Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [43F] declined to be my friend's [41F] MoH or bridesmaid and it's causing issues.

I'm someone who is planning to be single for life. I've realized I am not really cut out for long term relationships as I like to do much own thing a little too much. I'm fine with that but my core friend group at the moment are generally other single men and women my age so it's not as if I'm lonely or feeling left out.

I am also an organizer and I have a bit of a reputation in my group as an excellent Maid of Honor- I have done it 7 times now over the last decade and my spreadsheets and Trello boards are something equally laughed and and revered (yes I know I'm ridiculous and a bit extra but they really do help keep track of things) but in the end, the people I spend effort on have always shown me how much they appreciate it even if they think I'm a bit extra.

I have had a high school friend who I've known for awhile now. She's never been happy single but it's taken her awhile to fine the one (she's been seeing this guy for about 2.5 years).

Anyway immediately after she met this guy, she predictable cut back the time she was spending with me quite dramatically. I don't blame her, it's the normal thing to do but I went from seeing her once a week to maybe once a month at best or once every 3-4 months over the last few years and it's always with me initiating a meetup.

A year into her relationship, I stopped initiating meetups at all so our interactions have been occasional texts like once a month or her liking my social media posts. In the meantime, I turned to other friends and networks and life moves on, at 43, it's not the first or last time this has happened, this sort of thing really hit it's peak when I was in my late 20s to mid 30's so to avoid being lonely, I have a wide network of people and social hobbies.

However I got a phone call from her saying that she was engaged so I congratulated her and did all the usual "how did he propose?" and the ooohing and ahhing over the picture of the ring etc.

She then asked me to be a MoH. I was honestly not expecting this because we haven't talked in person or on the phone in over a year and half and she hadn't bothered to reach out to meet up at all. I don't feel close to her anymore and honestly I was only expecting to be invited as a guest (if at all, normally the older you get, the smaller your wedding gets).

I guess my problem is that I was diplomatic, I told her I didn't have the time to take on MoH duties as I was very busy (which is true but I would have made time for a closer friend). She then asked me to be in the bridal party and I again mentioned that I didn't really have time.

She's gotten upset with me because I've been a mutual friend's MoH last year for a friend and helped a lot with the wedding planning and stuff in general because my friend and her fiance faced a family emergency + illness at the time, to the point where even the groom was singing my praises at the thank you speech.

But my friend, even though she was in relationship, still met up with me twice a week and we'd have nice phone calls at least once a week. She was present and showed she valued the relationship so I stepped up for her when she needed help. And helping her did take a lot out of me for the 6 months when things were critical but I don't regret it. I feel like with this particular friend, there wouldn't be any payback really for any effort that I would put in.

But I didn't want to get into all of that with this individual because I knew it was just giving her ammunition and opening up a can over worms that wasn't going to be easily resolved. I know from enough experience when I've brought issues of not spending lots of time together up, "friends" have thrown my single status in my face as a derogatory thing so now I let people who want to be in my life make the effort and I understand if people put their partner's first but when I have a set of friends who will spend time with me frequently and regularly irrespective of relationship status, I will focus my energy and affection there.

I offered to give her my spreadsheets and Trello board to help her out with the wedding planning because I was started to get a sense that she just wanted a free wedding planner in the guise of a MoH rather than me in particular. The conversation kept revolving around how good I was at planning things etc not "I really want to share this experience with you".

It's now causing issues in my friend group because other mutual friends have agreed to be bridesmaids but no MoH and people assumed that I would be it.

A lot of my friends are completely understanding of the time commitment and the distance and support me but now if I get tagged in a FB post doing an escape room or something - on someone else's wall, I get a passive aggressive comment like "OMG Decent_Moose you look like you had a great time!" from her when she's never bothered before

Recently, I got a wall of text from her saying she thought we were better friends that than and that she thought I'd be there for her. I haven't responded so I got another wall of text about how she missed our friendship and she wonders why I never kept in touch. I commented back with a neutral "Life happens doesn't it?"

She's then gone and told other mutual friends that I have tendency to cut friends off once they get into a relationship because I'm bitter or jealous and I'm single. At this point, it was kind of predictable that my single status would come up but it still hurts every time.

Luckily, my friends have completely had my back on this and one even threatened to drop out of the bridal party but I'm at a complete loss here on how to proceed. I've never had someone do this do me, usually if we drift apart, we drift apart, I've never had someone come back and try to make me part of their bridal party.

What do I do here?

TLDR: Friend who didn't put effort into our friendship after she got into a relationship wants me to be MoH. I declined and now she's bad mouthing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking my birth control in public?

He went on, “you should probably go to the bathroom to do that. It’s really not polite to take that kind of pill in front of a group of people. We get it, you have sex.”

That guy is not getting sex and is hot and bothered enough about it that that pill amounts to bragging.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Man this post gives me serious anxiety.

Also, wonder what industry cratered 3 years ago. Is it something we millennials killed?

Maybe related to real estate? My family lost a solid family surveying business when all that poo poo went crazy and it sounds exactly like what he's describing.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

soooo everyone at this table is single now?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe related to real estate? My family lost a solid family surveying business when all that poo poo went crazy and it sounds exactly like what he's describing.

It was a one man business so it could be something as basic as tree removal and stump grinding.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [43F] declined to be my friend's [41F] MoH or bridesmaid and it's causing issues.

I'm someone who is planning to be single for life. I've realized I am not really cut out for long term relationships as I like to do much own thing a little too much. I'm fine with that but my core friend group at the moment are generally other single men and women my age so it's not as if I'm lonely or feeling left out.

I am also an organizer and I have a bit of a reputation in my group as an excellent Maid of Honor- I have done it 7 times now over the last decade and my spreadsheets and Trello boards are something equally laughed and and revered (yes I know I'm ridiculous and a bit extra but they really do help keep track of things) but in the end, the people I spend effort on have always shown me how much they appreciate it even if they think I'm a bit extra.

I have had a high school friend who I've known for awhile now. She's never been happy single but it's taken her awhile to fine the one (she's been seeing this guy for about 2.5 years).

Anyway immediately after she met this guy, she predictable cut back the time she was spending with me quite dramatically. I don't blame her, it's the normal thing to do but I went from seeing her once a week to maybe once a month at best or once every 3-4 months over the last few years and it's always with me initiating a meetup.

A year into her relationship, I stopped initiating meetups at all so our interactions have been occasional texts like once a month or her liking my social media posts. In the meantime, I turned to other friends and networks and life moves on, at 43, it's not the first or last time this has happened, this sort of thing really hit it's peak when I was in my late 20s to mid 30's so to avoid being lonely, I have a wide network of people and social hobbies.

However I got a phone call from her saying that she was engaged so I congratulated her and did all the usual "how did he propose?" and the ooohing and ahhing over the picture of the ring etc.

She then asked me to be a MoH. I was honestly not expecting this because we haven't talked in person or on the phone in over a year and half and she hadn't bothered to reach out to meet up at all. I don't feel close to her anymore and honestly I was only expecting to be invited as a guest (if at all, normally the older you get, the smaller your wedding gets).

I guess my problem is that I was diplomatic, I told her I didn't have the time to take on MoH duties as I was very busy (which is true but I would have made time for a closer friend). She then asked me to be in the bridal party and I again mentioned that I didn't really have time.

She's gotten upset with me because I've been a mutual friend's MoH last year for a friend and helped a lot with the wedding planning and stuff in general because my friend and her fiance faced a family emergency + illness at the time, to the point where even the groom was singing my praises at the thank you speech.

But my friend, even though she was in relationship, still met up with me twice a week and we'd have nice phone calls at least once a week. She was present and showed she valued the relationship so I stepped up for her when she needed help. And helping her did take a lot out of me for the 6 months when things were critical but I don't regret it. I feel like with this particular friend, there wouldn't be any payback really for any effort that I would put in.

But I didn't want to get into all of that with this individual because I knew it was just giving her ammunition and opening up a can over worms that wasn't going to be easily resolved. I know from enough experience when I've brought issues of not spending lots of time together up, "friends" have thrown my single status in my face as a derogatory thing so now I let people who want to be in my life make the effort and I understand if people put their partner's first but when I have a set of friends who will spend time with me frequently and regularly irrespective of relationship status, I will focus my energy and affection there.

I offered to give her my spreadsheets and Trello board to help her out with the wedding planning because I was started to get a sense that she just wanted a free wedding planner in the guise of a MoH rather than me in particular. The conversation kept revolving around how good I was at planning things etc not "I really want to share this experience with you".

It's now causing issues in my friend group because other mutual friends have agreed to be bridesmaids but no MoH and people assumed that I would be it.

A lot of my friends are completely understanding of the time commitment and the distance and support me but now if I get tagged in a FB post doing an escape room or something - on someone else's wall, I get a passive aggressive comment like "OMG Decent_Moose you look like you had a great time!" from her when she's never bothered before

Recently, I got a wall of text from her saying she thought we were better friends that than and that she thought I'd be there for her. I haven't responded so I got another wall of text about how she missed our friendship and she wonders why I never kept in touch. I commented back with a neutral "Life happens doesn't it?"

She's then gone and told other mutual friends that I have tendency to cut friends off once they get into a relationship because I'm bitter or jealous and I'm single. At this point, it was kind of predictable that my single status would come up but it still hurts every time.

Luckily, my friends have completely had my back on this and one even threatened to drop out of the bridal party but I'm at a complete loss here on how to proceed. I've never had someone do this do me, usually if we drift apart, we drift apart, I've never had someone come back and try to make me part of their bridal party.

What do I do here?

TLDR: Friend who didn't put effort into our friendship after she got into a relationship wants me to be MoH. I declined and now she's bad mouthing me.

Woman knows you have a reputation for doing great planning work, gets mad when you won't do it for her. Her friends have her back, so who loving cares? :sever:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’ve been taking oral contraceptives for about 6 years now. When I first started, I was worried about what other people would think (I was raised in a pretty “sex-is-taboo” household) and hid that I was taking them very well. Now, however, I’m in my mid twenties and I’m comfortable enough in my skin that I don’t really mind if people know I’m on the pill.

Anyway, I was out on a double date with a couple we know last night and the alarm on my watch started going off (vibration). It was time for me to take my pill. While we’re all chatting, I reach down into my purse that’s beside me in the booth and get my pill, put it in my mouth, and take a drink of water. Whole thing probably took 30 seconds.

My friend didn’t comment, but her boyfriend made a face and said “did you just take something?”

I said “yeah, my birth control.”

He made another face and said, “that’s inappropriate don’t you think?”

I just kind of exchanged a look with my boyfriend who seemed as lost as I was. I mumbled an “uh, ok” cause I hate confrontation.

He went on, “you should probably go to the bathroom to do that. It’s really not polite to take that kind of pill in front of a group of people. We get it, you have sex.”

I really had no idea what to say, so my boyfriend changed the subject to the game that was on over our heads at the bar and the night carried on.

I was pretty much floored. Wtf? I had been doing this for a while now, any time I’m out and my alarm goes off, I’ll just take my pill and go about my day. Wouldn’t it be like taking any other medication? Or Advil? I don’t really see the problem. AITA?

A shameful boyfriend.

I would have roasted that guy until he cried.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My (21m) roommate is becoming extremely obsessed with my (f21) feet and it’s becoming a problem. What do I do?

Licarn posted:

My boyfriend (21m) of 6 years just lost a bet to me (21f) and won’t pay me the money. I’m really angry. What do I do?

This lady is a Chris Sanders character.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for nicknaming my blind mother-in-law Roomba?

quote:

She lives with me and my wife and our children. She's completely blind but knows our house well and finds her way about, in part, by lightly bumping into things and then changing directions.

She has a great sense of humor and thinks the nickname is funny, as do our kids. (I don't call her Roomba all the time, only sometimes when she is navigating around the house.)

But my wife hates it, and says I am being an A-hole.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

:lol:

Probably yes but that nickname is pretty great, especially if she's ok with it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Clitch posted:

A shameful boyfriend.

yeah, the correct response when that guy says "we get it, you have sex" is "wait, do you not?" and stare him down and just don't let up on that line of questioning until he storms out.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Kuros posted:

NTA, she has a sense of humor about her limitation and so does he and this is far healthier than never mentioning it and alienating her by never speaking of her blindness.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for 'outing' my ex as a father?

quote:

My ex, Josh, and I have a five year old son, Alex. We split when Alex was a year old, and we decided I'd have primary custody because he moved in with a bunch of roommates, but he asked to have Alex every other weekend.

Well, Josh paid child support, but he kept making excuses every weekend as to why he couldn't have Alex overnight (roommates having a party, his friend needed help moving, roommates having guests, his sister was in town, etc.) and after the first six months or so, I just stopped bugging him about it and he just stopped even making excuses. He didn't see Alex at all from ages 2-4.

Last year, his roommate situation changed, he distanced himself from his toxic friend group, and his parents were putting pressure on him, so Josh asked if he could have Alex for one weekend a month. After setting up some playdates to make sure Alex was comfortable with him (since he was basically a stranger at this point), we went ahead with that plan. And it's been great, Alex loves his dad and they have a great time together, and Josh expressed interest in having him over more weekends now. It's also been nice to have some 'time off' being a single mom. Great. Good news.

Except... I'm not a big social media person, but I checked Facebook in December and noticed that Josh has been posting a lot of pictures of Alex over the last year... and he never indicated that Alex was his son. He keeps calling him his 'friend' or 'his little buddy.' Someone even asked who Alex was and he said, "He's my little bud!" Something about this rubbed me the wrong way. I feel like I've been incredibly 'chill' about this process, maybe moreso than I should have, but the fact that he isn't even claiming Alex as his son is really lovely. I was worried he wasn't even telling his friends that this was his kid.

So, next time he posted Alex, I commented basically saying, 'I'm glad Alex is having a great time with his dad!' and proved my hypothesis; everyone was like, 'You have a kid???' 'This is your kid???' 'You never mentioned having a kid!'

Josh was furious at me, deleted the post when he saw it, and basically said it's his business to tell his friends and social circle about his life. My sister also said I was being petty, but she said I have an excuse because he's been so absent. Was it an rear end in a top hat move to 'out' him like this?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol get hosed, guy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Who are these people that weren't tremendously creeped out by him hanging out with a small child but upset when its his son?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The only pill that floozy needs is a single aspirin she has to keep held between her knees.

Of course there is absolutely no way to have sex when the woman's knees are together. No Godly way, that is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

Who are these people that weren't tremendously creeped out by him hanging out with a small child but upset when its his son?

I guess they thought it was like a nephew

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess they thought it was like a nephew

You would say that instead of "my little buddy". I dont go on social media but if I did that would be a "I should call the cops, right?" moment.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Clitch posted:

A shameful boyfriend.

That guy is such a shithead. Asking about someone's medication is out of line as it is, and having a tantrum because it is BC is even worse. He needs a swirlie in the worst way.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Her new goal for 2020 should be timing all her pill times when he is there

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Barudak posted:

You would say that instead of "my little buddy". I dont go on social media but if I did that would be a "I should call the cops, right?" moment.
No, calling a kid my little guy/buddy/man is a normal thing and if you see someone, especially someone you know and doesn't send of pedo vibes for other reasons, doing that the assumption will be that it's their kid/brother/nephew etc, not a stranger that they've kidnapped. I'm surprised none of them asked him who it was, though; maybe they did and he lied. Jumping to considering calling the cops is not normal.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

datajugend posted:

Her new goal for 2020 should be timing all her pill times when he is there

Or just hide it in a piece of cheese so his dog level intelligence brain doesn't understand she's taking a pill.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Bonus point if she shouts BOOONE?! Like captain holt if he comments on it again

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No, calling a kid my little guy/buddy/man is a normal thing and if you see someone, especially someone you know and doesn't send of pedo vibes for other reasons, doing that the assumption will be that it's their kid/brother/nephew etc, not a stranger that they've kidnapped. I'm surprised none of them asked him who it was, though; maybe they did and he lied. Jumping to considering calling the cops is not normal.

I meant if I asked "hey who is this kid" and instead of any response like "hes my nephew" or "its a [x]'s kid" I got the abovementioned extremely evasive "hes my little buddy" I would be concerned.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm surprised none of them asked him who it was, though

Maybe I should spoiler this: nobody on social media gives a poo poo about you, and they certainly don't think that deeply about what you post unless some drama forces them to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Without any other context, I would think the little buddy insistence was protecting the privacy of the kid's relationship to the poster, which hiding the fact that it was his son was.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

They did ask and he said my little budd

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

he was just holding a budd light in the picture, easy mistake

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lucrece posted:

AITA for 'outing' my ex as a father?

This dude should go gently caress himself, both for being an absentee dad for so many years and for his online behavior. What an rear end in a top hat

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

I dont get why he didnt just draw a beard on the kid.

My buddy Frank from work

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some friends of mine are raising a niece where they do some verbal work to avoid awkward questions without actually misrepresenting her as their kid (from busybodies who it's none of their business), but at least she knows she's family to them. Basically the opposite of that guy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My girlfriend [27F] got upset with me and said that she can never depend on me [27M] because I refused to do something for her that is potentially illegal

quote:

Spoke to my girlfriend this morning who says she is suffering from a sinus infection and asked if I could call in some antibiotics for her and pretend it's for an animal (I'm a veterinarian). And I told her I wouldn't do it. That would be committing prescription fraud and I wouldn't want to risk losing my lisence or even potentially going to jail if found out.

She gave me the silent treatment the rest of the day and was ignoring my calls and texts. I spoke with her and then she told me she was upset and feels like she cant count on me and brought up some stuff from a year ago when she had told one of her friends that I would sign some papers for her dog to fly on a plane, but then I told her I wouldnt do to not having a doctor patient relationship with the dog and another instance in the past where she asked if I could help her out with some rent money and if I could download venmo to transfer it. I said I wasnt comfortable using venmo (I guess I'm just cautious) but that I could give it to her in person a few days later and she got all upset and give me the same speech then.

Am I being unreasonable here? Just want some 3rd party opinions

TL;DR - Gf wanted me to prescribe her antibiotics under a fake 'dog' and I refused to. She said she cant depend on me.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"How can you say you love me if you won't risk losing your vet license for me? :qq:"

E: also I don't know what Venmo is but it sounds shady as hell given the context

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a vet you should know this relationship has had a good run but its time to put it down

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
pfft, fuckin' narc.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"How can you say you love me if you won't risk losing your vet license for me? :qq:"

E: also I don't know what Venmo is but it sounds shady as hell given the context

Just a cash transfer app, like using Google Wallet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's an app people use to send money to each other, it's fine, I've used it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Venmo is like Paypal but without the web integration. It's just folks through the app sending money to each other. As far as I know the app's not shady, but last I heard it was treated like sending cash so if, for example, someone got ahold of your phone and sent themselves your bank account's contents Venmo wouldn't do anything to help.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Dude was trying to make it sound like he was doing that Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization thing because one weekend a month is a lot of time to spend with a kid who’s not yours (so he looks good) and not that much time to spend with a kid who is yours (so he looks like a jerk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not going to my brothers wedding over 'politics'?

My brother and his fiancee love Gambia, they have been there many times, they love the people there, the vibe etc. This is their absolute dream wedding, with a very small amount of family and friends in a guesthouse of friend they met on their travels there.

Me and my long time girlfriend are both female, so we do not want to attend because of the anti lgbt laws in Gambia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Gambia).

My brother assures us there is no problem if we go, the laws are aimed mostly at gay men and that all Gambian people they met were not homophobic at all. He and his fiancee have met many other travellers there that were gay, and they never had problems as long as they were careful. I do believe this, and we aren't a couple that is into PDA anyway, so it wouldn't be hard to pretend to be friends.

I still do not want to go to this country and frankly think it's wrong that my brother chooses to celebrate his love in a country where mine is illegal.

Our parents are very angry at me for this. Their view is that nothing would happen to us, so they cannot believe I would miss my brothers wedding over 'politics'. They point out many gay people travel to Gambia every year just for a holiday and so why can't we do it for my brothers wedding?

My brother is more understanding, but very upset as they honestly never anticipated this because of their very positive experiences there. They were very excited to be able to share this place they love so much with the people they love the most.

WIBTA for staying with my original decision of not going?