Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR?

For what seems like the third straight year, Miami is overrun with freshman, including 3 freshman goalies, and Will Be Bad.

Happy First Weekend (that matters) College Hockey Goons :toot:

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ps Go The Hamline Pipers Bitch

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami continues to lose to Providence, will fail to make the tournament again, are destined to be a third rate program after a fleeting period of success just like football and basketball before them, make me pray for the sweet release of death

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Miami University Redhawks won a hockey game in TYOOL 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami lost in a shootout to Ohio State :rip:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I am debating making the trip up to Cornell either 12/2 or 12/3 game against Miami but it's like a 4.5 hour drive from here. I don't know if I would be able to make it up that afternoon in time for the Friday game and I have to work on Sunday so I'd probably have to make a day trip on Saturday and 9 hours of driving in one day sounds terrible and will severely impair my ability to get blackout drunk

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, my only other option is waiting until Miami is good enough in two years to get sent to Providence as a 4 seed to play BC

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

Nah, I'll whip something up

E: there ya go :toot:

You can add myself and, I believe, davecrazy for Quinnipiac

One of my best friends is a QU grad and we have a standing mutual support pact so Go Cats

I'm also naturally drawn to teams that disappoint in national title games

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 17, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yes and they are currently banned from this thread until they get us piper t-shirts

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Wisconsin ... D1 team.

i mean, technically

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:holymoley:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami going to lose to goddamn Maine and it's not 2001

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami bad, loses another non-conference shootout to a bad team

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:agreed:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

literally get the gently caress out of here

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I am okay with one Alaska only in the above scenario wherein the CCHA Alaska is Best Alaska

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami dominated Maine like they're goddamn supposed to and Miami football actually won a game for once!!! (against BG :smug: )

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

Michigan tied Michigan Tech despite being outshot 48-15

:shepface:

DJExile posted:

shut up shut up shut upppppppppp :argh:

I don't think we've beaten you since before Omar Conner was your QB so let me have this

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami has killed 23/24 penalties. They allowed a PPG to Providence on their first kill of the season.

Miami's PK is the one shining beacon of relief I can count on in this world of mediocrity

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i remember when miami was good

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Some Miami notes from this weekend that I read and very much agree with if anyone else cares about what's going on with other teams:

quote:

OXFORD, Ohio – After Saturday, Cady Arena might want to add the Kingsmen’s 1963 hit “Louie Louie” to its repertoire.

Or maybe amend the spelling to “Louie Louis”.

The duo of Louie Belpedio and Anthony Louis scored Miami’s first three goals in its 5-0 win over Maine in its series finale, as the Chicago-area pair has netted six of the RedHawks’ nine markers in the first three games of this homestand.

It was an amazing eight days for Belpedio, who struggled mightily in the first period vs. Ohio State last weekend but scored the team’s lone goal in the next stanza. That seemed to turn his game around, and although he is still prone to the occasional turnover, he has been exception at moving the puck, especially on the power play.

Then there’s Louis, whose game has jumped miles ahead from his first three seasons to this homestand that opens his final season in Oxford. It took him 10 games to find the net in 2015-16, and he had three plus an assist this weekend on 15 shots, many of which his hard work created. He seems physically stronger and more driven this fall than at any other time wearing a Miami sweater.

And yet the most-improved offensive player award is in no way clear-cut, as Kiefer Sherwood makes an excellent case for that. Like Louis, he is doing much more at a higher level than filling the scoresheet.

Just based on the three games in this homestand, Carson Meyer looked much more comfortable on the ice from Period 1 to Period 9, and the stats prove that out, as he had three assists in this game and had a goal erased on a delayed, delayed off-side call.

Karch Bachman’s blazing speed and skills make him an easy top-6 forward, and he is just starting to reach his potential. Gordie Green has been feisty and it seems inevitable he will start putting up points soon playing to the right of Bachman and Sherwood.

Throw in Josh Melnick, the most complete forward on the team and on-ice leader despite being a sophomore, and that’s six forwards plus a power play quarterback defenseman we just mentioned that could be elite both in the NCHC and nationally.

And that’s without mentioning Ryan Larkin, who stopped 33 shots for his first shutout. It’s safe to say he’s the real deal and is going to steal some games over his career, and every competitive team needs great goaltending to win critical games.

There’s certainly a lot to like about Saturday’s performance, especially since scoring was a weakness for Miami last season, but before we punch our tickets to the Frozen Four, some perspective…

Maine didn’t get great goaltending. In fact, the Black Bears weren’t a terribly impressive lot. They had two outstanding goals on Friday but sort of mailed it in after Miami went up multiple goals on Saturday.

Still, the RedHawks showed on Friday they could respond while trailing three times to salvage a tie and in this game they were able to step on a team’s throat late, something they haven’t always exceled at.

To accomplish both against Maine, they needed offense from a team that scored just 86 times in 36 games last season and saw its first-round pick that tied for the team’s points lead walk this summer after one year.

Coming off a 15-18-3 season with 14 freshmen and no Jack Roslovic – or Sean Kuraly or Matthew Caito for that matter – we’ll take 2-1-2 at this point with 2.80 goals for per game and an average of just 1.80 against.

Other thoughts…

– Hate to gloss over Larkin’s performance, but offense was so much more of a concern entering this season, and this team has always found quality kids between the pipes. Now to gush a little: Larkin has been absolutely amazing in his first three home games. He has a .955 save percentage and 1.27 goals-against average at Cady Arena. Keep in mind, this is on a freshman-laden team that has made some defensive mistakes, so he has faced a plethora of high-percentage chances. Miami’s just fine in net, hopefully for the next four years.

– One player we haven’t really talked about is Jared Brandt. The freshman defenseman hasn’t been sexy but has been very effective in his own end and has a physical streak. As the everyday lineup starts to solidify, Brandt’s name should be on it nightly, bringing much-needed stability to a blue line that lost several four-year starters last off-season.

– Despite the score, Miami actually started pretty slowly in this one. Period 1 bore no resemblance to 2 and 3, and the Meyer non-goal may have been a turning point.

GRADES

FORWARDS: A. Not only is it scary that Miami has Louis-Melnick-Meyer-Sherwood-Bachman-Green as its top six, the third line of Ryan Siroky, Justin Greenberg and Zach LaValle was solid again in this game, albeit it without producing points. Alex Alger played his first home game and impressed with his energy on the fourth line. Conor Lemirande is way better than in his first two seasons. Carter Johnson was a solid grinder on that line as well. That’s all 12.

DEFENSEMEN: B+. It’s weird: As someone who appreciates defense, the good and bad of that aspect seemed somewhat lacking from this game. That’s OK as typically stay-at-home D-men are noticed for bad play a la offensive linemen in football. The game became a lot more physical in the third period, and this corps was involved in much of the carnage, with Grant Hutton dishing out some hits, Belpedio knocking a couple of player around – most notably with an old-school submarine hip check at full speed, and Scott Dornbrock blasting a player in front of the benches, drawing a debatable penalty. Belpedio scored the two goals, which obviously raise the grade, and overall this corps kept its errant turnovers to a minimum.

GOALTENDING: A+. Larkin earned his first career shutout and was in complete control all night. He almost never allows rebounds and was excellent at icing the puck when Miami had the lead, not allowing Maine a chance to get back into the game. Larkin was tested on a 3-on-1 in the final minute but made the save to preserve the shutout. What a performance.

LINEUP CHANGES: Alger replaced Willie Knierim and did a solid job on the fourth line. On defense, Colin Sullivan returned to the lineup as Chaz Switzer was scratched. Andrew Masters was again the backup in net.

tl;dr version: Belpedio still owns, Anthony Louis perhaps starting to own, kids look good (but will most likely still need at least this season before they're a legitimate NCHC threat), Larkin is legit and The Rico Goalie Rotation may finally be dead :toot:

I also would very much enjoy if they played Louie Louie in the Goggin when Belpedio scores that would own

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 26, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:gbsmith:

Anthony Louis with an OT goal for a 2-1 win. hawks are back baby

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

hawks are back baby

:rip:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami did

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

redhawks bad

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Hawks were kinda good then were really bad

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miamediocre

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

gently caress YEAH 3-1 GO THE HAMLINE PIPERS, BITHC

:agreed:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

free hamline

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Just bought tickets to watch Miami lose to Cornell on 12/3 because I'm an idiot

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

N: Miami gave up 4 unanswered goals, 3 within 4 minutes halfway through the 3rd, and lost 4-3 to Cornell

V: Excited to watch them get swept in person tomorrow

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:omarcomin:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Drinking in an Ithaca hotel room because it's below freezing and what the gently caress else is there to do let's go hawks don't embarrass me too much

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

guys it's not working so far

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

A picture of a Cathy comic when she yells ack

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah so they kicked us out midway through the game for yelling too loud for Miami??

No loud expletives or anything egregiously disrespectful, just loudly cheering every chance we had; no warnings, just 10:00 on the clock in the second, an usher comes down and tells us we need to leave.

I'm so in disbelief that I can't actually be mad but I can tell every cell in my body wants me to be livid

I'm barely even buzzed :( I had like 5 beers two hours ago

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 4, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm in my hotel, Miami got swept, life is pain, but I'm gonna enjoy it because college hockey sucks. ilu college hockey goons for getting it and I wish you were here so we could....say fire red?? I don't know where I'm going with this but yeah

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It was really...I don't know...

It was cool to see Miami live and I didn't have to see them lose. I think they actually did me a favor

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

blame jim delany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Guys I'm eating cracker barrel stick candy watching my cousin vinny on hotel cable. gently caress miami gently caress college hockey this sport is stupid

E:

Neodoomium posted:

My dudes, college hockey is fuckin horrible

• Locked thread