Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Aerdan posted:

Bristol is about 84% white (and fine arts being what it is, 90% of the fine arts dept faculty is also white), and the student body may trend more diverse than either or both of those numbers. However, I don't think anyone explained to the students complaining that Aida was written by an Italian, that Egyptians aren't black (but may be olive-skinned), or that cultural awareness necessitates exposure to other cultures even if that means the actors and actresses in the play aren't in the ethnic group(s) explored in the play. Even with all that aside, however, 'cultural appropriation' doesn't really apply unless the individuals doing the 'appropriating' are being ignorant and offensive—which isn't the case here.

Thing is, it wasn't the opera by Verdi that was going to be performed, but the musical based on it with music composed by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice, both English. Exactly whose culture would a bunch of (presumably) English students be appropriating by performing a play created by English people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kopijeger posted:

Thing is, it wasn't the opera by Verdi that was going to be performed, but the musical based on it with music composed by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice, both English. Exactly whose culture would a bunch of (presumably) English students be appropriating by performing a play created by English people?

Arguably they're accessories to the original appropriation which was a bunch of Englishmen creating a play about Ancient Egyptians and Nubians.

Kopijeger posted:

The one thing that seems so bizarre about this "Cleopatra was Black" idea is that nobody seems to allege that any of the previous rulers of her dynasty were black.

And her dynasty was rather infamous for its incest.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

monster on a stick posted:

Funny you mention opera. I saw a production of "The Marriage of Figaro" earlier this year that featured a Chinese singer doing Figaro (and doing a magnificent job, his name is Shenyang if you ever get the chance to see him perform), with his mother played by a white and his father played by a black and nobody cared because they were all really good. They cast a black woman (Mary Elizabeth Williams) as Elizabeth I in "Mary Stuart." And then they had a mostly white cast in "The Pearl Fishers" which takes place in Sri Lanka (good luck finding South Asian opera singers), and (for the first opera of the year) cast the black Lawrence Brownlee as the French count in "Count Ory." I'd say that if you care once they start singing, then they probably weren't the best fit for the role.

Oh yes absolutely, I only commented because, as an opera performer myself I have never seen anything like this before because, like you said, the people that are usually hired were hired because they sound awesome and that is all that should matter. Again doing something like Porgy and Bess maaaaaaybe requires a little more planning than "I really like Gershwin and want to put this on" :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
based on that one promo image i'm pretty sure the racism chat is more appropriate for the sequel to this game :v:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Speaking of racism, according to Eurogamer this message is included in the game Mafia III:

Having played the first two Mafia game myself, it seems to me that this trilogy of games could make good material for an LP discussing how organised crime in general and Italian- and African-american crime gangs in particular are depicted in fiction and the media in general, maybe relevant parts of 20th century history as well. So, a question for Bobbin: Have you ever considered doing an LP of the Mafia games?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

based on that one promo image i'm pretty sure the racism chat is more appropriate for the sequel to this game :v:

I have two words for you: "WELL, SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't know about the sequel, but the first one had some wonderful voice acting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

Speaking of racism, according to Eurogamer this message is included in the game Mafia III:

Having played the first two Mafia game myself, it seems to me that this trilogy of games could make good material for an LP discussing how organised crime in general and Italian- and African-american crime gangs in particular are depicted in fiction and the media in general, maybe relevant parts of 20th century history as well. So, a question for Bobbin: Have you ever considered doing an LP of the Mafia games?

Mafia II is one of my favorite games, so I'd definitely argue that Bobbin could do a good exploration of it. It seems at first like it's going to be one of the innumerable GTA clones that came out in the past 10 years, but it's actually a pretty slow-paced drama done in the style of a TV series. It does have a fuckton of anachronisms though, especially the music in the 1950s even having 1960s songs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kopijeger posted:

I've also played the first two Mafia games, so I'm aware they have a better-than-average story to them. Haven't given much thought to LP'ing them, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I keep waking up early these days.

PS: FWD: Weapon Restock
Book: Sarif Industries: Rising to Tomorrow
PS: The Heist
PS: Office Computers
Book: Global Politics Review [2026 Edition] Chapter 3
Email: Maintaining Plant Security
Email: Typhoon Production Schedules
Email: PROJECT 022010
Email: specs
Email: New shipment in
Email: PROJECT 022010 (again)
Book: Artificial Muscles
Email: Crisis situation
Email: URGENT RESPONSE NEEDED

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Not true, you can buy the tranq rifle.

Stun Gun is also good for stunning cameras/turrets and I believe robots without setting off alarms, it's why I go for that one.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 10, 2016

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

BenRGamer posted:

Stun Gun is also good for stunning cameras/turrets and I believe robots without setting off alarms, it's why I go for that one.

The fact that you replenish it wish "darts" is a bit odd, but yes. Stun gun is good for this.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Commentary Trivia:

It is, in fact, possible to kill turrets by throwing a trash can at it. It took the guy who set his mind to it about 35 minutes before it died.

Jensen uses the arm blades instead of a gun in the cutscene with the hacker, as the devs needed to accommodate for players not using guns (Speaking of, I love how the game doesn't skip the details and makes it clear that a pistol shot to the head will blow most of it off).

Sanders's social boss was done before the CASIE mod was meant to be used by the player- originally, Adam would go to LIMB clinics to be augmented with extra augs. When this system was replaced with the Praxis Kits, it was too late to change Sander's boss, so it was instead decided to limit the player in XP gained. Unless you knock out every enemy, explore every vent and hack every computer, you're not going to have enough points to get the CASIE by this point. That said, the CASIE does have a few bits of intel on Zeke.

Josie Thorpe is one of the only characters to have a body type different from the others seen in the game. This is supposedly thanks to the Unreal engine limitations making it easier for everyone to be stuck to one bodytype.

The devs make it a point of pride that you can go back through the entire plant now, with the police having gone through and cuffed the thugs. It's a good way to go back and grab anything you missed.

Finally, Josie's laptop is the first instance of the Nigerian Email Scams seen in the game. Originally, these were a full collectable in the game, and you'd get an achievement for finding them, but this got cut. That said, the emails are all still in the game, and there is one in every map in the game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Also, if you're going for a lethal playthrough, there's a cop up near the meeting rooms in the final office area that is nice and isolated from everyone. You can knock him out, drag his body into a meeting room, take his combat rifle, and leave scott free. Even if you aren't doing a lethal playthough, it's worth it since the gun sells for a fair chunk of change.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
Edit:

Alex0080 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 26, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GoneRampant posted:

The devs make it a point of pride that you can go back through the entire plant now, with the police having gone through and cuffed the thugs. It's a good way to go back and grab anything you missed.
Ghosting every area up until the boss fight, then heading back to knock everyone the hell out and loot everything is an option in almost every single level. There are no gang members to knock out in the plant if you head back (for obvious reasons) but still.

And Josie is our first (but by no means last) dialog-tree Parkinson's disease sufferer.

That hacker was augmented so subtly that there was absolutely no way for Sanders to tell.

kalonZombie posted:

Also, if you're going for a lethal playthrough, there's a cop up near the meeting rooms in the final office area that is nice and isolated from everyone. You can knock him out, drag his body into a meeting room, take his combat rifle, and leave scott free. Even if you aren't doing a lethal playthough, it's worth it since the gun sells for a fair chunk of change.
There are dozens of cops just like that scattered around the upcoming hub area - just knock them out one at a time and sell their rifles off.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 21, 2017

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

This is more a general gameplay question than an LP question, but is there ever a way to safely store items? I'm a huge hoarder and the inventory feels so limited even with all the upgrades. If I just drop items on the floor, will they disappear eventually?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On the topic of the movie, when thinkin of showing the terminator movies to an uninitiated audience, I've often wondered whether to jump straight to T2 or show the first movie as well. It doesn't hold up quite as well and is a lot less interesting than T2 imo but on the other hand there are so many callbacks during the first half of T2 (and the audience misdirect depends on you assuming a rehashed plot) that I don't know which is better.

Elth posted:

This is more a general gameplay question than an LP question, but is there ever a way to safely store items? I'm a huge hoarder and the inventory feels so limited even with all the upgrades. If I just drop items on the floor, will they disappear eventually?

Maaaybe? But there's no point. think of the game as more mission-based with permanent inventory and manage your equipment accordingly. You'll go insane otherwise I'm pretty sure.

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 10, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I sort of like Genesys, it's an absolutely terrible Terminator movie but it's at least a dumb and schlocky popcorn movie as opposed to 3 which was just dumb and 4 which was actively painful to watch.

Elth posted:

The contents of Jensen's apartment are sacrosanct, and maintained even when you leave and return to the city.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

One of my favorite dumb details in this map is that one password is "redwings". Because they're in Detroit.

Forget everything else; that blew me away. Of course someone has a sports team as their password.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

double nine posted:

On the topic of the movie, when thinkin of showing the terminator movies to an uninitiated audience, I've often wondered whether to jump straight to T2 or show the first movie as well. It doesn't hold up quite as well and is a lot less interesting than T2 imo but on the other hand there are so many callbacks during the first half of T2 (and the audience misdirect depends on you assuming a rehashed plot) that I don't know which is better.

I support showing people the first two movies and recommending they avoid the rest. Terminator 2 relies pretty heavily on callbacks to the first movie to understand things like Sarah Connor's reaction to the T-800 and the recovered arm and CPU from the first terminator.

That said, you can ignore the rest of the Terminator series. It's nowhere near as good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh yeah - "putting the genie back in the bottle". Even leaving aside such obvious examples as knowledge being lost due to civilization collapse (we only got back to the Roman level of competence in treating battlefield casualties around the 19th century) there are many examples of inventions being held back or reinvented decades if not centuries later, after the original inventor decided to shelf them. Not quite forever, but more than enough for the purposes specified. (Never mind that those are just the inventions we know about)

Edit - yeah, Greek fire is probably the go-to example.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 10, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Damascus steel.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rather Watch Them posted:

One of my favorite dumb details in this map is that one password is "redwings". Because they're in Detroit.

Forget everything else; that blew me away. Of course someone has a sports team as their password.

Like the password on the door, details like that show that the game devs do care about the little things that makes it feel like a bigger world. Like the pointless fluff e-mails about recycling.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I support showing people the first two movies and recommending they avoid the rest. Terminator 2 relies pretty heavily on callbacks to the first movie to understand things like Sarah Connor's reaction to the T-800 and the recovered arm and CPU from the first terminator.

That said, you can ignore the rest of the Terminator series. It's nowhere near as good.

Oh I agree on the other three but it's a bit of a hard sell to say "this movie is okay but the one after is great - so let's not watch the great one and watch the decent one".

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah - "putting the genie back in the bottle". Even leaving aside such obvious examples as knowledge being lost due to civilization collapse (we only got back to the Roman level of competence in treating battlefield casualties around the 19th century) there are many examples of inventions being held back or reinvented decades if not centuries later, after the original inventor decided to shelf them. Not quite forever, but more than enough for the purposes specified. (Never mind that those are just the inventions we know about)

Edit - yeah, Greek fire is probably the go-to example.

That's not exactly putting the genie back in the bottle so much as it is losing both the genie and the bottle in a house fire because you kept the summoning ritual to yourself instead of printing it in a scientific journal. Still, I can see how your examples would apply in the case of Terminator 2 and breaking the self-fulfilling cycle of the first movie. I was mostly saying how this resolution is, as a Cold War/atom bomb metaphor, wishful thinking at best.

Edit: Plus all those technologies were eventually rediscovered or equaled in the end, which is that "element of despair" I mentioned.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 10, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Speaking of Terminator 2, here's a hella good song made entirely from T2 soundbites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlS_Rnb5WM4

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Machine uprisings have always seemed like a very capitalist fear to me. They're usually presented as a slave uprising with the oppressed machines rebelling to kill their oppressors. The other kind of rebellion is when the robots just decide to kill humans because it's "logical" or "efficient". Which is what more advanced civilizations have done since history began. In other words it's the fear of an upper class losing their position in the world, either by having their inferiors remove them, or someone who's more advanced coming along and displacing them.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You know what occurred to me during the A/V corner on Terminator 2? A T-1000 could make a really good central antagonist for a survival horror/action computer game. I'm thinking in the same sort of mould as the alien in Alien: Isolation. Shooting it a bunch only resulting in temporarily disabling it could maintain the tension while also satisfying the general computer game urge to... shoot things a bunch.

Some interesting possibilities with its shape-shifting ability, too; any NPC/lower-grade enemy you meet could be the T-1000 in disguise.

On Human Revolution; ugh, the "social battles". I think they're an interesting idea, but man, I have enough worrying that I'm going to say completely the wrong thing in my day to day life. I don't want to deal with it in computer games too. I haven't played Mankind Divided yet - mainly because of the Australia Tax - but I'm hoping that they made it more possible/practical to avoid the social battles this time around. (Ideally without feeling like a sociopathic jerk in the process.)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

White Coke posted:

Machine uprisings have always seemed like a very capitalist fear to me. They're usually presented as a slave uprising with the oppressed machines rebelling to kill their oppressors.
The coining of the term "Robot",

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

White Coke posted:

Machine uprisings have always seemed like a very capitalist fear to me. They're usually presented as a slave uprising with the oppressed machines rebelling to kill their oppressors. The other kind of rebellion is when the robots just decide to kill humans because it's "logical" or "efficient". Which is what more advanced civilizations have done since history began. In other words it's the fear of an upper class losing their position in the world, either by having their inferiors remove them, or someone who's more advanced coming along and displacing them.

I think that's why progressive science fiction tends to have more of an affinity for positive portrayals of AI, and stories that assert the personhood of artificial lifeforms. Star Trek was always on the cutting edge of that, and in the character of Data in The Next Generation, it articulated a coherent idea of posthuman rights. Stories that are paranoid about artificial lifeforms seem fundamentally conservative to me. It comes down to taking an expansive view of human rights versus a narrow one, or not really articulating one at all beyond a cockeyed interpretation of what's in the Constitution.

Kinda interesting to me how the most recent popular robot film, Ex Machina, took it in a somewhat feminist direction, while also doing the classic "but what if man is the real monster?" thing.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Aw, you didn't do the hidden fifth way to deal with Zeke and Jodie.

Charge up to them and use the double takedown aug to punch both of them the gently caress out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

White Coke posted:

I'd argue it's more classist than capitalist - it's really (instilling?) a fear for anyone who is not on the very bottom rung of the social order worrying of those below them rising up and murdering the poo poo out of them aka slaves rising up and killing lower-class citizens in a slave society for example.

It also meshes pretty well with fears about automatisation because it will literally kill people!!!?! which was definitely starting to become a social issue when T2 came out.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mr. Vile posted:

Aw, you didn't do the hidden fifth way to deal with Zeke and Jodie.

Charge up to them and use the double takedown aug to punch both of them the gently caress out.

This is clearly the best option. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvAe86KyWg

(edit) Usual possible spoiler disclaimer about related video thumbnails and comments.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Attestant posted:

This is clearly the best option. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvAe86KyWg

(edit) Usual possible spoiler disclaimer about related video thumbnails and comments.

that's beyond beautiful.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Textbook paramedic work from Jensen there, immediately sedating someone who's suffered head trauma.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fwoderwick posted:

Textbook paramedic work from Jensen there, immediately sedating someone who's suffered head trauma.

i know literally nothing about medicine so you're gonna have to tell me if this is a joke or not

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

BenRGamer posted:

Not true, you can buy the tranq rifle.

What I like about the stun gun is that it allows you to do double takedowns very early in the game.

Get close to two guys, stun one and then immediately takedown the other one. While the stun gun is partially alarming, doing it fast enough will prevent the second guy from being alerted.

It`s a moot point in NG+, though.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

double nine posted:

It also meshes pretty well with fears about automatisation because it will literally kill people!!!?! which was definitely starting to become a social issue when T2 came out.

Yeah, it's basically the middle and upper class being afraid that they'll be replaced by mechanical automation just like they're doing to the working class. It's pretty much a fear that what they're doing to others will happen to them too, only sensationalized with bloody machine warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I actually have an Atari Portfolio around here somewhere, the same model portable computer that John Connor uses to hack ATMs and door access panels in T2. I bought it a couple of years ago for next to nothing, because of the T2 connection. It's actually a pretty cool little machine, and even though the built-in DIP DOS is rather limited in capabilities, it could theoretically be used in the real world, for the same purposes as in the movie.

Of course, you could never brute force access codes on a ~4.9MHz 80C88-powered mobile device, but rather find some backdoor in the software.

• Locked thread