Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Seraph is a run & gun platformer with lots of acrobatics, random exploration, and the ability to literally SMITE your foes. Developed by Dreadbit and originally in Early Access, the full version released recently on Sept. 20. Normally $12.99, it's down to $8.44 until the 27th.

You play as the Seraph, a heavenly being trapped within a human vessel aboard a prison ship. Daemons start causing poo poo on the ship to go down and it's up to you and your best Lara Croft impression to send them back whence they came.

Auto-aiming: Doing some of the hard work for you, Seraph is smart enough to point her guns where they need to go, letting you focus on all the fun dodging stuff. Getting flanked by enemies? Watch her pistols cut them off at the pass. When necessary, you can have her focus her fire on specific targets, but otherwise it's a very smooth and snappy system.

Acrobatic poo poo: Double-jump, wall jump, and cartwheel around all sorts of danger. Also you get a handy Blink ability to teleport through enemies/projectiles or to reach otherwise inaccessible areas.

Randomness: Every level is procedurely generated; explore new regions for daemonic scum to render with bullets, raid lockers & storerooms to keep yourself properly armed, and fight for your life through monster generators & security lockdowns.

Dynamic difficulty: The more you kill and the better you get at it, the faster the difficulty climbs. Enemies get more numerous and gain new attacks & other nasty surprises, but so do the rewards once you smack them down. If you're constantly getting mauled, the difficulty eases up... to an extent. Different starting difficulty settings let take the slow approach, or step feet first into Hell.

Progression: Craft new weapons, defensive items and special attacks (Miracles) from whatever you find, carrying them on to your future battles. For the truly insane, there's also a CoD-style "rebirth" system that lets you trade in all your progression for unique permanent bonuses.

And the rest of the gifs cause this game is sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Reserved for things.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This looks really cool. Going to purchase.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
But do you ever get shoes?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just tried out the challenges, there's two of them. A daily one that looks to be a short area with special conditions (today's was grab boxes in a series of rooms as fast as possible). The other is a weekly "survival" challenge that gives you a permanent game over once all your lives are gone, but your leaderboard score is based on how many motes you pick up and every player gets the same stage and weapon placement layouts.

You also get rewards that transfer into the main game, a small one from participating and then extras based on what percentile you fall into when the event's over.

On that note... come at me. :smug:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

For anyone interested, the sale on this ends in a couple hours.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

iastudent posted:

For anyone interested, the sale on this ends in a couple hours.

I picked up the game because of this thread. It's pretty drat fun with some cool combat just zipping and jumping around jizzing out bullets on demon thingys. But man it sometimes seems random as hell when I get hit and using Smite basically always gets me damaged--really feels like it should grant some invuln frames. Also my brain cannot handle spamming Revolver while jumping and blinking around at all :(

My biggest problem is all the levels are the exact same goal--kill Demon Fountain--run to door so far. And it takes a little too long to have variation in backgrounds--especially since the first like 10 levels are kinda ugly.

What sort of Miracles have you been running?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 28, 2016

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

I picked up the game because of this thread. It's pretty drat fun with some cool combat just zipping and jumping around jizzing out bullets on demon thingys. But man it sometimes seems random as hell when I get hit and using Smite basically always gets me damaged--really feels like it should grant some invuln frames. Also my brain cannot handle spamming Revolver while jumping and blinking around at all :(

My biggest problem is all the levels are the exact same goal--kill Demon Fountain--run to door so far. And it takes a little too long to have variation in backgrounds--especially since the first like 10 levels are kinda ugly.

What sort of Miracles have you been running?

I can see the lack of invuln frames as trying to encourage you to thin out the enemies before going in for the Smite. That said, I'm tempted to agree with you.

One of the main things re: enemy attacks is that every enemy has a symbol appear over their body before they attack indicating the type of attack and properties (orange = physical, purple = unholy). Of course, as the difficulty goes up enemies get more aggressive, but it's something you get used to looking out for as you play.

As for Miracles, I've mostly played around with Orb and Embrace. Orb's really good for pegging enemies in a line and the double damage as it boomerangs around makes it useful as well for fountains, and Embrace is useful for when you're getting surrounded. It can be a bit tricky to keep enemies in range of it sometimes when you're getting swarmed. Next playthrough I'm gonna give Comet and Sigil a go.

EDIT: On another note, today's daily challenge is an interesting change from recent. Survival-based with your accuracy graded as well. Hanging onto 3rd at the moment with ~1 million behind 1st, but still within range for the top 10% bonus.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 29, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is this on consoles or are there any plans for that?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I never really understood the point of different damages, something about Wards or something. They never really explained Holy vs Regular damage or whatever. I guess I've been neglecting to upgrade them because I mostly just transmute the coins into Metal or or pick up whatever when mine is gone.\

But yeah Orb is really good. I'm going to ditch Repel since it has a long CD and ultimately not that useful with blink.

Also I really picked some god drat stupid skill upgrades like I thought damage on Smite would be good, but no, it's most definitely a deathtrap and seems to do a lot less than 100 damage it claims.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is this on consoles or are there any plans for that?

The original announcement trailer shows a PS4 logo at the end. Hopefully there will be some confirmation on that soon.

Xaris posted:

I never really understood the point of different damages, something about Wards or something. They never really explained Holy vs Regular damage or whatever. I guess I've been neglecting to upgrade them because I mostly just transmute the coins into Metal or or pick up whatever when mine is gone.\

It's something that could be a lot better communicated, but if you look in the Codex under the Play menu, it lists each of the Daemons and their attack types. In general, you're contending more with physical damage early game and late game you're more often to find daemons with unholy attacks.

As for Wards, I haven't upgraded them much at all. Having one is generally better than not at all but the biggest thing upgrades seem to do so far is increasing how many hits they take before breaking.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 29, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This is the first I've heard of this game, I'll have to look into it when I get home. Seems like it might be kind of Nuclear Throne-y in premise, if not exactly in execution. Could be fun!

Is this better played with a controller or a KB+M? I have both, just wondering if one is more smooth and intuitive than the other in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bumping this since it's out on PS4 today.

• Locked thread