Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let's be honest, we all hate our stupid teams, which are very Dumb and Bad, except for one.

Hamline is the light. Hamline is the truth. Trust in Hamline. I mean, look at that rad loving logo.

OK SO WHAT HAPPENED LAST YEAR?
The North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hawks steamrolled their way to their 8th national championship.

WHAT HAPPENED IN THE OFFSEASON?
NCHC denied expansion bids from Arizona State and Minnesota State. AZ State remains the sole independent team for now.
The WCHA, which is Cool and Good, has moved the "Final 5" tournament to be entirely on campus sites
SPACEBEAR and Alaska-Anchorage are in danger of each losing their programs to budget cuts
Notre Dame announced a move from Hockey East to the B1G (starting in the 17-18 season), in case you somehow needed another reason to hate the B1G

WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR?
This is where I'd put a real effort post of breaking down each conference but let's be honest with ourselves. We're all going to underachieve and be disappointing while BC and NoDak are going to walk back to the Frozen Four (in Chicago this year, by the way).

Also the Hamline Pipers Hockey Team are going to win the MIAC because Hamline is truth.

E:

Neodoomium posted:

The answer to all your questions is simultaneously "the ncaa sucks" and "college hockey is bad"

SON OF EDIT, THE RETURN:
Confused by all the 'god gently caress this team' posts that don't specify a team? Here is a handy list of posters and the teams that hate them! :toot:
if any of these are wrong let me know, sorry :shobon:

DJExile - Bowling Green, Hamline
Top Hats Monthly - Minnesota-Duluth, also Hamline.
Neodoomium - Michigan, Hamline
Teemu Pokemon - Miami, Quinnipiac, Hamline
Nissin Cup Nudist - Penn State, Hamline
MrChupon - NoDak, Hamline
AsInHowe - Michigan, Hamline
marsisol - Penn State, Hamline
Jamwad Hilder - BU, Hamline
Infidel Castro - Hamline, Wisconsin, Eau Claire, and Hamline.
Stitecin - NoDak, Hamline
tupacalypse - Wisconsin, Hamline
hifi - Arizona State, Hamline
davecrazy - Quinnipiac, Hamline
Glambags - Cornell, Hamline
iospace - Wisconsin, Hamline
Fifty Three - PSU, RMU, Hamline

:siren: HEY KIDS COME YELL ABOUT YOUR BAD TEAMS IN HERE WITH US TOO :siren:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

https://discord.gg/e8twFxF

This link never expires. Hopefully.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BGSU Falcons Effort Post
2015-16 season: 22-14-6, lost to Minn State in WCHA Semis, no NCAA tourney.

Last year was a bit of an odd one for BG. Breaking the 20-win mark is always hard to argue with, but man finding consistency was a tough one at times. An 8-game win streak was followed up by way too drat many ties and losses. Spectacular goaltending (Chris Nell logged a 1.91 GAA and .930 sv%) and largely solid defense definitely helped things though.

This year things look really drat good for the Falcons. BG was picked #1 by both coaches and media, partly because we didn't really lose much in the off-season, and the rest of the conference is hurting to various degrees. 19 returners, including Chris Nell in net and Flyers draft pick Mark Friedman along the blue line. BG and Michigan Tech are easily the two deepest teams in the WCHA this year. Minnesota State was a fantastic possession/grind team but lost a ton of their talent to graduation. Fightin' Nerds finally lost some very good goaltenders and start a freshman this year, although they also bring back drat near everyone else from last year too.

It also helps that they got a very favorable schedule. They only play Minnesota State twice (one weekend in Mankato), and the Fightin' Nerds of Michigan Tech twice (two games at home). They get 5 very winnable games at home to finish the regular season (2 vs. Northern Mich, 1 vs. Mercyhurst, 2 vs. Bama-Huntsville) and no real rough road trips.

BG could finally loving Do The Thing this year and win the WCHA, after a heartbreaking miss of the NCAA Tournament 2 years ago (missed out by .0002 pairwise points), and running out of gas last year, but it's entirely on them. Chris Bergeron has steadily built a very drat good team here over the last few years, and if they somehow miss out on the NCAA tournament again, they'll have nobody but themselves to blame.

Go a Falcons.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kinda generic rest of WCHA preview based on what little poo poo I know, in no particular order:

Fightin' Nerds:
See what I said about BG, but put a question mark in goal. Having a new goalie isn't the worst Achilles Heel because they're still plenty deep at forward and defense so whoever starts will have plenty of help.

Minnesota State:
They graduated drat near everyone, which would be a concern for most teams but I'd be willing to bet they reload fairly quickly. Mankato thrives on a grinding, posession-based game. They're basically the LA Kings of the WCHA.

Northern Michigan:
They're a loving fantastic defensive team and I remember them frustrating what was a very good BG offense more than a few times last year, but holy god are they imbalanced offensively. Solid top line with a relative mess below that. They block so many loving shots that John Tortorella may take over if when the Blue Jackets fire him.

SPACEBEAR:
Oof, this doesn't look good. All their top scorers are gone and they've clearly been hurt by both the recent sanctions and now stare down budget cuts that threaten the entire program.

Alaska Anchorage:
See above, but with a bit more offense and they have good goaltending. Also have arguably the best sweaters in the league.

Lake Superior:
Super underrated goalie in Defiel and coach Damon Whitten has slowly started to turn things around, and it'd be good to see them get back to prominence. They're REALLY young but should steal some games here and there.

Ferris State:
GRIND GRIND GRIND HIT GRIND POSSESS HIT GRIND. Ferris is Minnesota State but more physical. They're the team you hate playing late in the season or in a tournament. They lost some great defensemen but Darren Smith is a drat good goalie and should hold the fort well for them.

Bemidji State:
Bemidji is the team everyone seems to kinda forget in the WCHA these days. They're not bad at anything, but they're not really great at anything either. They're just kinda... there. I remember them as a solidly defensive team that kinda prays for low scoring games but that's it.

Bama-Huntsville:
God bless 'em, they're not a total dumpster fire anymore! I just wanna give a hug to goalie Carmine Guerriero (who seems like he's been there forever now), who may have the national record for most shots against*, that poor bastard.

These days they're basically a couple steps behind LSSU. They're still young as all hell but don't have a ton of scoring talent.

*I have no idea if this is actually true and cannot be bothered to look it up :effort:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

also glad my quote continues to live on

:cool::respek::cool:

Going to BG's exhibition tomorrow and gonna wear that rad fuckin' sweater the athletic department surprised me with

ALSO HEY OYM/DANDY/POKEMON I DIDN'T KNOW YA BOY BELPEDIO WENT TO CULVER

WELCOME TO THE PALACE OF THOSE WHO OWN

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 1, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BOWLING GREEN IS UNDEFEATED

TOTALLY GOING THE DISTANCE YOU GUYS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there was a brawl at the end too. Game was chippy as all hell.

HILARIOUS WEEKEND RESULTS:
Bama-Huntsville sweeps Ferris (2-1, 4-3)
Guelph beats Mercyhurst 6-2
Toronto beats Western Mich 4-3
Guelph beats Canisius 6-2
St. Francis Xavier beats Maine 6-5

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Michigan News:

Cooper Marody (Sophomore Forward) is academically ineligible until January. He was a 0.75 point per game last year so that will probably hurt.

Go to class, dipshit.

Sounds like part of it was down to a bout of mono

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Our best defenseman and 2 other players are suspended for Friday's game at Bemidji because of the brawl at the end of the Windsor game. Awesome. :manning:

Not that it wasn't warranted, look at this poo poo:

E: Fun fact: Dylan Seguin down at the bottom there is Tyler's brother, near as I can tell.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

that roster is stupid.

I just googled it and jesus you aren't kidding :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We lost to beavers with like 4 of our top guys suspended so that's bad but understandable i guess

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Swept by Bemidji. An inauspicious start

:manning:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well then

I had it in my head he saw a ton more shots against

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gave up a 3 goal lead to Western in double OT

earth gay so what

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We got annihilated by Western what the poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stitecin posted:

Surely there's a form of mass transit.

Ithaca's pretty isolated. The only way in is driving or flying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well I'll be damned, a quick google search didn't show that but I guess greyhound is its own animal

pun unintended

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The tough thing for him is that's the only remaining time Miami travels to play anyone even remotely near him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nah, I'll whip something up

E: there ya go :toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 17, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ah poo poo I forgot about davecrazy, thanks :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tupacalypse posted:

If you haven't seen it already, Cameron Hughes scored a sick goal against BC yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGojEf3cnI

drat son

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

HOT MIAC UPDATE COMING DOWN THE PIPE WEDNESDAY

Also I'm a UMD fan DJ ;)

THAT was it. Christ I knew it wasn't Mankato and was drawing a blank otherwise.

E: vvv i got you fam

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 18, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i mean, technically

They were playing BC over the weekend, and I caught part of one of the games on TV. Holy poo poo it was empty as all hell.

Either they packed the poo poo out of the stands on the camera side or these are hilariously blatant lies.

E: Oh the Kohl Center's a lot bigger capacity wise than I thought. Still I don't buy 8,000+ at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tupacalypse posted:

I was there on Sunday, can confirm there was hardly anyone there. Student section was empty too (due to the football game the night before, and probably because it was a Sunday.)

yeah I definitely understand sunday being lightly attended

Troy Queef posted:

I actually know two (2) guys that play on MIAC teams--one on Hamline

YO TROY QUEEF'S BUDDY GET US SOME SHIRTS :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THEY HAVE A LOGO HAT FINALLY

$26, BUT STILL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Notre Dame is apparently the third best team in the country

How did that happen?

They're 3-1 but the USCHO poll really doesn't mean dick until a couple months in.

I don't think Pairwise starts being calculated until... what like January?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: SO EVERYONE'S PLAYING NOW, IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER POST OF THE SCHEDULE IN WHICH DJEXILE MAKES BAD JOKES AND GOOD REFERENCES :siren:

REMAIN IN LIGHT
Bentley @ Air Force
Bobby Mo @ Canisius

STOP MAKING SENSE
Minn-State @ SPACEBEAR
Lake Superior @ Bama-Huntsville
NMU @ Ferris State

LITTLE CREATURES
Colgate @ Marriwhack (thx marsisol)
Bemidji @ NoDak
Clarkson @ Providence
Fightin' Nerds @ God, why hasn't Red retired? He's like 90 now.
Maine @ TO ZE NORTHEAST REGIONALS
Army @ UMass
St. Lawrence @ Mass-Lowell
DOOP @ ND (TV: NBCSN)
AIC @ UConn
Denver @ Sparty in the "Game that would have owned like 15 years ago" game
RIT @ Union
Vermont @ Neb-Omaha (TV: American Sports Network)
Sacred Heart @ Boston Univ.
LITERALLY NOBODY LIKES OHIO STATE NOR SHOULD THEY @ BOWLING GREEN BEST HOCKEY TEAM EVER I AM 100% UNBIASED
Colorado College @ YER A WIZARD, JERRY
Arizona State @ Northeastern
St. Cloud @ Minnesota (TV: Fox Sports North Plus)
Niagara @ RPI

SPEAKING IN TONGUES
Ontario Institute of Tech @ Cornell
US U-18 @ Wisconsin

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stitecin posted:

I came to say bad news for Bemidji, but then remembered that the Beavers shocked the Sioux 5-1 in 2014 and that they swept Bowling Green and Northern Michigan to start the season.

Yeah Bemidji is one of those teams that doesn't really excel anywhere but they don't suck at anything either. They're still not in NoDak's league (literally :rimshot: ) but they should put up a good fight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SAMB0 posted:

Not looking good for Nanooks this weekend. Terrible start to the season, salvaged by our lone win over the in state rivals Anchorage.

Really going to rely on these freshman stepping into roles and quick. If we can steal one from Mankato this weekend it could change the entire season.

What's been the story up there about the budget issues? It really didn't sound good for either team a while back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For a team picked to win the WCHA, we have utter dog poo poo defense and goaltending this year :manning:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We can't beat a poo poo box Ohio state team. gently caress this team and gently caress this year

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/789637138732101632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Holy poo poo :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Burn it all down fire everyone life is pain gently caress hockey

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Miami football actually won a game for once!!! (against BG :smug: )

shut up shut up shut upppppppppp :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i'm honestly happy for Chuck Martin, even if it was against us, he's a really good coach

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i care :unsmith:

E: also grats on your incoming weekend sweep

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HotChocolateHighVelocity.wmv

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I remember when BG was picked to win the WCHA and everyone (me) said they were going to have a fantastic season.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

I miss the CCHA

:same:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bowling green didn't lose! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile