Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Pierzak posted:

Also, I seem to have missed what makes the bricks :catdrugs:. What is it?

It's a rave house.

Also I'm going to "accidentally find" some accessories and record.

Today's update may be a few hours late because this night an eldritch abomination dies. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Yapping Eevee posted:

That's one of only two I'm missing for Terraria; the other is for spending 1 gold on being healed by the nurse.

Easy way to do that is to enable PvP and let someone slap you around while you sit in front of the nurse constantly healing. Preferably with the Cobalt Shield equipped.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lazy Bear posted:

Easy way to do that is to enable PvP and let someone slap you around while you sit in front of the nurse constantly healing. Preferably with the Cobalt Shield equipped.

If you don't want to do that in PvP for some reason, just set up some dart traps between you and the nurse and mash the button to shoot yourself.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Double Punctuation posted:

If you don't want to do that in PvP for some reason, just set up some dart traps between you and the nurse and mash the button to shoot yourself.

I found a spot in my house where I could jump off and survive the landing with single digit HP.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pierzak posted:

As someone who put more hours into this than is healthy, let me say gently caress FISHING QUESTS. Do enough of them to show it off, then beg, borrow or steal the quest rewards and move on.

Also, I seem to have missed what makes the bricks :catdrugs:. What is it?

I think they're Rainbow Bricks, they naturally cycle through colors like that. I like using them for the Party Girl's house. You probably haven't seen them because the enemy that drops them has the most obscure spawn condition in the game- it has to be raining, you have to be in the Hallowed biome, but they don't actually spawn in that biome, so you have to hang out around the border for them to show up.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Uh, guys? If you want the nurse achievement, it's REALLY easy. The nurse will also cure debuffs for a few silver. Make or buy a small stack of ale, drink one for Tipsy, and then have the nurse remove the debuff one at a time. You can have it done with in under a minute.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 26, 2016

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I honestly didn't even know where was fishing before it was talked about here. Those quests sound awful though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Catsworth posted:

I honestly didn't even know where was fishing before it was talked about here. Those quests sound awful though.

They are. One of the items he gives you makes it significantly less of a waiting game though, unbreakable line or something, the rest of it is just traveling to the location, but that's what a space bridge is for.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Catsworth posted:

The individual quests are piss easy with even the barest amount of investment and knowledge unless the random biome for the day is a particularly painful one, the problem is you can only do one per ingame day, and if you want everything then you need to do 200 of them to get an achievement, as well as three specific items each of which have something like a 2.5% chance of dropping. Even if you cheese it by using a multiplayer server and constantly resetting the time it takes forever, and if you don't it'll take over four real life days to do.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The fishing quests are amazingly poorly implemented. Getting the better rewards gets more likely as you do more quests, but unless it's been fixed very recently, there's a point where the odds of getting prizes drops back to their original rates and stay there permanently for a given world, meaning that if you missed something you're actually better off making a new world JUST to fish in. There's few or no guarantees.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#25 - Another Brick in the Wall

Hello everyone. Welcome back to Rivershire. Today is probably gonna be a long update, you see... today we're going to fight the midpoint boss and officially transition to the second half of the game.

Are you all excited? I'm excited.

Before we do that, we're here in the jungle to look for a few items that have managed to slip through the cracks. One of these items is all but necessary to fish without going through a lot of headache, and the other is just fun to have and to use.

We're fairly deep into the jungle here, in a corner we've never been in before.

How interesting. We've found an ancient stone structure buried deep in the jungle.

Our molten pickaxe doesn't even scratch the surface of this stone.

Though thanks to an idiot skeleton, we can see inside this curious structure. What we're looking at here is called the Jungle Temple, and it's locked up super tight. This is somewhere we'll eventually explore very, very late in the second half of the game. Even if we could get inside right now, all we'd find is death from the very angry inhabitants.

And I thought I had a recording of it, but I guess I don't. We also found the entrance to this temple a little ways to the right. There were even some traps outside that we were somehow able to deconstruct and take for our own. Jungle temple traps are dangerous things, and are typically used by players in the construction of automated mob grinders.

While exploring the deep jungle, we found enough spores to create the jungle set of armor. This is what mages wear at the end of the first half of the game, and it's pretty decent all considered. To make the full set, you need 32 spores, 2 vines, and 10 stingers. So if you're daring enough to sneak into the jungle with an early game character, and skilled enough to navigate around, you could theoretically have the best magic set in the first half of the game pretty quickly.

I also mentioned the bee armor a few updates back. This requires you to kill the queen bee several times, but will let you summon several minions to help you fight. For just general dicking around the overworld, I find that this is the best armor to wear. Having a bunch of minions to fight things with you really helps with exploring.

If you combine the four strongest types of swords from the first half of the game, you get a unique weapon. You need to combine a Muramasa (from the dungeon), a Fiery Greatsword (from Hellstone), a Grass Sword (from the Jungle), and either a Crimtane or a Demonite sword.

The result is suitably impressive. But here's the catch... you can't combine these weapons together just anywhere.

Night's Edge is one of the few items you can only create at an evil altar.

This sword is worth all the effort, though. It out damages any melee weapon in the first half, has an amazing swing arc, and just looks badass.

While we're also showing off things... this is the Necro set that I mentioned many updates ago. This is the best ranged set in the first half, and it's what we're going to be using when we take on the midpoint boss. The set bonuses give you a 20% chance to not consume ammo, which stacks with other similar bonuses.

Right now Sam is wearing the Jungle Armor for the magic damage bonuses.

Jumping forward 2 and a half weeks, we're over at Eevee's rave house. Judging from the cat hanging overhead and the gaggle of fire imps following me, I'm guessing this was recorded just after the Dungeon Defenders 2 crossover event started. Why? Because I didn't start using the summoner armor until then, and the kitty cat is a reward from that event.

Anyway, look at the right side of the image. That nice lady there is the Party Girl, and she's one of the hardest NPCs to get to spawn. She only appears after you have 14 other NPCs living in your world, and she only has a 1-in-40 chance of spawning at the dawn of any given day once you've met the criteria.

There's something really fitting about the party girl NPC moving into the :pcgaming: house.

She only sells novelty items, so I doubt we'll ever buy anything from her. So I'm content to let her live out here in the LSD house by herself.

The one item she sells that's worth pointing out is the Party Center, which lets you throw a party on demand.

One of the weapons you can randomly find in the jungle is this sawed off shotgun, appropriately called a Boomstick. This thing is pretty devastating if you can get all of the shots to connect, plus it makes a satisfying sound when it fires.

The item underneath all of this madness is what we came for, though. Rarely in jungle shrines you can find an item called the Flower Boots. It causes flowers to grow wherever you walk, which sounds neat but harmless.

However, if you cut down those flowers, there's a chance that fishing bait will spawn. Flares, I should point out, instantly destroy any grass they're placed on top of. The bug net is also auto swing. I'm sure you can do the calculus on this.

We got three stacks of jungle grass seeds, as well as hundreds of pieces of fishing bait. We're set for basically forever. Because we can wall ourselves off while doing this, we're also safe from 99% of the enemies that spawn in the jungle.

So we did all of that exploring for some boots that let us get infinite fishing bait. Great, but why?

Because fishing is honestly kind of relaxing. It's not very hard, and there's no minigame involved. You just listen for the bobber to dip under the water and hit the button. You instantly reel the fish back in.

There's a lot of mechanics to fishing. For instance, you need 75 blocks of water together for a pond to be considered fishable. Whether that's 1x75 or 75x1 or anything in between doesn't matter. It just has to be at least 75 blocks.

There's also increasingly severe penalties applied for fishing in ponds smaller than 300 blocks. These penalties are to a stat called "fishing power" which governs what type of fish you fish up. If you're below, I believe, 50 fishing power you can fish up garbage like seaweed or old shoes.

The weather and time of day also have a small impact, both positive and negative, on your fishing power. There's a lot to keep track of, and it's barely worth remembering. The largest source of your fishing power will come from the rod you're using and the bait applied to it.

It's as easy as that. Also ignore the blatant editing in the gif.

Sometimes when you're fishing, you can fish up what are known as crates. These are goodie boxes that hold all sorts of stuff. There's a well known exploit that I'm going to kind of show off, but not indulge in too much. It involves a bunch of fishing crates and the second half of the game.

Fishing also gets you some neat rewards. If you do a number of quests for the angler NPC, you can get a ridable bunny mount.

Before I dive into fishing quests, I want to quickly show off alchemy. You need some empty bottles filled with water.

Combine bottled water with some amber, a moonglow plant, and some deathweed, and you can make a crate potion. When drunk, this potion gives you an increased chance to fish up crates.

There are dozens of alchemy recipes, and I forget most of them.

So, here's fishing quests. I've talked enough about them, so it's finally time to show off one.

The quest is easy enough. He tells you where you need to fish, and what the fish you need to catch looks like. If you mouse over the fish in the bottom right, you can see what it's called too. In this case, Bonefish.

Once you've found a good spot, just cast your line out and start fishing them in.

Sometimes you can fish up weird poo poo like the Rockfish.

70% hammer power is as much as our molten hamaxe. There's a similar fish you can get out at the beach, which is as powerful as a molten pickaxe. That would naturally obviate much of the progression in the first half, so I wisely decided to not pursue it.

Unless you're insanely unlucky, you'll get the fish you're looking for inside of a few casts. I have gotten a fishing quest right at 4:30 AM and taken until 4:05 AM the next day to get the fish the angler wanted.

Anyway, once you have the fish the angler wanted, talk to him again and hit the quest dialogue option.

The rewards aren't typically great. Fishing potions give you another 10 fishing power on top of what you already have, which is nothing to sneeze at.

There are dozens of types of fish out there. Some are more explosive than others.

...hahahahahhahaha.

Fishing quests can also reward you with a tome that lets you create a type of ropes from vines. The majority of the angler's rewards are 2% drops, but others require you to complete a certain number of quests. If you finish 30 quests for him, you get the best fishing pole in the game, for instance. But fishing quests also have The Big Three rewards.

The Sextant.

The Fisherman's Pocket Guide.

And the Weather Radio.

Together these three rewards create the Fish Finder.

There's also an extremely rare enemy called the Lost Girl. She only shows up at a very vanishingly small chance, and she has a 50% chance to drop an item called the Metal Detector. I got the item, but I was unfortunately not recording at the time. I was, instead, idling at my underground item farm and playing Pokemon Sun. When I looked back up at Terraria, I saw the metal detector on the ground.

You can combine the Metal Detector, the DPS Meter, and the Stopwatch to create the Goblin Tech.

If you combine the GPS, the REK 3000, the Fish Finder, and the Goblin Tech, you can make a PDA.

Combine the PDA and a magic mirror, and you have a smart phone.

We're now mostly set for the first half of the game.

I raided a couple of worlds to find two more Shiny Red Balloons.

We're combining them with our two remaining bottles.

We're then combining those two balloons with our original one to create the Bundle of Balloons. Now we can quadruple jump with just one accessory slot.

To prepare for the boss fight we're going to grab seven potions: Regeneration, Ironskin, Heartreach, Hunter, Archery, Thorns, and Magic Power.

You can probably guess what most of those do. The only one I don't think I've covered before is Heartreach, which just lets us grab healing hearts from farther away.

So are you guys ready to finally fight the boss?

We're standing at the far edge of our Hell Highway. Yes, I ran minecart track clear to the middle. That's our hard limit for this fight. If we can't beat this boss by halfway across a large world, then we have some pretty serious DPS problems.

But first, I know you guys were asking. This is Rivershire just before we take the boss on. We've explored a surprisingly small amount of it.

If you look closely, you can see I'm lying through my teeth. This shot was taken just after we beat the boss because I forgot to take one first. :ssh:

To summon this boss, we have to sacrifice the Guide. All it requires is tossing the voodoo doll into the lava, and the game will take care of the rest.

Wall of Flesh Boss Fight

Terraria Soundtrack vol. 1 - Boss 2

Goodbye Bradley. :patriot:

In case the official Wall of Flesh theme doesn't work for you, there's also an alternative available:

La-Mulana OST - 16 - High Speed Beast

The second theme is also fitting for what I hope are obvious reasons. If not, then you really need to play La-Mulana.

So we caught a glimpse of the Wall of Flesh before. But here's another look. These little mouth things are called The Hungry and they jut out from its body and try to bite us.

As for the Wall itself, it has 8,000 HP and slowly advances toward us. If we get caught behind it, a fleshy tendril will pick us up and throw us back in front of the Wall's path. If we retreat back to the surface or out of Hell, the Wall will instantly kill us.

In normal mode, the Wall is a pretty standard boss. If you've prepared like I have and built a highway, then you've taken care of 99% of the difficulty. I think this was honestly another case of me over-preparing for a boss, because this guy got curbstomped.

In Expert Mode, the Wall gets steadily faster as the fight wears on, it has more health, and the Hungry mobs will respawn. In Normal mode, once we've cleared the grabby mouths, the boss itself is wide open to attack.

Using a minecart is almost too easy. In addition to the Hungry maws, the Wall will also fire lasers at you. The lower its health gets, the more frequent these lasers get.

The Wall will also spawn enemies called Leeches. These little buggers always drop red hearts when killed, and barely have any health. They do have worm AI, though. So be careful of them trying to target you.

I love taking screenshots of this fight. They all look metal as hell.

Rivershire.jpg here. Sam riding backwards in a minecart, shooting a sawed off shotgun at an eldritch horror.

The boss falls before we're even 1/3 of the way to the Center.

When the Wall dies, it leaves behind a little box made out of the world's primary type of Evil. Your rewards for the fight are contained inside, to prevent them from falling into lava.

:swoon: A laser rifle!

So, anyway, the Wall has a bunch of rewards it can drop. It will always drop some money, some healing potions, and a Pwnhammer.

The game's giving us a hint here as to what we should do next. The Pwnhammer is the first item in the game that can destroy evil altars without you losing half of your max HP in retaliation.

Oh I think we're changing to a magic based build. Look at that beautiful, beautiful baby.

The Wall can also drop...

Breaker Blade - (The largest weapon in the game. It looks like Cloud's sword. It's massive, slow, and only deals 39 melee damage, making it inferior to the Night's Edge)
Clockwork Assault Rifle - (Fires in three-round bursts, with only the first shot consuming ammo, effectively giving it a 66.7% ammo preservation. The next step up from the Minishark, with all of the awesomeness that entails.)
Warrior Emblem
Sorcerer Emblem
Ranger Emblem
Summoner Emblem - (The four Emblems all increase the relevant type of damage you deal by 15%)
Wall of Flesh Mask - (You shouldn't have. No, really.)
Wall of Flesh Trophy - (Show your friends you've beaten a horror from beyond time and space!)

EDIT: Thanks to Lazy Bear for correcting me on the Pwnhammer and Clockwork Assault Rifle.

You guys? I think we just uncorked a very full, very pressured bottle full of very bad poo poo. Also pictured, an achievement I should have already gotten before now but didn't have thanks to a bug with the server software I play with.

I'm just gonna leave that there as a marker for our progress. We might come back at some point in the future to challenge the Wall again, and it'll be neat to see how fast we tear it apart.

While things don't look like they've changed... trust me, they have. Rivershire has entered Hard Mode.

NEXT TIME: Break a Demon Altar? What could possibly go wrong?

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 8, 2016

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The real Terraria begins here :getin:

I'm really curious about what's going to happen given that you have both corruption and crimson in your world.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Unleash the FUN.

As the screenshots show, the easiest way of dealing with the Wall is just running ahead of it (or, better yet, riding), while firing ranged weaponry backwards. There is a strategy for running at pace with it and melee'ing it to death, but the wealth of good ranged attack options at this point in development obviate the need.

The Wall of Flesh also changes surprisingly little in the Expert version of the fight; overall, the numbers just get larger. The Hungry generally aren't much of an impediment, but the increased speed of the Wall can be a problem, as it can become difficult to focus on dodging and staying ahead of the Wall while still fighting back. The long, perfectly straight minecart track shown in the update is complete overkill for a normal Wall fight with the level of equipment being used, but would be an entirely appropriate reaction to fighting the Wall of Flesh on Expert. It doesn't become a much more complicated fight, but that also doesn't mean it's easy, either.

Oh, and one more nuance to point out with fishing is that you can only catch one of a given Quest Fish at a time...unless you put it in a container, like your piggy bank, which will allow you to catch another. This process can be repeated to build up a backstock of any given quest fish. This generally doesn't matter much, though, as there's enough different kinds of quest fish that trying to stockpile them usually isn't any more worthwhile than just catching new ones as they're requested.

E:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'm really curious about what's going to happen given that you have both corruption and crimson in your world.

THE EVENT only concerns itself with the primary Evil in a given world, which in this case is Crimson. Any appropriate tiles of the Corruption will still do what they're supposed to, however. Certain things will still be limited by the fact that the 'native' Evil is Crimson.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So, all of the stuff past here? Didn't exist when the game came out.

That sounds like nothing now, but revisit this post when the LP is done.

The devs did a loving hell of a good job.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

The game's giving us a hint here as to what we should do next. The Pwnhammer is the first item in the game that can destroy evil altars without you losing half of your max HP in retaliation.

Clockwork Assault Rifle - (Fires in three-round bursts, with only the first shot consuming ammo, effectively giving it a 66.7% ammo preservation. The next step up from the Minishark, with all of the awesomeness that entails.)

Minor corrections, but important ones.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lazy Bear posted:

Minor corrections, but important ones.

Thanks. Edited those into the post.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

GeneX posted:

So, all of the stuff past here? Didn't exist when the game came out.

That sounds like nothing now, but revisit this post when the LP is done.

The devs did a loving hell of a good job.

Hell, there's been a ton of stuff that we already have seen that didn't exist at launch. They definitely did an excellent job, adding more than anyone would have expected or could ask for.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Another thing to point out with the pwnhammer is that regardless of whether or not you're using it or a superior hammer, demon/crimson altars can only be destroyed in a hard mode world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

The Wall can also drop...

Breaker Blade - (The largest weapon in the game. It looks like Butt's sword. It's massive, slow, and only deals 39 melee damage, making it inferior to the Night's Edge)

:v:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

What, you don't remember Butt Strife, from Tina Belcher's erotic reimagining of Final Fantasy VII?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
DoubleNegative has an app that changes all uses of the word cloud to butt for some reason, he mentioned it upthread. I suppose this has infected even the posts.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I had a world with corruption first and crimson on the side and let me tell you, things got weird.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This is the fight I save all my Beenades for. They (and the Bee Gun) absolutely rip the Hungry apart and do great for wrecking the Wall itself while allowing you to focus on evasion.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bit late to the discussion, but I recently got the 200 Angler quests achievement. In doing so, I got the parts to make four PDA's, and there's still an item the Angler can reward you with I haven't seen.

Right about quest number 160 I realised there was a way to rush the achievement in a fraction of the time. Go to wherever you catch the quest fish, catch it, open your inventory and throw it away. Don't trash it, dump it onto the terrain. Do this say ten times (or more if you are catching the quest fish quick) then when you are ready, go stand on the pile of quest fish. Normally you can only have one in your inventory at a time, so you pick up the fish in your inventory and hold it with the mouse. This counts as not being in your inventory, so you will automatically suck up every last fish sitting on the floor. Take them home, dump them into a chest in the Angler's room, make new characters, log in, grab a fish, turn it in, repeat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

DoubleNegative has an app that changes all uses of the word cloud to butt for some reason, he mentioned it upthread. I suppose this has infected even the posts.

Oh I'm aware. That app has to be like four years old now or something.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

King Doom posted:

Bit late to the discussion, but I recently got the 200 Angler quests achievement. In doing so, I got the parts to make four PDA's, and there's still an item the Angler can reward you with I haven't seen.

Right about quest number 160 I realised there was a way to rush the achievement in a fraction of the time. Go to wherever you catch the quest fish, catch it, open your inventory and throw it away. Don't trash it, dump it onto the terrain. Do this say ten times (or more if you are catching the quest fish quick) then when you are ready, go stand on the pile of quest fish. Normally you can only have one in your inventory at a time, so you pick up the fish in your inventory and hold it with the mouse. This counts as not being in your inventory, so you will automatically suck up every last fish sitting on the floor. Take them home, dump them into a chest in the Angler's room, make new characters, log in, grab a fish, turn it in, repeat.

The only thing prevented is catching a quest fish while you have one in your inventory. If you chuck it in a chest or your piggy bank, you can catch as many as you want.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It also doesn't solve the actual bottleneck of only being able to turn in one quest every in-game day.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

SatansOnion posted:

What, you don't remember Butt Strife, from Tina Belcher's erotic reimagining of Final Fantasy VII?

Read that as Tifa Belcher

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Read that as Tifa Belcher

that's her self insert, yeah

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

RickVoid posted:

It also doesn't solve the actual bottleneck of only being able to turn in one quest every in-game day.

Generate a new character as quickly as possible, grab the quest fish they need from the chest, drop off reward, delete the character and generate a new one

ad nauseam

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Is it required to do the angler quests without exiting the game to count for the chain quest rewards? I would think so because I have two sextants now.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

SugarAddict posted:

Is it required to do the angler quests without exiting the game to count for the chain quest rewards? I would think so because I have two sextants now.

No, it's completely random. There's a 2% chance to get most tools, so you're looking at around 50 rounds.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#26 - Gone Guru

Hello everyone. Welcome back to Rivershire. We're in hard mode now, and a lot of poo poo has changed. There are new enemies all over the place and even a new biome has sprung up. We've got a lot of ground to cover, so there's no time to dawdle.

Now that we're in hard mode, we can build a house in this artificial glowing mushroom biome. Doing so will coax a new NPC out of hiding. We won't be doing that this update, but we will soon.

With a lot of new content to explore, I decided to head left first. The crimson biome is encroaching on the right side, and there's some no man's land between us and the corruption on the left, which makes it more safe to explore right now.

It's in the desert that we find the first new thing in hard mode. A mummy. There are actually three types of mummies that will spawn in hard mode. The regular one, shown here, a mummy for the corruption/crimson, and a mummy for the new biome. All three types have different drops.

The only thing we're interested in from a regular mummy is an accessory called the Fast Clock. It drops at a 1% rate, and is one of those pieces of the mega immunity accessory. It specifically renders us immune to the slow debuff.

The other two types of mummies also drop different pieces of the immunity accessory.

This guy's not exactly difficult to kill. 130 HP is honestly one of the smaller totals of hard mode exclusive enemies.

Oh, what's this?

Terraria Soundtrack vol. 1 - The Hallow

This is the new biome for hard mode, and it's called The Hallow. A reductive way to explain it would be... if Crimson and Corruption are the manifestations of Evil in Rivershire, then Hallow is Good taking root.

Don't get me wrong, though. The Hallow is not our friend and it is incredibly loving dangerous.

Pixies are just the most common manifestation of that danger. These little things appear commonly in hallowed areas and if they touch you, they inflict the slow debuff.

Their drop, pixie dust, is used to make the next highest tier of healing potion.

Hallowed landscape is remarkably pretty, I have to admit.

You may not recognize it now, but this little pond is where I demonstrated fishing in the previous update.

And this... this used to be corruption.

:pwn: In fact, it still is. Well, the good news is that on the left side of the world, the spread of corruption is permanently halted insofar as spreading toward our base is concerned. Hallow, like Corruption and Crimson, will spread like wildfire through "untainted" blocks, but will not allow either form of evil to spread through it.

It's also worth pointing out that NPCs can't live in houses that have too much ambient evil, but they can live in a hallowed hellhole quite happily.

Corruption was always kind of an afterthought on the left side of the world.

Some people have expressed concern that having corruption so close to the jungle means that it's screwed. That the corruption will spread through the jungle and eat whole. In earlier versions of the game, they were right.

However, since 2015 and the 1.3 patch, the jungle can take care of itself. We'll cover why eventually, but just be aware that the jungle in all of its terrifying deadly glory is not going anywhere.

It, too, has new enemies. These fish don't have any notable drops, and are just generic fodder enemies.

The Derpling also has no notable drops, and it's a sign that our welcome in the jungle has just been worn out.

We're wearing the single best set of ranged combat armor in normal mode and this rear end in a top hat just dealt 63 damage to us through our defenses. That's 10 pounds of nope in a 5 pound bag right there.

Retreating back into the "safety" of the corruption and we run into yet another new enemy. This winged slime is called a Slimer, and it has two lives. Once we "kill" it the first time, its wings fall off and it becomes a regular if pissed off corrupt slime.

Flying in to greet us is not an eater of souls. That's a Corruptor, and most of the people reading this update just involuntarily shuddered at the mere sight and mention of its name. Corruptors like to spit pure corruption at you, and until the 1.2 patch, that spit would actually spread the corruption. This spit also inflicts the "Weak" debuff if it hits you.

The good news is that the Corruptor also drops an accessory that grants you immunity to being rendered weak. It's a 1% drop and, say it with me now, it's part of the immunity mega accessory.

Corruptors also have a metric fuckton of health.

You remember all those weapons that were so good all throughout the first half? Yeah, they're trash now. Hard mode has basically reset the totem pole, with us being firmly at the bottom now. All of our armor is the equivalent of babby's first suit of wooden armor at the start of the game.

There are new ores to find during hard mode, but we have to be a bit proactive in making them appear in the world.

Remember the Pwnhammer we found last time? We need to use it to break apart altars of concentrated evil. We need to do this three times.

There is a price to pay, however. Each altar that we break summons several of these Wraith enemies. These guys will relentlessly follow us across the world, and are capable of flying through solid blocks. They also spawn like crazy during a blood moon, and will be the number one reason why we stay well the gently caress away from our base during blood moons from now on. They are also another source of the Fast Clock accessory.

There are also other prices to pay for smashing these altars, but we'll see them in due time. The most obscure penalty is that there's a 66% chance, per smashed altar, that the game will randomly convert a single tile of stone somewhere in the world to hallow/corruption/crimson.

We can smash as many altars as we like, and the game will keep spawning more ore throughout the world for us to find and collect. But each "round" of three that we smash spawns half as much as the time before. Here I smashed six altars, which gives us a lot of ore to find without diminishing returns kicking in too hard.

So like at the start of the game, the hard mode ores also come in pairs.

Cobalt / Palladium
Mythril / Orichalcum
Adamantite / Titanium

Progression through these ores is pretty strict, too. We have to have a Palladium Pickaxe before we can even start to mine Mythril.

With the jungle blocking us to the left, let's see what horrors await to the right.

Wandering eyes are like the big brother to demon eyes, and they actually operate like miniature Eye of Cthulhus. Once we knock off half of these guys' health, the cornea and iris drops out and little teeth appear in its mouth.

While these guys don't replace demon eyes, they do share drops with them.

Well, I knew it was bound to happen eventually. This is the second tree out from our base, and the crimson has already spread this far. The only thing that's stopped it from going farther is this tree creating a natural barrier. I really doubt that barrier is going to hold, so I'm going to have to transplant some Hallow over here just to fight the spread.

See, in the first half of the game, evil biomes spread, albeit slowly. They can be completely halted by a simple sunflower. In hard mode? The only thing that will stop the spread of evil is Hallow or a large enough barrier. Like, say, our hellevator. Or a particularly large tree. To prevent evil from spreading, you need, I believe, four blocks of non-corruptible material.

Clanking from behind alerts me to yet another new enemy. Possessed armors are one of the most common enemies in hard mode. They don't have any drops, and are just yet another fodder enemy to kill.

Meet the Herpling, a hard mode crimson enemy. They drop a crafting station called a "meat grinder" at a 0.5% chance. The meat grinder just creates flesh themed furniture and walls.

By the way, I haven't just been calling it hard mode all this update as a colloquialism. The game has indeed gotten much harder. That's a Wraith on the left side of the screen.

The two slimes in the picture are Crimslimes, and they also have a 0.5% chance to drop a meat grinder.

After yet more enemies appear, I decide that discretion is indeed the better part of valor.

I've already shown off the crimson desert, but here it is again. Dark mummies can spawn in here, just like light mummies can spawn in the hallowed desert. Dark mummies can drop the megaphone and blindfold, which prevent blindness and silence respectively. They can also drop a neat little thing called a dark shard at a 10% chance. This shard is a crafting material, and we're going to be wanting some of those.

Light mummies, for what it's worth, drop a light shard and the trifold map, which prevents confusion.

For the time being, the dungeon is completely unchanged. This actually makes it one of the safer places to go during the early parts of hard mode.

To end this update, let's take a tour of our hellevator, and see if we can find any of that new ore.

To the casual observer, Palladium looks a lot like a darker copper ore. We can mine this with our molten pickaxe, so we'll grab it and continue on.

Mythril ore is a toothpaste green color, and we can't even scratch it with our molten pickaxe.

We'll have to return to this spider cavern once we have some better weapons and armor. There are new enemies and weapons to be found inside.

Armored skeletons are a common enemy underground. They have too much health, and they can inflict the broken armor debuff, which mercifully no longer lasts 5 minutes like it did in earlier versions of the game. Broken armor cuts your defense in half. Thankfully they can drop the accessory that grants immunity to it.

Armored skeletons can also drop at a 1-in-150 chance (0.67%) a melee weapon called the Beam Sword. It shoots its blade out like a beam, like the Master Sword does. It's basically the upgraded version of the enchanted sword.

Thaaat is not good.

Oh gently caress. This is a world map view of the lower part of our Hellevator. That big red area in the middle is my AFK item farm. It's now in the middle of the largest stretch of underground crimson in Rivershire.

The good news is that we can find these guys, who drop an item called ichor. Ichor is used to create a good many crimson-themed items during hard mode, including perhaps the greatest spell in the game. More on that when we find enough materials to make it.

Also present in the screenshot is a bigger version of the common cave bat. These giant bats inflict confused, and for that reason are far more annoying than their tiny cousins. The confused debuff reverses your left and right movement keybinds for a short while, which is just as annoying as it sounds.

This little thing is a Floaty Gross, and it is like a crimson version of the wraith. It's yet another source of the vitamins drop, which prevent weakness.

My beautiful underground farm has been ruined by crimson. :(

Hell is actually another one of the safest places to be in early hard mode.

The ash on the border of the cavern layer can also spawn hardmode ores. Normally this far down, I'd expect to see Titanium or Mythril, but I'm not going to complain about a fairly large vein of Palladium, especially when we need as much as we can get right now.

The little swirly thing in front of us is a soul item. Any (non meteor head) enemy killed in underground crimson or corruption has a chance to drop a soul of night at a 20% chance per. There is a hallowed version called the soul of light with the same drop mechanics.

The other thing in front of us is called an obsidian rose, and until it dropped I had no idea this thing even existed. It apparently drops at a 2% chance from a fire imp, and it reduces lava damage.

So this is kind of weird. The bottom of the first tunnel we made into Hell is hallowed. :shrug: This spot is nowhere near where we killed the Wall, so I dunno why they met here of all places.

Basically the spot that you kill the wall the first time creates a V shape spreading out from it of both hallow and the native evil of your world. It's why the entire bottom of our hellevator is thoroughly crimson despite being wide enough that it couldn't spread that way naturally.

Like I said before, just because Hallow is "good" doesn't mean it won't rip you a new rear end in a top hat. This fellow here is a chaos elemental, and he rushes at you and teleports around like Kurt Wagner on crack. His most notable drop is the Rod of Discord, which lets us teleport around like him.

There's also an enchanted sword enemy. It's another source of the nazar drop from the dungeon.

Things in the underground Hallow get kind of out of hand.

Yes, there's a hallowed bat too. Because I don't suffer enough. All these hallowed enemies, I should add, have a chance to drop an item called the "blessed apple" at 0.67% chance. This apple lets us ride a unicorn for a mount!

We have 47 health here, and the hallowed enemies haven't stopped coming. So I think we should retreat back home.

While almost every one of our NPCs has new stuff to sell, the arms dealer in particular has a new toy for us. This shotgun is a nice upgrade to our boomstick, and we can use it to create an even stronger weapon pretty soon. We just need to get several Souls of Night and some Dark Shards.

While I'm organizing stuff at the base, a traveling merchant shows up. He finally is selling a portable cement mixer again, so I buy it instantly.

I don't think the kimono look suits Sam.

I also finally buy a safe. The merchant has been selling this since, I believe, we killed the Eye. It costs 25 gold coins, so it's kind of expensive. I'm gonna use this to store all the souls we collect.

But with the cement mixer, we can finally build this accessory. All four bits of it are randomly sold by traveling merchants, and having it makes building so much less of a headache.

Much better. A green Mickey Mouse shirt and faded jeans suits Sam a lot better than that stuffy kimono.

So anyway, we have 63 palladium ore, and each bar takes 3 ore. So we have 21 bars here to play with.

While there are a lot of tempting items here, one is catching my eye instantly.

Sure that's nice and all, but...

Now that's the ticket. Why would you ever make a pickaxe when you can make power tools?

We can also make a chainsaw. Though right now I think the drill is a much better use of our currently limited amounts of palladium.

I've got the power!

NEXT TIME: More spelunking. We need Palladium and badly!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 8, 2016

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

DoubleNegative posted:

Now that's the ticket. Why would you ever make a pickaxe when you can make power tools?

Mostly because the drill noise gets irritating after about a minute.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Jade Rider posted:

Mostly because the drill noise gets irritating after about a minute.

Also much lower knockback which can be an issue if you get attacked while mining. The knockback on the pickax gives you time to siwtch to an actual weapon or even kill weaker enemy's without interrupting your mining. but mostly the noise.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
In fact when hard mode was first implemented the Pickaxes weren't available, just the Drills. They added the Picks in a later patch due to complaints of how noisy the Drills were.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I actually find the drill sound satisfying, to be honest.

Though getting Mythril in a world is a raw deal, in my opinion. This is an opinion thing largely, but I vastly prefer Orichalcum. At least you got Titanium.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Another fun thing: Power tools are technically overall inferior to their normal counterparts in some ways even as tools, not just as weapons, in spite of increased use speed. There's nothing more painful than trying to do large building projects while suffering not only the reduced range some of the power tools have over their regular counterparts, but also the fact that many power tools cut out and stop operating after about a minute of holding the button down. Loud, annoying, and unreliable.

Also, Expert mode trivia about the bats: in Expert mode, most of the 'bat' type enemies inflict a debuff called Feral Bite. This debuff gives you increased damage for a minute, but tanks your regeneration and inflicts you with other status effects at random. You can't block the Feral Bite debuff from happening, but the mega accessory will block all of its lesser debuffs, making it an especially desirable spelunking tool in Expert mode. Once again, this is only in Expert mode worlds, regardless of whether Hard Mode is activated. The naming scheme continues to invite confusion.

Finally, I'm a little surprised you aren't springing for that NPC right off the bat; something you said earlier in the lp makes me suspect you're a big fan of them.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Also of note, it seems you aren't eating stuff to get the "well fed" buff, considering eating cooked fish gives it for 20 minutes, and eating a pumpkin pie gives it for 40 minutes, I would imaging you would always have it up or something, considering the substantial bonus for the absurd amount of time.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

SugarAddict posted:

Also of note, it seems you aren't eating stuff to get the "well fed" buff, considering eating cooked fish gives it for 20 minutes, and eating a pumpkin pie gives it for 40 minutes, I would imaging you would always have it up or something.

Fishing is boring, and all his pumpkins are going into construction. Or something like that. :haw:

• Locked thread