Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

Ellie kept her gun drawn, looking around the scene of the conflict for anyone they'd missed.

"All right, anyone catch a stray shot? Remember, keepin' your trap shut don't make you tough, it makes you a moron with an infection..."

Noticing the living, but unconscious man next to his lasgun, she kept the laser sight of her revolver flickering across his neck and lower face, careful to keep it away from his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Everett Bosseman

Everett takes his shot on the sniper with no sense of joy. He never much liked killing; yeah, on this world it was required, especially if you were just some regular son of a bitch trying to get by; the dregs of humanity loved to prey on the poor sons of bitches. As the bandit marksman's head ignites, Everett turns his head away. These Las weapons sure were reliable, but he found them more gruesome than a slugthrower. Had that shot been from his old rail line markman carbine, it would have popped the man's head. More gruesome to be sure, but at least a quicker death than whatever Everett had just inflicted.

When it is clear the combat is over Everett walks over to the edge of the canyon, "Darn, I was hopin' for his slug thrower," Everett spits on the ground and makes his way over to the rest of the group and the prisoner. He tilts his hat at the Doc, "thanks madam, but I managed to remain injury free," Everett says, though he does reach down to rub his old wounded knee. He then looks at the prisoner and then turns to Sunny, "Well what do you think? Ain't our mission to be takin' prisoners, nor do we have the facilities to do so. On the other hand, he did just try to kill and Equite, which I'm sure must be a crime with a charge of summary execution. Your call though."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Cassimir Crowe

Cassimir gives his chainsword one last rev to clear the worst of the blood out, then returns it to his side. Later on, once they made camp, he'd have to break it open and give it a more thorough cleaning. A chainsword's spirit was proud and temperamental by nature; if you didn't respect the weapon by keeping it clean and anointed with sacred oils, it would jam on you at the worst possible time.

Wiping blood from his face and beard with a little water from his canteen, he turns in the saddle to regard the survivor with a stony glare. "Well, you're smarter than your friends, so far. Why don't you tell us what you fools were doing out here? And son, don't lie to us. I'm in a charitable mood for the moment, but I think I've demonstrated that pissin' me off will not improve your prospects of making it through the day."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004




Silas Lasar

Silas takes a few moments to recover his breath, balancing Betty on Tempo's saddle and simply focusing on managing the comedown from the rush of adrenaline that the short, sudden bout of violence had prompted. Though he doesn't enjoy fighting overmuch, Silas permits himself a small feeling of pleasure that all of the Equites had come through unharmed, a small miracle given that only Everett had been in cover to start the fight. Truly the Emperor must be watching over them!


"Also, should we be expecting any more of you lot headed this way in the near future? We like to avoid unnecessary violence, so it'd be good to know if we're likely to encounter any more benighted souls dumb enough to join a band that'd try shaking down Equites."

Sorry for the delay posting- work is hellacious this week/next week so my posting may be delayed/brief, though it ought to clear up after that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth



Sunny Hale

Sunny charges her hunting lance's shock field again, partially to clear the blood and partly to let the electric crack rattle the surviving bandit. She nods at the line of questioning her squad has taken.

"Yeah, I'm no legal expert but attacking the Equites in the course of their Emperor-appointed duty is certainly punishable by death, carried out at the convenience of the arresting officer. Of course, tell us everything we want to know and I can probably find it in my heart to commute your sentence to life with hard labor. Work extra hard to impress me and maybe I'll be talked into recommending an even more lenient sentence, maybe even have the good Doc here make sure your other accomplice doesn't die before we reach the next outpost.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

The medic gave Sunny a raised eyebrow. She'd seen barfights end worse - the fellow she was keeping her gun trained on was just a little shook up, with barely a flesh wound. Still, maybe she had some sort of ruse goin'.

"I mean, if I gotta. But that's supplies I won't have for y'all..."

She dismounted from Esteban, who trailed a little behind her as she walked over to the unconscious man.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


On the road to the courier outpost

The now-captive bandit stammers to try and spit out an answer for the Equites. "I don't know man, they don't tell me poo poo. The only one of us that got to meet with the big boss was him" He says as he meekly points at the still burning corpse of the leader of the group. "Zane said that the boss keeps it compartmentalized or some poo poo. All I know is that up until recently we operated closer to pale dunes until he got the word to clear out, didn't say why, just that there was something in the works. Normally we'd be giving him a tribute, but with this last order he told us to keep our head down and that he wouldn't need anything from us 'till he called next. When we were in town we ran some black market - mostly drugs for the locals. It was Zane's idea to try and bump over caravans while we were on the down low, the stupid fucker. As far as any other groups go, like I said, the boss keeps this poo poo compartmentalized by design. I couldn't tell you another outfit due to having never met anyone from another outfit."

Elenor approaches the unconscious man, kicking his lasgun into the canyon before seeing to the prone bandit. With one hand on her revolver she uses her other to flip the man around, his shirt is torn and he groans in pain for obvious reason - the impact wasn't immediately lethal, but the star shaped bruise and the swelling indicated he probably has significant internal bleeding. It would be a tossup on if he could survive this without proper medical care.

Everett takes a glance down into the canyon. The man had not fallen far, he settled on a lip about 4 meters down. His gun had shook loose in the fall and landed about half a meter away from where the body landed. Everett calls his horse back to him and with a length of rope tied to the end of an extra horseshoe he is able to snag the strap of the gun and pull it back up to him. The gun somehow looks even grungier than it was through the sight of his scope, it looks like it was pulled out of a mud hole and not even bothered to be wiped off. While the mud and grime could easily be cleaned out with a field stripping, there is still enough spots of rust to potentially catch the action of the gun until hecan get it to a proper armorer to get the bolt replaced.

-----

The bandit you caught is basically just a stooge and the one that could give you a more detailed answer has a few too many holes in him to warrant being alive anymore. He'll generally try to be as helpful as he can out of fear of getting chainsawed in half, but he doesn't have any idea about the larger picture. The other one will basically be too busy being unconscious or in constant misery to be of any use, though his answers would of basically been the same.

Werix fishes a rifle out of the canyon and acquires a Poor Quality Sniper Rifle with the Unreliable Quality. You only have the ammunition that's in the standard magazine minus the one bullet that was shot at you. Since this is not part of your kit, you will need to track ammo for it. Once you get back to the armorer he'll be able to replace any bad parts, upgrading it to Common Quality again. Any of the other weapons are up for grabs, though I'm assuming the Shotgun is going to be the only thing of interest if Renton or someone wants it. The shotgun is common quality and comes with a full magazine and an extra 5 shells.

Let me know if you guys want to take the captives with you to the courier outpost to pass them off to local law, kill them where they stand, or let them go and we'll continue on. If anyone else wants one of the weapons just speak up.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2016 around 15:19

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

Ellie pressed on the wound a little - the groan this action elicited confirmed her suspicions. Nonetheless, she performed a quick check to make sure he didn't have a boot piece or a knife tucked somewhere.

"Well..."

Satisfied that he was a nice long fall away from any available weapon, she turned away, leaving Esteban to stare down at the poor bastard in a manner that, honestly, was only menacing if you were already well acquainted with the beast. She attempted to speak with Sunny privately.

"Upon further physical examination, the other survivor's hemor- uh, his guts are busted open and bleeding on the inside, and likely needs some of my help if we're not puttin' him down. Either way, y'all need to make up your mind about it. I'd rather not have these boys waste any more of our time or supplies, personally."

I'll skip the Shotgun. And she votes for summary execution.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2016 around 21:36

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth


[quote="thatbastardken" post="465400360"]

Sunny Hale

Sunny takes in the bandit's story and Elenor's medical advice with practiced equanimity.

"Alright, looks like just the one prisoner, we don't have time or supplies to waste on the other. You idiots walk all the way out here or do you have horses?

While the bandit is considering his answer Sunny rides up next to the unconscious one and puts him out of his misery with another thrust of her lance.

Voting to take the more convenient one prisoner unless someone is super keen to execute him on the spot. If no-one else has a use for the shotgun I'll take it.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Cassimir Crowe

"Compartmentalized, hmm? Well, a liar wouldn't claim he knew nothing of value when his life's on the line, and I'm in a good mood. I say we bring him along."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Everett Bosseman

Everett looks over the gun he fished up from the ravine, and makes a disgusted noise under his breath. He wipes as much grime off as he can, and straps the weapon to Lucy, planning on giving it a good field stripping when they stopped for the night. He walks up to the rest, and wipes some sweat from his brow. "Hey, if the plan is to take this guy prisoner I'm all on board; sometimes townfolk need a good lynchin' on a hot summer day." He then glances over at the injured one. "I don't disagree with leaving the not long of this world behind here with his friends, but if we're gonna do that, can we at least end his sufferin? I always try to shoot to kill, and if someone is left wounded I leave it up to others to take care of 'em, but we just killed all the others. Don't sit right with me leaving him here to just die like that."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004




Silas Lasar

"I agree with Everett, that's a terrible situation to leave a man, no matter how far he's fallen from the Emperor's grace. If they've got their own horse I'm inclined to take them with us, if not I say we throw any weapons we're not taking into the canyon and give 'em their choice between a quick end or a canteen of water. Or if he won't rouse, let his friend decide his fate. Either way, we've got to be moving."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


On the road to the courier outpost

The lone bandit stutters and stammers to find his words. He starts to belt out "I... i don't know wha-" but is shocked into silence as Hale rides over to the injured man, pulls out her revolver and puts a pair of slugs into his dying companion, finishing him off. The bandit softly swears under his breath, closes his eyes and points his face toward the sky. It's hard to tell if he's trying to avoid the nausea of seeing his friend executed in real time or if he's praying to get right with his maker. He wobbles slightly, looking as though he were about to pass out before he makes to speak again. "We were told to leave town in a hurry, no time for horses. We were hoping to knock over some couriers and take their horses." He barely gets to the end of his sentence before the color goes out of his face and he passes out, laid out face first on the desert sand.

It takes not but a few minutes to kick the corpses into the canyon and for Sunny to stow the shotgun in her pack. The bodies will have long been claimed for the desert by the time anyone found them and by her reckoning they probably would be missed by few. The survivor is hog tied and layed over the hind section of Dr Renton's horse. The man's weak constitution made for a quiet trip, he didn't regain consciousness until they arrived at their destination.

-----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksUGtB2KWW4
Courier outpost Bravo 3

Upon walking into the walled courier's outpost you are greeted by the outpost sergeant. A small, slender man weathered by age. He takes the hogtied prisoner from you, citing they'll ride him back to Pale Dunes in the morning and invites you to stay inside the dormitory for the night, a courtesy common in most courier outposts for equite travellers. Your horses are moved to the stables where they'll be fed and freshened for the morning. The courier post was manned by a skeleton crew, the couriers themselves being a fairly transient sort who go where needed, this outpost won't pick up in numbers until the next grox drive, still many months out. As a result the dorms are rather pleasant and well maintained, though still bearing the scars of the hustle and bustle of previous grox drives.

In the morning you'll set off again, you are still about half a day's ride out from Red Rock outpost, but your goal is proverbially within sight after the motion and the fury of the day.

-----

Half update for now, you can post reactions if you want, will try to post the other half tomorrow and get you in the town proper.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Red Rock Outpost - Midday


The rest of your journey to Red Rock was mostly uneventful. On your way through the outlaying areas you were able to catch the occasional whiff of the nearby Grox ranches. As you cross over a hill, you come into sight of what looks to be the distilling operation that the Marshal had mentioned in his briefing. The facility is belching out a heavy cloud of steam that, when the wind picks up in just the right way, makes you catch a whiff of what smells like unlaundered socks. It could be simply part of the distillation process, or it could be a poor first impression of what the town considers their local specialty, either way it's not leaving anyone feeling good about the prospect of drinking the stuff.

As you get to the edge of the city proper, you can see the hustle and bustle of some of the locals. From the distance you spot a couple of people in overalls mill about the town square chatting about who-knows-what. A stockade and gallows are set up not far from the chatting people. The stockade currently is holding one man in shackles, he rustles about and looks to be agitated, as you would expect any person in his current situation to be. The Gallows sits currently unoccupied, though you can see a man posting a sign in front of it. You can't read either from this distance.

-----

Alright, you guys are off the leash, you are free to follow your own tract for how you want to investigate. If you want to split up to cover more ground you can. If you want suggestions, you can check out the inn/tavern to secure stables/lodging and/or try to pick up on local rumors, try and talk to local citizens, try and find the sheriff's office, or do your own thing.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

"Well, there's clearly been a little bit of local excitement, wouldn't you say?"

She pointed at the stocks and gallows.

"I'm going to go see what the hangin' news is, are any of y'all checking with the local law?"

Going to read the gallows sign, then go some official checking in, since she's not exactly a social superstar.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth



Sunny Hale


"Casimir, Everett, you come with me to find the Sheriff's office. Silas, you stick with the Doc. Check out that hanging, then try to find us somewhere to stay. Once we're established lets start looking around and asking questions."


No point everyone clustering around the local Sheriff like grox-calves, she thinks.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004




Silas Lasar

Silas throws Sunny a lazy salute and a smile.

"Rodger that ma'am. C'mon doc, let's go see what all the fuss is."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Cassimir Crowe

Cassimir nods. "Sheriff it is, then. He'll know best what's going on."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Sheriff's Office
Red Rock Outpost


Sunny, Cassamir, and Everett make their way down the main drag of the city until they reach the Sheriff's building, obvious for what it was due to the extra fortification and heavier duty masonry to better withstand jailbreaks. The steel door echos readily when you knock on it, though nobody answers and the large padlock on it indicated that nobody was currently manning the station, which seems unusual. You ponder the situation when an old toothless man on a wooden rocking chair some 10 meters away speaks up in a harsh croak. "Nobody's there at the moment, the new sheriff just left on patrol. He'll be back in a couple 'a hours."

----------

Town Square
Dr. Renton and Silas make their way over to the stockades. A gaunt man fuzzy blonde hair is in shackles here, apparently long enough that he's mostly catatonic and unresponsive though still clearly alive. A note is scribbled in thick black ink and nailed to the stockades just under the man's chin: Erick Rimmler has been found guilty of Grox rustling and is sentenced to two weeks in the stockades before banishment from the city. All his possessions have been claimed by the municipality of Red Ridge and belongs to the Holy Emperor - Long May He Reign.

A pair of children run by too hastily as one runs head on into Renton's horse, bouncing off of the beast and landing on his butt. He grimaces and turns to face the pair of equites. Once he realizes they are strangers he starts trying to chat them up in a rapid barrage. "Hey you guys are ner around here arenchya? You ever see someone is stockades? Betchya they weren't as goody looking as this guy here. My daddy was sayin that he got 'rrested fer mindin his own grox, but don't tell anyone - " he leans in and give a sheepish grin "-it's a secret" The child puts a finger up to his mouth as the second child, realizing that his friend had fallen behind, came back and shoves the first one, causing the both of them to tear off running again.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Cassimir Crowe

Cassimir spends a few seconds glaring at the lock as though it were the lock's fault the sheriff wasn't in. Then the full import of what the old man had said hits him, and he turns towards him.

"New sheriff, you said? We're here looking for Sheriff Margo and his son, the Deputy. Equites haven't heard word out of here in over a month. What's happened?"

Oops, I forgot the kid was here pretending to the be the Sheriff's son.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Nov 2, 2016 around 23:42

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Everett Bosseman

Everett is just as perplexed as Cassimir at the news that the sheriff they were here to see wasn't here. He'll let the Preacher and boss lady handle the interactions with the old man, an man that likely wasn't much older than Everett, if at all. Right now the thing on the old scout's mind is what they were told about old Margo having dead drops and bolt holes and the like. If they were going to try and find them in the daylight, they should leave soon, though hearing what the new sheriff says might be worth the delay.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

"Grox Rustling, eh?"

She gave the man in the stockades a look-over. Not exactly a check-up, but what was the point in banishment if the poor bastard was going to get killed by the first punishment?

quote:

A pair of children run by too hastily as one runs head on into Renton's horse, bouncing off of the beast and landing on his butt.

Dr. Renton gasped and prayed quickly under her breath while she moved over to her horse.

"Oh, merciful Emperor on the Throne, calm Esteban before he stops a mudhole in this poor child..."

When the situation didn't turn horrific, she tried to retain their attention, but saw that their exciteable demeanor made that impossible.

"Well, that's an interesting thing for his daddy to say. Any commentary on the subject, Mister...Rimmler?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004




Silas Lasar

"You're the doc, doc, but uh, I'm not sure he's in any condition to be answering our questions.

Note's interesting though. Odd. No mention of which magistrate or authority did the actual sentencing, and in my experience they do like to make a point of emphasizing such things. Also seems a bit odd to say the property now belongs to Him Who Reigns on Terra, while at the same time saying it's been nabbed by the local government. Unless it's somehow getting put towards the Planetary Tithe, that just seems to be asking for a storm of Grox-dung whenever the next Administratum functionary happens by.

Which, admittedly, seems like it might not be a frequent event out here, so maybe it's nothing. Doesn't seem in keeping with how I'd expect an experienced Sheriff or a Mar- or a Sheriff's son to do things though."

LGD fucked around with this message at Nov 4, 2016 around 00:05

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

The medic shrugged.

"An easier way of checking if he's lucid than kicking him in the rear end."

She considered the notice again.

"No, you've got a point. Even if they don't use the name, the position still matters. By Order of the Sheriff, and so on. I know we like to make it loud and clear when the Equites have to formally exercise authority."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth



Sunny Hale

This is a prime opportunity to snoop around an unattended office. Not that Sunny would know anything about skulduggery or slinking in offices, of course. Just need to get inside.

"Don't suppose he's left a key with you, or anyone else? We need to use the vox, official-like."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


We're not dead, I promise, I just had a week long election based existential hole I needed to climb out of is all.

Red Rock Outpost
Sheriff's Office

The old geezer hacks a couple of times before turning his head and spitting onto the ground. "You folks didn't hear? The old sheriff ran for the hills when his son lost his marbles. The way they are saying it, the kid shot and killed one of the other deputies and the Sheriff couldn't stand to see his own blood in chains. The old Sheriff's third in command - Deputy Winslow - is assuming the position until Hightower sends us a new sheriff. I don't think one's coming though, Winslow's been in the position almost a month now., though he said he sent a courier out when this first happened."

The old geezer chuckles softly at Sunny's question as his shaky hands fumbled around his pockets for a lho stick and then a lighter. "Do I look fit enough to be a lawman there, missy? I don't think anyone in this town would trust me with a set of keys. Anymore I just sit in my chair here and watch the world go by. "

Town Square

Dr. Renton gives the man in the stockades a couple of pulls from her waterskin to try and get him responsive, but is otherwise unable to coax any answers from him. It seems as though his time in his punishment as rendered him mad. His head lolls to the side and he doesn't seem to acknowledge any stimuli. His eyes, when they do wander, seem to pass over you as though you don't exist. As much as it pains you, even if he were to recover, the trauma he suffered might leave him invalid the rest of his life.

----------
If the Sheriff's office group has any more questions for your new toothless friend keep em coming. Team Town Square has gotten just about any useful information they can get from here, time to move on however way you see fit.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Cassimir Crowe

Cassimir exhales slowly, heart sinking. Unless they'd severely misjudged Sheriff Margo's character, he wasn't the type to panic and run. Something had driven him to ground, and it had to be something more than the official story. He needed to speak to the boy, find out the truth.

"Well, damnation. Where are they keeping the kid? I ought to... minister to his soul."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Dr. Eleanor Renton

"Well, this guy's not going anywhere soon."

She tapped on the notice.

"Maybe we meet up with the others, sort out how this is being prosecuted?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004




Silas Lasar

"Sounds reasonable enough to me. Sunny and the others would probably appreciate it if we found some lodging first though. Probably should just ask one of the locals about our options."

Silas scans the square, looking for the most approachable individual of means.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Everett Bosseman

Everett shrugs, "Well what now boss? Gonna wait for the new actin' Sheriff or find some other creative means to resolve our questions?" Everett of course meant break into the Sheriff's office, but wasn't going to say as such in front of the toothless old coot.

Thankfully Everett was only one of those three things.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth



Sunny Hale

Sunny's smile slips as the old man calls her 'missy' for what had better be the last time.

"It's Sergeant, old man. And if you can't be useful then go find whatever passes for a watering hole around here and stay there for...let's call it an hour."

She passes over a portion of whatever cash the bandits had on them to sweeten the offer.

Charm TN 70 (50 base +20 subject friendly/bribed): 1d100 21

assuming this gets him to leave:


"Bosseman? Open the door, would you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Everett Bosseman

Everett smiles and nods at the Sunny and makes his way over to the sheriff's door. Picking locks was a skill he picked up more out of necessity than anything. Lot of train tracks have way stations on 'em for train conductors to rest at on the long hauls, and sometimes the previous rear end in a top hat locks the door and looses the key. So what started out as getting into those turned into a way to pass those long hours, just locking the doors and picking them again.

Everett draws out too old curled wires that he's used to jimmy locks for years, and gets to work, but the sheriff's office is too damned secured.

pick lock TN of 665o: 1d100 55

My dumb rear end was thinking lock picking was agility, not int. So I failed the security check., unless there is a +10 bonus for the lock being poorly maintained.

Werix fucked around with this message at Nov 23, 2016 around 04:42

  • Locked thread
«2 »