Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

doverhog posted:

The culture war waged by the Republicans, and the rise of Jesus freaks. Also America doesn't have a healthy sauna culture so they are vulnerable to this kind thing.

There were no Jesus freaks before 1980?

Also, what's your definition for Jesus freaks? Is it just Christians or is it some special group that came into existence in the 80's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

doverhog posted:

Evangelicals, specifically in the context of the political right.

Evangelicals are a couple hundred years old. The OP was specifically talking about recent history.

We used to swim naked and not think anything of it not long ago and evangelical christians in eastern europe swim/wash their cars/bbq in outfits (or lack there of) that would be highly unacceptable in the U.S.

Perhaps it's just a regional thing? Maybe with the advent of the 24 hour news cycle, cable TV, the internet everybody thinks there's a child molester/rapist/pervert around every corner?

I would imagine the sensational cases from the 80's might also have had an effect.

The McMartin preschool trial comes to mind.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Preem Palver posted:

Evangelicals being very politically active, generally along single-issue lines, such as opposition to LGBT rights or access to abortions, started in the late 70s when the Republican Party reached out to white evangelicals to garner voters in response to Roe v. Wade and the general advancement of minority and women's rights in the 60s and 70s. Before that, they were more evenly split between the parties or just didn't vote because they focused on their church and local community rather than government. This Republican outreach to evangelicals and the rise of the religious right is one of the largest factors in the batshit insanity that is American politics today, sparking the overall rightward shift of American politics witnessed over the past 35 years.

Maybe. But I don't think they're the main reason some people have such an issue with public nudity.

And exactly what kind of nudity we talking about here? Just at beaches? Because there are lot's of "pretty close to nude" people there and I really haven't seen it drop off since the 80's. It seems to have increased dramatically.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I think "Southern" here mostly means "White Planter", ie massive quantities of flour, sugar, and animal fats with every meal. Vegetables are fodder for poors, negroes, and other beasts of burden, and for a landed white to eat one is surely a sign of poor racial hygiene, or perhaps even *gasp* Yankee sympathies.

(No really, planter-aristocracy diets were unbalanced as gently caress; coupled with a stalwart belief that manual labor was beneath their dignity, obesity and related conditions were rampant.)

Are you saying you think southern whites were/are not poor?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I'm saying that what we think of when we discuss "Southern Cuisine" usually means dishes that originated as white planter comfort foods (biscuits, gravy, fried chicken, pork and related meats, BBQ, cane sugar, high-fat dairy products, etc) but which became far more available and widespread with the advent of industrialized farming. A more-comprehensive definition would include greens, beans, rice, corn, catfish and crawfish, fruits and nuts, and so forth.

I'm pretty sure white farmers were very poor.

And I know that my great grandmother (who died at 104 and grew up with people who had fought in the civil war) ate biscuits, gravy, and fried chicken.

Hell, those things are super cheap to make.

Do you have any evidence that those food items were only for rich people until recently?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

woke wedding drone posted:

I don't even want to see people's armpits.

Yep. And can you imagine how much grosser public seating would be if people didn't have to wear pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cicero posted:

Yes, part of the issue is driving everywhere, rather than walking/biking (and using transit usually involves walking too). If we want people to exercise more it's gonna be built-in into the environment, few people have the self-discipline to go to the gym/go running consistently for the long term.

If you look at places with relatively low driving rates/high active transport rates like the Netherlands, obesity rates are relatively low for an affluent developed country.

A lot of the places in the U.S. are so spread out. If you try and walk to a place you better plan for that to be the only place you go that day.

When I go to eastern europe you can walk everywhere because there always seems to be a market/bus stop/stuff right near by.

• Locked thread