Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I'm American, and unafraid of nudity. I shower most mornings, naked, with other people at my gym. Sometimes I go to the nude beach on Assateague Island, over in Maryland. I've been naked, with many other Americans, on Fire Island. I watch American movies depicting nudity. I have sex, naked usually, with another American.

This one is like "French people stink of garlic" or "Spanish people eat lots of tacos." - harmless stereotypes held by unsophisticated people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ratzap posted:

The topic is something most Europeans and Brits recognise if they visit the US. A film in the US that showed as much skin as say a Danish TV advert would be a 16 or 18 rating. By the same token though a film with a level of violence or gunplay that americans feel ok for children would get the 16 or 18 cert over here.
Britain has moved a lot towards nudity acceptance just in my lifetime and is healthier for it.

I don't recognize any terror. Sure, continental European TV has more nudity than American or Canadian TV, both of which show far more skin than Egyptian or Thai or Chilean TV. No terror of nudity though.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't think making sweet tea supersaturated with sugar is a relic of the agrarian past.

Nor is using butter and bacon fat as staple ingredients.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I'm saying that what we think of when we discuss "Southern Cuisine" usually means dishes that originated as white planter comfort foods (biscuits, gravy, fried chicken, pork and related meats, BBQ, cane sugar, high-fat dairy products, etc) but which became far more available and widespread with the advent of industrialized farming. A more-comprehensive definition would include greens, beans, rice, corn, catfish and crawfish, fruits and nuts, and so forth.

This is true though. To be clear, I wasn't blaming modern American obesity on Southern cuisine, merely explaining where "Southern Cuisine's" association with being fat and sedentary comes from (pre-war plantation owners, who were often fat and sedentary, but for different socioeconomic reasons than modern-day people who are fat and sedentary, and also largely poor).

I think suburban lifestyle and especially suburban urban planning have a lot to do with it too. Australia recently passed the US in prevalence of obesity, and Australia is also a largely suburban nation. Most suburbs are designed for cars, not people. I spent a couple of months in a Dallas suburb last year for work - they didn't even have sidewalks there. People would look at you like you're crazy if you were walking anywhere.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

A lot of the places in the U.S. are so spread out. If you try and walk to a place you better plan for that to be the only place you go that day.

When I go to eastern europe you can walk everywhere because there always seems to be a market/bus stop/stuff right near by.

Sprawl is really a function of the age of a city. Most cities that became true urban areas after 1900 or so sprawl all over the place. Johannesburg makes Houston look like a compact and well-planned city, for example.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I think the US military is a bit too rapey for that to work here.

I admire your edgy stance. It's, like, rad.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Cicero posted:

Being a physically large country gives us the option of sprawling out. It doesn't force us to do that. For example, as pointed out earlier, US cities that got built out prior to cars becoming common tend to be much more walkable. Really, being a big country has more of an obvious impact on the distance between metros, rather than how dense each metro or principal city is.

We easily could have dense mixed-use development if we felt like it. It's just that most cities now have heavy zoning regulations that prevent it, and we tend to subsidize sprawly, car-oriented development one way or another.

There's also the American Dream that requires having a green lawn big enough for a golf course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

pubes nothing, there is whole areas of the body that men are so unaware that women shave that they think a women is somehow sick if she has hair there. Like not morally "sick", physically ill.

For example?

• Locked thread