Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

• The average American woman is 5'5" tall and weighs 163 pounds.
  • The average American female model is 5'11" and weighs 117 pounds.
  • Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women.
  • On any given day, almost half of American women are dieting.
  • Four out of five American women report they are dissatisfied with their appearance.
  • Most marketers of female apparel design their clothes as if they will be worn exclusively by models, with their abnormal dimensions, rather than typical female consumers possessing normal dimensions.

People constantly judge each other based on appearance so it's not like there's no reason for it. I had an overweight ex-girlfriend who had people yell poo poo like "fatty!" out the windows of their cars as they drove by. And just look at this forum. People on this forum constantly mock random people for their appearance.

It's a combination of the extreme anxiety Americans feel about their own bodies, and the lingering religiosity America has always had. Men give less of a poo poo, but it's still there.

I had a conversation once with the chair of the art department at a college I used to go to. They do nude figure drawing classes there, and the best drawings are typically posted up in the hallway display cases. He told me that they frequently get complaints about the nude drawings in the hallway, and not everyone is comfortable with nude models being hired by the school (this is in Texas). It's bizarre to me. This is probably more because of a religious thing, protecting the children, etc.

On the other hand, I visited a clothing-optional hot springs resort in California once, with most of the people fully nude at the various pools, not giving a poo poo. I was uncomfortable being completely nude myself but got over it quickly. Whenever I told other people back home about this trip, they almost always seemed surprised or outright uncomfortable about the idea of a place like that, and when I asked why or if they would go nude themselves at a place like that, they always said no loving way, but it was always because of body image issues and no other reason. It was the same reason for me honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread