Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll admit I haven't read gbs/fyad in years but overall I think SA does a much better job fighting this problem than any other comparable internet forum.

I feel like somethingawful provided the framework more than it provided the racists. I think early 2000s ironic shock humor set up an environment to attract and gather people that felt less ironic about the stuff everyone was ironically saying. And it shaped a particular generation of people that were going to be bigots either way into specific channels. Stuff flowed from satire to catch phrase to just... a thing people say and think. But not necessarily the same person on each of the three steps.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think you guys might be vastly overestimating the influence SA has had. Maybe 5-10 years ago SA had some sort of pull or weight in "internet culture" but it didn't start the loving alt-right. Everything bad on the internet starts on sites like 4chan and reddit now, places with actual large and growing communities.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
The morbid fascination with cuckoldry by a bunch of basement-dwelling incel shut-ins could keep an army of psychoanalysts busy for ages.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheImmigrant posted:

The morbid fascination with cuckoldry by a bunch of basement-dwelling incel shut-ins could keep an army of psychoanalysts busy for ages.

I agree, the alt-right's obsession with cuckoldry and miscegenation is something that really needs examination by psychologists.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I think you guys might be vastly overestimating the influence SA has had. Maybe 5-10 years ago SA had some sort of pull or weight in "internet culture" but it didn't start the loving alt-right. Everything bad on the internet starts on sites like 4chan and reddit now, places with actual large and growing communities.

I am absolutely talking about 10-15 years ago, shock humor morphing from funny people saying crazy stuff to shake up the squares into people taking up those causes as actual causes to actually believe but talking about it in identical language. A thing that happened over the last decade.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It's not that hard really, a bunch of sexually frustrated men feel they were promised a certain level of sexual and economic prosperity and having failed to achieve that look towards other races as having stolen their rightful satisfaction from them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I personally would go 100% freud and say for people who find homosexuality and interracial sexuality to be abhorrent they are way too many dudes way too interested in black dudes' dicks.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Jesus only hates your burning desire to be rear end-ploughed by Mandingo if you act on it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

OwlFancier posted:

I personally would go 100% freud and say for people who find homosexuality and interracial sexuality to be abhorrent they are way too many dudes way too interested in black dudes' dicks.

Nah, if they imagine black men are just naturally more sexually attractive than them it alleviates their own personal insecurity

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am absolutely talking about 10-15 years ago, shock humor morphing from funny people saying crazy stuff to shake up the squares into people taking up those causes as actual causes to actually believe but talking about it in identical language. A thing that happened over the last decade.

I severely doubt there wasn't at least a significant portion of shock humor that's just "I'm saying what I want and let's laugh at those liberals melting down over it".

Like that's literally what the "Politically Incorrect Guide to ____" stuff is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure they like to spend a lot of time imagining how sexually attractive black men are.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

computer parts posted:

I severely doubt there wasn't at least a significant portion of shock humor that's just "I'm saying what I want and let's laugh at those liberals melting down over it".

Absolutely, There is humor and satire in being the first person to say a thing that is taboo. Agree with what you are saying or not. I think after that happens things tend to be repeated by less funny people, then become a catchphrase, then a slogan, then the slogan of people that actually think that thing, then work to build an environment people can say actually awful things in public because they can slip in and out of "I was joking!" when they are telling the same joke 300 other people are but they mean it and that builds up communities of people using the language created by people that probably were just saying whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Absolutely, There is humor and satire in being the first person to say a thing that is taboo. Agree with what you are saying or not. I think after that happens things tend to be repeated by less funny people, then become a catchphrase, then a slogan, then the slogan of people that actually think that thing, then work to build an environment people can say actually awful things in public because they can slip in and out of "I was joking!" when they are telling the same joke 300 other people are but they mean it.

This is literally how Hitler came to power.
None of his thugs were arrested after kristallnacht because they managed to say "it's just a prank!!!" before the police could get them.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I do a considerable amount of fencing with homophobic bigots on other blogs, and they do seem to spend a lot of time fantasizing about what they think happens in a gay man's bedroom.

By posting these detailed scenarios, they say a lot more about themselves than the gays they claim to despise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King Possum III posted:

I do a considerable amount of fencing with homophobic bigots on other blogs, and they do seem to spend a lot of time fantasizing about what they think happens in a gay man's bedroom.

By posting these detailed scenarios, they say a lot more about themselves than the gays they claim to despise.

I... kind of want to hear some of those because I'm assuming at least half of them dive into lovecraftian horror.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I... kind of want to hear some of those because I'm assuming at least half of them dive into lovecraftian horror.

Yes, some of them write about the virtue of resisting "unwanted" same-sex attractions. Others with fertile imaginations talk about gay rape, often in a prison setting where there's no escape for the "victim."

Most of them confine their fantasies to anal sex, and jealousy of gay men who get more action than they do.

Hot, sweaty man-on-man action.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

King Possum III posted:

I noticed this with the few homophobes I've interacted with (they're extremely rare in my area). They'll say gays make them uncomfortable, it's gross. ok. But they always have this really obsessive curiosity as well. I think for a lot of homophobes it's that they just don't understand the gays or how it works for them so, like in a horror movie that barely shows the monster, they let their imagination run wild and it ends up being far more scary than reality. They just fill in the blanks on what they don't understand with what ever the most perverse unnatural act they can imagine, and boy do they like to spend a lot of time imagining those.

Like this one lady I met, seemed reasonable, but she was from some small town and no one knew she was a homophobe until it somehow came up in conversation. She starts going on about how she just can't "get" lesbians and went on in detail about how gross and stupid they are because pussies are gross and stinky and who wants to eat that all day and scissoring is stupid and what do they just wear double ended dildos and so on and so on. Gay men were even worse because all gay men are effeminate and she likes manly men. It was funny because her hate of gay men was entirely framed by her being turned off by them not being macho, nothing to do with how they gently caress. She also hates the gay agenda because it turns men gay and gay men won't date her, and it also makes straight guys act more effeminate, which makes her not want to date them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pussy Cartel posted:

I agree, the alt-right's obsession with cuckoldry and miscegenation is something that really needs examination by psychologists.

I have a theory -- basically now that homosexual slurs are verboten even among that kind of crowd, they needed some other insult meaning "sexually submissive", and cuckold was conveniently to hand in the language already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The hell is with all these homophobes who have no concept of a power top?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They could probably easily understand the concept of a power top. I imagine most imagine themselves to be a peak example.

You really want to blow their minds try and get them to understand the concept of a power bottom.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

One of my straight friends asked me, "what do you people do?" I told him "we do the same things as you straights; we hold hands, we hug and kiss, we masturbate ourselves and each other, we have oral sex and intercourse." He seemed almost disappointed that my explanation wasn't more lurid than that.

But I didn't mind him asking, since I want to teach by being an example. Most straight people are surprised when they find out I'm gay, since I don't fit the effeminate, immature, sex-obsessed stereotype of a gay man. One older woman was perplexed when I told her about myself, and said "but you don't act gay." I'm sure she meant that as a compliment, but I told her "yes, I do. I'm gay 24/7, so any way I act is automatically a gay way to act."

And gay men can be plenty macho, believe me.

Some of the homophobes on those other blogs sincerely believe that gay men eat each other's feces and stuff live gerbils up their butts. Really. My best attempts to refute this and explain a few things were dismissed as lies aimed at furthering that gay agenda. I assume they got these misconceptions from RWM and the evangelicals who hate us. At least most people don't believe the old lie that gay men are child molesters anymore. As far as the so-called gay agenda, it's very simple; equality.

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 27, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I understand you het-er-oh-secks-you-als practice the act of "un birthing" as your primary mode of sexual stimulation?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Patton Oswalt got turned down for a role for a gay sidekick character in some movie because he wanted to play the character dumb and simple. Just some dumb basic dude. But all gays are sassy and spout smart quips all the time!

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Most FYAD regulars identify as SJW's now.

Except those who are doing it ironically and are maybe, probably, non-ironic alt-right. I'm basing this on the fact that those who are enraged at the FYAD use of SJW, ironic or otherwise, are GBS and don't get irony, marking them as the non-ironic anti-SJWs.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Milo talks about banging black dudes so he hits that perfect spot of titillating his audience and agitating more traditional conservatives both black and white. The prostate of identity politics, if you like.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This is actually a tough question for me. On the one hand the "establishment right" is largely a pack of sociopaths and con men who's only real goal is to use fear and bigotry to rip off the American people in order to make the obscenely wealthy and powerful even richer. On the other hand the "alt-right" are the people who've bought into the establishment's propaganda to the point where they're certifiably insane. As a result whenever they get any real power the effects are catastrophic.

It's kind of like asking if I prefer a flesh eating bacteria over the company that made it, released it, profited off the carnage, and then suffered no consequences because they had rigged the system to make prosecution impossible.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fututor Magnus posted:

Except those who are doing it ironically and are maybe, probably, non-ironic alt-right. I'm basing this on the fact that those who are enraged at the FYAD use of SJW, ironic or otherwise, are GBS and don't get irony, marking them as the non-ironic anti-SJWs.
Frankly, I find this attitude disgusting. They destroyed GBS for its transphobia, and this is the thanks they get?

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
Maybe they just resent liberal pathologizing of any and all dissent, which incidentally is a project largely undertaken by people with no actual insight one way or the other. One of the most active threads on this forum is 81 pages of the most infantile made up bullshit that serves no purpose other than to develop a jargon to classify and taxonomize all the different badthinks. It's the very definition of armchair "academic politics". You'd think the broad failure of progressive strategy at the level "uhhh well old people will just die and then there won't be any more problems" would engender like a shred of self-awareness and some sense of opposition to neoliberalism being mandatory to left politics but here we are~

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They wouldn't be pathologized if they didn't act irrationally. Neither the establishment GOP nor the alt-right is actually able to muster a coherent ideological framework, that isn't some combination of racism, trickle-down economics, or anti-secularism. Why those ideas continue to persist, in the face of reality, is a question that deserves to be answered. They have been given ample opportunities to stop, they've refused, and in fact have typically doubled down.

When you're committed to that level of doublethink, when you're that willing to throw away logical consistency, respect for the 'rules' of intellectual debate & any sense of shame (that might push you to reform or change your positions), how should you expect to be treated, other than as a So Dumb And God Damned Crazy?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

rudatron posted:

This is one of the dumbest things itt, if only because the alt-right is a term the people discussed came up with, for themselves.
It's a pretty useless term because it covers a bunch of different groups and people with very different motivations, goals, and origins. Asking whether it originated from SA is a perfect example of why it's dumb: Places like chan boards could technically trace their history back to SA, even though that's after 2+ rounds of people leaving a site for somewhere with less moderation, but that says nothing about Breitbart, Vox Day, pseudointellectual neoreactionaries, and the Manosphere that aren't outgrowths of SA or chan boards.

It also means different things depending on who's saying it, ranging from a specific set of neoreactionary loons to basically any right-wing figure or group that got popular via the Internet. I've seen some people described as part of the "alt-right" that have their own definition of it and hate it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

spotlessd posted:

Maybe they just resent liberal pathologizing of any and all dissent, which incidentally is a project largely undertaken by people with no actual insight one way or the other. One of the most active threads on this forum is 81 pages of the most infantile made up bullshit that serves no purpose other than to develop a jargon to classify and taxonomize all the different badthinks. It's the very definition of armchair "academic politics". You'd think the broad failure of progressive strategy at the level "uhhh well old people will just die and then there won't be any more problems" would engender like a shred of self-awareness and some sense of opposition to neoliberalism being mandatory to left politics but here we are~

So what kind of dissent are you thinking of as pathologized despite having a valid point?

Are you about to tell me that back in your home country of Poland you're more ~open minded~ about the benefits of the Holocaust because this is starting to feel real familiar.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

spotlessd posted:

I'm actually not even a liberal. I just recognize that nazis need to be corrected be it through education, or be it through camps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

This is actually a tough question for me. On the one hand the "establishment right" is largely a pack of sociopaths and con men who's only real goal is to use fear and bigotry to rip off the American people in order to make the obscenely wealthy and powerful even richer. On the other hand the "alt-right" are the people who've bought into the establishment's propaganda to the point where they're certifiably insane. As a result whenever they get any real power the effects are catastrophic.

It's kind of like asking if I prefer a flesh eating bacteria over the company that made it, released it, profited off the carnage, and then suffered no consequences because they had rigged the system to make prosecution impossible.

They haven't bought into the establishment propaganda.

They believe the establishment has robbed them of their future, and have decided to blame the Jews and "cultural Marxism" for conspiring against them.

Though I still believe most of their xenophobic posturing is just trying to use edgy humor to hide their insecurities. They certainly like the broad sentiment behind their holocaust memes or whatever, but it would be absurd to assume they actually wish to purge all the undesirables. Compare that to the establishment politicians, who have shown not only will, but also a desire to use lethal force against dissent again and again.

In the end, the alt-right is nothing more than another distraction to shift attention away from the failing system.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 28, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

It's frankly pathetic and gross watching elite liberals try to rehabilitate the pre-Trump GOP

Hillary Clinton is trying to rehabilitate some votes from Reagan Republicans, we'll see what happens after the election.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

Well show me research that thats better then a two parent home.

loving on the side a lot is a really common feature of the two parent home historically.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

steinrokkan posted:

Though I still believe most of their xenophobic posturing is just trying to use edgy humor to hide their insecurities. They certainly like the broad sentiment behind their holocaust memes or whatever, but it would be absurd to assume they actually wish to purge all the undesirables.

I think this would be dangerous to assume. The young German men were *very* happy to take out their insecurities on Jewish people for real, as concentration camp guards and executioners and the like, back in WW2. You can get unhappy young men to do pretty much any atrocity you like, which is how war has always worked.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

loving on the side a lot is a really common feature of the two parent home historically.

So the edgy communists best response is. "Well some people cheat".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The alt-right is worse because they're younger and will be with us longer. The establishment right is mostly old fuckers who will die out in the near future.

I also theorize that this alt-right thing might just be a big "phase" for a lot of these young men, like how SA was extremely libertarian for a while and then the userbase aged out of it. Maybe when they get jobs and wives and poo poo like that they won't be as concerned about trolling folks online.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

The alt-right is worse because they're younger and will be with us longer. The establishment right is mostly old fuckers who will die out in the near future.

Said every young person in the past thousand years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

So the edgy communists best response is. "Well some people cheat".

More like most of em.

• Locked thread