Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When did Netflix ever have HBO content through streaming? Amazon did at one point, unless you're talking internationally.
I'm pretty sure they did at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure they did at one point

Yeah, I know they had the first and maybe second season of Game of Thrones at one point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

swickles posted:

Yeah, I know they had the first and maybe second season of Game of Thrones at one point.

I'm 110% certain they never had GoT in the US on Netflix.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bull3964 posted:

I'm 110% certain they never had GoT in the US on Netflix.

As am I. I am and have been referring to the US version of Netflix. I've had the streaming since it first started and the only HBO stuff they've ever had is stand-up comedy. That's why HBO Now finally coming out was such a big deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's also why back seasons of HBO Shows coming to Amazon Prime was a bit deal as it marked the first time HBO scripted content was available for streaming without an HBO sub.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Doesn't Crave TV have HBO shows too? Thought I remember seeing an ad about it awhile ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What the hell is Crave TV?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

It's basically off-brand Canadian Netflix.

Its even more pathetic competitor, shomi, finally died the ignominious death it deserved.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember that Netflix once had The Larry Miller Show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

DuhSal posted:

Doesn't Crave TV have HBO shows too? Thought I remember seeing an ad about it awhile ago.
They do have the HBO collection. The reason it's possible is that Bell holds Canadian cable rights to HBO properties because they own The Movie Network which is licensed to simulcast HBO originals when they premiere under the "HBO Canada" subheading.

CraveTV also has simulcast rights with Showtime's 'Billions' somehow, it's honestly shockingly good and slightly less a month than Netflix.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 7, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

PT6A posted:

It's basically off-brand Canadian Netflix.

Its even more pathetic competitor, shomi, finally died the ignominious death it deserved.

Oh man for a minute I thought it was a White Castle focused TV channel and now I'm disappointed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheRationalRedditor posted:

They do have the HBO collection. The reason it's possible is that Bell holds Canadian cable rights to HBO properties because they own The Movie Network which is licensed to simulcast HBO originals when they premiere under the "HBO Canada" subheading.

CraveTV also has simulcast rights with Showtime's 'Billions' somehow, it's honestly shockingly good and slightly less a month than Netflix.

And it's tied in with a lot of cable providers, showing they're willing to work with the tide instead of fighting it constantly.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If tv networks really want me to focus more on torrenting instead of streaming I have no choice but to oblige them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

counterfeitsaint posted:

If tv networks really want me to focus more on torrenting instead of streaming I have no choice but to oblige them.

Right? Apparently TV wants to repeat the same mistakes as the Music industry. Fighting against new mediums instead of embracing and monetizing them. loving idiots. Their only hope of succeeding is via non-market solutions ie regulation which might actually be possible with the current administration.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Another week with two episodes.
Zero Larp Thirty
Linda wins a contest, allowing her a weekend inside the home used to film her favorite TV show; Teddy babysits the kids
The Laser-inth
Bob and Gene go to the planetarium so they can attend the last rock-and-roll laser show being performed there; Linda takes the girls to dinner at a restaurant with some peculiar attractions.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Just want to second that CraveTV is great and I'd drop Netflix if it wasn't for all the original content/kids shows.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

smashpro1 posted:

Another week with two episodes.
Zero Larp Thirty
Linda wins a contest, allowing her a weekend inside the home used to film her favorite TV show; Teddy babysits the kids
The Laser-inth
Bob and Gene go to the planetarium so they can attend the last rock-and-roll laser show being performed there; Linda takes the girls to dinner at a restaurant with some peculiar attractions.

So are they just trying to dump the show or what's going on?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

So are they just trying to dump the show or what's going on?

NBC did the same poo poo with Parks and Recreation in the last few years. They'd put them on hiatus after the holidays, then scramble to air two episodes a week before the season ends in May.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You Do the Meth recovery clinic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course Linda leads a worker revolt.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Jessica St. Claire plays a great crazy lady

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Holy cow, that rap over the credits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hahaha, there's just one Nick.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
This episode was perfection.

"Pretend you're a little girl!"

"I'll try..."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
When the laser rock show starts and gene starts freaking out might be my all time favorite moment in Bobs Burgers. Firstly the laser rock is awesome, & second its such a realistic depiction of being faced with something new and overwhelming as a small child. Bobs burgers always grounds its bits in that kind of realism which is why its such a great show.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Hahaha, there's just one Nick.

Yeah, I loved that part.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, I loved that part.

"Meet me in 3 minutes, bring twenty bucks."
"But I already paid the scalper!"
"I'm not the scalper. I'm just two guys named Nick."

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jerkface posted:

When the laser rock show starts and gene starts freaking out might be my all time favorite moment in Bobs Burgers. Firstly the laser rock is awesome, & second its such a realistic depiction of being faced with something new and overwhelming as a small child. Bobs burgers always grounds its bits in that kind of realism which is why its such a great show.

:agreed:

We really liked that second episode. That's gotta be the first time we've seen Gene actually scared of something.

Also, the Bob & Linda rap is exactly what my wife and I do when we put lyrics on lyricless theme songs. Just not nearly as coordinated or amazing.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

DizzyBum posted:

We really liked that second episode. That's gotta be the first time we've seen Gene actually scared of something.

Also, the Bob & Linda rap is exactly what my wife and I do when we put lyrics on lyricless theme songs. Just not nearly as coordinated or amazing.

Gene is afraid of snakes. He singsa song aboutit!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

DizzyBum posted:

Who designs an experience like that where some people have to serve the other paying guests?

Second ep was better. I liked that Gene acted like a kid instead of a small adult.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Laser-inth is one of my favorite episodes in a long time. Both plots felt really emotionally genuine. Bob and Gene's relationship is one of the least fleshed out on the show so it was nice to see that get some attention, and I always like reminders that Louise is actually a little girl.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I need more Zentipede in my life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The laser show seems like it has some pretty good av material.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Speaking as a teenager that loving loved to go to the Laserium shows in LA's Griffith Observatory (where, for a time, you couldn't flush too many toilets while the show was going on because the drop in water pressure would cause the laser system to freeze up), the episode oversold just how animated they are.

But it completely nailed the Rock Opera plot and experience, complete with mushy chairs.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait why did the toilets break the lasers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Wait why did the toilets break the lasers

im guessing an older building with older plumbing which has a state of the art (for the time) water cooled laser system

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boner confessor posted:

im guessing an older building with older plumbing which has a state of the art (for the time) water cooled laser system
Yep, exactly right.

Was it just me or was their observatory smack dab in the middle of the town? (Light pollution!)

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Pakled posted:

The Laser-inth is one of my favorite episodes in a long time. Both plots felt really emotionally genuine. Bob and Gene's relationship is one of the least fleshed out on the show so it was nice to see that get some attention, and I always like reminders that Louise is actually a little girl.

Zero One posted:

Who designs an experience like that where some people have to serve the other paying guests?

Second ep was better. I liked that Gene acted like a kid instead of a small adult.

These comments really put a finger on why this episode was so great. There's been some talk about this show losing it's way lately because the kids stopped acting like kids at some point and started acting like little adults who just deliver punchlines and zingers. I missed episodes with this sort of characterization and dynamic.

Even little lines like "We like Gretchen, she's your friend that swears!" felt true to the character of a mischevious little girl in a way that alot of recent episodes haven't. I felt like the writers were admitting as much with "Pretend you're a little girl." "Okay I'll try".

There have been a few moments in this show that had tears welling up in my eyes a little bit. Bob and Gene sitting in the parking lot listening to Zentipede was one of them. Of course Gene would love his dad's rock operas!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I keep saying the best Bob's Burgers episodes are the ones involving Bob and one of the kids. The Laser-inth was a great example of that. The one-liners weren't forced, the B plot was good, and it was genuinely touching. That's the sort of stuff that's been a bit absent of late (although the last few episodes have been better).

Randandal posted:

Of course Gene would love his dad's rock operas!
Rock-sperience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Zero One posted:

I don't know of any LARPs that do that specifically (though it sounds like something people would attend as a fetish thing), but I've been to LARPs where the worldbuilding had a hierarchy that the characters were involved in (World of Darkness et al) and they have the same problem this one did: as Linda pointed out, no one wants to go play pretend for a weekend after living a lower class existence only to get more of the same in the fantasy world you're supposed to be immersing yourself in. People want to be the Winthopes, not their servants. (Some groups are better at catering to the "lower" players than others, but in general, the focus tends to shift to the higher ranked characters that have been there longer and the players that play them. While everyone else just sits around hearing about all the cool stuff they could be doing.)

• Locked thread