Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Chulip

Chulip is a PS2 game. The object of the game is to kiss everyone in town. I think you are some kind of monkey mailman?

I don't know much about it but I have always wanted to play it :3:

Mister Mosquito

Another odd PS2 game. In Mister Mosquito, you play a mosquito. Your job is to suck the blood from a family without getting killed or annoying them too much or something.

I also haven't played this but it is on my list!!

Here is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpzlNUH_Hc

I know a lot of other weird retro games cause I used to collect retro games pretty regularly. I will think of more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale

my ex and i played chulip together and it was a blast. it's one of those games where npcs move on a schedule and if you really want to finish it you're probably gonna need to hit up gamefaqs

Fishlifters

Smell you later!
I've got a one!

Papers, Please

Papers, Please is a game in which you play as an immigration officer for a fictional country by the name of Arstotzka. It centers around trying to do your job correctly so that you can afford to keep your very poor family alive and, by doing so, grappling with rejecting people from entering the country (who are often refugees, and Arstotzka is their last safe haven). Gameplay mostly consists of checking people's IDs, passports, etc., looking for inconsistencies and deciding whether to either approve or deny their entry. Do your job correctly and efficiently, and you'll be paid barely enough to keep your family fed, housed, and healthy, but you'll inevitably send some strangers to their deaths, or tear their families apart. Have mercy on them and approve them even though they're not allowed to enter, however, and you'll slowly watch your own family deteriorate. As the game goes on, the requirements for entry become more and more stringent and arcane, making your job more difficult. I've never played a game that's tugged on my heartstrings in such a drab, dreary, depressing way. It's a really great thing. Play it!

Fishlifters fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 28, 2016

Worldshatter

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Pony Island

Yes I realize what the name is, but the name has nothing to do with the actual game. It's subversive as gently caress from the very outset, to the point where any discussion of it could be misconstrued as a spoiler. There was one moment in particular that confused the gently caress out of me and had me alt tabbing out of the game to figure out what was going on.

IT IS NOT A GAME ABOUT PONIES

http://store.steampowered.com/app/405640/

Worldshatter

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

The Static Speaks my Name

This one fall more into the category of "art project" than game but it has some interesting things going for it throughout. It's a tad predictable but I still found it enjoyable. It's free on steam and can be played through in like 10 minutes so it's worth giving a try to see if you like/hate it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/387860/

Music Theory

Darkman Fanpage posted:

anyone remember rare's viva piñata?

I really wanted to play that when it came out, but I never got to.

Time for a fighting game themed post, because that's tangentially related to a few weird ones in that one was made by the same people, and I found the others on a blog about physics games (that I can't find now) back in like 2005, which also mentioned Lugaru, the predecessor to the first game on the list.

First, Overgrowth

A game being made by the same people as Receiver, this is a fighting game with furries. Notably, the fights are more about physical momentum than combos and such, because the game is heavily physics-based and you have very little health. Plays differently from other fighting games, so that's why I'm mentioning it here.

Sumotori Dreams

Also a physics-based fighting game, this one primarily revolves around the fact that the fighters are walking around using the physics engine, and aren't just playing animations. Because of this, they have a fancy algorithm for staying balanced while walking around, and it basically means that this is Drunken Combat Simulator.

Toribash

Also a physics based fighting game, but this one is more like chess than wrestling. Instead of predefined attacks, the player controls each individual joint on their character, and, once both players have done whatever modifications they want, the game is advanced by around 10 frames. In most game modes, someone wins when either A) the other person is disqualified for touching the ground with something other than a foot or a hand, B) the other person is disqualified for going out of bounds, or C) the round ends (usually rounds are about 500 frames) and they did more damage than the other person. Once you get really good at this you can do crazy maneuvers like ripping your own arm off and throwing it like a boomerang at the other person, then grabbing them with the disembodied arm and unbalancing them.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 28, 2016

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
LSD on the original Playstation sounds pretty odd. Never came to the west so I never played it, but I would have played the crap out of it as a teenager if it had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol4OSIGGukA

You're exploring randomly generated dream environments made with primitive ps1 graphics. I assume it would be a very lonely, spooky experience.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Crow_Rodeo posted:

I really like Uplink by Introversion. for those who have not played it's a simulation of early 90's Hollywood style computer hacking, and it's a blast. The soundtrack is killer too.

Also Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was suitably weird for a lovecraft game. it even had a sanity meter where looking too long at ancient horrors could drive you mad.

Uplink is pretty rad and in a similar vein there's (freeware!) Endgame: Singularity where you play as an accidentally created AI trying to stay hidden while also trying to grow more powerful.

It is fairly simple but also cool.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

Music Theory posted:

That one had a lot of weird stuff that I wish was still in the newer ones in at least some capacity. Like the mayor asking you to take care of the lighthouse, or the summer minigames thing.

Whoa dude! Also, didn't they make another weird game involving color that was set in some sort of purgatory?

Space Station 13

An atmospheric simulation that requires 2D spacemen to function correctly. Each round, antagonists are chosen from available players. The antagonists' job is to make things interesting (usually by antagonizing people), and everyone else's job is to do whatever and not die. Part of what makes it interesting is the Dwarf-Fortress-style layering of a bunch of systems, creating a wide variety of interactions that you can take advantage of. The other interesting thing is that, because the goals are so vaguely defined, there are a lot of rounds where the antagonists or crew decide to do some crazy thing, and the other group responds with something even crazier. A lot of people have tried to make similar games, but they all fail in the "tons of systems" department.

SS13 is a little hard to wrap your head around at first, but it is very open ended and fun - I usually grew a bunch of rainbow space weed and tried to get the whole space station high

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

mysterious frankie posted:

LSD on the original Playstation sounds pretty odd. Never came to the west so I never played it, but I would have played the crap out of it as a teenager if it had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol4OSIGGukA

You're exploring randomly generated dream environments made with primitive ps1 graphics. I assume it would be a very lonely, spooky experience.

LSD (the game) is amazing

It inspired one of my all time favorite games – Yume Nikki – too

MrWillsauce

Space Funeral is one of my favorite things

Three-Phase

by zen death robot
OFF is amazing and surreal.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Three-Phase

by zen death robot

MrWillsauce posted:

Space Funeral is one of my favorite things

http://youtu.be/F1hMfs_SOjY

"What do you do Dracula?"

----------------

MrWillsauce

I beat the king of crime. I used a bible on him.

Emmideer

Lovely night, no?
The Void

Or really anything by Ice-Pick Lodge. I love those Russian weirdos.

----------------

Music Theory

Krunge posted:

The Void

This is the one where color is an important & finite resource, right?

Emmideer

Lovely night, no?

Music Theory posted:

yup

----------------

giacomo

Giant Jenga is an unusual game. Why is it so large?

qwertytrewq

LogicalFallacy

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Anodyne
No fancy thumbnail unfortunately.

Anodyne is an interesting game that seems to take inspiration from Yume Nikki. You are a fellow named Young, and you must fight and explore your way through your subconscious.
You are armed with a broom and appear to have some... issues that need working through.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Music Theory posted:

and you give it to naked girls

social vegan

viva pinata owns so hard

Darkman Fanpage

social vegan posted:

viva pinata owns so hard

it did. gently caress those bad pinatas that hosed up my garden though

social vegan

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it did. gently caress those bad pinatas that hosed up my garden though

everyttime I play I spend two hours trying to figure out which plant I thought was good is actually hurting everyone

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Speaking of weird console games, Rez is one of the best and strangest besides Seaman. Rez was developed by some of the same people responsible for Panzer Dragoon and is still probably one of the best shooter experiences out there.

Rez was originally released on the Dreamcast but then received a PS2 port. The Japanese PS2 version came with one of the most notorious peripherals -- a vibrator that kept time with the game. Rez is a rhythm based rail shooter where you play as a hacker on a deep dive in an AI overwhelmed by her recent achievement of self-awareness. Your shots integrate with the music, and the better you are, the better that sounds. The electronic soundtrack and in-game visualizer created a synaesthetic experience that was pretty unique at the time and, in my opinion, hasn't been matched very often since.

Rez received an HD release on XBox Live some years back, but I don't know if it's still available on the current iteration of that service. A sequel, Children of Eden, was released in 2011. A remake of Rez is due next month for the PS VR peripheral.

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Tail of the Sun is another weird PS1 game.

It's kind of a weird open world game where you are a caveman and you run around and eat fruit and kill poo poo.

The ultimate goal of the game is to get enough bones and crap to build a tower to the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GATC5GDoIss

ANUSTART

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Raw Danger is a real dumb and good PS2 game, the classic and clunky charming kind that don't really get made much less localized anymore.

You have to try and stay warm and dry and eat while surviving completely ridiculous situations and uncover the ~PLOT~ across the stories of five (or six technically? i only really remember four) goofy characters all in lovely situations during the storm, making dumbass choices along the way. There is an annoying mechanic where you can yell 'HEY' or 'WHATS THAT' depending on the character and it is a really good way to piss off people you're living with. also you get to play as a taxi driver and try to outrun the RAW DANGER in a taxi with real good driving mechanics. when they localized this game they made like all the characters blonde and Ramen became Hamburger because America etc. I found a copy for $5 at Toys R Us and it was packaged with christmas box like it was begging to be given away but I kept it out of greed and curiousity and was amazed, RIP Playstation 2.

also like the cover says, epic visuals. this isn't really a strange or unusual indie game but i wanted to talk about it

big black turnout

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Speaking of weird console games, Rez is one of the best and strangest besides Seaman. Rez was developed by some of the same people responsible for Panzer Dragoon and is still probably one of the best shooter experiences out there.

Rez was originally released on the Dreamcast but then received a PS2 port. The Japanese PS2 version came with one of the most notorious peripherals -- a vibrator that kept time with the game. Rez is a rhythm based rail shooter where you play as a hacker on a deep dive in an AI overwhelmed by her recent achievement of self-awareness. Your shots integrate with the music, and the better you are, the better that sounds. The electronic soundtrack and in-game visualizer created a synaesthetic experience that was pretty unique at the time and, in my opinion, hasn't been matched very often since.

Rez received an HD release on XBox Live some years back, but I don't know if it's still available on the current iteration of that service. A sequel, Children of Eden, was released in 2011. A remake of Rez is due next month for the PS VR peripheral.

thank you for posting this. i was thinking about rez the other day but had no idea what it was called since i had only played it once at a friend's house like a decade or so ago. it was a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rack

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Brain Dead 13

I've never played Dragon's Lair or anything, so this was my only exposure into 'interactive' fmv type games. First released in 1995 for dos, it saw releases on all of the major consoles of its time. I remember not fully understanding why it was fun, or if it was, but the work that went into the animation and design was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaTTI2qyT4Y

• Locked thread