Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
edit: nevermind

Danaru fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just move your character to another Expert world and fight the bosses with all your stuff that you've already got.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DoubleNegative posted:

We actually already have the horseshoe! So we no longer take falling damage.

I think he might have meant a different, not yet seen accessory that would also prevent death by getting knocked into a miles-deep chasm.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#13 - Heartbreaker

I'm feeling good about today. I think it's time we applied those lessons we learned last time.

Even if it does mean we have to temporarily deconstruct the centerpieces of our old arena. We'll return the campfire and heart lantern once we're done with them.

Terraria Soundtrack Vol. 2 - Crimson

Terraria Soundtrack Vol. 3 - Underground Crimson

First we need to fix the leaks.

As such, all passageways are going to be sealed up with gray stone bricks. These, by the way, are my absolute favorite building material. 2 regular stone makes 1 brick, and it has a nice classy look to it.

We need to break three more crimson hearts as well. There is an item to summon the Brain of Cthulhu manually, but it requires vile mushrooms, which only grow on crimson infested soil. Naturally we don't want any of that near our base, which makes them kind of troublesome to farm in large quantities.

Our next heart reward is a really good magic weapon, the Crimson Rod.

This is the item from the third heart from last time. This is a mobile light source, believe it or not.

On the second page of our equipment is a slot for light-providing items. They're few and far in between, and for the most part are utterly useless. So while I have this equipped, most of the time I have its graphics turned off because it barely puts out any light and spends most of its time getting in the way of what I'm trying to do.

This is the Crimson Rod. The blood rain hits a small area, but you can set it up in a chokepoint to create a wall of death. We'll put this to very good use in the Brain refight.

Here's what the rain cloud and heart both look like.

In the odd chance that the dynamite doesn't destroy a heart, we can break it manually. You need to use a hammer to do so, though.

Of course, when you have TNT, why bother with less effective tools?

Sure, why not?

As you can see, the rain is pretty effective at melting enemies.

Gigantic image, I know. But here's our finished arena. Sure it's just four rows of platforms with a campfire/lantern combo in the center, but it does let us maneuver around better.

Are you guys ready for the rematch?

Because that poo poo is on.

Terraria Soundtrack - Boss 3

Brain of Cthulhu Fight

For some reason this theme isn't on the Bandcamp pages.

I meant to seal up the tunnel. It... didn't quite work out that way. Didn't even catch any of the Creepers in the blast.

The second fight progresses a lot better than the first. The platforms give us a lot more mobility, and the Crimson Rod lets us (literally) rain death on our enemies. The Creepers are also all too happy to spend time under the "nice soothing" blood rain.

Sealing off the main chamber and placing down platforms also gave the tissue samples and crimtane a variety of well lit places to fall, for easier collecting later.

When all of the Creepers finally die, the Brain gets pissed off. It has 1000 health and attacks by trying to chain teleport on top of you. As long as you can dodge around it, you've pretty much won by the time you've gotten to the second phase.

I would have more gifs of the process, but the Brain fight is rather hard to capture animations of. All my attempts ended up about 170% larger than LPix allows.

Killing the Brain only gets you nominal rewards. The Creepers have the actual rewards out of the fight. They drop most of the crimtane and tissue samples.

We also got this awful looking abomination as a reward.

The third crimson heart gave us another one of these.

Enough of that faffing around. Let's get back home and make some armor!

Both attempts at the Brain netted us 211 crimtane and 53 tissue samples. That should be more than enough for our needs!

Counting the bars we already had, we now have 77 bars to play with.

The Deathbringer Pickaxe is a massive upgrade. We're up to 70% pickaxe power, and we can now mine something called Hellstone.

Next is some new armor. The entire Crimson set takes 60 crimtane bars and 45 tissue samples. We have just barely enough of each.

We lose a single point of defense over the Platinum armor, but we gain 6% increased damage and "Greatly Increased Life Regen."

I also think this is a good place to call it for now. We're much better equipped than we were just a short while ago, and now the world is our oyster.

NEXT TIME: Lava, and Meteors, and Goblins... Oh my!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 8, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9bsXzUKl4

Somehow for the second consecutive update, I've managed to forget the boss fight video.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
For those following along for the first time, it's worth pointing out that life regeneration is Quite Good, and having as much on hand as possible is central to multiple defensive strategies (hence having both a campfire and a heart lantern handy for fights).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I remember when the initial light pet used to be good/somewhat decent. Then it got nerfed to near uselessness a few months after release.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I really like the style of crimson armor, and it works great with a lot of dyes. As for the brain, he's way less interesting than his corrupted counterpart but otherwise I can't say much about the boss because i don't remember any of the times I fought him save that I used a lot of rope, for some reason.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Dr. Fetus posted:

I remember when the initial light pet used to be good/somewhat decent. Then it got nerfed to near uselessness a few months after release.

Having an entire equipment slot for light pets is useful but also a bit baffling, since there are just so few of them. I can only think of five off the top of my head, the first two being useless, the third being easily craftable shortly after a major mid-game event, the fourth being a rare drop that's only appears after another event, and the fifth coming so late in the game as to be completely pointless on top of being very rare already.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's a bit of a history of "everybody uses this? better make it poo poo."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fudge Handsome posted:

Having an entire equipment slot for light pets is useful but also a bit baffling, since there are just so few of them. I can only think of five off the top of my head, the first two being useless, the third being easily craftable shortly after a major mid-game event, the fourth being a rare drop that's only appears after another event, and the fifth coming so late in the game as to be completely pointless on top of being very rare already.

I have a spare of the fifth on my expert mode world. Every time I play I am so freaking tempted to grab it. It's really good, but does completely trivialize needing illumination from that point on. It only dropping from expert mode final boss is awesome, too. Gotta prove you don't need it before you can get it.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Do you plan on showing off a corrupted world as well, to compare the two biomes and their bosses / drops?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

1.2. made that light pet even more useless simply by changing the light's color to purple. Which barely helps you see anything and actually makes things worse in some cases. Before then, it didn't hurt to have around, even if it was questionably useful. At least the Crimson Heart is relatively fast, even if it doesn't provide much light in the end.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ousire posted:

Do you plan on showing off a corrupted world as well, to compare the two biomes and their bosses / drops?

It's planned tentatively for next Monday's update. On Thursday I'm showing off primarily the meteor biome and then the Goblin Army and Saturday is probably gonna be the next Very Special Update.

Thursday's update is probably gonna be a bit long by necessity.

Dr. Fetus posted:

1.2. made that light pet even more useless simply by changing the light's color to purple. Which barely helps you see anything and actually makes things worse in some cases. Before then, it didn't hurt to have around, even if it was questionably useful. At least the Crimson Heart is relatively fast, even if it doesn't provide much light in the end.

The Crimson Heart is awful. The Shadow Orb at least follows you through the air and provides illumination regardless. The heart bounces across the ground, and if it gets caught in terrain, it will actually sink half a screen down for no good reason, completely removing what tiny bit of illumination it provided.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Excellent. I should be able to post an expert mode eye fight video after Thursday's update then. I was waiting until you had shown off the level of gear I use before posting videos.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

The Crimson Heart is awful. The Shadow Orb at least follows you through the air and provides illumination regardless. The heart bounces across the ground, and if it gets caught in terrain, it will actually sink half a screen down for no good reason, completely removing what tiny bit of illumination it provided.

...It has collision? Whose brilliant (/sarcasm, for those who don't get context) idea was it to do THAT?! If I'm gonna rely on a floaty glowball for light, I at least want it to be able to follow me properly!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, it has collision. At least if you get far enough from it it'll turn off its collision and fly back to you.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Now that we've seen the full Brain fight I can post this fanart without spoiling anything.

Source contains SPOILERS if you go browsing for more things from the artist.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Zernach posted:

Now that we've seen the full Brain fight I can post this fanart without spoiling anything.

Source contains SPOILERS if you go browsing for more things from the artist.

All I can think of is that Brad Neely Washington video.
"He's got a wig for his wig, and a brain for his heart, he'll kick you apart, he'll kick you apart, ooh..."

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DoubleNegative posted:

Boy howdy do I agree.

They're both awful in their own ways (the shadow orb is SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW), but at least it doesn't hop up and down a sugar-hopped brat. Seriously, the thing drives me nuts.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#14 - Through Fire and Flames

Hello everyone. Today is going to be kind of long, so be sure to get comfy. We're going to start off today with yet another tutorial that's pretty necessary for playing the game.

This is the tree just to the left of our base. We're going to build something on top of it.

We're also going to need some planter boxes. The Dryad, by the way, is now selling Deathweed Planter Boxes now that we've killed the Brain of Cthulhu. The type of planter box you buy is entirely cosmetic, so we'll stick with daybloom ones for now.

20 is more than we're going to need. We're going to set up a starter farm, and as such, we won't need many planter boxes.

Indeed, we only have 3 types of seeds in our potion chest: blinkroot, daybloom, and shiverthorn.

Because it's just a greenhouse, we don't need a fancy room. So a square gray box will work wonderfully.

We also make a little staircase and a walkway at the bottom to help guide future expansion of the treefort.

Now that the basic shape of the greenhouse is taken care of, we can place our planter boxes.

Greenhouses can be in any style you like. I like to leave enough room to walk on top of each row of planters, which means 3 blocks minimum between each row. I also like to make each column of planters 5 tiles long.

If left alone, the planters will grow random wild flowers that look pretty but do nothing. They also act like regular platforms, so we can quickly move between rows.

Planting seeds is as easy as using the seeds on the planters. We don't need to water them or anything. They'll grow on their own just fine.

You can't really see the sprouts, but we've now got three types of herbs planted.

Daybloom: Found all around the forest biome. Blossoms during the day. Fully grown plants will look like a small yellow flower.

Blinkroot: Found all around the underground and cavern biomes. Blossoms whenever. Fully grown plants will subtly glow with yellow light.

Shiverthorn: Found all over the snowy biome. Blossoms whenever. Fully grown plants subtly glow with blue light. I've also found that Shiverthorn plants take longer than any other type of plant to fully grow.

There are also four other types of plants out there. We don't have the seeds, but I'll cover them now.

Moonglow: Found all over the jungle biome. Blossoms during the night. Fully grown plants will glow in the dark, and have a small blue bulb on the end.

Waterleaf: Found all over the desert and beach biomes. Blossoms only in the rain. Rain happens rarely enough that you won't have trouble distinguishing a fully grown plant from an immature one.

Deathweed: Found all over the Crimson and Corruption biomes. Blossoms only during a full moon or a blood moon. Like with waterleaf, the blossom conditions happen infrequently enough that you won't have any difficulty telling a fully grown plant from an immature one.

Fireblossom: Found in a very hot place. Blossoms only during the afternoon, between 3:45 and 7:30 PM. Will not blossom during the rain. Fully grown plants have a little red bud on top and will apparently shoot streams of sparks into the air.

All seven plant entries discuss blossoming conditions. Plants will often fully grow before the blossom conditions are met. But a harvested plant will only give up a seed for replanting during the appointed time.

Anyway, while we were messing around with a greenhouse, another meteor landed. We should really get out and see if we can find where they landed. But before we do that, we want to be prepared.

See, meteors are incredibly hot and touching the blocks will burn us pretty badly. Some people suggest explosive mining, but I have a different tactic. We're just going to make the fire a non-issue. But to do that, we need to return to our mine and go deeper than we ever have before. We need to find lava.

Let's retire our tungsten pickaxe. It served us well, so we'll give it a place of honor on our wall.

Alright, so this is the deepest we've ever gone. We were last down here while killing time before killing the Eye. That seems like ages ago now, doesn't it?

Digging straight down sounds like a great idea that can't possibly backfire. We even have our little rainstorm protecting us from above.

By the way this is approximately how much light the crimson heart gives off. It's better than nothing, but not exactly as good as a torch.

After a couple more minutes of digging, we broke through to another cavern.

We also found a yoyo at some point. This is the Rally, and it drops from underground enemies.

Yoyos are incredibly good melee weapons. I have never used them too much because they were introduced after I had long since stopped trying to play as a melee character.

Anyway, a little ways under the house up above we find this little beauty. Lava only starts spawning when you're very deep under the ground. As you might imagine, it's extremely hazardous to your health to touch it, to the tune of 60+ damage every second you're touching it plus 7 more seconds of a burning dot effect.

Now this is what we were looking for. This gargantuan lava lake is perfect for our needs. Now we just need to find some nearby water. We're going to make obsidian.

Don't gently caress with lava, folks.

Anyway, the world map shows that there's some deposits of water up above us. So we just need to convince it to flow down to the lava.

Every little bit of water will help, even these shallow pools.

It's already worked! We're talking on top of a very thin sheet of obsidian. We only need a few pieces, so this will be more than adequate. I should also point out that using the auto-mine tool (the ctrl button) will get you killed when you're mining obsidian.

loving slimes. It's not worth going back down. We have more than enough obsidian, and those coins are long since gone. They burnt up the instant they touched the lava.

Back in our base, we can turn 20 piece of obsidian into this accessory. Now we can stand on meteor blocks without catching fire. Now that we're properly equipped, let's go find that meteor.

We just have one problem: we're in the middle of a large world. Even understanding the mechanics of meteors, there's still a fuckton of places it could be.

Now I know you're out there saying, "But DoubleNegative, you didn't describe how meteors work." and you'd be right. But this is a perfect time to do so.

First off, the center 16% of the world is completely protected from meteors. They will never crash in the middle. They will also go out of their way to avoid the 25 tiles nearest a player, an NPC, or a chest. So you can protect certain areas of the world by placing chests down and meteors will never strike there.

Meteors will also strike the highest altitude block they encounter. So one could conceivably hit one of those floating lakes we saw a few updates back. Finally, when the meteor does land, it spreads out about 20 tiles from the epicenter of the crash, and converts all the surrounding tiles into meteor blocks.

So now that we're armed with this knowledge, like I said, there are still a metric fuckton of places a meteor could have landed. More than half of the surface is still in the fog of war. So I think the best place to start is by going left and looking that way.

We also finally ditched the ninja shirt, so now we're looking stylish. So, shall we?

Here's the main entrance to the cavern and no meteors yet.

Here's the backside of that hill.

This is the meteor in its entirety. That is a lot of blocks.

Terraria Soundtrack vol 1 - Eerie

This is my absolute favorite track on the soundtrack. Give it a listen.

Now, normally this would be the forest biome. But meteor is a special case.

You see, when there's more than 50 blocks of the stuff in one screen, the game says "okay you're in the meteor biome" which causes the music to change to the theme above, and makes these guys spawn. These are meteor heads, and they have almost no health. But they also don't have clipping either, and can phase through solid blocks in their desire to get to us.

Like I said, not a lot of health, but they are completely unstoppable. The crimson rod is a wonderful weapon to have while mining these blocks, because it deals just enough damage to juggle them and protect you from one side entirely. If your pickaxe is fast enough, you can also just change the direction your character is mining from and kill the meteor heads that way.

These guys will drop the usual coins, but will also occasionally drop chunks of meteor like we're mining here.

So while mining progress is kind of slow, it's not boring. It would be a lot more frustrating had we not gone out of our way to get the obsidian skull. Otherwise, just touching this block would have set us on fire for 7 seconds, which would have been a very nasty constant drain on our health.

After about a quarter of the meteor is gone, we get the best news I've seen in a while. Remember that these banners let us deal extra damage to, as well as take less damage from the monster in question.

It never gets old.

The meteor is mostly taken care of when...

The Goblin army is another random event. It can trigger at any point as long as...

1) At least 1 player has more than 200 HP
2) A shadow orb or crimson heart has been destroyed
3) A goblin invasion is not already happening

Once the criteria have been met, there's a 1/3 chance every day for the army to invade. Once we've defeated the goblins at least once, further invasions have a 1/30 chance to happen. The wiki claims "On average, a random Goblin Invasion will occur about every 12 real-world hours of playing."

Anyway, you know that goblin we found a few updates back? The one that dropped some cloth? We can manually summon a goblin army by combining 10 pieces of that cloth with some wood.

So let's head back to base, see what we can do with this meteor stuff, and then repel some goblins.

Each bar of meteorite takes 3 pieces of "ore" and we currently have 499 pieces. That's 166 bars with 1 piece of meteorite left over.

Meteorite gear is really good. How good?

We can combine 20 bars together to create a hamaxe, which... well, look at the description. A hammer and an axe together.

Or how about a loving laser gun?

How about new armor for 45 bars? The armor increases magic damage done, and look at that... the laser gun deals magic damage.

We lose a little defense, but we look awesome. Also, the meteor armor's set bonus is very important.

It makes firing the space gun absolutely free. So we now have an incredibly powerful pistol weapon that deals magic damage - that the armor is boosting -, that pierces through an infinite number of enemies, and costs nothing to fire. How could this get any better?

Do I need to say more?

We have a goddamned lightsaber. And, yes, it makes the noise.

Goblin Army video

Terraria Soundtrack vol. 3 - Goblin Army

Let's go meet these goblins head on.

These goblins are a bit overmatched.

Normally I'd describe that there's three types of goblins: warriors, thieves, and mages. Except...

Does it really matter? This isn't an invasion... it's a massacre.

The goblins drop spiky ball items. I've never really used the, but according to the wiki they're kind of like caltrops?

So yeah, in almost no time at all, we've completely wiped out their invading army. This means that we now partially qualify for a new NPC. We actually have to go out and find him first, so that'll be something to throw on the to-do pile.

I was also momentarily disappointed after the army was defeated and I didn't get two items. I didn't realize until later that one of those items no longer drops from the invasion. We'll have to instead buy it from the new NPC.

Also not naming names, but someone forgot to equip the obsidian skull and didn't realize it until it was too late. And yes, that meteor block is dealing 5 tick damage to us as long as we're standing on it.

So while running back, I take the time to put the crimson scalemail set up on a high shelf to look at.

Anyway, this is all the meteor block that's left. We've done a pretty good job of mining it out quickly.

In fact, this little guy arriving shows that we've now mined enough out that we're no longer in the meteor biome.

This massive pit is kind of dangerous. We ought to build a bridge or something.

Close enough! At least nobody can intentionally fall in now.

Here's that pit next to the first pyramid we found. Let's head off into the unknown!

When it comes to deserts, worldgen occasionally does crap like this. Remember that sand is a gravity-affected block. So worldgen will create little sub-surface caverns and then when it applies gravity, the sand all falls down and creates weird hiccups like this.

I never tire of seeing lush grass next to sandy wastelands.

Seriously, what is it with this world and hollow trees?

Looks like another cavern entrance. And... what do we have here?

I... see. Purple landscape? That can only mean one thing!

We found the second meteor.

We also found the corruption biome.

NEXT TIME: I explain what the gently caress just happened. (If you know, please don't share.)

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 8, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to find out what the gently caress just happened, too.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
That modifier you got on your lightsaberphaseblade looks like a pretty drat good one. I mean, its knockback is utter trash, but it apparently didn't have much to begin with, so it's definitely a net gain. If you want knockback you'll hit things with your hamaxe, right?

Did you get a modifier on your laser? Not that it seems to matter much, between being free due to your armor and its power.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Goblin invasions are so tedious and unfun after the first few times. The space gun definitely makes short work of them though. I like to dig a pit, wait for them to pile up, and chuck grenades at them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

That modifier you got on your lightsaberphaseblade looks like a pretty drat good one. I mean, its knockback is utter trash, but it apparently didn't have much to begin with, so it's definitely a net gain. If you want knockback you'll hit things with your hamaxe, right?

Did you get a modifier on your laser? Not that it seems to matter much, between being free due to your armor and its power.

The space gun/laser got an "Agile" modifier, which makes it fire +10% faster with +3% crit chance. It's a ridiculously good weapon, so it's going to be our primary one for a long time to come.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

The space gun/laser got an "Agile" modifier, which makes it fire +10% faster with +3% crit chance. It's a ridiculously good weapon, so it's going to be our primary one for a long time to come.

Huh. Looks like you hit the jackpot with the meteor weapons. I mean, with what you've already got... do you really need to go pick up the second meteor?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Huh. Looks like you hit the jackpot with the meteor weapons. I mean, with what you've already got... do you really need to go pick up the second meteor?

Your thinking is limited. You forget all the stuff that can be made for furnishing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hahaha you son of a bitch, Double Negative. If this is what I think it is then you deserve all the luck-hate you get.

Also, the spiky balls the goblins drop are ridiculously good. They deal great damage, infinitely pierce like the Space Gun, and bounce/roll around. They're great for, appropriately enough, the goblin invasion and other large swarms of weak enemies on flat ground. Throw a slow roller out and it makes mince meat of mobs.

Of course, you have this in space laser form, so they become obsolete unless you want to throw a few down a vertical shaft onto another ledge. Some vertically-oriented areas can be made easier with creative use, and you can pick them up again like shurikens

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So, to those playing along: The crimson armor was good. Extra regen is always great, you'll always want more where you can get it.

...The free space gun still generally beats it out handily. Most early weapons have problems with damage, range, accuracy, or an inability to handle crowds, and the space gun has all of those abilities in spades. Without getting too spoilery, it's one of the few good options for handling a major boss checkpoint coming up some time down the road. Until you've struggled with swords and boomerangs and bows, it's hard to convey just how big a step up the space gun is.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The only thing it lacks is knockback but it's a pretty drat solid weapon for the first half of the game. It's so good that I usually opt not to use it just for added challenge. It was an end game weapon many large content patches ago.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A few facts about Goblin Invasions. They used to be a little more dangerous back around 1.0.x. just because there were nowhere near as many options available to the player as are in the game now. They were also the source of two unique items, one of which I believe still drops from them and the other which is now purchasable from a future NPC. The second item in particular was coveted by everyone for being one of the coolest items in the game at the time. Those Goblin Archers were also not in 1.0.x. In some ways, this actually made earlier invasions easier because the Goblin Spellcasters were the only source of ranged damage for them and they only spawned in one or two at a time. Archers on the other hand are very common during invasions.

By the way, I have a correction for you DoubleNegative. Waterleaf blooms in the rain, yes, but it also blooms when underwater. If you can manipulate water onto it so that a whole tile of water is covering the plant, it will bloom. At least, this is how it used to be at least until 1.2.x. I'm assuming it's still in the game as of current.

edit: Apparently I'm wrong and the devs just can't stop altering the way things work in this game. Honestly, the constant theme of "oh is this too powerful or popular, better nerf it or make it extra grindy" really started bugging me around the time later 1.2 versions launched. There was a while where I was completely turned off by the game because of that mentality.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nah, 1.2.3. changed the method from submerging it to when it rains.

You used to be able to harvest all the herbs at once and get seeds from them until they changed the blooming conditions in a later patch. Sadly, these conditions make that no longer the case.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my god, I completely forgot about that little secondary effect the sunglasses have.

:allears:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ah yes, the laser.

Probably the best weapon for a very long time. Only other weapon/armor setup that could compete with it at this point would require you to jump into a few other biomes.

Makes a great light source too if you can stand the constant noise.

As for the goblins....they use to be a heck of a lot more annoying before npcs learned how to fight.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Okay, what the actual gently caress? It's been a while since I played, but I was under the impression that you could have either the Crimson or the Corruption in a world, not both at the same time. Everything I've read online points towards that fact too. How :psyduck:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So what was that rotating circle at your base in the video?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Nuramor posted:

So what was that rotating circle at your base in the video?

From what I could tell, it was centered on the Dryad, so maybe it was something she was doing?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

DoubleNegative posted:

Yoyos are incredibly good melee weapons. I have never used them too much because they were introduced after I had long since stopped trying to play as a melee character.
I feel this is an important point to stress. Melee builds are decent for when you're just running around, and there's some later armor sets that give bonuses specifically for building a tank or a melee DPSer, but unless you have massively over-leveled equipment or god-like skills, you want a build with some kind of ranged attack to deal with bosses or certain other events. I suppose it might work better if you were playing multiplayer and could have players across multiple classes, but for single-player it's quite impractical.

This is why meteorite is fantastic at this point in the game. All you need is at least a tungsten pickaxe and some explosives, and you can easily sequence break yourself a meteor before fighting any of the bosses. In normal mode, it about trivializes all of the early game bosses, and it makes them at least manageable in expert mode.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Yoyos are really neat "melee" weapons. They follow your cursor while you hold the mouse button down (higher-tier yoyos have longer range, and IIRC they can stay out for longer) and pretty much grind things to dust since they have low knockback and deal damage on contact. To make them really shine, however, you need some extra bits from an elusive source we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CptWedgie posted:

From what I could tell, it was centered on the Dryad, so maybe it was something she was doing?

It was! You get a +8 defense buff from being in the Dryad's Blessing circle. It's a big enough deal in early game that some players have been known to build a house to move her into in the middle of their arena for an upcoming boss.

• Locked thread