a desperation move to keep everyone out of foster care way back when. Girl needs some space and and a break, and (I think) deserves it, but she's doing it in grand Gallagher fashion instead of asking nicely. How pathetic and messed up Fiona is is one of the best things about the character imo.

Svetlana needs more and more screentime forever.

e: words kept appearing even when i was done

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 25, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Given Carl's gun/shuriken skills this episode, they should end the show by having him don a mask and start cleaning up the streets at night, thus laying the groundwork for a spinoff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

I want the season to end with Debbie and Fiona killing eachother for being such tremendous assholes.

FTFY.

I did like how Debbie was getting poo poo on this episode. Serves her right for being a dumb gently caress at life. And now she needs to come to terms with "I hosed up and had a kid when I shouldn't have and have to deal with what comes with it". No sympathy for her what soever.

Fiona needs to cut lip some slack at this moment because he could actually do something with his life and take care of them. Did you guys watch the scene with his professor? Now is not the time to make him act like a dad.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

esperterra posted:

I've been enjoying this season, and while Fiona is being a bitch about it, she has several points about what she's sacrificed to help the family and that maybe Lip should take a turn. It's also a breath of freah air to be four episodes in and have her plotline have zero to do with boy troubles. She may be a pretty awful person, but the character has always been consistent to me and Emmy Rossum being talented as gently caress has helped in keeping her believable to me from day one.

Debbie is the worst, like so bad I can't even put in the effort to be disappointed in where her character went, even if some of it made sense to me. Carl continues to get better each year. Lip I am honestly most tired of. Ian's character has been floundering for a while, especially since Mickey left, and I still don't think Monaghan can act. Frank is Frank.

Svetlana is the best.

Also, I really appreciate Emmy Rossum's new and improved Bulma hair.

e: also i guess fiona's storyline still has stuff to do w/ relationship troubles w/r/t throwing herself into work to avoid not only her family but the whole sean thing, but you know what I mean

Huh, reading the thread i surprised people are so anti-fiona in this. She essentially gave up her life to take care of the kids. She dropped out of school where its hinted that while she wasn't Lip level genious was reasonably smart and may have been able to get a track scholarship as well.

She's always rebelled against the way her life turned out, previously with bad relationship choices and drugs, but now she's taking charge in what she sees at the best possible direction. Granted, she's still kind of an awful and breaking all sorts of laws in running her business, but i still see it as a step in the right direction.

Also how old is debbie and how old is fiona when she had to drop everything? those two ages must be reasonably close. Fiona must have a huge subconscious axe to grind when she gave up everything at Debbies age.

Lastly, Lip is at the cusp of greatness for sure. But he's been at the cusp of greatness for several seasons now. Fiona's cut him slack for his entire life and all he's done with it is become an alcoholic, college dropout working an internship for free in her eyes. I'm totally okay with her going, "me first" for once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Also how old is debbie and how old is fiona when she had to drop everything? those two ages must be reasonably close. Fiona must have a huge subconscious axe to grind when she gave up everything at Debbies age.

The ages on this show have never been totally consistent but if Carl is 16 (as stated during this season) than Debbie is probably 17.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Huh, reading the thread i surprised people are so anti-fiona in this. She essentially gave up her life to take care of the kids. She dropped out of school where its hinted that while she wasn't Lip level genious was reasonably smart and may have been able to get a track scholarship as well.

She's always rebelled against the way her life turned out, previously with bad relationship choices and drugs, but now she's taking charge in what she sees at the best possible direction. Granted, she's still kind of an awful and breaking all sorts of laws in running her business, but i still see it as a step in the right direction.

Lastly, Lip is at the cusp of greatness for sure. But he's been at the cusp of greatness for several seasons now. Fiona's cut him slack for his entire life and all he's done with it is become an alcoholic, college dropout working an internship for free in her eyes. I'm totally okay with her going, "me first" for once.

Wouldn't call going to college in Chicago the same cusp of greatness as interning at a place where everyone leaving goes on to make 6 figures.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Fi's the best part of the show for me, other than Svetlana, Kev, V and Carl. It always surprises me when people complain in the thread about her, too-- tho I can understand being tired of her stories usually revolving around how bad she is at relationships. It doesn't bother me personally, but I get it.

100% on board with her being 'me first', though I'm sure the way she's going about it will blow up spectacularily in her face.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I think Debbie was 15/16 when she was trying to hook up with the pizza guy a few seasons back so she's probably 17/18 by now.

Hoping this season picks up steam soon. Nothing really compelling happening anymore, and other than Car/Kev/V/Svetlana, all of the characters are stuck in disinteresting/repetitive storylines. Bummer, considering how great this show was a few seasons ago.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
When the show began, they were 21, 16/17 (Lip was a junior in high school and could drive), 15, almost 11, 9, and 2.
Now they're all over the place. Fiona was referred to as 27 in season 6. Liam has aged only a few years (still in daycare, not in Kindergarten), while Carl is apparently 16 or lied about being 16 for his circumcision; Deb was 16 when she gave birth and 15 when she got pregnant (and she supposedly gave birth about two months ago); there was a reference to Lip as 21 last season, even though he entered college at 18/19 and he's only had two semesters there; Ian last season was old enough to be an EMT but not old enough to drink, and he was still 17 at the beginning of season 5 (probably because it was convenient for him to be a minor in the plot). So they've all aged at different rates, Deb and Carl have caught up to their siblings by about two years over the last two seasons, and Liam should be about seven but is instead five.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

esperterra posted:

Her taking that responsibility is a big deal, but it was also a desperation move to keep everyone out of foster care way back when.

Yeah and their response to it has basically been "well thanks for keeping us together but you're not actually in charge of us" so I can see that being glossed over.

Debbie went from one of the genuinely good people on the show to kind of a giant poo poo, I blame the absence of Sheila as a halfway decent role model. She always seems like she will almost be on the verge of asking for sincere help but then she just acts like an rear end in a top hat, which I guess to be fair is pretty standard teenager acting.

Debbie and Carl basically reversed positions over the last 2 seasons, and now Carl is the best Gallagher, with the second best being "none" and Kev/V/Svetlana being the true stars of the show

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I am just shaking my head at everyone being mad at Fiona. She sacrificed her life up until this point to take care of FIVE siblings and two lovely parents from when she was like six years old. She is pretty much a perfect saint on this show's terms and has basically been the catalyst for every positive development in the life of her lovely entitled brothers and sisters (besides Carl who actually pulls his own weight and Liam)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 26, 2016

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

I am just shaking my head at everyone being mad at Fiona. She sacrificed her life up until this point to take care of FIVE siblings and two lovely parents from when she was like six years old. She is pretty much a perfect saint on this show's terms and has basically been the catalyst for every positive development in the life of her lovely entitled brothers and sisters (besides Carl who actually pulls his own weight and Liam)

she told two minor children that she volunteered to be the legal guardian of to put her at the bottom of her emergency contacts.

she is telling her unemployed and single mother little sister, who again, she is the legal guardian of, that she will evict her.

yea shes a perfect saint

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I like Fiona, it seems like her current storyline has to do with fallout from the spectacularly failed wedding that she's avoided talking about with V. I think the shittiest thing she's done was last season when she tried to guilt Debbie into getting an abortion but I also agree her latest poo poo with her siblings is kinda harsh.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Luvcow posted:

I like Fiona, it seems like her current storyline has to do with fallout from the spectacularly failed wedding that she's avoided talking about with V. I think the shittiest thing she's done was last season when she tried to guilt Debbie into getting an abortion but I also agree her latest poo poo with her siblings is kinda harsh.

the only people that are taking fiona seriously right now are people that dont know her

the new people at work

tinder people

her family and friends are all like aiight this girl cray

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EVIL NOONER posted:

she told two minor children that she volunteered to be the legal guardian of to put her at the bottom of her emergency contacts.

she is telling her unemployed and single mother little sister, who again, she is the legal guardian of, that she will evict her.

yea shes a perfect saint

Boo loving hoo. They are all past fifteen. Time to learn some basic personal responsibility, especially if you have spent the last season whining about what awesome mother you will be and how much you want the baby that you apparently want to put on the shoulders of everyone who had nothing to do with said decision as soon as she is born.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Boo loving hoo. They are all past fifteen. Time to learn some basic personal responsibility, especially if you have spent the last season whining about what awesome mother you will be and how much you want the baby that you apparently want to put on the shoulders of everyone who had nothing to do with said decision as soon as she is born.

are you trolling or mentally ill

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EVIL NOONER posted:

are you trolling or mentally ill

Are you trolling, mentally ill, or unaware that this is a TV show (actually that is being mentally ill, so...)

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Are you trolling, mentally ill, or unaware that this is a TV show (actually that is being mentally ill, so...)

quote:

They are all past fifteen. Time to learn some basic personal responsibility,

thats your response to a persons guardian threatening to illegally evict and abandon them lol

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EVIL NOONER posted:

thats your response to a persons guardian threatening to illegally evict and abandon them lol

Yeah and again, it's Shameless. Did you miss the part where I said "on this show's terms".

Like if this was real life they all would have been in foster care before Ian was born.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not to mention Frank being dead or in prison or at least roaming the streets in a brain damaged haze, 10 times over

If you're going to imply real world logic and morality to this show it is basically not the show for you

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Besides, tough love is tough love. Fiona hasn't actually evicted anybody yet-- she's just used it as a kick in the rear end to get Debbie to grow up and find a job.

If she actually tosses her out when the time runs out, then you can bitch about it. But it wouldn't be the first or last time a pregnant teen/teen mom has been kicked out of her home by her legal guardian, tv show or real life.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lip & Ian should absolutely be paying rent. Debbie needs a kick in the rear end because she wanted all of the fun of a baby with none of the downsides and didn't listen to anyone along the way re: finishing school, getting pregnant, getting an abortion, or adoption. Carl & Liam are cool.

Honestly I'm way more sympathetic to Fiona this season than season 4(?) when she almost killed Liam, got arrested, lost her job, then got sent to jail for 3 months for breaking probation.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Lip & Ian should absolutely be paying rent. Debbie needs a kick in the rear end because she wanted all of the fun of a baby with none of the downsides and didn't listen to anyone along the way re: finishing school, getting pregnant, getting an abortion, or adoption. Carl & Liam are cool.

Honestly I'm way more sympathetic to Fiona this season than season 4(?) when she almost killed Liam, got arrested, lost her job, then got sent to jail for 3 months for breaking probation.

Really? Because she could have avoided all that garbage by not being a GIANT PIECE OF poo poo and cheating on her boyfriend with his GIANT PIECE OF poo poo brother. It felt contrived and ham fisted. Or maybe I have more sense and can't conceive how I'd get myself in a situation like that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Really? Because she could have avoided all that garbage by not being a GIANT PIECE OF poo poo and cheating on her boyfriend with his GIANT PIECE OF poo poo brother. It felt contrived and ham fisted. Or maybe I have more sense and can't conceive how I'd get myself in a situation like that.

I...don't think you read my post correctly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

I...don't think you read my post correctly.

Yes, yes I did. Whoops!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Yes, yes I did. Whoops!

Fiona this season I have sympathy for. Fiona season 4 I don't. Simple enough for you?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

GobiasIndustries posted:

she is well on the way to doing both of those again so

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EVIL NOONER posted:

she is well on the way to doing both of those again so

Maybe. The fact that she was totally cool inviting the police to that party makes me think she might be able to get away with it...but it's Shameless, so something will go wrong sooner or later.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

What happened to that dopey blond police guy that was barking up her tree in seasons 1+2 when Jimmysteve was around? Seems like he could be one to just show up and save the day if needed, same with Carl's new buddy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

What happened to that dopey blond police guy that was barking up her tree in seasons 1+2 when Jimmysteve was around? Seems like he could be one to just show up and save the day if needed, same with Carl's new buddy

He had a cameo last year and it turned out he's gay.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I hate when that happens.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fiona did nothing wrong.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I could forgive Debbie last year as it was an awkward age, she had some issues and the behavior of someone that age, in that situation was believable. This season I can't stand her. I love Debbie so much more when she was a proto-Lip. In the early seasons she was super intelligent and coming up with a bunch of awesome scams. Why has she been dumbed down to the intelligence level of a junkie doing a smash and grab?

I can understand Fiona's current feelings/motivations but during the last episode I was definitely thinking "you're going about this the wrong way" and "although your life has been lovely, sometimes things are lovely, you need to suck that up. You have unfortunately been lumped with a great responsibility, you can't just throw up your hands and wipe them of everything."

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Debbie used to run a day care for extra money in the summers, how can she not consider this even once now that she has to be doing childcare anyway?

It's also dumb that she's not already on public assistance. Underage, supporting a baby, no father, she's entitled to her Obama phone and government cheese.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

hepscat posted:

Debbie used to run a day care for extra money in the summers, how can she not consider this even once now that she has to be doing childcare anyway?

It's also dumb that she's not already on public assistance. Underage, supporting a baby, no father, she's entitled to her Obama phone and government cheese.

People didn't want their kids there after Fiona got charged with her felony.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Looten Plunder posted:

I could forgive Debbie last year as it was an awkward age, she had some issues and the behavior of someone that age, in that situation was believable. This season I can't stand her. I love Debbie so much more when she was a proto-Lip. In the early seasons she was super intelligent and coming up with a bunch of awesome scams. Why has she been dumbed down to the intelligence level of a junkie doing a smash and grab?

I can understand Fiona's current feelings/motivations but during the last episode I was definitely thinking "you're going about this the wrong way" and "although your life has been lovely, sometimes things are lovely, you need to suck that up. You have unfortunately been lumped with a great responsibility, you can't just throw up your hands and wipe them of everything."

I don't get why everyone is so mad at Fiona? She basically gave up her entire life to take care of these kids, and between what looks like pretty fast relationships (to me/tv) she gets a freaking break. Ian, Lip, herself (maybe Carl lol) have an actual chance at a future but I cannot STAND DEBBIE. In the show's term's she's just a fat, ugly chick with an annoying baby. Fiona told her in no simple terms "I'm not gonna take care of another baby". She should have run off and gotten an abortion ASAP, but she wanted a MAN. I hate Deb so much.

I thought the LGBTTSXFTQIOUT whatsit with the gender pronouns was pretty funny. I'm cool and I still can't keep up with that poo poo. Imagine you're the first gay dude to come out openly in Detroit and it sounds exactly as irritating as it sounds to everyone else. "My pronoun is"they"" . :laffo: The dude has manic-depression and his dad running a homeless shelter next door and he should care who gets offended at ZE, ZA, SHE, SHA, THEY. Bigger problems? No? I thought it was a funny rif akin to the hipsters who overpaid to get yelled at by Svetlana.

IN any case, this show is still awesome, and out of 20+ shows I watch per week - I get happy when I have a new one. like the Flash. It's just fun despite any drawbacks - - you want to watch it. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

DoggPickle posted:

I don't get why everyone is so mad at Fiona? She basically gave up her entire life to take care of these kids, and between what looks like pretty fast relationships (to me/tv) she gets a freaking break. Ian, Lip, herself (maybe Carl lol) have an actual chance at a future but I cannot STAND DEBBIE. In the show's term's she's just a fat, ugly chick with an annoying baby. Fiona told her in no simple terms "I'm not gonna take care of another baby". She should have run off and gotten an abortion ASAP, but she wanted a MAN. I hate Deb so much.

I thought the LGBTTSXFTQIOUT whatsit with the gender pronouns was pretty funny. I'm cool and I still can't keep up with that poo poo. Imagine you're the first gay dude to come out openly in Detroit and it sounds exactly as irritating as it sounds to everyone else. "My pronoun is"they"" . :laffo: The dude has manic-depression and his dad running a homeless shelter next door and he should care who gets offended at ZE, ZA, SHE, SHA, THEY. Bigger problems? No? I thought it was a funny rif akin to the hipsters who overpaid to get yelled at by Svetlana.

IN any case, this show is still awesome, and out of 20+ shows I watch per week - I get happy when I have a new one. like the Flash. It's just fun despite any drawbacks - - you want to watch it. I love it.

:)

• Locked thread