Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also the music album is out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

smashpro1 posted:

Paraders of the Lost Float
In light of rain being predicted for the day of a big parade, Teddy tries to persuade Bob to participate in the float contest for a supposedly easy victory.

This is apparently also the season finale!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
God this was so drat good. Gene calling JImmy Pesto Biff was fantastic.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I always enjoy the cranky old art store owners.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Apparently despite this being the season finale, there is one more random episode airing on June 11. So see y'all again in three weeks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
HOT PANTS RAIN DANCE

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The last five episodes have been killing it. While I do think the show is becoming a bit stale at this point, I feel confident in saying that so far there are no truly bad episodes.

Megaspel posted:

Bob's Burgers can sometimes be a bit boring but I loved this episode. It's so very uplifting and all the character dynamics are amazing. I think I prefer it to old Simpsons, which was a bit more mean spirited and pessimistic in general. Bob's Burgers is still pretty pessimistic about the world and stuff, but the characters themselves are so much more positive and find reassurance in each other, it's great.

Well yeah, the Simpsons' entire thing was cynicism and subversiveness. It was one of the first shows to break the mold of endless, soulless, overly positive and perfect family sitcoms. That and cynicism itself was a defining trait of the 90's. Like if you compare children's cartoons of the 90's to today, they were far, far more pessimistic and negative back then. I actually do appreciate that positivity is a newer trend in today's comedies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really miss when this show was more on point with its jokes. I feel like the episodes generally seem to center more on 'feel-good family time' and lessons these days

Electromax
May 6, 2007

smashpro1 posted:

This is apparently also the season finale!

The finale dangles alone on June 11. Don't ask me why.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Electromax posted:

The finale dangles alone on June 11. Don't ask me why.

That's weird, cause they were promoting this one as the season finale.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They obviously had a 22 episode production season and didn't have space for all the episodes.

They are pairing it with a new Fox summer show starting "American Grit" which is why it's not on till the 11th.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really miss when this show was more on point with its jokes. I feel like the episodes generally seem to center more on 'feel-good family time' and lessons these days

I honestly don't notice much of a difference between anything from season 2 onward. Season 1 is perhaps a little more crude and crass. It's always been lighter on jokes, which I remember was one of the main criticisms when it was new. The focus has always been on staying true to it's characters and on stories that are actually interesting rather than just serving as framework for jokes.

I'd go as far as to say that the fact that there are barely any difference between early episodes and season 7 is a testament to their commitment to making this a quality show... though it's also what has made it become a little stale.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'd go as far as to say that the fact that there are barely any difference between early episodes and season 7 is a testament to their commitment to making this a quality show... though it's also what has made it become a little stale.
The animation lost a bit of that rough/stiffness that made S1 interesting to look at. Overall there seems to be less ad-libbing (there are a few S1 jokes where Bob's VA just kind of laughs/says 'whaaaat?' in a very incredulous way). Recent seasons have less characters being established, so the freshness of a new interaction isn't always there -- you know when Tammy shows up that she's going to be mean, self-centered or try and usurp Tina somehow, for example.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

bull3964 posted:

They obviously had a 22 episode production season and didn't have space for all the episodes.

They are pairing it with a new Fox summer show starting "American Grit" which is why it's not on till the 11th.
that's actually the 'american grit' S2 premiere

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

The animation lost a bit of that rough/stiffness that made S1 interesting to look at. Overall there seems to be less ad-libbing (there are a few S1 jokes where Bob's VA just kind of laughs/says 'whaaaat?' in a very incredulous way). Recent seasons have less characters being established, so the freshness of a new interaction isn't always there -- you know when Tammy shows up that she's going to be mean, self-centered or try and usurp Tina somehow, for example.

True, I guess I kind of forgot about the ad-libbed feel of the early episodes. I am okay with not introducing new characters though, since that is a commonly used crutch for shows to fill plotlines. Even worse when they're one-off characters. Probably 2/3rds of post-classic era Simpsons episodes introduce some one time character for the family to react to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The characters feel a lot flatter. For most of the season, Tina's general awkwardness was solely used as a plot point regarding Jimmy Jr., while Louise-centric episodes focused on her being afraid to not grow up. There's more to both of those characters than that one aspect.

bull3964 posted:

Would it kill Fox to not show The OT once in a loving while during football season?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I love that Teddy continues to think his name is Bob Burger.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I honestly don't like Teddy as a regular character. Ever since Larry Murphy got into the regular cast, there have been more episodes with "kids in the main plot/Bob and Linda in the B plot," which are the weakest ones. If I had to describe him as a character, I'd use "desperate" and "lonely." Most importantly, though, I just don't think he has anywhere near the funny moments that the rest of the Belchers do.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Teddy wishing his radio worked slays me every. God. drat. I hear it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will take more of Teddy over most of the other school kids

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Teddy is a great support character. He's a Positive Energy Bill Dauterive

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cyndi-lauper-pen-score-broadway-bound-working-girl-musical-1010838

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Needs more Die Hard

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Man.

They really switched that episode with the parade episode for the last episode of the season. The last episodes of the last few seasons have been pretty strong.

...Only, I guess, people wouldn't have watched the parade episode then?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Yeah, that wasn't so much a finale as it was some kind of bonus episode for having watched the rest of the season, but Bob wearing the harness during the credits was funny, and more Megan Mullally is never a bad thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It was okay, but "Gayle is annoying" and "Bob has to deal with annoying one-off character" are definitely overused plots.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought the Gayle stuff was the best part of that episode. The Bob side plot was eh.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

It was okay, but "Gayle is annoying" and "Bob has to deal with annoying one-off character" are definitely overused plots.

That shouldn't have been your take away. That guy was actually what Bob could have been if he fully indulged his faux-outdoors obsession.

They also should have had Jon Glaser voice the store employee instead of Rob Riggle.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mike_V posted:

That shouldn't have been your take away. That guy was actually what Bob could have been if he fully indulged his faux-outdoors obsession.

That's true, but they do tend to give these characters that Bob is often forced to deal with the same, for lack of a better term, spergy and in-your-face persona. I feel like we've met this character 20 times already which is why the episode doesn't stand out at all for me.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That's true, but they do tend to give these characters that Bob is often forced to deal with the same, for lack of a better term, spergy and in-your-face persona. I feel like we've met this character 20 times already which is why the episode doesn't stand out at all for me.

Yeah but Gayle stealing Linda's Delta Burke story was ... :kiss:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was a very shoegaze-y/dream pop song at the end of the valentine's episode, is it on the album?

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was a very shoegaze-y/dream pop song at the end of the valentine's episode, is it on the album?

The album only has songs through Season 6.

It is on Youtube, though.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I saw this in brussels yesterday and for some reason thought of Bob's Burgers.
maybe a bit :nws:
http://i.imgur.com/vFTy8UP.jpg?1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They ripped that building a new one!

• Locked thread