Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

There are too many companies making IWB holsters. Can somebody who regularly carries a J-frame S&W recommend an IWB holster for comfortable daily wear? I'd prefer if the respondent has had experience carrying with a variety of IWB holsters. Please include your likes/dislikes. Thank you! I AM NOT GETTING PAID TO COLLECT CONSUMER DATA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

I use a dale fricke archangel.

But honestly, send Butch Cassidy an IM because he makes great holsters and I love the one he made for my USPC.

ETA:

i carry with archangel AIWB. It has a nice secure hold on the firearm and I have never had any issues with the gun not feeling secure. It's all kydex so it's not as comfortable as a leather backed holster, but I definitely prefer the rigidity that it provides.

Downsides is that in the summer it gets abit uncomfortable if I don't wear an undershirt, but that's a factor with all kydex holsters I think.

As for butch Cassidy's holster, it works just as well as the Archangel, but at a quarter of the price. He also has faster turn around times and can customize the holster to your liking.

I've carried with a hybrid MTAC before. It is not suited at all for AIWB carry, but worked fine for carrying around 4-5 o clock. It did feel bulky at times and sometimes the hooks disconnected from my belt, but it also made it really easy to quickly put on and off. With the belt loops it is slower to take off and put on, but feels a lot more secure.

SirDrinksAlot fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 27, 2016

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

I don't usually carry my J frame on my belt line much these days but when I use to more often it was in a Garrett Industries silent thunder II AIWB holster

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I don't usually carry my J frame on my belt line much these days but when I use to more often it was in a Garrett Industries silent thunder II AIWB holster

Where do you carry your J frame? Please say Berns-Martin Lightning-style holster with the muzzle pointed straight up. gently caress your brachial artery, you'll look badass when you take off your coat.

I carry at about 3:30 in a Desantis Pocket Tuk. Note: the picture on the Amazon page is not exactly the same as what you get. Also pretty sure that's not a J-Frame.

It's good for round butts:

and square butts (lol):

Here's the backside of it. Note the reinforcement - it's pretty thick up top.

The good things about it are:
- stays put
- adjustable cant
- tuckable (although your belt clip has a unicorn on it, if anyone's that close to look)
- technically also a pocket holster if you remove the clip entirely. But you'd have to have some big drat pockets. Maybe for cargo shorts, but I would not recommend it.
- durable leather -
- holds the gun well
- easy to reholster one-handed: the opening stays open.
- inexpensive.

The bad things:
- That reinforced leather edge on the opening really gets uncomfortable if you don't have something between you and it. If my undershirt rides up, it chafes badly.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/store/lite-duty-holsters/bare-asset/

This was my favorite. It's cheap and no thrills but it's fantastic.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Where do you carry your J frame? Please say Berns-Martin Lightning-style holster with the muzzle pointed straight up. gently caress your brachial artery, you'll look badass when you take off your coat.

I carry at about 3:30 in a Desantis Pocket Tuk. Note: the picture on the Amazon page is not exactly the same as what you get. Also pretty sure that's not a J-Frame.

It's good for round butts:

and square butts (lol):

Here's the backside of it. Note the reinforcement - it's pretty thick up top.

The good things about it are:
- stays put
- adjustable cant
- tuckable (although your belt clip has a unicorn on it, if anyone's that close to look)
- technically also a pocket holster if you remove the clip entirely. But you'd have to have some big drat pockets. Maybe for cargo shorts, but I would not recommend it.
- durable leather -
- holds the gun well
- easy to reholster one-handed: the opening stays open.
- inexpensive.

The bad things:
- That reinforced leather edge on the opening really gets uncomfortable if you don't have something between you and it. If my undershirt rides up, it chafes badly.

Appendix (~1 o'clock). I can't imagine why I'd ever carry a gun as you describe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Flavor Truck, are you a righty?

If so, I have a straight-drop (appendix carry) Galco Stow-N-Go and a forward cant High Noon bare asset or whatever model to carry strongside just behind the hip. Both fit a J-frame, are not particularly used, have a wide single belt clip, and I can loan them to you. If you like one, you can just drop a twenty or something in the return envelope with the other or just return both if you don't like 'em.

And I'll be honest that clip grips or the screw-on clips have grown on me. You can still use a conventional holster with careful selection yet be able to securely tuck the gun for a quick trip outside or tucked into your jammies when answering the door at night. They make a J-frame that much more convenient but do make pocket carry a little bulkier. Many hate the concept and it's understandable so YMMV.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I like clipgrips

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Flavor Truck, are you a righty?

If so, I have a straight-drop (appendix carry) Galco Stow-N-Go and a forward cant High Noon bare asset or whatever model to carry strongside just behind the hip. Both fit a J-frame, are not particularly used, have a wide single belt clip, and I can loan them to you. If you like one, you can just drop a twenty or something in the return envelope with the other or just return both if you don't like 'em.

And I'll be honest that clip grips or the screw-on clips have grown on me. You can still use a conventional holster with careful selection yet be able to securely tuck the gun for a quick trip outside or tucked into your jammies when answering the door at night. They make a J-frame that much more convenient but do make pocket carry a little bulkier. Many hate the concept and it's understandable so YMMV.

I'm a fffuuuuuuckin' lefty, my dude. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

DeesGrandpa posted:

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/store/lite-duty-holsters/bare-asset/

This was my favorite. It's cheap and no thrills but it's fantastic.

After reading several reviews on other IWB J Frame holsters, I'm going to go with this one as a first try. The emphasis on the "barely there" thin leather appeals to me. I'll come back a couple of weeks after I start carrying with this and report.

• Locked thread