Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's not really dystopia... well, it is a bit, but how about the Culture series by the regrettably late Iain M. Banks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Way too far into time and space, although the examinations of AI/human relationship could be interesting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pun pundit posted:

Otherland by Tad Williams is cyberpunk as hell and also thick as a brick, I highly recommend it.

I'll second this. Also it isn't thick as a brick, it's literally thick as four bricks. Great read, though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

pun pundit posted:

Otherland by Tad Williams is cyberpunk as hell and also thick as a brick, I highly recommend it.

Thirding this series, it's a hell of a read even if the author isn't kidding about an all in one version being so big it would need a circus tent for a cover.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Thirding this series, it's a hell of a read even if the author isn't kidding about an all in one version being so big it would need a circus tent for a cover.
I don't know, it always felt pretty boring to me. About the only interesting thing about it is that the book about an MMORPG was actually turned into an MMORPG... which IIRC made it as far as Steam Early Access.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The culture isn't really dystopic in the slightest bit everyone should read them. The differences between inorganic and inorganic life forms is probably worth a look along with some other elements, but the culture don't really do a lot of mechanical augmentations, they're really into biological ones.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B

Spatula City posted:

Gravity's Rainbow :buddy:

This one I don't see fitting in- WW2, rocketry, and generally freaky sex do not a conspiracy thriller make.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Spatula City posted:

I assume you're covering a Phillip K. Dick book, Bobbin. So much of what cyberpunk and transhumanism is could already be seen in his work.

Other suggestions, some not quite what you were looking for, but possibly relevant:

The Illuminatus Trilogy

A thousand times this. Though not full of cybertechnology, Robert Anton Wilson knows conspiracy. poo poo load of conspiracy. And he made fun of other conspiracies.

He died before all the birthers and truthers started sneaking into mainstream media. We lost him way too soon.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Would the first Mad Max be considered pre-apocalyptic dystopia? The world didn't get nuked into a desert hellhole with S&M warlords until the second one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Would the first Mad Max be considered pre-apocalyptic dystopia? The world didn't get nuked into a desert hellhole with S&M warlords until the second one.

I don't think that movie really covers emerging technology like Bobbin suggested. All of the tech is contemporary to the 1970s and 1980s, so it's basically just an Australian exploitation movie that nominally takes place in the future to justify all the violence.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

kalonZombie posted:

I'd call it more mid-apocalyptic - society is falling apart, and is probably beyond fixing, but it's still just managing to hold together in some places.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

I may be way off on this as it's been an age since I saw the first 3, but there was never a nuke in Mad Max was there? Civilization just collapsed due to a lack of oil right?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Something that those movies never explained: why are they hanging out in the desert instead of the more hospitable coastal regions? Australia is big and thinly populated enough that it seems unlikely that any apocalypse would render all of the coast uninhabitable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because it wouldn't make for such dramatic, desolate scenery?

e: Anyhow, another idea off the top of my head: Starfish by Peter Watts deals with mental implications of using augmentation to adapt humans for extreme conditions. It's a pretty HR book that way, the relationship of man and machine and just where is the difference when the man machine breaks down.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 2, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Something that those movies never explained: why are they hanging out in the desert instead of the more hospitable coastal regions? Australia is big and thinly populated enough that it seems unlikely that any apocalypse would render all of the coast uninhabitable.

There's no coast anymore because there's no ocean anymore. Or not anywhere near Australia, anyway. I'm not sure if it's something that's touched on in the first couple of movies, but Fury Road establishes that there's "nothing but salt out there", and the Mad Max videogame (which admittedly may not be canon) has you driving around former seabed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Because it wouldn't make for such dramatic, desolate scenery?

e: Anyhow, another idea off the top of my head: Starfish by Peter Watts deals with mental implications of using augmentation to adapt humans for extreme conditions. It's a pretty HR book that way, the relationship of man and machine and just where is the difference when the man machine breaks down.

Blindsight would be a pretty good one too - a space journey to a comet near Neptune with a crew that's been genetically seeded with pre-human "vampire" genes as an adaptation to prolonged space travel. Slightly outside of the specified territory but as I recall it's a desperate bleeding-edge tech mission and human space travel isn't particularly widespread in the setting.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Paused posted:

I may be way off on this as it's been an age since I saw the first 3, but there was never a nuke in Mad Max was there? Civilization just collapsed due to a lack of oil right?

In the first movie this is the case, and then between movies 1 and 2 humanity flips the gently caress out due to lack of oil and nukes each other into oblivion, making the rising waters recede and turn the world into a desert.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

I'm a fan of "ridiculously muscular dude with inexplicable wolf head" And "Tiger with human arms coming out of it's shoulders" as far as those russian book covers go.

Tiger with human arms in the shoulder you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFY6-qD7igA

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

News: Motor City
Book: Resist The Machine
Book: The Sleepwalking World
Email: RE: Temporary Disruption of Services
Email: RE: overtime
PS: Last-Minute Details

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Holy crap I wish I knew about that suppressed sniper rifle on the roof. It would've made my current run much easier. I just got to the game's second hub world and I still haven't found one. My tricked-out assault rifle does the job well enough I suppose.

I honestly can't play this game without the crosshair and object highlights, which is a shame since they add so much ugly noise to your screen. I have a hard time spotting objects lying in the copious amounts of litter that's spread all over the levels. The first Deus Ex didn't have this problem thanks to the somewhat bare background environment, but here everything is an odd shade of yellow that blends everything together.

As a french speaker, I always get a bit annoyed when people pronounce "Guy" as "gaļ" instead of "ghee". I'm not sure if I'm the only one with that particular nitpick.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Elth posted:

Holy crap I wish I knew about that suppressed sniper rifle on the roof. It would've made my current run much easier. I just got to the game's second hub world and I still haven't found one. My tricked-out assault rifle does the job well enough I suppose.

I honestly can't play this game without the crosshair and object highlights, which is a shame since they add so much ugly noise to your screen. I have a hard time spotting objects lying in the copious amounts of litter that's spread all over the levels. The first Deus Ex didn't have this problem thanks to the somewhat bare background environment, but here everything is an odd shade of yellow that blends everything together.

As a french speaker, I always get a bit annoyed when people pronounce "Guy" as "gaļ" instead of "ghee". I'm not sure if I'm the only one with that particular nitpick.

"Gai" is how you pronounce the name in English. Not much else I can really say about that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Elth posted:

It's only in Director's Cut or as a pre-order bonus in the original HR IIRC. Nice injection of money at least.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tylana posted:

It's only in Director's Cut or as a pre-order bonus in the original HR IIRC. Nice injection of money at least.

Yeah the Director's cut version actually added all the pre-order items out in the first area more or less logically while the base game just gave you them at the start of this mission. So you started off with stuff dropping at your feet because it couldn't fit in the starting inventory.

Could've sworn I've read that the title for Fahrenheit 451 is actually somewhat incorrect as the temperature is actually higher/lower.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Mad Max 1 is very much not PA and was just about society falling to poo poo. Not sure if Miller was making a commentary about Australia or just wanted to make something hella violent or what. It's more of a general degradation of society and not one because of technology or anything.

The world done got blowed up good afterwards while the same people really really wanted oil and then people proceeded to bomb around the desert in rad asf cars.

That bit is probably a little bit of commentary on human nature.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Small note regarding painkillers and the like, not only do they heal past 100 they're double effective healing up to 100. If you're less than 100 they will heal 10, with how little 5 health means in this game I preferred to use them in this way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah the Director's cut version actually added all the pre-order items out in the first area more or less logically while the base game just gave you them at the start of this mission. So you started off with stuff dropping at your feet because it couldn't fit in the starting inventory.

Could've sworn I've read that the title for Fahrenheit 451 is actually somewhat incorrect as the temperature is actually higher/lower.

The way the story goes, Bradbury asked the UCLA physics department about the temperature at which book paper burns, but they didn't have an answer. He asked the chemistry department next, but they were equally stumped. He then got an idea and called up the local fire department. Their response was prompt: "451 degrees Fahrenheit." At that point, it didn't matter whether the fire chief was right or not. Bradbury had his title.

CheeseThief posted:

Small note regarding painkillers and the like, not only do they heal past 100 they're double effective healing up to 100. If you're less than 100 they will heal 10, with how little 5 health means in this game I preferred to use them in this way.

Painkillers got me to 125 health. It's the beer that gets me 5.

hike77
Dec 10, 2010
Thank You so much for all the work you put into your LP's, It is really appreciated.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The way the story goes, Bradbury asked the UCLA physics department about the temperature at which book paper burns, but they didn't have an answer. He asked the chemistry department next, but they were equally stumped. He then got an idea and called up the local fire department. Their response was prompt: "451 degrees Fahrenheit." At that point, it didn't matter whether the fire chief was right or not. Bradbury had his title.

Yeah pretty much, it was just some trivia I remember reading at some point.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Does New Game + mode automatically upgrade everything, or just give you a lot of Praxis? It'd be interesting to do a playthough where you immediately upgrade all the stuff that's just really annoying not to have early on (mostly all the battery upgrades and the social enhancer) and gradually put points into everything else over the rest of the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

It's between 440 and 470 degrees depending on the paper.

SpookyLizard posted:

Mad Max 1 is very much not PA and was just about society falling to poo poo. Not sure if Miller was making a commentary about Australia or just wanted to make something hella violent or what. It's more of a general degradation of society and not one because of technology or anything.

The world done got blowed up good afterwards while the same people really really wanted oil and then people proceeded to bomb around the desert in rad asf cars.

That bit is probably a little bit of commentary on human nature.

Miller was an emergency room surgeon who often saw gruesome car accident victims during his work, and he lost friends to car crashes. He happened to be an amateur filmmaker as well, so he decided to make a movie about that kind of subject. He wanted the violence to actually be believable in the context of the modern world, so he decided to set it in an indeterminate future where society is collapsing but everything else is basically the same as contemporary times. They were also inspired by the 1970s oil crisis and the violence inflicted in the name of getting fuel. The movie was an Ozploitation flick for the most part and had a mixed reception, but it earned enough money to let Miller do a sequel that turned out gigantic.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"Safe Space" is still the earlier concept, but now it's a "bigger deal" because places actually now have the power to go tell people who previously had unchecked power to go anywhere without being criticized or even told to gently caress off, and the latter then starts seeing themselves as freedom of speech martyrs.

poo poo, in the last few years folk almost happily sold the idea of nuking North Korea because of a mildly crummy comedy getting mildly delayed and turning a few more countries on the Middle East into rubble because their populaces started protesting outside around the time a youtube video popped up at some point. The idea of "Oh no, we're going to become book burners" because more people can tell former authorities to go gently caress themselves then goes from "mildly annoying" to "almost practical to excuse it to crush countries to nitwits raised on Bill Hicks" (Also, it's rather amusing not seeing the types to go defend racist fools to go on a college without hearing a "gently caress Off", but then keep mild when BDS folk and anti-fracking folk are shunned and arrested)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 3, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Does New Game + mode automatically upgrade everything, or just give you a lot of Praxis? It'd be interesting to do a playthough where you immediately upgrade all the stuff that's just really annoying not to have early on (mostly all the battery upgrades and the social enhancer) and gradually put points into everything else over the rest of the game.

It gives me all the Praxis and all the upgrades I earned on previous playthroughs. Since I played through the game on New Game + once before, it gave me two playthroughs worth of Praxis and upgrades, which is why I start out with everything active and still have a giant lump of Praxis on top of it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It gives me all the Praxis and all the upgrades I earned on previous playthroughs. Since I played through the game on New Game + once before, it gave me two playthroughs worth of Praxis and upgrades, which is why I start out with everything active and still have a giant lump of Praxis on top of it.
Would be nice if it converted the upgrades you had earned on previous playthroughs into the equivalent number of praxis points so you could try out different kinds of runs, but I understand why they did it that way considering it's New Game +.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like to post this song in every LP of this game as it is amazing and everyone should enjoy it.

That said, Bobbin this is going great so far and I cant wait to see where you go with it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I hope your choice to take nonlethal or lethal approaches to a mission is entirely based on where the people you are going up against rate on the rear end in a top hat Scale. These guys are just a bunch of random street thugs who have no idea what they're getting into, in the grand scale of things that's like a 3 out of 10 at worst in the Deus Ex universe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

in the grand scale of things that's like a 3 out of 10 at worst in the Deus Ex universe.
That cold actually be a pretty interesting scale. What's the benchmarks, Jaime Reyes to Bob Page?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

That cold actually be a pretty interesting scale. What's the benchmarks, Jaime Reyes to Bob Page?
Bob Page is definitely 10. Hadn't thought of 1. 1 is at least sort of an rear end in a top hat, though, and Reyes is a cool guy, so I don't think he's even on the scale.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

As Bobbin said, he gets to keep all the upgrades he had.

Rather annoyingly, weapons don't carry over, so if you had spent ages getting your pistol modded to hell, you had to kiss it goodbye at the end of the game.

Anyway, a bit of Director's Cut commentary trivia that I can remember: This plant was the first major area designed, and it's plain to tell that they don't adapt to the AI's weaknesses until after this. It's pretty easy to get away with stuff in the plant that the designers countered later on in the game. As has also been mentioned here in this thread, the DLC pre-order weapons are handled different between HR and the DC: In the base game, you just got handed all of the weapons from the word go, meaning if you didn't grab the first inventory augment right away, you were pretty screwed in inventory space. In the DC, it's handled more organically, and you just come across all of the weapons scattered across the map, usually in places that suit the weapon's use- so the sniper rifle is overlooking some easily shootable goons, the shotgun's given to you before a close range fight, and so on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JT Jag posted:

Bob Page is definitely 10. Hadn't thought of 1. 1 is at least sort of an rear end in a top hat, though, and Reyes is a cool guy, so I don't think he's even on the scale.

Pritchard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you get a headshot with the tranq rifle it's near instant, if you get a body shot they have enough time to notice you and raise an alarm if you're close enough.

And yes on medium difficulty your two default batteries will recharge rather than just the one.

e: I'm loving your use of NeoTokyo music. It's an amazing soundtrack to a game that I've never played.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 3, 2016

• Locked thread